Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

rifles posted:

I bet the cab corners and all of the brake lines are rusted out. If you want an old Ford, the only one I see decent on Craigslist for that kind of cash is this F100, a 302 and 99% chance of it being a T18 which is incredibly overbuilt for anything you could do with it.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5073819679.html

drat that is a $2000 truck in eastern Iowa. I want an old beater truck so bad, but I don't want my feet to go thru the floorboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smnsuperstar
Jan 8, 2009

So I rang "Jerry" and as he went on about condition etc I asked how much he'd be considering to drop, i said that ide have to drive a thousand or so k to get to him and then insurance and rego, he than drops this line on me. "$7000? Nah mate, im looking for 12k, must of been some sort of misprint, serious buyers should know its worth more then that anyway."

That was pretty much all I could tolerate and finished the conversation. Is it worth anywhere near 7k let alone 12k? Me hateing this guy just makes me want it even more.

P.S

Thanks for nothing Jerry, you prick.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Misprint my rear end, you type it in and it shows up on the loving website, there's no printing involved. He thinks you're a sucker since you're interested from so far away and wants to gently caress you out of even more money.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5021098834.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Sent the seller a message, but if someone buys this out from under me I won't have the dilemma over spending most of my project car savings on tofu delivery. They're willing to come down a little or throw in the 4AG.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5095811803.html

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

smnsuperstar posted:

Not Craigslist but Australia’s equivalent is “gumtree” as our craigslist dumps. I’ve been procrastinating calling this guy for a week or so now, the drama is that it’s over a thousand k away from me and a car transporter wont transport it with said added parts. Ide love to drive this back down, reckon it would do the 1200 KM?

gently caress now that I’m typing this post its becoming more reasonable a purchase.

1927 dodge ute
Fast four motor
Runs great
Converted to 12 volt system
Brakes good
Glass good
Tyres good two steel rims need welding
Removable hard top
Needs interior
Great start to a rat rod or resto
Spare gearbox and parts
Located petrie
No swaps
Advertise elsewhere

As a fellow AusGoon who has been eyefucking that ad for at least ten minutes: Buy it, but don't be a silly oval office about it - rent a flat bed and get it back that way.

E: On the other hand, it's not like Petrie is in the middle of nowhere.

DPM fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 1, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ville Valo posted:

Sent the seller a message, but if someone buys this out from under me I won't have the dilemma over spending most of my project car savings on tofu delivery. They're willing to come down a little or throw in the 4AG.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5095811803.html

Considering clean ones direct from Japan are slowly creeping up in price (about £8000/$12500 currently) that's cheap as gently caress. Jealous.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Who am I convincing to buy this? http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5072505261.html

I don't know why it's listed in providence when it's on long island but yeah, someone should probably buy that. Where else are you gonna get a crane truck / wrecker for $4300?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

88h88 posted:

Considering clean ones direct from Japan are slowly creeping up in price (about £8000/$12500 currently) that's cheap as gently caress. Jealous.

Wait, you're telling me people pay that much for a clean stock one with nothing done? Why?!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

How many parts do you think are interchangable on that thing with a Lada Riva, since they're both Fiat 124 derivatives? If you're buying an oddball car you might as well know whether some other oddball car has parts that fit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

howling_mad posted:

Wait, you're telling me people pay that much for a clean stock one with nothing done? Why?!

It's a 'classic' car these days. And some people really ruin these... :/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

howling_mad posted:

88h88 posted:

It's a 'classic' car these days. And some people really ruin these... :/
This. They attract knobends like nothing this side of a base-model BMW, and you're buying a 30-year-old car with the last decade of owners being cunts who think they're Bunta Fujiwara.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This one's apparently been a rolling chassis at one point and built up into this, but not before having a 13B (that then grenaded and was replaced with another 4AC?)

I think it's more trouble than I'm looking for, despite the price being right.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

Who am I convincing to buy this? http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5072505261.html

I don't know why it's listed in providence when it's on long island but yeah, someone should probably buy that. Where else are you gonna get a crane truck / wrecker for $4300?

So I can't get a bead on exactly where this is, but if the google maps location on the ad is any indication, it's about 10 miles away from me :stare:

I can't even imagine the hilarious look on my nosy neighbor's face if I brought that poo poo home and added it to the collection on the driveway :banjo:

e: It's probably as cheap as it is because something like that is going to be a tough sell out here. Nobody in this area wants (or has any use for) something like that - and the few people who would be interested don't want to deal with the inevitable fallout from their bitchy neighbors. Which is why (I'm guessing) it's on everybody else's CL and doesn't show up on the one for LI.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 2, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just buy it, hide it behind a tree. Problem solved.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5083606890.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I see that Baltimore's drug problem has gotten worse.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

This. They attract knobends like nothing this side of a base-model BMW, and you're buying a 30-year-old car with the last decade of owners being cunts who think they're Bunta Fujiwara.

...and this is a shame because I genuinely love the way Sprinters look and I'm not a knobend. Honest.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So are SVT Contours the new fun performance car for no money? I swear these rarely go for more than a few thousand and they're not terrible, if you can get past the horrible design of the Contour.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5092158750.html

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Who took a poo poo in the engine bay?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Tonk posted:

So are SVT Contours the new fun performance car for no money? I swear these rarely go for more than a few thousand and they're not terrible, if you can get past the horrible design of the Contour.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5092158750.html

They've been cheap for a while, there's always one or two for sale in the area for under $2000.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The headlights on that BMiata appear to be held in place with insulating foam, and the hood ...is that hinged with a cabinet hinge?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
The fit and finish are loving fantastic. Cue Jim Carrey's barfy face in Dumb and Dumber or In Living Color...

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 3, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5075200477.html

:eyepop:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, you can hardly make them less safe in a collision, so there's that.

Can't imagine it does much for the torsional rigidity, though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Not how you roll mon-Sunday anymore...

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5102378725.html

In other news, seen at least five separate 60's Continentals with massive rims for sale.

They're destroying one of the greatest sedans in history :negative:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

They've been cheap for a while, there's always one or two for sale in the area for under $2000.

So are these pretty decent cheap little sedans with a bit of performance? The duratech motor is pretty decent, I'm just wondering how much of a wet noodle it is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So are these pretty decent cheap little sedans with a bit of performance? The duratech motor is pretty decent, I'm just wondering how much of a wet noodle it is.

The one I drove was pretty peppy, like 170hp I think? The same motor as the SVT Focus I think? It was the go-to joke suggestion here for a while but they're not terrible. There used to be a turboed one here locally pushing some crazy power to the wheels.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

The one I drove was pretty peppy, like 170hp I think? The same motor as the SVT Focus I think? It was the go-to joke suggestion here for a while but they're not terrible. There used to be a turboed one here locally pushing some crazy power to the wheels.

How about handling? I often thought about picking one up cheap, fix it, then flip it after a while.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How about handling? I often thought about picking one up cheap, fix it, then flip it after a while.

Had better suspension, brakes, and a bunch of exterior/interior stuff. They added 25hp to the base 2.5L V6 for the SVT model and it only came with a 5 speed.

I wanted one in the late 90's, but was in high school so nope. Personally, I'd get a V6 LS with a 5 speed, but the Contour was an interesting thing for Ford to throw SVT at.

The engine in the SVT Focus was a tuned version of the 2.0 and they added like 40hp to it.

Compared to the current selection of performance commuters, they're pretty boring, but for the late 90's the Contour was quick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The sideskirts are notoriously poo poo, I'd wager every single SVT Contour's fell off at some point or another.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
So I just checked out the Brisbane Australia Craigslist for shits 'n gigs assuming no-one actually uses it (we have Gumtree) and found this. There are 3 current US ads on there.

So do people realise they are posting their ads in an entirely different country's page or is there something I'm missing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Up here in Canada Kijiji is the used ad platform of choice, but craigs is still around but 80% scams. It's probably just automated scam ads or something.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Rhyno posted:

195 or 205 depending on year. One popular mod is to take the SVT top end and slide a 3.0 block from a Duratec Taurus under it.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

What in the gently caress.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That might be the gayest truck I've ever seen.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I spy Mariner Blue.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

There's one of those in the parking garage at work only it's white. I don't know what to think about the fact that there are 2 confirmed convertible CRX's in the world.

wormwood
Aug 10, 2004
It smells like fish.

Sir Tonk posted:

Had better suspension, brakes, and a bunch of exterior/interior stuff. They added 25hp to the base 2.5L V6 for the SVT model and it only came with a 5 speed.

I wanted one in the late 90's, but was in high school so nope. Personally, I'd get a V6 LS with a 5 speed, but the Contour was an interesting thing for Ford to throw SVT at.

The engine in the SVT Focus was a tuned version of the 2.0 and they added like 40hp to it.

Compared to the current selection of performance commuters, they're pretty boring, but for the late 90's the Contour was quick.

I owned an SVT Contour for several years, buying it with just under 50,000 miles and selling it around 196,000.

It was pretty fun to drive, and I loved it. The engine is relatively punchy, makes a nice noise, and it handled pretty well for a sporty, front-drive sedan. As the quote says, for its era, the SVT Contour compared favorably with other vehicles of the same type (195 bhp in 98-99, 205 bhp for later models, 0-60 in a tick or two over seven seconds, 15.4 in the quarter), but time hasn't been kind to its performance standing (don't go racing any V6 Camrys). Watch for any transmission issues, especially the third gear synchros which are notoriously weak. And as another poster said, the side skirts are very prone to falling off. They are also just about impossible to replace. There is a pretty decent support community at Contour.org, which was an invaluable resource whenever I had to diagnose any issues with mine.

I miss mine, really. If I every found another one, in good shape, I'd be hard pressed not to buy it. The problem is that they were cheap when new, got even cheaper when sold as used, and most were finally used up. Mine had many issues when I finally sold it, an event hurried along by the impending birth of my second child. Although classified as a mid-size, it is a pretty small sedan. Car seats do not agree with the back seat.

One more thing...the cupholders suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well that sure is a "cencal style truck".

Don't you dare compare those to hellaflush tardmobiles within earshot of lovers of either though because the results are usually illogical, irate rants from offensively stupid, very angry wankers.