Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yu gi oh chat brought this upon us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
RAMURORA DA!

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA

WRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Edit: A pallet cleanser.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 4, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

black potus posted:

yu gi oh chat brought this upon us

I'll bring THIS upon you

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

kizudarake posted:

Also, after looking at her page, specifically, what she's charging for you to send her cards to be signed, and the poo poo-tier alters and collector proof alters(by her assistant)/5 minute sketches, it seems like she doesn't respect her fans that came her way from magic. I could understand that kind of money if she's going to an event as an art guest, and her illustrations are nice, and her prints are mostly reasonably priced, but I think it's too much, overall.
That's really a shame because I met her at GenCon back in 2004 and she is just the sweetest, chillest person I've met.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'll be going to the prerelease next saturday after not playing magic in years. I pretty much only played in prereleases before because I was too poor to buy a deck, and I always top 4'd. Here's to hoping it works out again (picking red or white)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This art thing is just like complaining about gp payouts. Payouts suck, but gps are bigger than ever. Why in that case would they pay out more?

Artists are lining up to get a feather in the hat of their portfolio to show they've made it and gotten a commission from magic, regardless of how little they are payed. The technical artistry is there, too so it's not about artist quality either. If the artists agree to the rates and licensing terms, I don't see why he is bitching. And if he's done working with them, why doesn't he come out and just say what the rate is?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Because it probably isn't nearly as bad as he's making it out to be.

I know plenty of people who bitch about their jobs even though they're perfectly good jobs that pay well for what they do, I still don't understand.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
man, this BUG delver guy at Grand Prix Lille is facing Storm game 2. He puts his Pithing Needled on lions eye diamond. That uh doesn't work. Then tries to Stifle the mana activation. :-( Then, doesn't side board out the stifles. Am I missing something? What's left to stifle outside of fetches?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

oryx posted:

Then, doesn't side board out the stifles. Am I missing something? What's left to stifle outside of fetches?

The Storm trigger at least.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

oryx posted:

man, this BUG delver guy at Grand Prix Lille is facing Storm game 2. He puts his Pithing Needled on lions eye diamond. That uh doesn't work. Then tries to Stifle the mana activation. :-( Then, doesn't side board out the stifles. Am I missing something? What's left to stifle outside of fetches?

The Storm trigger on Tendrils.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Where the kitties at, I've fought against my dogs like three times now

E: lol this isn't splatoon

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 4, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Not to mention Stifling fetches against Storm is crazy good considering the miniscule land count.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saeku posted:

The Storm trigger on Tendrils.

oh dur, that makes sense. It also makes the LED stifle even more baffling.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Miracles player on stream doing God's work, playing lands in front.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
LED is a hard card to understand because it has stack base dining restrictions but doesn't use the stack.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Serperoth posted:

Miracles player on stream doing God's work, playing lands in front.

Hahaha, way to stop your opponent from starting his turn so you can blow your Terminus trigger.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you haven't seen it yet, tonetta made a new thread on gbs about sexual predators playing our kids card game. And starving autist is on the case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

LED is a hard card to understand because it has stack base dining restrictions but doesn't use the stack.
I like that it's one of the rare cases where Gatherer breaks character and acknowledges that the card is "a bit weird".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'd rather listen to MaRo tell me they're not making another Kamigawa block than post in GBS, but holy poo poo Starving Autist is terrible. How hard is "If it comes to light that you're a rapeman, you're banned, fucko" to understand?

I can see why his rap sheet is the size of a Hard Practice exam now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Chill la Chill posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, tonetta made a new thread on gbs about sexual predators playing our kids card game. And starving autist is on the case.

I hope he's actually starving in real life.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Speaking of Kamigawa I... was interested in making a deck from it but then I looked at it and I have no idea what I'm looking at. I heard it was a weird set but WOW.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh, how i wish tonetta had posted that in d&d

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can still get the thread moved, no?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
by now its been too gbs-ified, i'm not gonna dump that on the d&d mods

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

by now its been too gbs-ified, i'm not gonna dump that on the d&d mods

that's fair.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Supposedly he meant to post it there.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

How hard is "If it comes to light that you're a rapeman, you're banned, fucko" to understand?

One of the Judge Conference topics I went to at my first conference was something the presenter called "nerd social fallacies" about the sort of obstacles a Judge might encounter while trying to promote a healthy community.

They presented the idea that for communities where people who are bullied or ostracized gather for escapism or acceptance, exclusion becomes an immensely taboo act. They shared a few personal experiences of extremely toxic people who were a detriment to the community and who no one even liked or wanted around but the idea of telling that person to either change their behavior or not come back was just completely unpalatable to the store/playgroup. It didn't matter how toxic they were to the group, telling them to go away was always, always worse.

Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense to explain why so many of these terrible nerds are immediately jumping to defend the precious rights of a rape guy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ciprian Maricon posted:

One of the Judge Conference topics I went to at my first conference was something the presenter called "nerd social fallacies" about the sort of obstacles a Judge might encounter while trying to promote a healthy community.

They presented the idea that for communities where people who are bullied or ostracized gather for escapism or acceptance, exclusion becomes an immensely taboo act. They shared a few personal experiences of extremely toxic people who were a detriment to the community and who no one even liked or wanted around but the idea of telling that person to either change their behavior or not come back was just completely unpalatable to the store/playgroup. It didn't matter how toxic they were to the group, telling them to go away was always, always worse.

Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense to explain why so many of these terrible nerds are immediately jumping to defend the precious rights of a rape guy.

These tend to be the same people that end up trying to drive others away because they might be a "fake gamer."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Oh good I hope we get subjected to another hundred pages of talking about another thread like some bastard inbred helldump baby

that will certainly make for interesting discussion that we haven't had before and couldn't take over to the GBS thread

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I wish I could find that presentation because there is honestly a lot more that's applicable to this sort of situation, like how "acceptance" is a very important value for these groups so they end up accepting everything even if it's undeniably bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh good I hope we get subjected to another hundred pages of talking about another thread like some bastard inbred helldump baby

that will certainly make for interesting discussion that we haven't had before and couldn't take over to the GBS thread

Yes please tell us how talking about the sweet draft combos in origins are more important than how our hobby is perceived and who gets to play it and all that non game integrity stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I wish I could find that presentation because there is honestly a lot more that's applicable to this sort of situation, like how "acceptance" is a very important value for these groups so they end up accepting everything even if it's undeniably bad.

This is probably why that guy who kept using Izzet=Is it jokes was tolerated for so long.

BTW I forget if it I was you who went to curio recently but Tom (owner) got wind from my Facebook ramblings about women not wanting to play uncomfortable and he says he's open to talking about it. Now I'm an old time friend of his and will bring up the issue when it comes up next time but if you do decide to go back and see the behavior again you probably have leverage/weight as a judge to talk to him about it and what you can do.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Onmi posted:

Speaking of Kamigawa I... was interested in making a deck from it but then I looked at it and I have no idea what I'm looking at. I heard it was a weird set but WOW.

It has a number of fun things to play with, amazingly good flavor, and has provided a number of toys for Eternal Formats to suddenly find use for as time goes on but a lot of it's actual mechanics were incredibly parasitic. Soulshift isn't as bad anymore since Spirits have become much more common now but at the time they only existed in Kamigawa.

The set as a whole was really under-received because it was nowhere near the power level of Mirrodin and a lot of the real-world references in the flavor went right over peoples heads since it was based on actual old Japanese culture/mythology instead of what Animes had taught nerds about that stuff.

Champions of Kamigawa is a really cool Draft Format though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes please tell us how talking about the sweet draft combos in origins are more important than how our hobby is perceived and who gets to play it and all that non game integrity stuff.

Because it doesn't matter, you're still going to be looked at as greasy neckbeard nerds. Those are the people on the streams at the tournaments doing well, those are the people doing coverage. It doesn't matter that LSVs a super nice guy the fact is he looks like a troll and outsiders will always think he is a troll. If you focus to much on your image, you'll wind up like Vince McMahon, obsessed with trying to get people to take him seriously and promoting his product as 'not wrestling' because wrestling is looked at as something for the hicks, in the end never changing public perception because things like this cannot be changed.

Magic's perception is burned into the brain of society and a mass purging of every horrid element is never going to change that, it's a scarlet letter, something you'll never be able to escape from. That's not to say you shouldn't strive to get rid of horrible people, absolutely the opposite if you accept a scummy person no matter who they are then you make it acceptable.

But don't kid yourself. This game could be played by supermodels who all have perfectly diverse gender and race and are the sweetest human beings imaginable and it will still be considered a gross game for sweaty nerds who can't get a girl.

Cernunnos posted:

It has a number of fun things to play with, amazingly good flavor, and has provided a number of toys for Eternal Formats to suddenly find use for as time goes on but a lot of it's actual mechanics were incredibly parasitic. Soulshift isn't as bad anymore since Spirits have become much more common now but at the time they only existed in Kamigawa.

The set as a whole was really under-received because it was nowhere near the power level of Mirrodin and a lot of the real-world references in the flavor went right over peoples heads since it was based on actual old Japanese culture/mythology instead of what Animes had taught nerds about that stuff.

Champions of Kamigawa is a really cool Draft Format though.

It seemed very flavorful, but I tried to do a sealed event with 2 of each pack of the blocks and I was just... at an absolute loss on deck construction. I feel like doing a Limited of the whole block is a bad idea.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Most of us genuinely stop believing "nothing really matters or can ever change" when we graduate middle school bro.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Onmi posted:

It seemed very flavorful, but I tried to do a sealed event with 2 of each pack of the blocks and I was just... at an absolute loss on deck construction. I feel like doing a Limited of the whole block is a bad idea.

Yeah whole Block is pretty awful. Champions on it's own is great though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Most of us genuinely stop believing "nothing really matters or can ever change" when we graduate middle school bro.

I didn't say that, I said public perception would never change. THAT is what you shouldn't care about. How the community actually is you should totally care about. But don't do it for silly poo poo like "Public perception." that's not happening. But thank you for taking it completely the wrong way and misrepresenting it.

Cernunnos posted:

Yeah whole Block is pretty awful. Champions on it's own is great though.

I'll try doing a Champions draft or sealed then, thank you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

If you focus to much on your image, you'll wind up like Vince McMahon, obsessed with trying to get people to take him seriously and promoting his product as 'not wrestling' because wrestling is looked at as something for the hicks, in the end never changing public perception because things like this cannot be changed.

We'll have this problem when Mark Rosewater pushes for incest storylines and makes women bark like dogs.

Multiple times.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
dear mark rosewater, what color is zach jesse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We'll have this problem when Mark Rosewater pushes for incest storylines and makes women bark like dogs.

Multiple times.

I must've missed that episode of Roseanne.

• Locked thread