Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Even back when I was an active fan of NC and co the idea of the movies was baffling to me and to this day the only part of any of them I have seen is the return of... Kiwi anime guy whose name I don't remember in SK. What the hell are they even about? Like Kickassia is... a bunch of reviewer characters invade a microstate or something? Why? Is that funny?

That they all also apparently involved knives being drawn doesn't shock me considering as far back as Kickassia I remember the first bits of Spoony's long, involved breakdown leaking out.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So I had decided to stop posting my new Sonichu reviews to this thread, since they usually cause Chris-Chan derails, and they're weekly anyway; but this one is literally about women taking nudes to protest for "women's rights", and winds up involving transgender issues. It's just so comically internet_critic_thread_derail.avi that I can't not post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejHkv_ANAA

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dreamcatcher is my favorite bad Stephen King adaptation.

Rodyle posted:

Even back when I was an active fan of NC and co the idea of the movies was baffling to me and to this day the only part of any of them I have seen is the return of... Kiwi anime guy whose name I don't remember in SK. What the hell are they even about? Like Kickassia is... a bunch of reviewer characters invade a microstate or something? Why? Is that funny?

There is humor that could be wrung out of nerds invading a microstate.

It just happened that Doug Walker was not the man to do it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Miss Wallace posted:

Several people were eaten by time or stabbed to death.
People die in stories, you can't make things bleak and gloomy every time there isn't an everyone lives ending.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There is humor that could be wrung out of nerds invading a microstate.

It just happened that Doug Walker was not the man to do it.
Those furry cyborgs were pretty funny using that concept.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 4, 2015

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
He said a few times that he didn't know what to do for the anniversary and Michaud called him up and told him that the plot should be invading Molassia. Grain of salt of course, but it would make sense.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Kickassia has a good premise, and it has precedent in reality. Look up the history of Sealand.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Tracula posted:

Not to be obsessive or whatever but anyone wanna take bets on what year Spoony's next real actual proper review is gonna come out?

I reckon he's going for the anniversary of his last video game review - August 2014.

Spoony's Patreon is down to $3,500. He seems to be losing $200 per month as donors realise that however warmly they feel about videos he did over 5 years ago he is never willingly going to turn out new reviews if he can get Patreon money.

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! And I definitely want to do The Langoliers (lord help me).

Please do! It is a really dumb story, creaky, illogical and glacial in pace but it has memorable characters, some character story arcs and some great cheesy effects. BTW, Nick's accent is really strange. It wanders a bit but I was under the impression that actor is actually English which is why I was confused.

Miss Wallace posted:

I really don't think The Langoliers qualified as atmospheric or creepy at any point. Literally Steven Pinchot is trying to eat the camera in every scene and there's a "spooky" speech about how the langoliers sound like crispy cereal in milk.

The flash of Toomey seeing characters as monsters is mildly creepy but yes, that's as far as it goes.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

WickedHate posted:

People die in stories, you can't make things bleak and gloomy every time there isn't an everyone lives ending.
Fair enough. :D I just don't think I'd be jumping up in the air, freeze frame style after that.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The flash of Toomey seeing characters as monsters is mildly creepy but yes, that's as far as it goes.
Yeah, that was some creepy imagery, I'll admit. Entirely too short and disjointed from the rest of it though.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
(Disclaimer: I've only seen the NC review of The Langoliers. I'm sorry.)

What always gets me is that weird chrome shine that's in so much lower-budget CGI in the 90's. The langoliers had it, Reptile had it in the Mortal Kombat movie, Ivan Ooze and the Megazord had it in the Power Rangers movie.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Maybe it was an early attempt at "realistic" texture? It always looks awful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dean Stockwell has been in so much garbage over the years. It makes me sad. He was always right on the edge of becoming a big deal, first as a kid and then in the 60s. All his buddies got super-famous and he just kind of circled the edges of everything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Gladney posted:

Dean Stockwell has been in so much garbage over the years. It makes me sad. He was always right on the edge of becoming a big deal, first as a kid and then in the 60s. All his buddies got super-famous and he just kind of circled the edges of everything.

Yeah but because of that he shows up in stupid scifi shows that I love and makes them more awesome, so I can't be really sorry. God bless that man.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

So I had decided to stop posting my new Sonichu reviews to this thread, since they usually cause Chris-Chan derails, and they're weekly anyway; but this one is literally about women taking nudes to protest for "women's rights", and winds up involving transgender issues. It's just so comically internet_critic_thread_derail.avi that I can't not post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejHkv_ANAA

I did wanna ask, what's your plan after you finish Sonichu? Whats the kind of stuff that you wanna review?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know, I think he's had several big successes in his life, starting with the films he was in as a child actor, then getting nominated for an Academy Award for Married to the Mob, then Quantum Leap, then Battlestar Galactica. Btw, if you haven't seen him in Galactica, he gives one of his best performances. There's this speech he gives about being angry at his creator that gives me chills. So good.

That being said, I love finding some of the trash he's been in. There's two I've seen recently that I highly recommend:

Banzai Runner: Late 80s, Stockwell is a cop who plays by his own rules to catch runners. Fast cars, Billy Drago, random trumpet scene!

Sinbad: Battle of the Dark Nights: Holy shinola was this a masterful tragedy. The film clearly had to stop shooting partway through, so half of it is pieced together in another country with stunt doubles. Dean Stockwell plays Bophisto, cruelest of all wizards, in this janky wig and with a constant bloody nose. That's not the worst of it though, because he plays it like a creepy old witch and they pitch his voice up. Hard to find, but oh so worth it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I did wanna ask, what's your plan after you finish Sonichu? Whats the kind of stuff that you wanna review?

Bad movies, mostly. My biggest influence over the last couple years has been Nathan Rabin's My Year of Flops, and I want to do something in that vein: analyze why something failed critically and/or commercially, while still being funny.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miss Wallace posted:

I don't know, I think he's had several big successes in his life, starting with the films he was in as a child actor, then getting nominated for an Academy Award for Married to the Mob, then Quantum Leap, then Battlestar Galactica. Btw, if you haven't seen him in Galactica, he gives one of his best performances. There's this speech he gives about being angry at his creator that gives me chills. So good.

For a second I thought you meant the original Galactica and was wondering if I skipped an episode. He was also in Dune, but I guess it was his bad luck to be cast in a film next to that Titan of acting Sting. :negative:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

He was also in McHale's Navy with Tom Arnold, which we all know to be a cinematic classic.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

WickedHate posted:

Those furry cyborgs were pretty funny using that concept.

For those of you who haven't heard of the furry cyborgs, they're Malatora. Most of their site has gone private, so try listening to the F Plus episode for the highlights.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Miss Wallace posted:

He was also in McHale's Navy with Tom Arnold, which we all know to be a cinematic classic.

Why did you need to remind me that was a thing? Bruce Campbell, why?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

echopapa posted:

For those of you who haven't heard of the furry cyborgs, they're Malatora. Most of their site has gone private, so try listening to the F Plus episode for the highlights.

Oh yeah. I just adored what goons had done with their mock thread. It was like alchemical gold from that stale turd. Oh and the best part from that enjoyable mock thread, aside from the fact that other goons outdid them both in art, science, engineering, biology and writing by leaps and bounds purely out of mockery, disgust and spite. If look at the bottom, the site actually is pretty much discontinued.

This website was last modified on December 11, 2014

How appropriate.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

WickedHate posted:

... one of them was a blind child who slowly bled out in their arms.

Well, that and they learned that all of time is constantly DEVOURED BY MONSTERS. That's some Cthulu-level crazy right there.

Not "WOO! We just graduated high school in an 80s movie YAYYYYY!"

... that said, that was a pretty awful child actor, so a celebration was likely in order for her biting the dust...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I took it mostly as euphoria over succeeding at all. It was only minutes afterwards. If you survived something like that and your big gambit actually worked, you'd be pretty cheery too. They were all strangers up till that point anyway. I'm not saying they should have just forgot the people who died and be happy they made it out themselves, but within the span of time the ending showed, it's not unreasonable to be freaking out you made it through and escaped the monsters with at least some others still alive too.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Testekill posted:

That seems to be how a lot of Steven King adaptions come off, atmospheric and creepy before building to an unsatisfying climax.

They're just being true to the source material.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why did you need to remind me that was a thing? Bruce Campbell, why?

If you're playing the Kevin Bacon game from memory only, this movie is critical for linking the Phil Silvers/Cid Caeser/Milton Berle block to the modern era. Borgnine gets you into everything from the Dirty Dozen, Spongebob, and, most importantly, the stupid-cameo-filled 1985 made-for-TV Alice in Wonderland which, if you had bothered to memorize it, is BASICALLY cheating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paladin posted:

If you're playing the Kevin Bacon game from memory only, this movie is critical for linking the Phil Silvers/Cid Caeser/Milton Berle block to the modern era. Borgnine gets you into everything from the Dirty Dozen, Spongebob, and, most importantly, the stupid-cameo-filled 1985 made-for-TV Alice in Wonderland which, if you had bothered to memorize it, is BASICALLY cheating.

My go to guy is Clint Howard and bit actors from Star Trek whenever I play the Kevin Bacon Game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

Btw, if you haven't seen him in Galactica, he gives one of his best performances. There's this speech he gives about being angry at his creator that gives me chills. So good.

His rant against the limitations of physical existence was so good they ended the series on it. Here's the audio-only version of it for those interested.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

His rant against the limitations of physical existence was so good they ended the series on it. Here's the audio-only version of it for those interested.

drat. I haven't even watched the series, and what I've heard it that many parts kind of waste your time, but it would be worth it just to get the buildup to that speech.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

OctoberCountry posted:

They're just being true to the source material.

Sad but true. There is a whole thread peopled by King fans in The Book Barn where we act as a support group for posters disappointed by the whole last thirds of every book published since the 1970s/since King dried out/since King's car accident* (delete as applicable).

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

emeriin posted:

He said a few times that he didn't know what to do for the anniversary and Michaud called him up and told him that the plot should be invading Molassia. Grain of salt of course, but it would make sense.

Didn't LordKat (back before his issues) say something about the Molassia guy actually contacting Channel Awesome? I could be mistaken, since it was awhile ago, but I think he mentioned it in one of the commentary tracks.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Annointed posted:

drat. I haven't even watched the series, and what I've heard it that many parts kind of waste your time, but it would be worth it just to get the buildup to that speech.

I literally have zero interest in Battlestar Galactica, but I know what happens, so I only watched Dean Stockwell's parts. Just as much enjoyment, less of the boring bullshit!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

I literally have zero interest in Battlestar Galactica, but I know what happens, so I only watched Dean Stockwell's parts. Just as much enjoyment, less of the boring bullshit!

The miniseries was good, season 1 was great, season 2 was AMAZING, and then everything that followed was the writers desperately flailing about to try and salvage the show after the big cleaver twist they ended the second season on actually wound up breaking it irreparably.

Sadly, 90% of Dean Stockwell's scenes come during the show's decline into "gently caress it, I guess Literally God did it" territory. But he was never not incredible while on the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

The miniseries was good, season 1 was great, season 2 was AMAZING, and then everything that followed was the writers desperately flailing about to try and salvage the show after the big cleaver twist they ended the second season on wound up breaking it irreparably.

Sadly, 90% of Dean Stockwell's scenes come during the show's decline into "gently caress it, I guess Literally God did it" territory. But he was never not incredible while on the show.

Yeah, the first two seasons are fantastic and well worth watching, but after that the wheels fall off and send the show right off a cliff. The only real bad thing you can say about them is the Pegasus' CIC is a really cheap and tiny set compared to the "outdated" Galactica's. Granted it's apparently salvaged from a failed Lost in Space pilot, but still. Something I loved with the show was they actually had a large set of regular extras instead of just Tech Guy C for bit moments too. If you see some guy working on or flying Vipers in the background, chances are you'll consistently see him there a few times.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So my making a video which addresses women's rights and transgender issues has... not gone over great with certain of my fans.

I cannot decide which part of this image is the worst. The unformatted textwall? The unironic recommendation of A Voice for Men? "Fraudulent Frequency"? Or the 12 upvotes?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The random Gurren Lagann recommendation is probably what got all the upvotes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DStecks posted:

So my making a video which addresses women's rights and transgender issues has... not gone over great with certain of my fans.

I cannot decide which part of this image is the worst. The unformatted textwall? The unironic recommendation of A Voice for Men? "Fraudulent Frequency"? Or the 12 upvotes?

I'm stopping this before it even starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I feel like Dstecks do reviews shows engineered to derail this thread. (we still love you)

that post have like 3 big derail subjects (MRA, antia/goobergalf, anime) the only one missing is Mr. Planket.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 6, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cyron posted:

I feel like Dstecks do reviews shows engineered to derail this thread. (we still love you)

Someday, a studio will make a movie/tv show/book/comic about Gamer Gate, DStecks will review it, and everyone in the thread will be permabanned just to make sure.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I am truly sorry for that, there's just nobody else I can discuss it with. loving actual self-identifying MRAs have come out of the woodwork like so many cockroaches; and everyone I know in real life has no clue what the gently caress anything I just said means, and the other place where I can discuss my videos... let's just say they don't have the same views on MRAs that goons do. :smith:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Beefstew posted:

Speaking of this. Since the Ishtar trailer is technically in the latest Best of The Worst, does that mean we can't talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

Tell him about how the founder of the men's rights movement has openly stated he does not give a gently caress about combatting any of that.

• Locked thread