Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
You guys started without me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

thideras posted:

You guys started without me :(

Just a practice!

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

WienerDog posted:

Just a practice!
Aww yeah, let's do this. :getin:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
FYI Gutbomb, I ran a few laps on Bathurst and was getting 2:13's to 2:15's so 35 laps might be a tad long. I'd be down for 50 or w/e but I know you try to keep the racing to roughly an hour so adjust if you see fit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A while ago, I set out to set top 1000 times on all tracks in all classes in Forza 4, and I mostly succeeded in this (Positano in F class, and Road America in several classes, were beyond my ability). Now that I'm pumped for Forza 6, I'm gonna try and do this in Forza 2 and maybe even Forza 3. God help me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

FYI Gutbomb, I ran a few laps on Bathurst and was getting 2:13's to 2:15's so 35 laps might be a tad long. I'd be down for 50 or w/e but I know you try to keep the racing to roughly an hour so adjust if you see fit.

We'll do 27 laps then.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Tonight, 9PM, who is in for some dice racing or D and C class races? (I suggested setting a meeting time would be easier so here you go)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Tonight, 9PM, who is in for some dice racing or D and C class races? (I suggested setting a meeting time would be easier so here you go)

Any chance you would be interested in doing this in FM4 instead of FM5? (I'm assuming you've still got FM4)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I am up for doing this tonight around 9 in FM5.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was starting to get worried nobody would reply :) Around 9 it is.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I'm on my way out of town or I'd be there.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I assume that is EST, which means I can't join you since I'm at work.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Lets have another race at 9, the last one was tons of fun and i could seriously do this daily.

(Unless you're one of those fraud goons that has plans on saturday night)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm on cape cod with no Xbox so I'm out.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Aw, man... I really wanted to race with Dizzle until this much better opportunity came up:

A hobo who lives under the interchange between I-77 and Tyvola Road offered to scrape my gums with a soldering iron (like, seriously, where do you get that kind of electricity under an overpass??) and I thought, "Hrm... race with an another unapologetic griefer or let a hobo ruin my mouth? Yeah, I'll go with the hobo."

My mouth is burned all to Hell and back but I think I still made the right choice.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
Delayed response, but can someone link what wheels they are using with Forza? I looked online and saw a few different ones. Wasn't sure if there was a big difference between them.

I'm tempted to wait for the new Fanatec v2 base, but I'm balking at the price and don't think I'd use it that seriously.

I will not be able to make it to the race this week, I forgot it was a holiday weekend. Got to start early.

thideras fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 29, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I''d suggest GutBomb is the man to answer your questions. He's an expert where racing wheels are concerned.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If you want to get something today, the thrustmaster is probably the wheel to have but you need to pay extra for a real shifter, fanatec is amazing but you pay to play. A bunch of good stuff is sure to come as we get closer to forza 6.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 30, 2015

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If you want to get something today, the thrustmaster is probably the wheel to have but you need to pay extra for a real shifter, fanatec is amazing but you pay to play. A bunch of good stuff is sure to come as we get closer to forza 6.
Doesn't have to be now, which is why I'm considering grabbing the Fanatec v2 base (or v1 base if it works?) + Xbone rim; price is the only downside, I'd definitely use for more than Forza.

I was reading the PCARS thread; am I a bad person for using no assists and simulation steering with a controller? I feel it drives fine. :v:

thideras fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 30, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think i'm very unlikely to drive with a wheel. I want a $200-$300 wheel with a shifter and 3 pedals. Anything more than that is valued too high. I traditionally have driven controller with no assists, but i found my racing got a lot cleaner this year when i switched steering to normal. I even think simulation mode is not designed for a thumb stick, so its more of a configuration than an assist.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So I might get an Xbone, should I get Forza 5 or hold out for Forza 6? I've been playing forza 4 recently and I really love all the cars they have!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So I might get an Xbone, should I get Forza 5 or hold out for Forza 6? I've been playing forza 4 recently and I really love all the cars they have!

Do what i did and get a used copy for :20bux: It's very fun. We have weekly races on wednesday. I ended up buying the dlc but you probably could do just as well skipping that.

There's a walmart deal up right now.. get a bone and extra controller and game and master chief collection for $350

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Wait until Forza 6. If you love all the cars that Forza 4 has, just skip 5. Forza 6 will have all of the content from Forza 5 + all DLC (hopefully) + other new cars and tracks.

Edit: it's like less than 3 months away anyway.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea skip 5.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I mean, if you're gonna have an XBone anyway, and you don't mind dropping $30 or however much you can find it for used, it's not a terrible game to have. Just don't expect to touch it once FM6 comes out.

If you gotta go fast, you could always consider grabbing Horizon 2, its pretty fun.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I was also going to suggest Horizon 2. That game was great fun for 2 months, and FM6 is due in 70 days for early access so it's perfect.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Speaking of Forza 6, I guess there's no physical copy of any edition other than the standard edition? That's a shame.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

i found my racing got a lot cleaner this year
Hahahahaha, "cleaner."

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

Speaking of Forza 6, I guess there's no physical copy of any edition other than the standard edition? That's a shame.

I think this discussion is also happening in the FM6 thread, but at this time it seems this is the case. Even the LE Forza 6 console only comes with the standard as far as we know.

I recall one or both of FM5 and FH2 allowed you to buy deluxe/VIP/car pass separately on the store if you only had Standard ed., but I guess even if they did that for 6 it wouldn't get you that sweet, sweet early access.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

If you haven't turned your xbone since Sunday you should probably do it before 10. There is a smallish update to download.

Prettypanda fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 2, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does anybody want to do some dice racing tonight at all? Say at 9 est?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Ill be online if you send an invite.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ill be online if you send an invite.

K, only need one or two more grid girls to make this a real party.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i had nightmares of a 28th lap that never ended

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I borrowed this from a friend. Holy poo poo, all the standard cars from 4 seem to be DLC :shepicide:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I borrowed this from a friend. Holy poo poo, all the standard cars from 4 seem to be DLC :shepicide:

Consider yourself lucky. When i bought the game when it was new, all the standard cars from 4 weren't in the game.

7/3 EDIT: Gutbomb i'm gonna do some testing with the miata to see how long stock tires vs drag tires vs race tires last just in case the suggestion to feature one longer race and one short race next season, instead of three short ones. It was brought up in the room but i'm curious what you guys think of that format, or the introduction of tires that degrade quickly? Was pitting as part of a race a fun twist for anybody but i?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 3, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This wednesday!
Spec Miata
Tracks:
Laguna Secs
Road Atlanta Club
Prague Short Reverse

Car:
1994 Mazda Miata

Engine:
Exhaust Street
Oil and Cooling Street

Platform and Handling:
Brakes Race
Springs and Dampers Race
Front Anti-Roll Bar Race
Rear Anti-Roll Bar Race
Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage Race
Weight Reduction Street

Drivetrain:
Clutch Street

Tires and Rims:
Tires Sport
Upgraded Front Tire Width to 195/55R15
Upgraded Rear Tire Width to 195/55R15
Rim Style any wheel that reduces weight by 10 pounds, so the buddy clubs or the team dynamic pro 2s or any other wheel you find that reduces by 10 pounds.
Front Rim Size 15"
Rear Rim Size 15"
Total Performance Index Should be D371
Any performance upgrade of any kind that is not listed above is not allowed.

Remember, these are spec cars so the spec here is the minimum and maximum. Sport tires means sport tires, not any tire option up to sport. Only sport.

After installing the upgrades go nuts tuning.

We are going to do 3 20 minute races instead of 10 minute races. There was a good response to the long race we did this past week so I'd like to do that from now on. We'll try it the first week and see how it goes. For future weeks we might keep the spec Miata races at 20 mins and the spec of the week races at 10 mins. Let me know what you think.

Also I didn't want to have to say this but this is a no contact racing series. Don't pass in the corners. If you're faster than someone then you can pass them on a straight too. And don't bump from behind (or any direction, really) on a straight (or a corner) either. If the only way to get by someone is to bump them out of the way, you don't deserve the position. And to the guy in front, blocking isn't allowed. Just keep your line.

This applies to the following situation as well. If the person ahead of you is using "too much" of the track, that's not an invitation to sneak up inside which will inevitably take him out. A person using too much track is going to have a slower corner exit speed so just hang back to take the corner properly and pass on the straight. Using patience keeps it fun for everyone.

This means you Dizzle. You get your spec Miata. Return the favor with some respect for the guy in front.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 4, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

"GutBomb" posted:

We are going to do 3 20 minute races instead of 10 minute races. There was a good response to the long race we did this past week so I'd like to do that from now on. We'll try it the first week and see how it goes. For future weeks we might keep the spec Miata races at 20 mins and the spec of the week races at 10 mins. Let me know what you think

The longer races were tons of fun, but for east coasters not up past midnight on the regular these races already end a little late before adding another 20 minutes. That is is why my proposal had one long race and one short one. So if we're doing 3 could we possibly move the start time forward a half hour?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 4, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm cool with 9:30 PM. Any objections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If you are available to get online in the next hour or three gutbomb we can do some spec miata test racing. I suspect the tracks may need to be non-random to keep things tight and technical, only one way to find out! :)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 4, 2015

• Locked thread