Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despera
Jun 6, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Skynet is no longer trying to nuke the world. That plan failed, so its new goal is to turn all humans into nanomachine-men.

Connor himself doesn't have that ability.

Yeah that wasn't in the movie, you know the thing we are talking about.

Not to mention arnold said the nanobot thing drove everyone insane except john

And the lovely exposition on genisis pointed out that it was connected to the nukes. They had a nice little missile picture while news team 6 kept repeating genisis genisis genisis.

Despera fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ruby idiot railed posted:

Neat.

Speaking of Miles and Danny Dyson, they're presumably both still alive, and the secret core of Skynet's currently exposed. That's the hook into the next movie--they're going to find it and go "what the gently caress was John Connor doing?"

Was Miles supposed to be the older black guy who was usually with Danny?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I thought this would be the 9/11 scene.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Was Miles supposed to be the older black guy who was usually with Danny?

As far as I know that character is Miles Dyson.

blablablabla posted:

Because technology is static in the Terminator universe.

blablablabla posted:

And the lovely exposition on genisis pointed out that it was connected to the nukes. They had a nice little missile picture while news team 6 kept repeating genisis genisis genisis.

One single line as a red herring, versus the number of times they talk about converting people into nanobot terminators, including Connor's offer to his parents.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 4, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

blablablabla posted:

This is a movie where the filmmakers respect the audience, so it is shown - not told.

As opposed to previous villains, John Connor 'talks too much', acts friendly, and so-on. He holds his hand out to the protagonists.

While it's certainly possible that Skynet will wage war against people, the imagery is plainly of a select few collaborators being upgraded and protected - as in the original plot of Terminator Salvation. Skynet is programmed to save humanity.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

computer parts posted:

I never did like that scene - it was fine technically, but it always felt like audience pandering to me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

While it's certainly possible that Skynet will wage war against people, the imagery is plainly of a select few collaborators being upgraded and protected - as in the original plot of Terminator Salvation. Skynet is programmed to save humanity.

Just so. I think the main conflict in the next 2 movies in the planned trilogy is that of Skynet vs. Skynet. And the difference between them will be how much of humanity Skynet chooses to save.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

This is a movie where the filmmakers respect the audience, so it is shown - not told.

As opposed to previous villains, John Connor 'talks too much', acts friendly, and so-on. He holds his hand out to the protagonists.

He also acts far more human than any other Terminator - he shouts, screams, yells when fighting and seems to cry when he's trapped on the MRI and Reece finally rejects his offer.

As he says, he's 'more'. Not just man, not just machine and not just a villain. He isn't even hunting Connor and Reece - they come to his HQ and force his hand, basically.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

He also acts far more human than any other Terminator - he shouts, screams, yells when fighting and seems to cry when he's trapped on the MRI and Reece finally rejects his offer.

As he says, he's 'more'. Not just man, not just machine and not just a villain. He isn't even hunting Connor and Reece - they come to his HQ and force his hand, basically.

I think his plan was always to bring Sarah and Kyle to Cyberdyne, but on the terms of the "invitation". Jason Clarke also said that he looked at the role as that of a Gandalf the White.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The new terminator almost had the feel of a superhero\supervillian movie IMO, like it could fit in the world of of Marvel or something. Same with the whole post credits scene.
I wonder if it's related to the fact it was directed by Alan Taylor, who did one of the recent Thor movies.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw Genisys, one of the most dull movies I've seen in years, really bland. I thought ol' T800 and Kaleesi did the best they could with the material, and JK Simmons is a highlight, but the movie did not click with me at all. Makes Die Hard 4.0 look like The Godfather. Never saw Die Hard 5 but that does have the boring guy who played Reese in this, good lord what a dull choice. Not that the writing helped him. Yikes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Take out the helicopter chase and the bus chase to let your characters develop. I think that would of helped. A decent movie with some frayed edges is the best way to put it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll put down like $100 on Arnold being the bad guy in Terminator 6.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

A Arnold maybe.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ruby idiot railed posted:

Gonna have to agree to disagree.
Yeah that's not the best scene...

computer parts posted:

Bingo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

WarLocke posted:

I never did like that scene - it was fine technically, but it always felt like audience pandering to me.
If you can't see a hand puppet recreation of the planes hitting the towers as one of the highlights of modern television I don't know what to say...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Rhyno posted:

A Arnold maybe.
So another Arnold model sent back in time... to become governor perhaps?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

So another Arnold model sent back in time... to become governor perhaps?

Until he got laid off....

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

If you can't see a hand puppet recreation of the planes hitting the towers as one of the highlights of modern television I don't know what to say...

Please tell me you're not serious.

I have to ask, because the whole September 11th thing seems to have broken a lot of peoples' brains.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Please tell me you're not serious.

I have to ask, because the whole September 11th thing seems to have broken a lot of peoples' brains.

Is he serious in did it actually happen?

Yes. Yes it did happen.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is he serious in did it actually happen?

Yes. Yes it did happen.

No is he serious in that his brain is broken and he thinks depicting it in a TV show is the best part of that show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

No is he serious in that his brain is broken and he thinks depicting it in a TV show is the best part of that show.

He's clearly kidding but even at the time of airing we were all blown away by the brilliance of that sequence. Somebody has to have the gif somewhere.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rhyno posted:

He's clearly kidding but even at the time of airing we were all blown away by the brilliance of that sequence. Somebody has to have the gif somewhere.

It was hardly brilliant. Bombs have gone off and terrorist strikes happened before it, and they're happening now. 'September 11th' just happened to happen to us and that's not acceptable to a lot of people.

I just get tired of the fetishization of it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are you autistic? Cause it's not that complicated why we thought it was hilarious.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My friend forced us to see this movie. It was really bad. It's only purpose should be to be shown in film classes side by side with T2 to illustrate why a good director matters more than anything else. I really hope it does poor enough that they don't make anymore.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I posted about this way earlier in the thread but it's relevant to the conversation about the different interpretations of Kyle Reese in regards to Courtney and Biehn, and even the different versions of Sarah, John or any other recurring character. With Skynet and the Resistance fighting a war through time and creating and destroying numerous timelines in the process they would inevitably mess up conception in regards to time travel. Even changing the timeline just enough to put off conception only by a few minutes means a different sperm fertilizes the egg of whoever's parents are involved.

So in each film we're viewing entirely different people who may have the same parents and general histories, but they're not the same John Conner, Sarah Conner, or Kyle Reese. Genetically they're more like brothers or sisters, inheriting the fate of past siblings due to time travel fuckery. Viewing the movies from this angle alleviates a lot of plot holes in regards to motivations and personality. Kyle Reese in T1 and Kyle Reese in T:G act so differently (and look differently) because they're entirely different people. So in essence there's literally been at least three different Sarah Conner's, four Kyle Reese's, and at least five different John Conner's. And those are just the ones we know of. And different people will react to a situation in different ways. One John Conner grows up to be kind of a wuss and hides out in a bunker with his girlfriend on Judgement Day, one grows up to not actually live up to his destiny and just talks on the radio a lot, one grows up to be a evil son a bitch who helps further the fall of mankind, etc. etc. so on and so forth.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only thing I liked in this movie was the homage to one of the writers films, Drive Angry, when Arnold steps out of the moving car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZNLNkxgIg

42 seconds.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Megasabin posted:

My friend forced us to see this movie. It was really bad. It's only purpose should be to be shown in film classes side by side with T2 to illustrate why a good director matters more than anything else. I really hope it does poor enough that they don't make anymore.
Well I've got some bad news for you.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CelticPredator posted:

The only thing I liked in this movie was the homage to one of the writers films, Drive Angry, when Arnold steps out of the moving car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZNLNkxgIg

42 seconds.

Discount Christopher Walken is the best thing about that movie, and pretty much everything else he's in. That guy's a real bargain.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Megasabin posted:

The movie was basically Marvel: Terminator and it's easily better than the superhero movies we've had recently.

Skynet has ambiguity and nuance now as if it's learning from the time loops and making different choices. John Conner as the 'Terminator' was a neat pick because the relationship between him, Reese and Sarah Connor is makes it weird.

The movie is ridiculously campy at times too, which can be awful if you're expecting a super serious movie about robots hunting down humans.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 4, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is a movie where the filmmakers respect the audience

You are the loving worst.

Tezzeract posted:

Skynet has ambiguity and nuance now as if it's learning from the time loops and making different choices.

This isn't interesting.

Megasabin posted:

Umbasa.

Xenomrph posted:

Well I've got some bad news for you.

It's tanking, dude.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 4, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Esroc posted:

I posted about this way earlier in the thread but it's relevant to the conversation about the different interpretations of Kyle Reese in regards to Courtney and Biehn, and even the different versions of Sarah, John or any other recurring character. With Skynet and the Resistance fighting a war through time and creating and destroying numerous timelines in the process they would inevitably mess up conception in regards to time travel. Even changing the timeline just enough to put off conception only by a few minutes means a different sperm fertilizes the egg of whoever's parents are involved.

So in each film we're viewing entirely different people who may have the same parents and general histories, but they're not the same John Conner, Sarah Conner, or Kyle Reese. Genetically they're more like brothers or sisters, inheriting the fate of past siblings due to time travel fuckery. Viewing the movies from this angle alleviates a lot of plot holes in regards to motivations and personality. Kyle Reese in T1 and Kyle Reese in T:G act so differently (and look differently) because they're entirely different people. So in essence there's literally been at least three different Sarah Conner's, four Kyle Reese's, and at least five different John Conner's. And those are just the ones we know of. And different people will react to a situation in different ways. One John Conner grows up to be kind of a wuss and hides out in a bunker with his girlfriend on Judgement Day, one grows up to not actually live up to his destiny and just talks on the radio a lot, one grows up to be a evil son a bitch who helps further the fall of mankind, etc. etc. so on and so forth.

I don't see how there have been different Sarah Conners, since no Terminators have been sent to gently caress with her parents, or even to a time before her birth (unless it happens on the show).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sarah and John Connor (just a fetus in one movie) are the same in both T1 and T2. Oddly enough the good films.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was not good but it was so bad it's entertaining.

Edit: I did like some of it, they made some good decisions like John. I wish the trailers hadn't spoiled things. But crap man, couldn't you have begged for influence by James Cameron to make this a good movie? Consulted? Dump a truck of money? Such wasted potential.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 4, 2015

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also my cousin from overseas had some nice perspective on this.

"Well the first Terminator was steel, second was liquid metal and now apparently it's powder Terminator."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Groovelord Neato posted:

You are the loving worst.

This isn't interesting.

Umbasa.

It's tanking, dude.

*touches Neato's face with a shredded finger*

I now know why you cry. But it's something I can never do.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sarah and John Connor (just a fetus in one movie) are the same in both T1 and T2. Oddly enough the good films.

Reminder, a scene exists in which the T-800 chases an on-foot Sarah Connor down a ramp and a block while driving a tanker truck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Does every bad sequel thread have to devolve into people trying to poo poo on the good movies. The stop motion endoskeleton looks bad!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

Does every bad sequel thread have to devolve into people trying to poo poo on the good movies. The stop motion endoskeleton looks bad!

It looks awful, and the compositing is a poo poo job. It doesn't look good again until they just use a physical prop for it again, when it's crawling across the factory floor.

Anybody who complains about bad CGI instantly loses all credibility if they hold up this era of filmmaking.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No I agree it's just that it's missing the forest for the trees.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's tanking, dude.
Yes, and 2 sequels have already been greenlit regardless of how badly this one does, because in 2019 the rights revert back to James Cameron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

Also my cousin from overseas had some nice perspective on this.

"Well the first Terminator was steel, second was liquid metal and now apparently it's powder Terminator."

So following the solid-liquid-gas properties, the next Terminator will be a cloud of electrified particles.

• Locked thread