Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, upon having acquired a few pieces of law gear, I'm now realizing it looks terrible. Are there some good resources for finding good sets for glamour/pretty princess dress up for this game? I've literally never glamour'd anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nekrews posted:

So I'm finally about to wrap up 2.55 and head into Ishgard, and I gotta say, everything involving Raubahn in the end cutscenes is just so satisfying. The bit with Adeledji getting fuckin destroyed totally caught me off guard and it was wonderful!

I just did those quests last night and the story was really good. It got me really excited to go into the expansion.

Creeping Chaos
Nov 15, 2012
Is Excalibur making GBS threads itself or is it just something with my connection?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Server is making GBS threads itself, don't know if it's all of excalibur or just some people.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nekrews posted:

So I'm finally about to wrap up 2.55 and head into Ishgard, and I gotta say, everything involving Raubahn in the end cutscenes is just so satisfying. The bit with Adeledji getting fuckin destroyed totally caught me off guard and it was wonderful!

There's a lot to like about the end of 2.55 but the way the WoL does absolutely nothing for that entire hour-long sequence is frustrating and it's probably the most egregious instance where the smile-and-nod protagonist thing falls totally flat. The way they handle the WoL in cutscenes prohibits you from doing anything proactive in them most of the time, and normally they work around that by either not putting you in situations that demand immediate action or by resolving things or moving over to gameplay quickly enough that it isn't quite so glaring. For most of that ending sequence though I was just like "okay, come on, you're gonna have to let me do something here, right?" and they never did and it stuck in my craw enough that it still bothers me even though I know it really shouldn't.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 4, 2015

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Dessel posted:

So, upon having acquired a few pieces of law gear, I'm now realizing it looks terrible. Are there some good resources for finding good sets for glamour/pretty princess dress up for this game? I've literally never glamour'd anything.

I usually just browse through the Lodestone item database and/or xivdb, people have typically uploaded images of most things - and the icons on the former database are pretty big and give you a good idea of the item look even if there isn't a screenshot.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Creeping Chaos posted:

Is Excalibur making GBS threads itself or is it just something with my connection?

Got disconnected while in a dungeon and can't get back ,saw 400+ people in que though.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Agent355 posted:

Server is making GBS threads itself, don't know if it's all of excalibur or just some people.

Exodus also.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
game dead let's go play WoW

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

There's a lot to like about the end of 2.55 but the way the WoL does absolutely nothing for that entire hour-long sequence is frustrating and it's probably the most egregious instance where the smile-and-nod protagonist thing falls totally flat. The way they handle the WoL in cutscenes prohibits you from doing anything proactive in them most of the time, and normally they work around that by either not putting you in situations that demand immediate action or by resolving things or moving over to gameplay quickly enough that it isn't quite so glaring. For most of that ending sequence though I was just like "okay, come on, you're gonna have to let me do something here, right?" and they never did and it stuck in my craw enough that it still bothers me even though I know it really shouldn't.

I already had that and most of the twists spoiled for me so I wasn't too invested in the whole thing really. But the common explanation that no weapon = no power works for me.

Just started the Ishgard stuff and the fact that Alphinaud has a new VA that doesn't make me switch tabs is cool too!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just got to Ishgard last night so I tried out the new classes. I really love the animations for Dark Knight. I had thought about leveling a Machinist but fights with it seemed actively not fun.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm having a problem resubbing. I've switched phones since I last played FFXIV so I need to password from my account management page to get a one time password from my software token, but I need my one time password to enter my account management page. Has anyone else had this problem and found a way past this?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your best bet is to call customer service for this. Be prepared, when I did it I waited over an hour on hold.

I have the emergency removal code stored in about 4 different places now so I'll never lose it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nekrews posted:

Just started the Ishgard stuff and the fact that Alphinaud has a new VA that doesn't make me switch tabs is cool too!

On the other hand Urianger is no longer XII's Balthier which is the worst thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nekrews posted:

I already had that and most of the twists spoiled for me so I wasn't too invested in the whole thing really. But the common explanation that no weapon = no power works for me.

They actually mention that in the 50 DRK quest. Speaking of which, that entire 30-50 questline is pretty incredible. Although it really makes me wish there was a chair made of skulls and bones in the game. The post 50 DRK trainer though, it's like YoshiP kept sending back the design with the words 'more spikes' and 'darker' written on them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Is there a newbie thread for this game? I'm just starting out and tanking dungeons and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is it enough to just hold threat as a marauder or should I be doing something else on top of that?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Kjermzs posted:

Just tried to have a buddy who is trying the game try to make a character at 1AMand it's closed tonight. I'll probably try again at 4am :(

Tried at 8AM, no dice. Guess we really will need to try at 4AM.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Irish Joe posted:

Is it enough to just hold threat as a marauder or should I be doing something else on top of that?

If you can do that much you're doing better than 70% of newbie tanks. As you get higher levelled you'll get some debuffs you can put on from your Maim combo, but otherwise you're probably doing fine.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Is there a newbie thread for this game? I'm just starting out and tanking dungeons and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is it enough to just hold threat as a marauder or should I be doing something else on top of that?

Basically, imagine it's the Last Week Tonight thread and the enemies are the other posters in it.

(In other words: as a tank early on, yeah, holding threat is your main concern. Make sure to play through each of the guildhests; they teach basic yet important tactics for dungeons and the like.)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man, being on vacation this week is gonna kill me once I get back Wednesday...gonna be so behind! I just hit 60 the night before I left!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
No rush man. No weekly poetics to cap on and no Alexander lockouts for two more weeks.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Minrad posted:

No rush man. No weekly poetics to cap on and no Alexander lockouts for two more weeks.
Isn't Alexander normal this Tuesday? I've gotten lucky with drops and I'm i143 and still have to do all the lvl 60 MSQ stuff, so catching up shouldn't be too hard.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ouhei posted:

Isn't Alexander normal this Tuesday? I've gotten lucky with drops and I'm i143 and still have to do all the lvl 60 MSQ stuff, so catching up shouldn't be too hard.

Alexander normal has Crystal tower style loot lockouts but you can run it multiple times meaning people can easily help/do it again

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

staplegun posted:

Most important is to have at least 600 gp, otherwise it's probably going to be really painful to collect anything that has significant challenge in it (basically anything requiring 450 collection for scrip turnins).

It's going to be slow to start out with, but this rotation pretty much maximizes collectability and gives you one gathering attempt at the node. I still use it for high level collection (58, 59) scrip turnins.
code:
/ac "Utmost Caution" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Discerning Eye" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Methodical Appraisal" <me><wait.3>
/ac "Utmost Caution" <me><wait.3>
Eventually you'll start getting your leftside filled out and you'll be able to do fancier rotations. Here's what I use for level 56 collections that gives 3 gathering attempts.
code:
/ac "Single Mind" <me><wait.3>
I'm at 550 gathering and 527 perception when doing this. You could probably drop the gathering down significantly if you're in a pinch and it won't hurt you too much (the success rate is like 98% at 550) but the perception is pretty much a hard requirement since the total collectability will be almost exactly 450.

I'm using the full trailblazer's set and partially melded HQ i55s for those stats. I also buy Trapper's Quiche from the Ishgard green grocer (there's probably better options if you need perception but it's cheap).

I have just over 600 GP, but do these take into account revealing the items with toil or doing it manually?

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

Thumbtacks posted:

I just saw Joye holding a pistol the cool way in a cutscene. Namely, she had the good /cpose where you hold the gun out like you're prepared for battle (the man one), and not the dumb female one where you're doing what I can only describe as Charlie's Angels but with Downs.

Is that a hyur thing or is it just specific to Joye?

Joye only. My Highlander, who can't even sit comfortably because they gave her a badass kneel instead, also does the knock knees gun up stance.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Alexander normal has Crystal tower style loot lockouts but you can run it multiple times meaning people can easily help/do it again

Yep. And if it gives law or people hunt a specific drop,they'll definitely be running it all week.

They said it would be coil with echo difficulty... But twin Tania was night impossible with pugs, so we'll see how it shakes out. :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dessel posted:

Step 1: fantasia to highlander.
Step 2: find some pants and boots that look good by themselves.
Step 3: emperor's new ____ for all other slots.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My bags are full of airship parts and the things airships bring back I think I may need an intervention.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

I have just over 600 GP, but do these take into account revealing the items with toil or doing it manually?

Got my first gathering scrips with the advice you guys gave me, so thanks! Hopefully SE keeps the curve as they add more stuff less crazy than gathering/crafting got to be in late ARR.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

My bags are full of airship parts and the things airships bring back I think I may need an intervention.

How do you get a second one, we've been sending ours out for a while.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Manually, you can check if toil is needed by just adding up the ability costs in the rotation. It's not used a lot after a certain point because toil becomes useless for collecting after level 56, since at 57 single mind serves the same purpose but for 100gp less. Before 57 though, there are some rotations that let you eke out another gathering attempt using it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Stormgale posted:

Also, what ship parts does an alchemist bring to the table with this? Or is there basically nothing I can do to help my FC with theirs because get rekt nerd?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Stormgale posted:

Currently PBC's GSS Yoship One is our only ship, and working closely with DGKK's Setalla we've determined so far that we have no idea how the next ship can be launched.

Right now we're speculating it could still be tied to having a higher rank but our leading theory is that while Yoshi P said up to four ships, he never said right away and its gated like Alexander or some other feature to make sure huge groups like ours don't get anywhere too fast ahead of everyone else.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also, what ship parts does an alchemist bring to the table with this? Or is there basically nothing I can do to help my FC with theirs because get rekt nerd?

Alchs and lower level crafter's all have parts to play but it depends on the part as to if they will be needed. I can tell you for sure that anyone who wants tier 3 company actions will need an alch.

( to make aetherial wheels which is the exclusive way to get mark 3 actions and can only create said wheels from airship returned materials)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

staplegun posted:

Manually, you can check if toil is needed by just adding up the ability costs in the rotation. It's not used a lot after a certain point because toil becomes useless for collecting after level 56, since at 57 single mind serves the same purpose but for 100gp less. Before 57 though, there are some rotations that let you eke out another gathering attempt using it.

...so, this whole time I thought you HAD to use toil, and just assumed people somehow had ridiculous amounts of gp :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rei_ posted:

Bismarck Extreme is when you start taking long hard looks at your friends who are still wearing Dreadwyrm gear

Also you know what? Kind of a bad fight. If they wanna gate poo poo behind a DPS wall great but I swear to god several of the AOEs in that fight hover slightly off the ground making it hard to judge if you've dodged from certain camera angles

Markers for baleen bomb aren't 2D generic circles so they'll be up off the ground some but unless you play with your camera at about a 20 degree angle it shouldn't cause any problems.

Rei_ posted:

I'm still kind of disappointed that Hildebrand is not in Theatrhythm Curtain Call

Gonna be legit sad when FFRK's FF14 event hits and we get Y'shtola or some other loser instead of Godbert and Hildibrand. We already have Greg. :getin:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Airship info

Cool, it might be to do with going on missions at a specific rank, I could see you getting a new airship at 50% of cap gating it like it

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You can still use toil, you have to before 57 anyway. Important thing is to have enough perception to get 113 collectability per hit. You should be able to get 2x of the 450 items as soon as they're available.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'm pretty much purely leveling DoL and DoH just to screw around with airships, they look a lot of fun

i might be insane

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm having a problem resubbing. I've switched phones since I last played FFXIV so I need to password from my account management page to get a one time password from my software token, but I need my one time password to enter my account management page. Has anyone else had this problem and found a way past this?

Unless you have the emergency removal password you need to contact support. They open at 0900 pacific on Monday. Get in line a little after that and set aside an hour or two.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rafzakael posted:

I'm pretty much purely leveling DoL and DoH just to screw around with airships, they look a lot of fun

i might be insane

They're literally just guild retainers, there's nothing particularly fun about them. They couldn't even give us a canned animation of our characters riding it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Your three main jobs as a tank are 1. hold threat, 2. do damage, and 3. not die. 1 and 2 are inextricably tied together, so it sounds like you're doing a great job so far! Someone is writing up a general tanking guide on the FFgoons site, that should be up in the next few days, so please look forward to it.

• Locked thread