Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm still banking on Vriska absorbing the Green Sun. That one panel speaks volumes and would totally fit with her personality and title. People thought UU was never going to be a thing and wrote off the music as never having any plot hints and look how that turned out :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

paranoid randroid posted:

i disagree with just about everything.

first off its plain that she knows that she had literally no say in the fact that she didnt get stabbed to death. if she doesnt know this, why is she resistant to the idea of saying that eridan doesnt deserve to be sprited over nepeta or feferi? she knows that she did nothing to earn a second chance, and if eridan doesnt deserve a second chance as well it says very uncomfortable things about her. the fact that she bullshits up a huge thing about how she "made different choices" or whatever while terrorizing her dead-self only reinforces this. because that entire conversation was her externalizing her own fears and problems.
From the text:

quote:

VRISKA: There it is again, making it all a8out you, even when trying to 8e heroic. You let that need 8lind you and you did something really stupid, 8asically leaving NO OTHER OPTION 8ut for you to get killed.
The same option existed in (Vriska)'s timeline, only Terezi didn't think of incapacitating Vriska instead of straight up killing her. Vriska owns absolutely no responsibility for her own recklessness then, and owns none for her recklessness in doing the exact same god drat thing (going off to fight the big bad with no support) now.

edit: Also, the more I think about it, the more I think Vriska was working to keep the kernelsprites unprototyped strictly so that they could be used for her own resurrection. The whole "moral dilemma" about resurrecting Eridan, Nepeta, or Feferi is just a smokescreen to that, further evidenced by how she had no qualms whatsoever about bringing Equius back for no rationale other than "he's funny".

quote:

secondly she was like, at most, one part of a huge clusterfuck that led to the creation of bec noir. she put john to sleep, sure, but bec tossed all the other options for prototyping into space and prototyped himself. karkat and kanaya made the universe unviable in the first place. gamzee created the little clown doll that kicked off everything. her talking about being the one to create the big bad evil guy was just her vriskaing at maximum velocity - talking herself up to make herself seem important and nefarious, like she does.
She did a lot more than that; she's the one who directed DD to Rose's MEOW journal, which allowed for the retroactive creation of Bec in the first place, as seen in EOA4. From here you can see her bragging to Tavros about how she worked to ensure Jack Noir would become Bec Noir, indicating that while she may have been but one part of the clusterfuck (she was at least two), the clusterfuck itself was of her own design.

quote:

thirdly, (vriska) hasnt done poo poo to pay her karmic debt, which i can only assume is part of the reason vriska despises her. shes jumped straight to the part of the deal where she gets to be happy without "wiping out all the bad things [shes] done". thats not how it works for vriska. she repays the bad things shes done, or pays for them, so she doesnt have to feel bad about them or think too hard about how she caused them in the first place.
Well, if you insist, but that just means that Vriska's DEFINITELY going to be Hubris'd the gently caress out.

quote:

fourthly, no shut up everythings going to be fine. shut up. lalalala i cant hear you.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 4, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

She WANTED to created Bec Noir, or I guess to retroactively be the one responsible for his creation so she could massage her ego even further upon destroying him.
Intention has to count for something.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

From the text:

The same option existed in (Vriska)'s timeline, only Terezi didn't think of incapacitating Vriska instead of straight up killing her. Vriska owns absolutely no responsibility for her own recklessness then, and owns none for her recklessness in doing the exact same god drat thing (going off to fight the big bad with no support) now.
if youre drawing conclusions based on that conversation you also need to bear in mind that shes screaming "no im not like you, youre FAT and STUPID and USELESS and WEAK WEAK WEAK, unlike ME who is COOL and GOOD because IM NOT YOU even thought i WANT TO BE" because shes a loving crazy person who cant look herself in the eye.

quote:

She did a lot more than that; she's the one who directed DD to Rose's MEOW journal, which allowed for the retroactive creation of Bec in the first place, as seen in EOA4. From here you can see her bragging to Tavros about how she worked to ensure Jack Noir would become Bec Noir, indicating that while she may have been but one part of the clusterfuck (she was at least two), the clusterfuck itself was of her own design.
admittedly id forgotten the part where she created bec in the first place. point goes to you.

quote:

Well, if you insist, but that just means that Vriska's DEFINITELY going to be Hubris'd the gently caress out.
dude thats straight up how she operates. she freaks the gently caress out when ghost aradia refuses to hate her. when aradia does beat her into paste, her reaction is like "lol good poo poo megido". when tavros tries to acknowledge that he was stupid for charging down a literal no-kidding god with a lance, she cuts him off because its all about her and how shes apologizing for being a bitch and he should shut up so she can take all the responsibility (all of it) and stop feeling bad about killing him right? right? right? if anything it points to her surviving and having to live with herself because death represents an easy out for her.

quote:

literally me, at all times, while reading the webcomic ms paint adventures dot com

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

if youre drawing conclusions based on that conversation you also need to bear in mind that shes screaming "no im not like you, youre FAT and STUPID and USELESS and WEAK WEAK WEAK, unlike ME who is COOL and GOOD because IM NOT YOU even thought i WANT TO BE" because shes a loving crazy person who cant look herself in the eye.
That is sort of what I'm saying, yes. She won't acknowledge her own inadequacies, not while there's a perfectly good Failed False (Vriska) on whom to project literally all of them, anything to keep her from owning responsibility.

quote:

dude thats straight up how she operates. she freaks the gently caress out when ghost aradia refuses to hate her. when aradia does beat her into paste, her reaction is like "lol good poo poo megido". when tavros tries to acknowledge that he was stupid for charging down a literal no-kidding god with a lance, she cuts him off because its all about her and how shes apologizing for being a bitch and he should shut up so she can take all the responsibility (all of it) and stop feeling bad about killing him right? right? right? if anything it points to her surviving and having to live with herself because death represents an easy out for her.
You're missing the point; I'm basically saying that because she done hosed up, she gon' die.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

That is sort of what I'm saying, yes. She won't acknowledge her own inadequacies, not while there's a perfectly good Failed False (Vriska) on whom to project literally all of them, anything to keep her from owning responsibility.
and im saying she knows all that poo poo, but cant admit it because shes leaning as hard on her affected persona of the Hardass Antihero Who Gets poo poo Done Chief God Dammit as (vriska) is leaning on her persona as Someone Who Basically Doesnt Care Lol Whatever Im So Over Everything (god please dont leave me alone out here it echoes with the screams of the children i murdered).

quote:

You're missing the point; I'm basically saying that because she done hosed up, she gon' die.
well really she hasnt even hosed up yet. we are just assuming she will, even though when you consider it for a second shes kind of logically prohibited from loving up because she cant mindcontrol an entire army of ghosts, because she lacks araneas power level. and even if she did gently caress up, its not like death would mean she faces any kind of comeuppance. last time she died, she greeted it like "oh huh, that happened i guess."

honestly if i had to guess, id say that (vriska) will remember that shes a serket, and that bloody-minded revenge is as natural to her as breathing, not that she breathes anymore, and come after alive-vriska to kick her rear end up and down the block.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
basically vriska is the most hosed up character in the entire comic and thats saying something when the other characters include people like dirk and gamzee and rose.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

basically vriska is the most hosed up character in the entire comic and thats saying something when the other characters include people like dirk and gamzee and rose.

Vriska makes Dirk look like a well adjusted young man who just lacks foresight.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'd just like to throw something into the ring. Without (Vriska), John would not have his retcon powers. She was the only one who was actively interested in doing something relevant after death, at least at first. That's got to count for something if we're talking about karma. Of course, she could have gone about it in a less ghost killy way, but that's a conversation that's already been had in-comic and out.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 4, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plom Bar posted:

The purest example of this conception of death would be Aradia, who, every time she was faced with a doomed timeline, simply reloaded back to a point where the outcome could be avoided, and does what it takes to avoid it. Each time Aradia warps back in time, she brings with her knowledge that she couldn't have possessed otherwise, but is still necessary to "win" the "game". Dave's approach to death is less disaffected, as he makes it a goal of his to avoid "Dead Daves" as much as possible, with a few notable exceptions. He's like a player who, after screwing up once, goes out and buys a strategy guide to make sure he avoids mistakes from then on. As he says, "Dead Daves are the enemy". This aversion to his own demise translates to Davesprite as well, whom he is quick to dissociate from when it's convenient for him to do so.
Dave also warps back in time to avoid bad futures, just as Aradia does. When he says that "dead enemy" he means both, at the time, that any dead Dave signposts a bad decision, but also, in retrospect, that he's afraid of his own death and of blood. Aradia, by contrast, is a psychopomp and has spent a healthy chunk of her time in the story dead. Even given these different attitudes, they both do exactly the same thing over and over again. Aradia and Dave rewind until they get it right, because they're Time players.

As to throwing Davesprite under the bus in that panel ... Dave's major goal for that panel is to avoid being forced into a role (swordfighting last-resort hero) that he loathes and has explicitly given up. Dave's minor goal is that he's jealous (apparently) of Davesprite's relationship with Jade -- he thinks Davesprite cut him down to Jade. When Dave thinks he can use it to find out what happened, he claims to be the same person; when he learns that Davesprite broke up with Jade, Dave claims to be a different person. That isn't about disliking his other self -- it's about saying whatever he can to reestablish his own relationship (" i knew he was poisoning your view of me all those years and i wasnt there to say anything or defend against his slander so now of course you think im a neurotic douche ") Dave admits, later on, that he says whatever comes into his head at all times, and what's coming into his head right then is that Davesprite is somehow standing between current-Dave and Jade. The motive is "Davesprite got something I value" rather than "Davesprite is evil". (Note: whatever Dave wanted right before GAME OVER is probably not what he wants in the current story line.)

So, basically, Dave didn't buy the strategy guide; he got upset, put the game back into the box, then got nagged by his parents to finish it. (Block that metaphor.)

e: I think Bro just officially won the crown of most hosed-up person.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why is Dirk (not Bro) so hosed up? People have talked about him being super hosed up, but it's been a while, and the wiki doesn't really describe why he's messed up.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

He basically lived alone in a 1 room apartment in the middle of the goddam ocean.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Magres posted:

Why is Dirk (not Bro) so hosed up? People have talked about him being super hosed up, but it's been a while, and the wiki doesn't really describe why he's messed up.

Mostly it's his (and AR's) schemes to make Jake love him partly out of Stockholm syndrome.

What with the super robot in his image that has two settings- beat the poo poo OUT OF YOU or grope you and uncomfortably touch you all over.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dave also warps back in time to avoid bad futures, just as Aradia does. When he says that "dead enemy" he means both, at the time, that any dead Dave signposts a bad decision, but also, in retrospect, that he's afraid of his own death and of blood. Aradia, by contrast, is a psychopomp and has spent a healthy chunk of her time in the story dead. Even given these different attitudes, they both do exactly the same thing over and over again. Aradia and Dave rewind until they get it right, because they're Time players.

The difference between them is a bit subtle, but Dave is only shown to correct past mistakes three times, and each of the three times it affects him pretty deeply; first, when he comes to become Davesprite, stop John from killing himself, and gives Dave the ability to time travel. Davesprite makes a point of saying that he's not going to be opaque or cagey about giving guidance to Dave, which at the time is played off as part of Dave's not-giving-a-gently caress shtick, but in retrospect is much more likely due to a strong, strong aversion to watching himself die. The second time is to avoid getting killed by DD, which leads to this moment that has already been talked about with regards to what we now know about Dave and his attitude towards blood. The third time is when Terezi shows him how he fails to reach the God Tier. This led to the revelation that Dave refuses to die by his own hand, and more to the point, he only got here through Terezi's tutelage, whom he quickly and angrily tells to leave him alone from that point on.

On all other occasions that we're shown, Dave time travels more for the purpose of having more versions of him actively doing things at once. His time travel is to ensure that was has already happened continues to happen, as opposed to stopping something that created a doomed offshoot timeline.

Ugh. I don't know if I'm explaining that correctly, because it's kind of hard for even me to wrap my head around.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

No, you're right. Aradiabot had no regard for her own mortality and there were literal hundreds of doomed timelines in the A2 session because at the first sign of trouble, Aradia would go back in time, tell alpha timeline Aradia how to fix it, and quickly resign herself to being doomed. This doomed-ness would manifest when the legion of doomed Aradiabots that had accumulated helped to battle the Black King and absorbed the brunt of his Vast Glub powers! Also Bec Noir killed a bunch of them. It was pretty grim.

She took a nihilistic, functional and artless approach to being the Time player: her solution was always to just throw more bodies at the problem, and drat the consequences. Dave on the other hand is incredibly careful only to travel in time loops after the DD incident, excepting the time when Terezi tricks him into creating a doomed offshoot with her Quest Bed stunt. He sees a future version of himself doing something in the present, and then makes sure he travels back and does it at the appointed time, becoming the Dave he saw in the first place. No Beta Daves, no doomed timeline offshoots, no problem.

It's a more artful, conservative approach to the Time player's duties, one that definitely trades raw power for the comfort of knowing you're not creating a doomed timeline populated by soon-to-be-dead copies of yourself and your friends every time you decide to fire up the timetables.

That's also why there are like a zillion dead alternate timeline versions of the A2 trolls in the dream bubbles, but only a handful of humans. Aradiabot essentially leaked a bunch of time oil into the North Sea, while Dave exhibited chronoecological responsibility.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 4, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

edit: Also, the more I think about it, the more I think Vriska was working to keep the kernelsprites unprototyped strictly so that they could be used for her own resurrection. The whole "moral dilemma" about resurrecting Eridan, Nepeta, or Feferi is just a smokescreen to that, further evidenced by how she had no qualms whatsoever about bringing Equius back for no rationale other than "he's funny".

i missed this part earlier, but it would be a pretty impressive feat on her part to use the kernals to resurrect herself given she planned on leaving for the dream bubbles immediately and not returning for a really long time. like she didnt expect to be back until well after the rest of the players had won the game and resituated earth and all that. and shes pretty upfront about why she brought back the people that she did - one part personal debts to them and one part strategic concerns. tavros gets sprited because she owes him one and probably because she intended him to do some communion thing but forgot because strider angst is such a freaking wet blanket. equius gets sprited because he helped her out once, and also it just so happens hes a good guy to have around in conjunction with hyperintelligent AIs for the purpose of hacking mind-control tiaras.

so yeah its not like shes being selfless here, shes still doing that thing where her fuckups are the most important fuckups and she needs to be seen making up for them because everyone come look how good and noble shes being. but it does also look like shes being pretty honest, if also kind of defensive and wheedling towards her moirail.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 4, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The terrible thing about Homestuck being 5-days-a-week is that on Saturday I'm looking forward to Sunday because update. Soon (I believe in one Hussie, the creator) the whole thing will be over and 4PM Pacific will no longer be special.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Android Blues posted:

That's also why there are like a zillion dead alternate timeline versions of the A2 trolls in the dream bubbles, but only a handful of humans. Aradiabot essentially leaked a bunch of time oil into the North Sea, while Dave exhibited chronoecological responsibility.

I feel like this would make a neat concept for a game. Timeline health as a resource that you have to manage as you do stuff would be cool.

It'd probably need to be a roguelike, cause you need a game format where savescumming isn't a thing people expect to be able to do, and where choosing between dying and potentially loving up your next swing at the game because your timeline is so beaten up is an actual choice.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 4, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

From the text:

Except she also said early on:

VRISKA: I never got a chance to thank you for knocking me out a few years ago. I mean... o8viously? 8ecause I was unconscious.
VRISKA: 8ut thanks for that. I was 8eing an idiot, and deserved it.
VRISKA: And as a 8onus, it apparently saved my life???????? So, thanks.

This is why I have to think that Vriska has more self-awareness than repeating her Kill Jack plan again. She knows it was a bad plan, as she shrieks at (Vriska). There's gotta be more to it.

Burkion posted:

Mostly it's his (and AR's) schemes to make Jake love him partly out of Stockholm syndrome.

What with the super robot in his image that has two settings- beat the poo poo OUT OF YOU or grope you and uncomfortably touch you all over.

He also almost murdered AR out of pure self-loathing. Which is arguably more extreme than even Vriska, just less vicious and cruel.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Magres posted:

I'm gonna go with "Brain problems" here :shrug:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nephthys posted:

He also almost murdered AR out of pure self-loathing. Which is arguably more extreme than even Vriska, just less vicious and cruel.

You can't really murder an AI. it's just a robot, they don't have feelings.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

You can't really murder an AI. it's just a robot, they don't have feelings.

Optimus Prime has feelings. Wall-E has feelings. JOHNNY-5 HAS FEELINGS. JOHNNY 5 IS ALIVE MOTHERFUCKER.

You monster.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Well there's also that whole Prince of Heart thing that meant AR had a soul.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If AR did have feelings, they were diminished compared to Dirk's. That was one of the reasons he wanted to go into the sprite so badly, and it caused him a bit of distress upon seeing Fefetasprite, who his union with Equius had imbued him with guilt over. If he was to be believed, he had never felt it before.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He did have some sort of robo feelings, but he wasn't used to STRONG feelings.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Nephthys posted:

Except she also said early on:

VRISKA: I never got a chance to thank you for knocking me out a few years ago. I mean... o8viously? 8ecause I was unconscious.
VRISKA: 8ut thanks for that. I was 8eing an idiot, and deserved it.
VRISKA: And as a 8onus, it apparently saved my life???????? So, thanks.

Except she didn't learn her lesson. Basic introspection should indicate that charging onward alone was the wrong choice, and could be again. When confronted with a version of herself that made the mistake and learned (poorly) from it she flips the gently caress out.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I agree with Aradia's approach to being the time player.

Death Bot posted:

Except she didn't learn her lesson. Basic introspection should indicate that charging onward alone was the wrong choice, and could be again. When confronted with a version of herself that made the mistake and learned (poorly) from it she flips the gently caress out.

There's a good chance that she will succeed this time too, given hussies gross love for Vriska.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure killing AR would have been a prelude to suicide if Dirk had gone through with it.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So, the reason for the gigapause might have just been revealed. And for the development of Hiveswap moving in-studio.

TL;DR version, The Odd Gentlemen may have basically taken the money given to them to work on Hiveswap, then did nothing on Hiveswap and spent it all on King's Quest and Gaiman's Wayward Manor game. Hussie signed a settlement, so no legal recourse. Game doesn't look like it'll come out of this too bad, nevertheless, but... man.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wow, gently caress these people with a rusty fork. I was excited about King's Quest making a comeback, but now I am not giving one cent of mine to these bloody assholes.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

KaosMachina posted:

So, the reason for the gigapause might have just been revealed. And for the development of Hiveswap moving in-studio.

TL;DR version, The Odd Gentlemen may have basically taken the money given to them to work on Hiveswap, then did nothing on Hiveswap and spent it all on King's Quest and Gaiman's Wayward Manor game. Hussie signed a settlement, so no legal recourse. Game doesn't look like it'll come out of this too bad, nevertheless, but... man.

That's amazing. Like, not in a good way at all, but still amazing. Astounding, even.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wow, that is so crazy that I almost can't believe it, but so funny that I choose to anyway. What a bunch of dickworms.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

She flips out because that's Serket-style introspection. Go hard or go home. I don't see how she couldn't have learned the lesson. She says it was a terrible idea, she heavily criticizes herself for trying it and says she was being an idiot. She clearly and repeatedly indicates that she knows that's the wrong choice.

KaosMachina posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress these people forever. I feel like this justifies nothing less than a fullblown Karkat rant but I'm just too incredulous that they're actually getting away with it. Shouldn't this be really loving illegal? Shouldn't these guys be getting sued? Why does What Pumpkin have to make a settlement to get the money back?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KaosMachina posted:

Holy poo poo that's a pile of steaming gently caress

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Probably either KS or TOD bamboozled them into a settlement, or WP accepted one thinking that was the only way they'd get any money without a costly legal battle.

Video games is a scum industry from top to bottom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

Whose tumblr is this, exactly?

I'm not doubting the content, but I looked at the rest of their posts to find out for myself and I saw things

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KaosMachina posted:

What the gently caress

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Whose tumblr is this, exactly?

I'm not doubting the content, but I looked at the rest of their posts to find out for myself and I saw things

Yeah, uh. On second though, this person doesn't seem particularly reputable. At all?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, uh. On second though, this person doesn't seem particularly reputable. At all?

if only there was a person, who's job it was to investigate stories like these and report to the public at large on their verifiability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The fact that this person draws porn does not make them more or less trustworthy. I assume KaosMachina would not have showed this to us if it wasn't a reputable source.