Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Prism posted:

Calcruthl is a really weird monster name. Where'd it come from? I would have guessed Lou Carcolh except it got another t in the second half and then switched some letters around.

The FF Wiki has monster etymologies too! :eng101:

quote:

The name may be a mistranslation of Carcohl. Carcolh is a creature from French folklore said to be half serpent and half mollusk.
Okay, that's underwhelming, but they can't all be winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Well, I've been meaning to knock FFV off my list of main FF games I need to complete (along with II and III) so why not do a Random run to make it happen?

*gets assigned Monk for first class*

...that's why not I suppose. Oh well. Pummel away!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Six in-game hours. Thank you turbo mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto

Thank you also to Neongrey for helping me figure out how much longer I had to go.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Maleketh posted:

Yeah, people like to mention Moldwynds for Elixir farming, but half the enemies in the Ship graveyard (Calcruthls and Undead Husks) can drop them too.

If you have a chemist, outside of Karnak you can also farm for them from Zus while farming turtle shells. Elixers aren't that rare in this game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just beat the Earth Crystal, and got my final job, Dancer. So now I'm rocking Black Mage, Red Mage, Chemist and Dancer.

As a first timer, what should I know before moving on? They're talking about leaving the world so I assume this map is being left behind.

Thanks to chat + mix guide, I have 70 or so Turtle Shells left, 9 elemental rods each. Is there anything else I should look out for?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Artelier posted:

Thanks to chat + mix guide, I have 70 or so Turtle Shells left, 9 elemental rods each. Is there anything else I should look out for?

You may want a couple more Dark Matters for mixing Death Potions, which would mean fighting a few Prototypes. You wouldn't need more than 6 though (one for Gilgamesh on the boat, one for Dragon Grass, and one for each crystal) unless I'm forgetting some. They're not entirely necessary however, just nice to have.

While I'm here, I'd just like to post something for others, because I find myself coming back to it a few times. Since I generally go to Istory for a second Aegis Shield, or even just usually do Fork Tower for Wonder Wand/Defender, I end up with tablets for weapons I don't need since you really only need three or four legendary weapons at the most. But why let weapons you can get go to waste? So for the record, the following legendary weapons sell for decent cash.

Sasuke's Katana, Magus Rod, Sage's Staff, and Fire Lash all sell for 10,000 gil. The Assassin's Dagger technically does too, but pretty much every team in the game can make use of that unless you somehow get a party of all White Mages and/or Monks. The Gaia Bell also sells for 4500 gil, not as much as the others but still more than the ones I didn't mention, which only sell for 5 each.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Well, Quickleak did the trick. It's dirty, but a win's a win. Took about three hours of leaving my GBA on (and plugged in to the charger, of course).

I am also happy to say that I've managed to procure a Dragon Lance from one of the Jura Aevises in the Castle (God bless the Thief Knife), so that should provide some extra offense against Shinryu. I've never made it this far in this game, so I'm pretty excited.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bad Seafood posted:

Thank you also to Neongrey for helping me figure out how much longer I had to go.

Welcome to Esoteric Order of the Rugmage.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bad Seafood posted:

Wait, you don't have to split the party 2/2?

I just assumed you had to do that for some reason.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

13/f/cali posted:

Often it's just helpful in case someone drops on either side.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ugh, another monk as my first class in my second run. Pondering if I should even bother continuing.

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Been meaning to try FFV out since forever, figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and take part in this at the same time. Going in clueless, so I'm taking a normal run, with black mage as my first job.

Here's to everything burning :flame:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Monk/Berserker/??/?? as of Water Crystal.

As this is a random run, a question. Should I be even thinking of buying spells in case I roll a Mage/Summoner later?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ShadowedFlames posted:

Monk/Berserker/??/?? as of Water Crystal.

As this is a random run, a question. Should I be even thinking of buying spells in case I roll a Mage/Summoner later?

You can always go back for them, save for Esuna in the Karnak explosion. Just make sure to pick up Shiva and Ramuh before you go World 2 if you do roll Summoner.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

KataraniSword posted:

You can always go back for them, save for Esuna in the Karnak explosion. Just make sure to pick up Shiva and Ramuh before you go World 2 if you do roll Summoner.

Duly noted. Thanks!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
This is my first year doing this and I think I made out pretty well on the classes, which is nice since it'll be my first time playing this to completion:

Knight / Red Mage / Ranger / Dancer

Just past the earth crystal, and so far it's worked out pretty well.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

KataraniSword posted:

You can buy Esuna in Nix if you miss it in Karnak.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Finished my first Four Job Fiesta! I blogged through it, and won't be putting in that much work for next year (because gah-drat I have a new respect for quality LPs), but this was a lot of fun. When I do it next year I won't be doing it as a #Natural run because I didn't have to think too creatively throughout the run.

As far as my pledge goes:

Fun times. I'm too tired from doing it this year since I was blogging it at the same time, but next year I'm going to try and get multiple runs in.

Thanks to the organizers!

(hosting on all the images is my own)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

13/f/cali posted:

Nope.

Sent my Berserker in alone with Mirage Vest and a pair of Hermes Sandals. Seemed to do alright, long as I remembered to heal after every fight.

Fork Tower itself was a largely useless detour since I don't have any access to magic of any kind, but I needed Cid to fix me up so I could head underwater for the last few pieces of equipment I need. For my Berserker, weirdly enough.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I know berserkers can't run, but can samurai? I have a team of three berserkers and one samurai, and I can't run even if try to do it on my samurai's turn.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I know berserkers can't run, but can samurai? I have a team of three berserkers and one samurai, and I can't run even if try to do it on my samurai's turn.

Berserkers can run on the gba version. If you are getting "can't run" that means you have to fight that encounter. Usually it is saved for bosses or story battles.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Shwqa posted:

Berserkers can run on the gba version. If you are getting "can't run" that means you have to fight that encounter. Usually it is saved for bosses or story battles.
the random battles in the Phoenix Tower are the only ones you can't run from, iirc.

There are some battles that are incredibly hard to escape from. The Landcrawler and Shield Dragon each give you a 1 percent chance to escape.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mustard Iceman posted:

the random battles in the Phoenix Tower are the only ones you can't run from, iirc.

There are some battles that are incredibly hard to escape from. The Landcrawler and Shield Dragon each give you a 1 percent chance to escape.

Also the imp fights in the floor slider room in Meatfort and the randoms in the desert leading to the Moogle Forest. If you don't listen to the moogles about avoiding the desert, you better have Break Blade or Aqua Breath.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

And Triple Crown #3 with Time Mage/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon.

I tried playing around with !Call, honestly, not a huge fan. Unless you are doing a low level run or natural or something, MP has never been an issue in the end game. Gold Hairpin + Air Knife + Slydra is very efficient and I usually have enough elixirs to survive. I also don't mind spending a bit of time grinding out some cash/elixirs, so if you don't like the grind I can see the appeal. Early game really sucks if you don't have a offensive class, cause Time Mage/Summoner (with no extra summons) means I have Ifrit which is ok or Break Rods, which is my only real offence.

Dragoon gets a bad rap. Its not a bad class and its fun to avoid Mega Flare, Giga Flare, Earth Shaker or whatever other gimmick moves people have upon death. Its not a good as the melee gods like Ranger & Ninja, but its not terrible.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Time Mage/White Mage/Bard and rounding out the team is .... Dragoon

:negative:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Rei_ posted:

Time Mage/White Mage/Bard and rounding out the team is .... Dragoon

Its not that bad. Its nice having a class that can wear an Aegis Shield for some survivability and if you go into NED at a lower level, the Dragoon will be the only one with the HP to survive Almagest. You have a White Mage and Bard, just outlast everything instead of bursting it down.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Finished my first Four Job Fiesta! I blogged through it

Hey, figured you should know: when I opened that link, my Microsoft Security Essentials lost its loving poo poo. You should probably make sure Wordpress/your theme are up-to-date and that poo poo isn't injected with badness. :(

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Way too late to make any Fartz money, but I finished my run. Not much to talk about strategy here. Rapid Fire and Hermes Sandals. A bit tough when my Ranger and stronger Berserker got Olded during Ned, but even some rough Grand Crosses didn't finish me off.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Shwqa posted:

No, I'm getting no response when I try to run. I do not understand what's wrong. And would REALLY like to find out because this run would SO much easier if I could just run.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

No, I'm getting no response when I try to run. I do not understand what's wrong. And would REALLY like to find out because this run would SO much easier if I could just run.

Is it a particular enemy arrangement, or all encounters?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maleketh posted:

Is it a particular enemy arrangement, or all encounters?

I have not been able to run at all the entire game, and I've tried in dozens of different encounters.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I have not been able to run at all the entire game, and I've tried in dozens of different encounters.

you know you have to hold it, right

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Kyrosiris posted:

Hey, figured you should know: when I opened that link, my Microsoft Security Essentials lost its loving poo poo. You should probably make sure Wordpress/your theme are up-to-date and that poo poo isn't injected with badness. :(

Le sigh. Thank you. It's clean, but something about the hit tracker my Wordpress uses makes some antivir programs go haywire. The vNucleus folks I run my server through (I think they're goons?) keep things locked down nicely, but I just can't seem to get rid of it. Like, for example, I had to petition Twitter directly to get them to stop tagging the links.

Ah well, thanks for the heads up, and if nothing else I'm happy you were interested. The FJF was super fun and I can't wait to give it another whirl next year.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

alcharagia posted:

you know you have to hold it, right

Yes, I know.

Not that it matters now. I'm stuck on Twintania. I'm going to have to reset to an earlier save outside the rift just so I can get coral rings, I guess. This is my second failed attempt to go into the rift where I have had to reset my progress, this is starting to suck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Ah well, thanks for the heads up, and if nothing else I'm happy you were interested. The FJF was super fun and I can't wait to give it another whirl next year.

You can always run it again! :D (says the person currently quickleaking Shinryu on his eighth run)

Also I'm always interested to read people's media on the Fiesta.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Not that it matters now. I'm stuck on Twintania. I'm going to have to reset to an earlier save outside the rift just so I can get coral rings, I guess. This is my second failed attempt to go into the rift where I have had to reset my progress, this is starting to suck.

Kill the Berserkers in an earlier fight, and just heal up from what Twin does until the charging phase, then shiv her with a Death Sickle.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Kill the Berserkers in an earlier fight, and just heal up from what Twin does until the charging phase, then shiv her with a Death Sickle.

Hey, that worked!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Maleketh posted:

The FF Wiki has monster etymologies too! :eng101:

Okay, that's underwhelming, but they can't all be winners.

Then you both might be happy to hear that Final Fantasy 14 totally makes that pun with a giant slug monster/FATE with that reference :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Pretty sure the answer is no but thought I'd double check anyway. Outside of incredibly huge luck, there's really no way to beat Omega with Knight/Summoner/Ranger/Dancer is there?

• Locked thread