Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm looking for an app that will assist me in making word association charts. There are several word association games, but I'm looking for something I can use while writing to draw comparisons and organize my thoughts. Is there anything like this available, possibly even as a web app? Ideally it would offer suggestions, and I could have multiple word bubbles at a time.

E: Something similar to http://www.humanbraincloud.com/#view I suppose.
Would mind mapping (well the general concept) match what you're looking for? Cause I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of apps that do that at least. (Or at least I've seen a few before)

baram. posted:

note: this is by the dev who took over ublock and instantly added a donation button and removed features, spurring the original dev to come back and fork off ublock origin to keep it how it was and just do bug fixes.
Heh I was gonna say "current dev" but wasn't sure of the history besides the original dev walking away. I remember looking a while back and finding forum posts announcing it where he sounded burned out and/or sick of users and transferring the project. I guess I looked a little after he left but before he came back with his own fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

pumpinglemma posted:

Are there any translation apps out there for iPad that will handle offline translation to and from Japanese? I've just wasted far too much time looking for one and I'm starting to think offline translation just isn't possible on iOS. (The main recommendation out there seems to be Jibbigo/Lonely Planet, which has been discontinued as far as I can tell. Google Translate only does offline translation on Android because gently caress you.)
If you're looking for an English<->Japanese dictionary then Imiwa is probably the single best dictionary app I have ever used. If it needs to translate full sentences with grammar etc then sorry, no idea. If you find one, please do share!

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I

japtor posted:

Would mind mapping (well the general concept) match what you're looking for? Cause I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of apps that do that at least. (Or at least I've seen a few before)

Mind mapping, thats what it's called! Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Do any of the apps link up with some kind of word association database so that I can choose a topic and the app will suggest connections to help with brainstorming?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

Mind mapping, thats what it's called! Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Do any of the apps link up with some kind of word association database so that I can choose a topic and the app will suggest connections to help with brainstorming?
No clue! It's been a few years since I've downloaded some, and the ones I have downloaded I can't remember their names. Searching for "mind map words" in the store (and "word association map") brought up this one from some random dev who may or may not be questionable:

https://appsto.re/us/05jvZ.i

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Apple Music is up, and I've messed around with it a bit. Right now it seems like the servers are getting hammered and a lot of stuff isn't showing up. For instance, when I go to an artist in my library, I don't get the "All/My Music" switch from the keynote. And Beats 1 Radio isn't loading. And no track lists from albums/playlists will load, although they will play if you just hit play album.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

Apple Music is up, and I've messed around with it a bit. Right now it seems like the servers are getting hammered and a lot of stuff isn't showing up. For instance, when I go to an artist in my library, I don't get the "All/My Music" switch from the keynote. And Beats 1 Radio isn't loading. And no track lists from albums/playlists will load, although they will play if you just hit play album.

Beats 1 goes live be supposedly in like 17 minutes.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Radio isn't set to go live until noon EST per some thing I read. Makes sense in that it gives folks enough time to get the update first.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beats Radio is already up, but it's just playing some ambient piano music. There was also a quick moment where you could hear people talking, asking if "everything was ready and alright?"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Time to try this out. Hopefully the whole thing doesn't crash.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

Beats Radio is already up, but it's just playing some ambient piano music. There was also a quick moment where you could hear people talking, asking if "everything was ready and alright?"

Funnily enough I was like.. "Oh this poo poo is broken!" because it was playing a Brian Eno track I had on my phone so I thought it reverted to playing my music instead of radio music....

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is the Beats Radio independent of Apple Music? I can listen (to the smooth ambiance right now) and I've yet to sign up for the music part. Plus it's on the radio tab so I have no idea.

Music for Airports station of the year.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh this song is terrible. not that great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

Oh this song is terrible. not that great.

You were right the first time. It seems like it fell out of 2005 when all those bands like The Hives and The Vines and whatever were super popular.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm still trying to figure out why "world wide" is such a big deal. Do people not realize internet radio is a thing and has been a thing for a while now?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

maduin posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why "world wide" is such a big deal. Do people not realize internet radio is a thing and has been a thing for a while now?

I'm not gonna hate Beats 1 yet... but you want a dope streaming station? Seattle's KEXP is the poo poo.

*musicmusicmusicmusic"B-B-B-B-B-Beats.... One-One-One! Worrrrrrrrrrrrldwiiiiiiiiiiiiiide! ALWAYS ON!"*musicmusicmusicmusic"

Are they kidding with this poo poo?

I'm starting to hate this poo poo. But then again I've hated radio for a while. I kinda hoped Apple would do something with a little more class re: Radio.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why are you listening to the radio poo poo? Load up a band you like and then play radio off them, you get similar artists. You get to the control the quality of music from there.

Hope you like good artists!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Feenix posted:

I'm starting to hate this poo poo. But then again I've hated radio for a while. I kinda hoped Apple would do something with a little more class re: Radio.

Zane Lowe is one DJ among many. And this... is Zane Lowe.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Vintersorg posted:

Why are you listening to the radio poo poo? Load up a band you like and then play radio off them, you get similar artists. You get to the control the quality of music from there.

I was just curious how it'd turn out. :)

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Getting an annoying "iCloud Music Library can't be enabled" message when I try to save an album for offline listening. Off to a great start here. Noticing some gaps in stuff Spotify doesn't have (the band Felt, the Entrance Band album I like) as well as some weird absences on Apple Music (Tortoise and stuff on Thrill Jockey records).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Really, really liking Apple Music.

Vintersorg posted:

It also does this in the My Music view if you pull up an album! Does seem a bit slow to load, but they're almost certainly being hammered right now.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Apparently you resolve the iCloud issue the same way a toddler plays Street Fighter; by pressing the same button over and over and hoping it works.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just dont like that when you do artist radio it only shows a single song coming up next with a ton of blank space underneath compared to Google Play which shows a big list. But as you said, maybe the servers are so hammered now its only allowing 1 preview.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe someone could make an Apple Music thread

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
In the meantime, how do you change the user in Apple Music? I selected the family plan, and my wife is in my iCloud family, but there's no way to select her on Apple Music as far as I can tell.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Apple Music discussion: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728704

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I need a Trakt.tv tracker app similar to SeriesGuide for Android. Does anyone have any suggestions? Seems most people use "iTV Shows" or "60hz" but nobody seems to be happy with any of them.

The developer of SeriesGuide says he won't make an iOS version, so I need suggestions so I don't spend $20 on apps that do the same thing and hate them all and myself.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Me and my gf share an itunes store account, does that mess anything up too much with Apple Music?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

chaosbreather posted:

Me and my gf share an itunes store account, does that mess anything up too much with Apple Music?

I can't really answer your question but have you looked into the family sharing options recently introduced? My wife and I used to share an account but recently started using the family sharing features and while having separate accounts we can still share apps and have separate options in music and things.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I can't really answer your question but have you looked into the family sharing options recently introduced? My wife and I used to share an account but recently started using the family sharing features and while having separate accounts we can still share apps and have separate options in music and things.

Yeah that's probably the direction we'll take it.

I am unsure whether I want to keep the exclusively iTunes account around as anything more than a media husk and just use my iCloud account going forward or keep dual-accounting on my end

On the one hand, clean break and neater account-wise. On the other, I hear that there are some apps that family sharing doesn't work with and like DLC and poo poo and it would keep all my purchases on the same account.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chaosbreather posted:

My wife and I share a store account, but have separate iCloud ids. I've never set up family sharing. Short version: Apple music seems to be tied to your iCloud account, not your store account. I'm not sure if this is new or not (I think it is), but her phone can't "see" my library in iTunes Match, but can see Purchased music.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My wife and I share a store account, but have separate iCloud ids. I've never set up family sharing. Short version: Apple music seems to be tied to your iCloud account, not your store account. I'm not sure if this is new or not (I think it is), but her phone can't "see" my library in iTunes Match, but can see Purchased music.

Oh really? That's weird, when I was going to sign up for it it prompted for my store account password. That would be amazing if that was the case though. Which account are you signed in on iTunes where you uploaded the library?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, I've had iTunes Match active since it became available, so I was logged in under the store account when it uploaded. Was also signed in under my store account (and my iCloud account) when I signed up for the Apple Music trial.

It could be that I screwed something up overnight, but currently she's definitely signed in under the store account (I logged her out then back in), and all it shows is purchased songs.

edit: maybe just forget what I wrote. Something's fishy. When you 'sign in' inside the Music app it assigns that login to your store account (that you can check from Settings), so I don't know.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 1, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Question Mark Mound posted:

If you're looking for an English<->Japanese dictionary then Imiwa is probably the single best dictionary app I have ever used. If it needs to translate full sentences with grammar etc then sorry, no idea. If you find one, please do share!
This looks great - thanks!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I need a Trakt.tv tracker app similar to SeriesGuide for Android. Does anyone have any suggestions? Seems most people use "iTV Shows" or "60hz" but nobody seems to be happy with any of them.

The developer of SeriesGuide says he won't make an iOS version, so I need suggestions so I don't spend $20 on apps that do the same thing and hate them all and myself.

I've tried them all and they all suck tbh.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have a separate iTunes account (tied to gmail address) from my iCloud account (where my email, cal, and iOS backups live).

My Apple Music is tied my iTunes account, not my iCloud account. Same as my iTunes Match account was.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah something's not right here. Ignore me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I have a separate iTunes account (tied to gmail address) from my iCloud account (where my email, cal, and iOS backups live).

My Apple Music is tied my iTunes account, not my iCloud account. Same as my iTunes Match account was.

Apple Music is tied to whichever Apple ID appears in Settings>iTunes & App Store.

You can have a separate one in iCloud I guess. This was kind of crappy for us because we were sharing an account for store purchases but family sharing iCloud stuff. So far I don't think it changes much by switching the account in that iTunes & App Store menu because we had set up family sharing, but I can see it becoming frustrating.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any decent irc app? Jail broken and have that tweak so it never closes etc

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
loving hell. the new update / new Music app has changed a bunch of my album covers. loving shite. anyone else experiencing this? is there a fix? I'm guessing subscribing to Apple music caused it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Any decent irc app? Jail broken and have that tweak so it never closes etc

Palaver is what I use. No complaints.