Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

This happened in High Roulette the other day.

White Cake asked me to marry her, Raspberry Muffin wanted me to renounce my FC and join hers, and Blueberry Muffin made several sexual passes at me.

Good party.

But how was their dps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Countblanc posted:

Please do because I don't understand technology

I was looking up how to call different options while planning to write something for you but I found this. They most likely explain everything useful to the average user way better my awful writing can.
http://guidescroll.com/2015/03/ffxiv-act-and-plugin-guide/

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 4, 2015

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Holyshoot posted:

But how was their dps?

MCH was pretty subpar :mmmhmm:

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

King Cohort posted:

People want to know if I am actually doing my job in this cooperative video game so we can successfully defeat encounters and not waste the time of three/seven other people?
TOXIC
PROBLEMATIC
I'M BEING TRIGGERED
There is a DPS meter in the game, it is called bismarck extreme.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Few days back I finally got to make a character(not on excalibur) and played for a bit. Digging the game so far so I want to switch over to excalibur but I can't seem to because the server transfer tool says I have no characters. This has me pretty flummoxed as I don't know what is wrong, going by what the little mini faq says I seem to be doing everything correctly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Evil Canadian posted:

Few days back I finally got to make a character(not on excalibur) and played for a bit. Digging the game so far so I want to switch over to excalibur but I can't seem to because the server transfer tool says I have no characters. This has me pretty flummoxed as I don't know what is wrong, going by what the little mini faq says I seem to be doing everything correctly.

You can only transfer at times when the server is open to new characters being created.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Evil Canadian posted:

This is a shot in the dark but it might just be that you're too new.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

You can only transfer at times when the server is open to new characters being created.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, since I transferred to Excalibur on a weekday night which should be like peak usage time.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Failboattootoot posted:

This is a shot in the dark but it might just be that you're too new.

Oh I wasn't even aware that is a thing. I made the character about 3 days? ago now I think, how long would you have to wait?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Just tried to have a buddy who is trying the game try to make a character and it's closed tonight. I'll probably try again at 4am :(

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful replies. It sounds like I'm ultimately better off waiting till I upgrade to a ps4 or preferably a new pc. Monk still sounds fun but I'd probably level something else and then use the armory experience bonus. It's a shame they can't use positionals solo, I feel like that would make it hard to get a real grasp of the class until dungeon running.

I'm also glad my question spawned a discussion of macros and how they affect GDC, good to know for the future (I like the idea of many buttons over 2 macros anyway but still good info).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Are the videos that Yoship streamed about the process for rebuilding the game still anywhere? Of particular, I'm looking for the one where he apologizes for having to downgrade the graphics, but look at this sweet new eye technology they're putting into the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I just got to 60 on miner. Where do I go from here? I'm still using the dhalmelskin set if it matters, because each piece of serpentskin on the MB cost upwards of 200k.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just saw Joye holding a pistol the cool way in a cutscene. Namely, she had the good /cpose where you hold the gun out like you're prepared for battle (the man one), and not the dumb female one where you're doing what I can only describe as Charlie's Angels but with Downs.

Is that a hyur thing or is it just specific to Joye?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Verranicus posted:

So I just got to 60 on miner. Where do I go from here? I'm still using the dhalmelskin set if it matters, because each piece of serpentskin on the MB cost upwards of 200k.

Start earning scrip to buy the level 58 stuff. Next week there will be more stuff to buy and a new level of scrip.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fister Roboto posted:

Start earning scrip to buy the level 58 stuff. Next week there will be more stuff to buy and a new level of scrip.

What would be my best target for scrip at my gear level? And is there an accepted best skill combo for getting the most bang for your buck?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Verranicus posted:

What would be my best target for scrip at my gear level? And is there an accepted best skill combo for getting the most bang for your buck?

Have 600 GP, then go after w/e Cloud banana/Heaven Lemon equivalents are (lowest script giver). then you can guarantee at least 1 turn in per node by doing Discerning Eye + Methodical Appraisal x 2, then Utmost Caution + Modest x 2

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Bismarck Extreme is when you start taking long hard looks at your friends who are still wearing Dreadwyrm gear

Also you know what? Kind of a bad fight. If they wanna gate poo poo behind a DPS wall great but I swear to god several of the AOEs in that fight hover slightly off the ground making it hard to judge if you've dodged from certain camera angles

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Coughing Hobo posted:

This happened in High Roulette the other day.

White Cake asked me to marry her, Raspberry Muffin wanted me to renounce my FC and join hers, and Blueberry Muffin made several sexual passes at me.

Good party.

Raspberry and Blueberry are both friends of mine on Gilgamesh!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i am doing the hildibrand questline during these dungeon queues and why is this not its own game holy poo poo

there are 800 final fantasy spinoffs square please give me Final Fantasy: Manderville Mayhem or something

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm still kind of disappointed that Hildebrand is not in Theatrhythm Curtain Call

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Most important is to have at least 600 gp, otherwise it's probably going to be really painful to collect anything that has significant challenge in it (basically anything requiring 450 collection for scrip turnins).

It's going to be slow to start out with, but this rotation pretty much maximizes collectability and gives you one gathering attempt at the node. I still use it for high level collection (58, 59) scrip turnins.
code:
/ac "Utmost Caution" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Discerning Eye" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Methodical Appraisal" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Utmost Caution" <me><wait.3>
Eventually you'll start getting your leftside filled out and you'll be able to do fancier rotations. Here's what I use for level 56 collections that gives 3 gathering attempts.
code:
/ac "Single Mind" <me><wait.3>
I'm at 550 gathering and 527 perception when doing this. You could probably drop the gathering down significantly if you're in a pinch and it won't hurt you too much (the success rate is like 98% at 550) but the perception is pretty much a hard requirement since the total collectability will be almost exactly 450.

I'm using the full trailblazer's set and partially melded HQ i55s for those stats. I also buy Trapper's Quiche from the Ishgard green grocer (there's probably better options if you need perception but it's cheap).

staplegun fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 4, 2015

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Bismarck Extreme is when you start taking long hard looks at your friends who are still wearing Dreadwyrm gear

Also you know what? Kind of a bad fight. If they wanna gate poo poo behind a DPS wall great but I swear to god several of the AOEs in that fight hover slightly off the ground making it hard to judge if you've dodged from certain camera angles

I wouldn't mind DPS checks nearly as much if the DPS classes were actually even close in output. I am not talking about WoW style balance issues where Mages being 5% off the top end is an international loving emergency. More like when have tanks literally able to out-DPS classes like MCH. It just seems pretty drat stupid expecting a bunch of random people to be able to be thrown together and somehow beat an arbitrary number when the DPS class output is all over the place in comparison with each other (or in the case of MCH, compared to itself from fight to fight thanks to it's random as all hell proc mechanics on their basic rotation. Even when the results do range from "Meh" to "Why the gently caress are you even trying?" ).

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

I've just started to level my BOT after not having touched it since 2.0. I'm at 53 now but I haven't got a clue what all this collectible stuff is about. Can I not worry about it until 60 or should I figure it out so it can help me level?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is the level 45 or 50 dragoon armor set you get from the story any good, or is it quickly obsolete from dungeon drops?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Are there any guilds that are active say, around 7pm - 7am EST? Thinking about maybe picking this game up again, but probably not worth it if I can't find people to play with when I'm awake.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
kinda mindboggling how people are saying bismark ex is a hard dps check when most of the people i know did it in a collection of vault/library gear

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
MCH has the same problem pre 2.x DRG's had: they're burst DPS when everyone wants sustained. Except they're worse than DRG's since their basic combo is RNG reliant. I wish Reload had a faster recast/cooldown than it currently does.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It'll be interesting to see how they tweak it, they'll probably have to slightly buff/nerf certain things because just increasing procs or cooldowns is a flat DPS increase, and I expect most of our DPS post-fix is going to come from whatever the hell they do to Gauss Barrel.

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Nah, you can transfer at any time even when new character creation is restricted. My pal xferred from gilg to excalibur at 2pm on a Saturday when there was a 50 person queue just to log on, and the char creation was most definitely locked.

edit - just make sure your character is 3 days old and you're golden

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

MCH has the same problem pre 2.x DRG's had: they're burst DPS when everyone wants sustained. Except they're worse than DRG's since their basic combo is RNG reliant. I wish Reload had a faster recast/cooldown than it currently does.
I don't think that's the problem since to a great extent both Bismarck and Ravana EX emphasize burst damage, and any group setup is good enough for the 4-man dungeons. The big problem with MCH is that the skill cap for playing it well is actually really high, you just don't get much pay off for playing to that extent because your damage will still pale in comparison to most other DPS classes when they do an average job, and utility wise they're weaker than BRD is.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
People keep saying that, and I'm not familiar with Bard utility. What do each bring to the table?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Pews posted:

I've just started to level my BOT after not having touched it since 2.0. I'm at 53 now but I haven't got a clue what all this collectible stuff is about. Can I not worry about it until 60 or should I figure it out so it can help me level?

Lower level gathering collectible turnins (that don't give scrip, only xp) are almost a viable alternative to leves early on. Old world figs, for example, are level 52 and easy enough to meet the minimum requirements to gather 2 or more at a time (assuming you have 600gp) at a high collection. The problem is that the turnin rewards don't scale with level, so when you start to need to do higher level turnins to get the same percent xp to the next level you won't be able to gather as much because the perception requirements will outscale your gear.

I think collection for gatherers becomes a lot easier to understand once you get what you can and can't collect and then the terminology they use in the collection minigame. When you collect any item, it's specially flagged as a collectable and becomes uncraftable, unsellable, and unstackable. You can check collectables that Rowena's House of Splendors wants by checking your Timers window (all hers are from unspoiled nodes) and also most everything from Ephemeral nodes (only way to use with aetherial reduction right now).

You start collection by fully uncovering an item in a node, enabling the level 50 "collector's glove" ability, then clicking the item to enter the collection window. You then see a window with two new numbers: Wear 0/30, and a rarity progress bar that's 0/1000. Your objective is to get the most amount of rarity (collectability) that you can without exceeding maximum wear or exhausting all of your remaining gathering attempts. If you increase wear past the maximum, your gathering success odds is instantly locked to 10% and you can't use any more appraisal abilities. Rarity can be increased by using one of the three appraisal abilities:
Impulsive Appraisal - increases rarity by Perception x.09, increases wear by 10, 30% chance to activate discerning eye, uses one gathering attempt
Instinctual Appraisal - increases rarity by Perception x.08 to 1.5, increases wear by 15, uses one gathering attempt
Methodical Appraisal - increases rarity by Perception x1, increases wear by 10, uses one gathering attempt
(Don't be fooled by the illusion of choice here, methodical appraisal is the only good option here since it doesn't involve rng)

The other abilities don't directly affect wear/gathering attempts remaining/rarity gain, but instead affect whatever appraisal you do after activating them. For the most part, the only abilities you should consider using are single mind (next appraisal does not use a gathering attempt), discerning eye (50% rarity gain on next appraisal), and utmost caution (50% reduction of wear on next appraisal). The other two are kind of garbage.

So, for Rowena's turnins you try and hit at least the minimum rarity value (called collectability) she wants for the item, then click the collect button to attempt to gather the item (uses your original gathering success odds). You aren't limited to collecting once, you can click collect for as many gathering attempts you have remaining. You can then exchange it to the person in mor dhona for things.

Anyway, you should use leves for leveling if you're not saving them for crafters or something.

staplegun fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 4, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

People keep saying that, and I'm not familiar with Bard utility. What do each bring to the table?

Both share:
TP+mana Regen (which can be boosted)
Silence
Bind

Bard has:
Boss Evasion down
+10 (20% if boosted) magical damage
Repelling shot (surprisingly useful on Ravana)

Machinist has:
+5% Physical or +5% magical damage (takes the boosting ability so cant boost TP or mana at the same time)
-5% physical or magical damage dealt by boss for 10 seconds every 90
Knockback and Stun

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh I wasn't even aware that is a thing. I made the character about 3 days? ago now I think, how long would you have to wait?

it's exactly 72 hours after character creation that you're allowed to server transfer them

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Bard has:
Boss Evasion down
This one is actually surprisingly valuable at the moment in a world of boss encounters that have significant lengths of time where you're just hitting the boss with no healing requirements and the healing gear having no accuracy. It can contribute to a significant chunk of extra damage.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Smart Car posted:

This one is actually surprisingly valuable at the moment in a world of boss encounters that have significant lengths of time where you're just hitting the boss with no healing requirements and the healing gear having no accuracy. It can contribute to a significant chunk of extra damage.

Yep, I intend to use it alot considering no accuracy on healer gear

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Impulsive Appraisal is currently much better than it sounds. If Impulsive Appraisal procs, it procs Discerning Eye on the hit that procs it as well as the next hit. So it essentially gives you two uses of Discerning Eye if it ever activates.

The way I started collected scrip turn-ins at 57 was:

Deep Breath
Single Mind
Impulsive Appraisal x4

If the third Impulsive Appraisal procs Discerning Eye, then you might as well use Methodical Appraisal. If you get multiple Discerning Eye procs, you might even be able to skip the last Appraisal for another gather.

This method only requires 500 GP and will pretty reliably get you to 450 collectability for the base level turn-in to start building up more Perception for the higher scrip turnins. This brought me from 57-60 pretty quickly and got me all the scrip gear too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm having a problem resubbing. I've switched phones since I last played FFXIV so I need to password from my account management page to get a one time password from my software token, but I need my one time password to enter my account management page. Has anyone else had this problem and found a way past this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
So I'm finally about to wrap up 2.55 and head into Ishgard, and I gotta say, everything involving Raubahn in the end cutscenes is just so satisfying. The bit with Adeledji getting fuckin destroyed totally caught me off guard and it was wonderful!

• Locked thread