Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Match was also a nuisance if you had more than 25k sings in your library too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know it doesn't help now, but it's being expanded to 100K when iOS 9 drops.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, I knew about that limit in Match, but I assumed it would only apply to the equivalent functionality in Apple Music (the music locker stuff). This is really dumb. If I can't add things to My Music I may as well be paying $10/month for YouTube. Basically they don't want your business if you have a big music collection that you mostly bought from somewhere else?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Yeah, I knew about that limit in Match, but I assumed it would only apply to the equivalent functionality in Apple Music (the music locker stuff). This is really dumb. If I can't add things to My Music I may as well be paying $10/month for YouTube. Basically they don't want your business if you have a big music collection that you mostly bought from somewhere else?

Yes, that's it. Apple is clearly interested in turning away customers as opposed to it being issues that surround the release of a 1.0 product.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You got annoyed that she played one of the quintessential 90s dance anthems instead of a, admittedly fun, pop track?

I was only annoyed because she had poo poo taste in music as a whole

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Update the remote app already. Holy poo poo.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Is there a .pls file or web link where I can listen to the beats1 radio? Or do I have to install itunes?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tokit posted:

Is there a .pls file or web link where I can listen to the beats1 radio? Or do I have to install itunes?

Apple just shut down the unencrypted link and all related ones so it has to e through iTunes or the Music app

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

noirstronaut posted:

Apple just shut down the unencrypted link and all related ones so it has to e through iTunes or the Music app

Yeah, I just found that but was hoping there was something else. Oh well.

edit: http://irumble.com/beats1/replay/ if anybody wants, they recorded a few hours of it on the first day.

Tokit fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 4, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If I'm listening to a radio station or a For You playlist, why do I have the option of adding the songs to My Music if they're already in my library? Shouldn't it pop up Remove From My Music if it's already there?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bass Bottles posted:

It sucks that they basically stripped iTunes Radio down

There's still a lot of playlists out on there, but finding them is hard. For example, the iTunes Top 50 playlists are listed on my iPhone, but if I search for them all I can get is the Dance one.

EDIT: Well then...

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Is there a good way to follow what shows are coming up on Beats 1 without following the Twitter or Tumblr, both of which seem to have not mentioned things like the WRTJ show I missed tonight, and which send out noise I don't care about like "some artist released an exclusive demo track on Apple Music"?

I could just check the site itself often, but I'd rather have show info delivered so I don't have to think about it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is it just me, or does Apple Music not have the theme to Space Jam? I even looked up Quad City DJ's, and nothing.

This is a serious question, btw.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't think it's on Amazon MP3 either but this wouldn't be the first time I've been fooled by Amazon's awesome search.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's this that says it's by Graham Blvd and sounds right? Might be some weird cover or remix.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Craptacular! posted:

Is it just me, or does Apple Music not have the theme to Space Jam? I even looked up Quad City DJ's, and nothing.

This is a serious question, btw.

It's not on any streaming service. You're not the only one who has looked :(

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

been using iTunes 12.2 for mac and it's still kind of slow but at least doesn't feel quite as ropey as the windows version. seems to be missing some of the more bizarre apple music related idiosyncrasies too that are present on the windows version, like the 'love' button in the now playing bar taking like 10 seconds to respond, or songs in playlists not updating with the 'loved' icon until you hover over them

not that 'iTunes for mac is usable, iTunes for windows is loving dreck' is at all noteworthy or anything

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Thegrul posted:

The one thing Apple music absolutely can't compete with Spotify on is buffering time. Spotify is instant. It feels local. But Apple music is like all the other services out there where it takes a couple seconds (at peak times) for a track to start. I'm also pretty sure i read somewhere that Spotifys target is <300 ms to playback start or something.

yeah this is true. occasionally it's near-instant (this is unrelated to whether I have the songs in my library) and occasionally it takes like a strangely long time to buffer. is usually somewhere inbetween, def less consistent than spotify. the absolute nadir of this for me was always rdio which seemed like spotify with a marginally more agreeable ui, palpably less of a selection and a pervasive weird unresponsiveness. no idea why people kept recommending it so highly. maybe spotify has a ton of european/uk servers so my experience is generally more lag-free?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The only time it buffers for me is when it's the first track I'm playing and it's not stored locally. Otherwise, it never buffers since it usually pre-caches the next song.

I guess if you're weird and manually pick tracks to listen to every time it's a pain, but otherwise it's not that bad :shrug:

The big annoyance I have is sometimes having your connection state changed (e.g. going from no connection to 3G) will make the music pause itself for some ungodly reason.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

the absolute nadir of this for me was always rdio which seemed like spotify with a marginally more agreeable ui, palpably less of a selection and a pervasive weird unresponsiveness. no idea why people kept recommending it so highly.

People liked Rdio because they could implement technology well, which is something that can't be said of Spotify. Off the top of my head, Rdio's version of Connect and their library function were in place long, long before Spotify got these things together.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So can you not have a playlist bar on the side? That would make adding songs to playlists so much easier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

robodex posted:

The big annoyance I have is sometimes having your connection state changed (e.g. going from no connection to 3G) will make the music pause itself for some ungodly reason.

For streaming, it's most likely caused by insufficient advance buffering and the phone trying to hold onto a WiFi signal when it really should give up and transition over to 3G/LTE. All the sessions need to be torn down and recreated when moving.

If you're playing local stuff and this happens, that sounds like a bug.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

For streaming, it's most likely caused by insufficient advance buffering and the phone trying to hold onto a WiFi signal when it really should give up and transition over to 3G/LTE. All the sessions need to be torn down and recreated when moving.

If you're playing local stuff and this happens, that sounds like a bug.

It happens with local stuff, as well. It's really annoying.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So have they done away with library sharing? I mean the thing so that theoretically you can access your desktop computer's itunes library from an ios device if they're on the same wifi network. I can't find the option anywhere in the new ios music. (Not that it makes much difference since the poo poo never worked for me anyway, but I'm wondering if it's actually officially dead and buried)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

super fart shooter posted:

So have they done away with library sharing? I mean the thing so that theoretically you can access your desktop computer's itunes library from an ios device if they're on the same wifi network. I can't find the option anywhere in the new ios music. (Not that it makes much difference since the poo poo never worked for me anyway, but I'm wondering if it's actually officially dead and buried)

This is apparently a thing Apple knows about. I'm not sure if it's a music rights thing because of the streaming or a technical thing they couldn't get ready in time. iOS 8.4.1 perhaps?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
loving hell. the new update / new Music app has changed a bunch of my album covers. loving shite. anyone else experiencing this? is there a fix? I'm guessing subscribing to Apple music caused it...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

loving hell. the new update / new Music app has changed a bunch of my album covers. loving shite. anyone else experiencing this? is there a fix? I'm guessing subscribing to Apple music caused it...
Turn off iCloud Music Library.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah I've done that, cheers. will need to go and change these album covers now. loving Apple

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Well I couldn't see any music in albums so I logged off and back in now I have nothing at all. :thumbsup:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
do any of us have anything, really

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Turn off iCloud Music Library.

I had around 10 or so albums where the artwork changed and I found I could get info for the album and drag new artwork over the top to replace it back. It updated across all devices.

May not be that feasible if you have hundreds of swap outs though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man, Jayden smith was hosting this morning and switching from Drake songs and presidential illuminati conspiracies was quite jarring.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dr. Dre's show is on right now if anyone cares.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FCKGW posted:

Oh man, Jayden smith was hosting this morning and switching from Drake songs and presidential illuminati conspiracies was quite jarring.

Jaden had the third best show behind Dre and Q-Tip

e: Speaking of Jaden, why are some songs greyed out like this?

e2: Does anyone have a recording of the St. Vincent show?

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 5, 2015

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

noirstronaut posted:

Jaden had the third best show behind Dre and Q-Tip

e: Speaking of Jaden, why are some songs greyed out like this?

I've noticed some hit songs on albums aren't available like Sour Times on Portishead's Dummy album. I think they're just shown for completeness but they aren't available I guess.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

This might be it.

http://just-the-same-but-bound2.tumblr.com/post/122910776056/each-week-people-write-in-to-request-a-mixtape-to

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ah, so close! I'm looking for essentially this + the music. I need to find some super fan who recorded the whole thing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

SimpleCoax posted:

I've noticed some hit songs on albums aren't available like Sour Times on Portishead's Dummy album. I think they're just shown for completeness but they aren't available I guess.

That was on Spotify too. It's really stupid.

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010
Has anybody else had trouble adding music from AM to their libraries? This function was working fine for me until this afternoon when a bunch of the music that I had added today disappeared and I wasn't able to add anything else. I'm getting that "cloud with a lightning bolt" symbol in the top left as well, even though my connection is fine. I tried logging out and in and then when I tried to add music again it gave me the option of uploading everything to iCloud which seems a bit pointless. It's taking forever and I'll be pissed if this doesn't solve the issue; has anybody had any experience with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SimpleCoax posted:

I just searched for Portishead, clicked Dummy and am listening to Sour Times as I type.

Great band. Great album. Sucks Roseland was shot on goddamned videotape.

E: just for clarification as this might be a worldwide rights thing - I'm on my UK account but am in the US at the moment.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 5, 2015

• Locked thread