Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use Kodi on a Fire TV and shortcut to the Netflix app (or any other that is on the Fire TV) within Kodi and put it on my front page of my Kodi skin. . Once I exit Netflix it brings me right back to Kodi. Amazon content I haven't figured out how to get on my home screen of Kodi but I just voice search content that is on Amazon and I'm good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you dump the adb exes and kodi apk in your root c: drive sideloading can be done in about 15 seconds as an experienced user. I was able to sideload it on my Fire TV with about six beers in me and it took me less than 3 minutes once I downloaded the adb software and figured out all that windows environmental path crap is purely optional. The FireTV really is the premier kodi experience, if you plan on using it with a TV in your living room I can't think of a better option and I've been exceedingly happy with my purchase for almost a year now with zero complaints.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

I've got 2 firetvs, a firetv stick, an atom box and now an nvidia shield android TV. Of them, the shield has the most balls, but also costs twice what a firetv does. The firetv does run kodi pretty well compared to the stick, which is a little lacking in horsepower.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like Fire TV is probably the way to go at this point.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Ive swapped out plex for Emby... Using the Kodi Emby video plugin, how to I make it populate my movies and tv shows main menu items ? I don't want to browse to Videos --> Video Addons every time.

Do I need a skin Installed ? This is on a fresh kodi install on my Nexus Player

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Once youve installed the add on and let it scan, it should populate your moviea and tv show lists. Mine did. Im using Mimic skin.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

jonathan posted:

So Ive swapped out plex for Emby... Using the Kodi Emby video plugin, how to I make it populate my movies and tv shows main menu items ? I don't want to browse to Videos --> Video Addons every time.

Are your videos sorted into movies and shows within Emby? It should just work within Kodi.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I've not used Emby, but with certain skins you can add video add-one right to the main screen. I'm pretty sure Confluence supports this, but I know Eminence does, and does it better than anything else I've tried.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I just set up Emby/Kodi last night. Install the Emby add on, then exit Kodi completely. When you open it back up, it'll launch a wizard to get you set up, and then populate your library just like native content.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

G-Prime posted:

I just set up Emby/Kodi last night. Install the Emby add on, then exit Kodi completely. When you open it back up, it'll launch a wizard to get you set up, and then populate your library just like native content.

Make sure you use beta Emby repo so its comptabile with the nexus player (isengard beta 2).

EC posted:

I've not used Emby, but with certain skins you can add video add-one right to the main screen. I'm pretty sure Confluence supports this, but I know Eminence does, and does it better than anything else I've tried.

Since emby writes directly to the xbmc database now, you can use any skin you would like. It's pretty drat slick.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Using Emby looks just like a normal library to me, you did something wrong. Multiple skins, metropolis, aoen, etc.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 26, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Am I the only person whose shows keep getting marked unwatched in Emby? I don't know how I could have set something up incorrectly.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Haven't seen that, no. Mine didn't import watched status for tv correctly when I set it up initially, not sure if that's because I set it up on a htpc without the watched status synced (bedroom htpc that I just play random stuff on while going to sleep, never cared enough to sync watched flags to it) or not, but once I fixed it it's been fine. Movies were okay.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else get some things "stuck" in Recently Added? I have a few things where timestamp on the file was messed up so I corrected it and did a fresh clean/scan of the library but they persist at the top of recently added items. It's kind of driving me nuts.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Why did the Kodi team decide to put Isengard Beta 2 as their grans arrival to the play store? It's giving my quite a bit of trouble with some things and some add-ons are failing to update presumably due to incompatibility issues.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I decided to try to give Emby a shot to manage my watched tags and other nonsense. So far so good but a few oddities.

My videos are playing as "Direct Stream", is this the same as Direct Play? I'm running Kodi with the Emby addon on a FireTV so I don't want transcoding or etc on the server when it isn't necessary.

For anyone wondering if you can preserve your existing Kodi library/watched tags while merging with Emby, the answer seems to be no. I had to trash everything and start over.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Why did the Kodi team decide to put Isengard Beta 2 as their grans arrival to the play store? It's giving my quite a bit of trouble with some things and some add-ons are failing to update presumably due to incompatibility issues.

Because apparently the isengard beta on android is much more functional than the helix stable or whatever.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Am I the only person whose shows keep getting marked unwatched in Emby? I don't know how I could have set something up incorrectly.
I have that exact same problem as well. Really frustrating.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So far its been fine for me, everything is marked correctly. I notice in the log file it does a mini update every time there is a change even.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm working on migrating my files from my HTPC to a home server. Will changing the source of the files wipe my library? I'm concerned about keeping my movie poster selections and watch status.

Is there a way to export a file with the watch status in case things go bad so I can manually redo it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Uthor posted:

I'm working on migrating my files from my HTPC to a home server. Will changing the source of the files wipe my library? I'm concerned about keeping my movie poster selections and watch status.

Is there a way to export a file with the watch status in case things go bad so I can manually redo it?

I recently did this with Trakt. Installed the add-on, synced all the movies/tv shows, wiped (what was) XBMC, installed Kodi, added all my files back, installed Trakt, synced, and it was done.

If you take a look through the program add-ons I think there's one that specifically handles watched tags as well. I remember using it awhile ago without issues.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Would there be a reason why like 1 folder doesn't get scanned in Kodi? Like I can play the files through the file manager (on a firetv) but they don't come up on the tv tab, but the folder does.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TLG James posted:

Would there be a reason why like 1 folder doesn't get scanned in Kodi? Like I can play the files through the file manager (on a firetv) but they don't come up on the tv tab, but the folder does.

File name. Try renaming them and rescan.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I gave up on Emby as a backend for Kodi clients after a couple days because of this issue. That and I didn't really see the point for me.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
I'm using Emby as a basic parental filter. Kodi has add-ons to do it, but they still show the full library, including fanart. By using Emby as the library source, the objectionable stuff doesn't even show up on the device that only my son uses. I just set a max rating, and then did some light tagging manually to filter stuff we don't want him to watch that's arguably appropriate.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

G-Prime posted:

I'm using Emby as a basic parental filter. Kodi has add-ons to do it, but they still show the full library, including fanart. By using Emby as the library source, the objectionable stuff doesn't even show up on the device that only my son uses. I just set a max rating, and then did some light tagging manually to filter stuff we don't want him to watch that's arguably appropriate.

This is a good idea and something I always struggle with.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
It works pretty fantastically, to be honest. We're still working out a few small things (mostly just getting it through his head to not hit the home button on the remote for the Fire TV Stick, and occasionally finding something that slipped through the filter, because there's no way to set default tagging on everything that enters the library). I made him a personal user account on the Emby server, hid it from the login screen, and set it to not have a password. When Kodi starts up, it automatically connects, fetches the complete library, adds anything new it needs to, and removes anything that's gone. Just for example, we decided he's too old for Team Umizoomi (which he loves, but isn't challenged by at all, because he's 6), so I added a custom tag for stuff that is too easy, and added that and a couple other things, and on the next sync it was gone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Threep posted:

I have that exact same problem as well. Really frustrating.

Thermopyle posted:

I gave up on Emby as a backend for Kodi clients after a couple days because of this issue. That and I didn't really see the point for me.

It might be a little early to tell yet, but I may have fixed the issue.

Emby Server -> Metadata -> NFO -> Sync user watch data to nfo's for:

It will probably to set to your Emby profile name, but setting it to blank should fix it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody here use SickRage? It's supposed to be a superior forked version of SickBeard, but for some reason it won't recognized mapped network drives when I attempt to add an existing folder. Any ideas?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Use Sonarr.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolfbiker posted:

Use Sonarr.

Yeah I dropped SB a week or two ago and I don't know why it took me so long. Sonarr is great.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TLG James posted:

I had this problem using OpenElec, I deleted the entire source and rescanning it in from scratch and it worked fine. If the files hosted on Linux it may be a problem with permissions or naming.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

Use Sonarr.

It has the same exact issue - doesn't show networked drives when I attempt to add an existing folder.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It has the same exact issue - doesn't show networked drives when I attempt to add an existing folder.

Are they actually connected? Windows likes to tune out network connections for absolutely no reason.

Edit: is there really no way to update season art in Kodi without refreshing the whole drat thing?

EC fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 6, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know, certainly is making my life easier. I got rid of an ancient WDTV in the basement last night, setup a new FireTV and had Kodi running with Emby on it in 5 minutes with all of my tags/etc preserved. I have a similar setup upstairs in the living room. I'm sure one day Kodi will get there but right now I don't want to bother with UPNP and its nice having that all centralized between various devices and apps. Setup user accounts for friends and family already, deleted Plex on their Rokus and pointed them at Emby instead. No issues so far and I'm loving the admin side of things, great feature set there. The metadata handling is especially nice.

Plex I found was easier on the CPU with transcoding, I'm not sure what ffmpeg settings Emby uses yet, I will have to dive into that more since it seemed really high last I checked.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I know everyone hates the M8 android boxes I raved about last year but I'm still going strong with them and recently decided to experiment with the unofficial OpenElec build made for them. Works great and very smooth and snappy and no fiddiling with all the android stuff. I happen to like having Android on my TV but it's a great alternative for those who don't care for anything else other than Kodi. Also I dig the SFTP/SSH access to the Kodi config.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know, certainly is making my life easier. I got rid of an ancient WDTV in the basement last night, setup a new FireTV and had Kodi running with Emby on it in 5 minutes with all of my tags/etc preserved. I have a similar setup upstairs in the living room. I'm sure one day Kodi will get there but right now I don't want to bother with UPNP and its nice having that all centralized between various devices and apps. Setup user accounts for friends and family already, deleted Plex on their Rokus and pointed them at Emby instead. No issues so far and I'm loving the admin side of things, great feature set there. The metadata handling is especially nice.

Plex I found was easier on the CPU with transcoding, I'm not sure what ffmpeg settings Emby uses yet, I will have to dive into that more since it seemed really high last I checked.

Ok what's the trick to get Emby to scrape all your poo poo correctly? I can point Plex at my TV Shows and Movies and it got something like 98% correct, Kodi hits 100% correct first try. Emby, took like 5hrs to scrape 500 films, and probably only got about 75% correct. Don't all these programs use a similar algorithm for this sort of stuff? Am i missing some magic setting in Emby?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
By default it uses a different scraper but that's been fine with me. I have no idea how you named your stuff. I use Name (Year) and sometimes append quality/res to the title and I only made 5 corrections out of 700 films.

Go to the Server Admin panel and click Metadata then click Services. Try bumping up Themoviedb instead of the open movie DB then slick Save. That's the one that Kodi/Plex use by default I believe. You might have to do a full refresh after that, not sure as I didn't have to do that since it got most of mine right on the default.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I very specifically put "for me" in there!

I already have everything centralized with MySQL. If you're not using MySQL then I'm sure Emby is a lot more attractive to you. For me there's no upside and there's the very significant downside of all my metadata being dependent upon yet another party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Thermopyle posted:

I very specifically put "for me" in there!

I already have everything centralized with MySQL. If you're not using MySQL then I'm sure Emby is a lot more attractive to you. For me there's no upside and there's the very significant downside of all my metadata being dependent upon yet another party.

All of the above is valid. In fact, honestly, once I get my NAS up and running, I'm probably going to migrate over to MySQL for the library for everything except my son's Kodi instance and keep that on Emby specifically (unless Kodi's parental controls improve). I know running both in tandem is going to be a pain in my rear end overall, but while he's this young, I value that functionality. The shared MySQL setup is so drat nice, though. Being able to stop a video in our basement and pick right back up in the bedroom at the exact moment we stopped is really cool for the wife and I.