Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

yardblog posted:

Has anyone else's bluetooth functionality poo poo the bed after updating to 8.4? I was previously 8.1.something and pairing with my Mazda 3 worked flawlessly. After a fresh update/restore to 8.4 my iPhone won't detect my Mazda at all.

I had to re-pair all my devices, but I'm not sure if that was due to 8.4 or the 8.4 jailbreak.

robodex posted:

Yeah, could be "me too" syndrome but my GPS was awful today... Super clear outside, in the suburbs and I couldn't get a good GPS lock.

This too. It took about 10 mins to get an accurate lock on where I am, when it usually takes 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My phone (5S) is working normally.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but is there any way I can download all my music to my iPhone without syncing it?

I want to be able to just hit a button that says "download all songs". Is there any way to do this in iOS 8.4?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
That's exactly what syncing is. It's just another name for downloading all your music to your phone.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The reason I ask is because none of my music is on my computer, because iTunes Match chucked a hissy fit when I was switching accounts and now says I don't have access to my library for another 40 days. So I can't download music to my comp until then.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Senuti

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

kitten smoothie posted:

Agreed - assuming you're otherwise ok with the 4S, I'd just get a new battery. That'll last you two months through to September when the new phones come out/prices drop and you'll get more phone for your money. Or just continue using it, because iOS 9 will work on the 4S too.

They're on Amazon for $20 or less, including the screwdriver needed for the special snowflake screws on the bottom of the phone. Replacing it is stupid easy, as in "two minutes for anyone" sort of easy.

Apologies that it's a few pages down since your response, I guess that the only question I'd have is whether the Amazon batteries might be surplus/used ones...

I got the notion from watching this vid,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOZZeTTR1o

I'll admit, the vid's a couple of years old, and might not necessarily be the most objective/unbiased commentary given...Though I'd like to get a battery that's got lower power recycles than what I currently have, obviously.

Looking at some of the Amazon comments for said battery kits aren't making this decison easier, either...I'll also admit that I could possibly be overthinking this as well...Equally valid!

Thoughts?

Also, what might be a good battery monitoring app for getting readings, similar to what's being used in the link? Free is obviously preferred, but paid isn't out of the question, if it's good.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone else having issues with their iPhone being extremely unresponsive a lot of the time when the Music app is running, even when it's in the background and you're just swiping through home screen pages? iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone else having issues with their iPhone being extremely unresponsive a lot of the time when the Music app is running, even when it's in the background and you're just swiping through home screen pages? iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.

Yup, it's lagged a few times on the home screen. Like slow motion swiping, same iPhone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nope, sorry. iPhone 5S.

In some ways it's showing its age, but animations are still pretty snappy in general.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone have experience with this car mount from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Mount-iOttie-Magnetic-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00Q3G8LPQ/ref=lp_10509630011_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1435932915&sr=1-2

Looks pretty good, and cheap, which is important.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Love the new thread title

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

CelestialScribe posted:

The reason I ask is because none of my music is on my computer, because iTunes Match chucked a hissy fit when I was switching accounts and now says I don't have access to my library for another 40 days. So I can't download music to my comp until then.

Any chance iTunes match managed to upload successfully to the ID you want? I guess that would make this too easy :(

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Welp, just had to call Apple Support and spend 30 minutes talking to southerners to answer the question "How do I copy mp3s from my computer to my iPhone?" I am approaching middle age, feed and dress myself, perform many complicated tasks with computers daily, like write music and edit video, just to flesh out our User Story Persona.

Apparently, I had to turn off iTunes Cloud Music something something on the phone.

We're at the point where if Apple was a DVD player company, a significant chunk of the population would have to call in to ask "How do I put the DVD into the machine?"

The people who do UX over there must hate themselves.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ClancyEverafter posted:

Welp, just had to call Apple Support and spend 30 minutes talking to southerners to answer the question "How do I copy mp3s from my computer to my iPhone?" I am approaching middle age, feed and dress myself, perform many complicated tasks with computers daily, like write music and edit video, just to flesh out our User Story Persona.

Apparently, I had to turn off iTunes Cloud Music something something on the phone.

We're at the point where if Apple was a DVD player company, a significant chunk of the population would have to call in to ask "How do I put the DVD into the machine?"

The people who do UX over there must hate themselves.
Sorry your dumb.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sorry your dumb.

I do a lot of UX stuff for a living, it's just a sad commentary on where we've gotten to. I dunno if I'm dumb, or just old, or whatever, but it seems like "copy mp3 to device" should be a very self-evident function of a device like this and the software you use to interface with it, and it's just not.

Which is a lot of words to say yes, I'm probably sorry I'm dumb too, but I'm not as dumb as their UX strategy, so I got that goin' for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ClancyEverafter posted:

I do a lot of UX stuff for a living, it's just a sad commentary on where we've gotten to. I dunno if I'm dumb, or just old, or whatever, but it seems like "copy mp3 to device" should be a very self-evident function of a device like this and the software you use to interface with it, and it's just not.

Which is a lot of words to say yes, I'm probably sorry I'm dumb too, but I'm not as dumb as their UX strategy, so I got that goin' for me.

Well, people have been moving music from computers to Apple products the same way for like 14 years. I think using libraries and syncing data using proprietary software is normal at this point. iTunes isn't great but it's not inscrutable either. You install it, drag music into it, plug your phone in and select it, and tell it to sync music through the menu.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, no.. you see, if it doesn't specifically use the word "copy," then it's all just gibberish nonsense!

Now please excuse me, I have go download some photos with my camera to my CPU and open my email Internets to the Facebook.

(Not to mention there are more file formats than just MP3 for your iDevice audio, but.. ssssshh! That'd just be pedantic.)

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Apple apologists are the worst.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sorry your dumb.

Hah.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm sympathetic to this. There should be a common logic across all operations. However, the paradigm of using synced libraries to manage media more efficiently is very common at this point. This is how photographers and video editors tend to manage their workflows, for instance.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm sympathetic to this. There should be a common logic across all operations. However, the paradigm of using synced libraries to manage media more efficiently is very common at this point. This is how photographers and video editors tend to manage their workflows, for instance.

Yeah, no, I understand all this. I was working in this paradigm until yesterday when I updated IOS and iTunes to the latest versions. Then, the previous method I'd used to get music onto my phone, which was "click on iPhone icon in iTunes, go to Music section, check off which playlists you want to sync" was no longer available. And there wasn't any direction on what to do, either, what was previously a big section with options for choosing which playlists/artists/albums you wanted synched to your device was now a big gray space, and there wasn't a single bit of evidence, no breadcrumbs, no help text, no ? circle button, nothing that indicated what you could do to change this scenario. That's really, really bad user experience.

What's even worse about this experience is that the button I had to flip to change it wasn't even in iTunes, it was in the phone, in Settings>Music. And it wasn't related to the two biggest changes I'd experienced as a user most recently, either--it wasn't a setting about Apple Music, or iTunes, which from a UX perspective, is what I was expecting--those are the things I changed, so that's what I should have to fiddle with in some way, right? Nope, it was a setting about iCloud Music, which also didn't have anything in the way of help text.

It's just a loving mess in terms of user expectations, affordance and basic courtesy.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want my technobrick doing anything I didn't tell it to. I turn off the sync functions and put everything on the phone manually, and I like it that way.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's really nothing new though. iTunes Match worked the same way. Once you flipped the switch on that, you can't sync music to your phone the old fashioned way. There's really no point to it when you think about it. All your music in the cloud so why sync it.

iCloud Music is the Apple Music equivalent of Match so it's going to work the same as well. There's zero point in syncing your phone. Your music is going to be available either through the streaming service or because the song is in your library.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wulfolme posted:

I don't want my technobrick doing anything I didn't tell it to. I turn off the sync functions and put everything on the phone manually, and I like it that way.

-- My 65-year old parents

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's really nothing new though. iTunes Match worked the same way. Once you flipped the switch on that, you can't sync music to your phone the old fashioned way. There's really no point to it when you think about it. All your music in the cloud so why sync it.

iCloud Music is the Apple Music equivalent of Match so it's going to work the same as well. There's zero point in syncing your phone. Your music is going to be available either through the streaming service or because the song is in your library.

This only works if you have unlimited cellular data and/or reliable, ubiquitous network access and also Apple's system never goes down. Basically, It Just Works, except for when it doesn't.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

withak posted:

This only works if you have unlimited cellular data and/or reliable, ubiquitous network access and also Apple's system never goes down. Basically, It Just Works, except for when it doesn't.

There's nothing stopping you from downloading songs locally to your phone when you do have internet access.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

withak posted:

A person with those issues wouldn't sign up for and use iTunes Match.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Well, I moved from an area with great coverage to an area with crappy coverage for awhile. I bought match specifically for that, downloaded my library a few days before I left, and was able to keep things synced that way until I got back. It's a good service if you understand how it works.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have no idea what issues are being discussed right now and I enjoy that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ClancyEverafter posted:

This was a major driving factor in getting me to switch from iPhone to Android back in the early days. I was meticulous about my music library, and didn't want to have to go through some lovely proprietary software just to get music on my device.

Thankfully, iTunes has improved by leaps and bounds since then (and system memory is no longer a concern as it used to be,) so it's not so bad, it just has a touch of a learning curve.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's nothing stopping you from downloading songs locally to your phone when you do have internet access.

A lot of people don't like to upload something from one device just to download it from another when you have a perfectly fine cord that bridges the foot distance between the two. It will never stop being a thing for some people, because internet access is fundamentally broken in many geographic locations and because some people just don't like adding what they view as unnecessary travel for their ones and zeros.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

A person with these issues is also the type who might get 'suckered' into Match, which is to say purchasing it without understanding what it does. Or maybe decided on a free trial, not understanding that this free trial is more than just radio stations.

Edit: Not using match or apple music, I know I confused the two in that paragraph. But, that kinda helps my point.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaizoku posted:

A person with these issues is also the type who might get 'suckered' into Match, which is to say purchasing it without understanding what it does. Or maybe decided on a free trial, not understanding that this free trial is more than just radio stations.

Edit: Not using match or apple music, I know I confused the two in that paragraph. But, that kinda helps my point.
Your point that you have no idea what you're talking about? I agree.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I've never used Apple Music Match or whatever they call that thing but here's my thoughts on the whole situation...

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sorry your dumb.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought the question was basically "how do I copy a bunch of mp3s from my computer to my phone?" And the discussion started because Apple's answer is basically "don't do that any more, just use iTunes Match or Apple music or whatever and your music will magically appear from the cloud". We are in a transition period where Apple have decided that there is a new Right Way but lots of people have gotten into the habit of doing it the Wrong (old) Way. And also Apple's marketing always assumes that everyone is using their phone under ideal conditions and it isn't clear what should happen when conditions aren't ideal.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 4, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

withak posted:

I thought the question was basically "how do I copy a bunch of mp3s from my computer to my phone?" And the discussion started because Apple's answer is basically "don't do that any more, just use iTunes Match or Apple music or whatever and your music will magically appear from the cloud". We are in a transition period where Apple have decided that there is a new Right Way but lots of people have gotten into the habit of doing it the Wrong (old) Way.
The systems aren't interchangeable. You're more than welcome to manually copy your music over to your iPhone via drag and drop all you want, but you can't do this while also having iTunes Match enabled on your phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

A lot of people don't like to upload something from one device just to download it from another when you have a perfectly fine cord that bridges the foot distance between the two. It will never stop being a thing for some people, because internet access is fundamentally broken in many geographic locations and because some people just don't like adding what they view as unnecessary travel for their ones and zeros.

Well it's a good thing no one is required to sign up for iTunes Match or Apple Music. For people with poo poo internet at home or poo poo cellular coverage it would not be a good idea.

Kaizoku posted:

If only there was a way for users to learn about a service they might sign up

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The systems aren't interchangeable. You're more than welcome to manually copy your music over to your iPhone via drag and drop all you want, but you can't do this while also having iTunes Match enabled on your phone.

That isn't obvious though.

edit: FWIW, the closest you can get to doing it the old way is to make a playlist on your computer called "to download" and add the stuff that you want to copy, then go to your phone and hit the download button on the playlist (preferably on wifi). It might take a few tries to make it actually download everything.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Why does this restriction exist in the first place, seeing as how it's obviously confusing some (probably) significant portion of the user base?