Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Flesh Forge posted:

This sounds like a shaggy dog story but this is literally what Everquest was.

Yeah EQ was unironically complete poo poo and the only reason it was so popular was that it was a fuckton of peoples' first MMO (I know I, personally, didn't know what the gently caress a MUD was until way after EQ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but were one of those reagents a coffin and didn't it take up an entire bag slot?

Indeed it did. And that was for the original, level 39 version of the spell that's been in since vanilla. They later added one that had a stackable reagent, but before then, necros were lugging a full size coffin for the gently caress of it.

onesixtwo posted:

Everquest was awesome.

My 56k modem once disconnected while I was zoning into the ocean zone on a boat. When I came back, the boat was gone and I was naked on my bind point. It took me a good five hours to swim to the bottom of the ocean to find my body, drag it to shore, and get a return boat out.

Sometimes you could log in, take 2 hours to find a group without knowing the pubbies you recruited are pants on head retarded. You spend an hour crawling through the dungeon to break into your camp. On your first pull, the puller grabs too many, someone goes linkdead. You all die, corpses now in the bottom of the zone. You lost 8 hours of XP grinding in a single pull, and now need to crawl back to your corpse naked or have someone assist with clearing for you and dragging back.

You've now played for 5 hours, and have lost experience. Your entire group rage quits except the worst people.

We kept a waiting list for camps on my server. This waiting list was passed from group leader to group leader. You had to get yourself on the list (for popular camps) days in advanced because, yes, people waited that long for a chance to spend 12+ hours in a single room killing the same rotating spawns in the same order.

If you joined a group in a high-level camp, you were expected to be around for AT LEAST four hours. Anything less and you would never get a group with those same people unless they were friends. Often times camps would set a minimum 8 hours commitment.

After 8+ hours of sitting in a single camp, you might have seen the named NPC spawn once. He probably drops his trash loot. When he finally spawns and drops the good item, someone ninja loots it and quits immediately.

My paladin had max swimming very early on because I was always dumped off the boat. EverQuest had skills for EVERYTHING, and if you had low swimming your rear end was slow and useless in the water. I think it drained stamina quicker too the worse you were at it.

Every spell school had a skill. You could cast a healing spell and have it fail because you hadn't raised the school enough. Getting hit by enemies could also move you backwards; this meant if you got agro while casting, an enemy could hit you and knock you back and gently caress up your spell.

For its time, with nothing else out, it was loving amazing. Huge world, 3D first person combat, basically D&D the video game, relentless enemies that chased you across the world and could shove you around if they hit hard enough. By modern standards it's a lovely game but man, back then, being able to actually pull and handle fights was amazing. There weren't very many gimmicks back then, if I remember; everything was pretty much a straight up tank and spank with DPS going nuts, healers setting up a Complete Heal rotation so there was always a heal flying at a good time, and at one point the developers realized sitting and staring at your spellbook to get your mana back was a loving bore so they added a goddamned Tetris minigame using your spell icons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFeSnvYXFU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

John Dyne posted:

and at one point the developers realized sitting and staring at your spellbook to get your mana back was a loving bore so they added a goddamned Tetris minigame using your spell icons.

I played a Cleric. 80%+ of my time in game was literally me staring at spellbook, watching healthbars on the side, popping out to heal, then back to spellbook.

gently caress that poo poo.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

WarLocke posted:

I played a Cleric. 80%+ of my time in game was literally me staring at spellbook, watching healthbars on the side, popping out to heal, then back to spellbook.

gently caress that poo poo.

That's why you made friends with an enchanter.

Or played a necromancer. LIFETAP. LIFETAP.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

Yeah EQ was unironically complete poo poo and the only reason it was so popular was that it was a fuckton of peoples' first MMO (I know I, personally, didn't know what the gently caress a MUD was until way after EQ).

You can pretty much interchange that with any popular MMO. WoW, RO, CoH, etc.

Except for UO. The greatest game.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

CoH had one mechanic I wish other MMOs would steal in pvp. Tank taunts actually worked against players.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bacontotem posted:

CoH had one mechanic I wish other MMOs would steal in pvp. Tank taunts actually worked against players.

L2 actually had this, but it wouldn't force you to keep the target. It was the most extreme twitch form of cc in a game about twitch pvp.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bacontotem posted:

In what way did it affect players? Do you mean it literally took control away and forced you to attack that player?

Some games handle it by making taunts just cause the affected player to deal less damage to anyone but you with no actual control restrictions. I feel that is a pretty reasonable way of handling taunts in PvP.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

In what way did it affect players? Do you mean it literally took control away and forced you to attack that player?

Some games handle it by making taunts just cause the affected player to deal less damage to anyone but you with no actual control restrictions. I feel that is a pretty reasonable way of handling taunts in PvP.

Just force a target switch for 1-2 seconds..

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

In EQ I played an ogre warrior and some highlights were:
- Not being able just to travel through any zone that was level appropriate (and even most gray trash would demolish me) without people to hold my hand
- being kill on sight to 2/3 of the population and having to farm literally thousands of gray gnolls for faction (with no area damage either!)
- Having to wear armor that looked like cow poo poo (not even kidding) until I was able to farm large bronze plate
- Large bronze plate was only found in a particular dungeon (Najena) filled with pit traps designed to leave you stuck deep inside the dungeon
- Dying while swimming somewhere or other and losing a full set of gear permanently (remember that stuff I had to farm?)
- Being totally at the mercy of every other person in the team to not be terrible, or I died
- Not being able to set my own bind point in case I did die, which I did, frequently; just about every other class except rogue and monk could and at least rogues could sneak/monks could feign death
- Not even being all that great a tank, compared to paladin or shadow knight

I'm pretty sure Wildstar is super lovely and all that but I really doubt it holds a candle to the astoundingly hateful experience Everquest gave anyone dumb enough to play Warrior and stick with it past the newbie area.

This makes me glad I played ffxi for my poo poo early mmo instead of eq.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mayor McCheese posted:

My cousin started in UO, I started in EQ. He loved that loving game and I can set his nostalgia off hardcore just by saying 'vendor buy the guards a bank' or 'corp por' and he will go off for a loving hour about all the ganks he did in the game, how much fun it was having a house by a portal and shooting people from his porch, and all kinds of other poo poo.

I had the most fun with that game on private shards. He ran one and talked some kid at high school into playing it, and kept loving with him by spawning balrogs and other poo poo off screen, possessing them, and walking into his field of view while he was mining, standing there, and then chasing him while yelling the guy's name like it was supposed to be a script.

Old MMOs were pretty much just MUDs with pictures.

e: https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com%2FVgCEweF.jpg&v=5X1gC3BLq2w

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bacontotem posted:

More MMOs should drop pvp altogether IMO.

Although CoH did have a lot of stuff other games need to start cribbing. The sidekicking/exemplaring stuff in particular.

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, in CoH if you got taunted you were stuck targeting the taunter for like 15-20 seconds. You could not target anything else.

Nowadays if a game did something like this it would be a useless 2 or 3 second forced target switch. Long-lasting CC (in general, PvE as well as PvP) is another thing more games need to start implementing (again).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 3, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Was the lovely spot for ogres and trolls in eq the reason alliance were so popular at the start of wow? People not knowing if blizzard was going to gently caress over horde like eq did to those similar races?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Holyshoot posted:

Was the lovely spot for ogres and trolls in eq the reason alliance were so popular at the start of wow? People not knowing if blizzard was going to gently caress over horde like eq did to those similar races?

I doubt it. Popular theory is that WoW cast a big net in terms of player base compared to all MMOs that came before it. It drew in huge numbers of first time MMO players and other "casuals" who were supposedly more drawn to the faction of "human, short human, shorter human, and elf" than the faction of "green monster, blue monster, cow man, and skeleton".

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lots of people tried wow because they really liked the warcraft games, because believe it or not w3 was a really good game.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

Nah. Oddly enough a lot of people don't like playing what they perceive to be the villains, and in Warcraft (and fantasy media in general) the orcs and trolls were generally the bad guys. They changed it a bit with WC3 but yeah, you still were on the same team as the jungle cannibals and the zombie cannibals.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Eeyo posted:

My favorite part of this is the countdown timer going negative at the very beginning. What the hell is this, amateur hour?

That's actually desired behavior for castbars in MMOs, it allows you to track latency while casting.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

WarLocke posted:

Two things actually made it great and unique

One, it was before the rise of Thottbot/ data mining (it did happen later in EQs lifetime but not until expansion 4-5, before then it was just community sites where people shared information, scoping out those sites for the level 40-50 mobs that people had screenshotted and written down loot for was AWESOME)

Two, it was a game where "endgame" didn't exist, part of the reason it was so brutally hard is that the concept of raiding and/or endgame didnt even exist when the game first came out, Nagafene and Vox were both pretty much afterthoughts. The first expansion was pretty typical mmo fare by todays standards though.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The majority will always gravitate towards playing humans and pretty elves. That's why this game has not one but two near-identical human races; one for each side.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

down with slavery posted:

Two things actually made it great and unique

One, it was before the rise of Thottbot/ data mining (it did happen later in EQs lifetime but not until expansion 4-5, before then it was just community sites where people shared information, scoping out those sites for the level 40-50 mobs that people had screenshotted and written down loot for was AWESOME)

Two, it was a game where "endgame" didn't exist, part of the reason it was so brutally hard is that the concept of raiding and/or endgame didnt even exist when the game first came out, Nagafene and Vox were both pretty much afterthoughts. The first expansion was pretty typical mmo fare by todays standards though.

Yeah these two things were true. You would actually run into random people in early EQ and trade stories about zones/dungeons, because none of that stuff was on the internet yet so word of mouth was how you learned it. That part was pretty rad and I hate thottbot with the fury of a thousand suns for making it so that no game since has had that same sense of discovery.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

down with slavery posted:

Age of Wushu kind of had that feel because the quests for ultra-rare goods were all hidden behind the equivalent of Gen 1 Pokemon urban legends and it was difficult to data mine because the code was in Chinese. Shame it was the worst localization I'd seen until ArcheAge came along.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Unguided posted:

Age of Wushu kind of had that feel because the quests for ultra-rare goods were all hidden behind the equivalent of Gen 1 Pokemon urban legends and it was difficult to data mine because the code was in Chinese. Shame it was the worst localization I'd seen until ArcheAge came along.

The horrible translation was part of the game's charm. First they fixed that, then they made it so pay to win that it's now pretty much ruled by people who have dropped a mortgage worth of money on the game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WarLocke posted:

More MMOs should drop pvp altogether IMO.

Although CoH did have a lot of stuff other games need to start cribbing. The sidekicking/exemplaring stuff in particular.

COH had an abstraction of level and gear (at first) that is totally contrary to how MMO PVP is done everywhere else, and people who are fans of MMO PVP are deplorable weenies who hate fairness so that's why it will never be repeated elsewhere. I really do deserve to do 10 times your damage and have 10 times your health, new player, because I've been whacking moles in this game a long time and you're a newbie scrub so *posts thousands of vehement forum threads about how mmo pvp should be totally dependent on gear and levels* *literally 50 people out of an online population of 20 thousand bother with pvp*

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

COH had an abstraction of level and gear (at first) that is totally contrary to how MMO PVP is done everywhere else, and people who are fans of MMO PVP are deplorable weenies who hate fairness so that's why it will never be repeated elsewhere. I really do deserve to do 10 times your damage and have 10 times your health, new player, because I've been whacking moles in this game a long time and you're a newbie scrub so *posts thousands of vehement forum threads about how mmo pvp should be totally dependent on gear and levels* *literally 50 people out of an online population of 20 thousand bother with pvp*

It's sad because the original design for CoH was even more abstract. There was literally nothing you could call gear, every power increase was directly via experience (you bought powers and buffed up damage/range/etc directly with experience, sort of like Asheron's Call IIRC).

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
All of these Everquest horror stories really makes me appreciate Guild Wars 2.

Maybe I'm just not hardcore enough.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bacontotem posted:

WAR had this but the effect was different per tank class.

The dwarven one would cast the taunt, and would gain a stacking damage buff as long as there were enemy units near him that weren't attacking him.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Mayor McCheese posted:

:agreed:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

WAR had this but the effect was different per tank class.

The dwarven one would cast the taunt, and would gain a stacking damage buff as long as there were enemy units near him that weren't attacking him.

Levelling through PvP in a duo of a Dwarf Ironbreaker and a Warrior Priest was loving awesome in that game. Choose between hitting a tank who's being healed, or his healer who is taking 50% damage since they're guarded by the tank, while they both beat the poo poo out of you.

Then you hit the level cap and the usual MMO bugbear of "You now need to spend 40 hours to gain your next meaningful upgrade" and the specific WAR bugbear of "lol your side is outnumbered 4 to 1 so gently caress you" reared their ugly heads and it was time to quit.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Gort posted:

Levelling through PvP in a duo of a Dwarf Ironbreaker and a Warrior Priest was loving awesome in that game. Choose between hitting a tank who's being healed, or his healer who is taking 50% damage since they're guarded by the tank, while they both beat the poo poo out of you.

Then you hit the level cap and the usual MMO bugbear of "You now need to spend 40 hours to gain your next meaningful upgrade" and the specific WAR bugbear of "lol your side is outnumbered 4 to 1 so gently caress you" reared their ugly heads and it was time to quit.

I had a lot of fun in warhammer, but oddly enough the thing I remember the most about it was cultivation. I spent loving hours playing that stupid minigame, and I still don't really know why I thought it was so fun, but it was.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If anybody misses Warhammer: Online I suggest you look into Elder Scrolls Online. Cyrodiil is basically WAR reborn with one enormous lake instead of many smaller ones and minus the horrendous mismanagement.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I could have sworn people said warriors were the only good tank class in EQ before.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

If anybody misses Warhammer: Online I suggest you look into Elder Scrolls Online. Cyrodiil is basically WAR reborn with one enormous lake instead of many smaller ones and minus the horrendous mismanagement.
Does it do the thing WAR did where healers could target both an ally and an enemy at the same time, and have skills that took advantage of this to work on both targets simultaneously?

Since that was the only time I ever had fun healing in an MMO and it annoys me that nobody else ever stole it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

Does it do the thing WAR did where healers could target both an ally and an enemy at the same time, and have skills that took advantage of this to work on both targets simultaneously?

Since that was the only time I ever had fun healing in an MMO and it annoys me that nobody else ever stole it.

It's even easier because you don't need to target. Heals are all either AOE circles or cones or auto-target nearby friendlies in order of health %.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I could have sworn people said warriors were the only good tank class in EQ before.

I know stuff got revamped after I quit (a very long time after, since that was pre-expansion) but I never heard that warriors were demonstrably better than paladin or SK in terms of tanking.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Chomp8645 posted:

If it doesn't have collision between players and bright wizards/chosen then no deal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

If it doesn't have collision between players and bright wizards/chosen then no deal.

I don't want to drag out a discussion of one game in another game's thread (even though it's Wildstar lol), so here is every way I can think of in which ESO's Cyrodiil is like WAR. If this stuff interests you then I encourage you to check it out (and we do have a thread here for it). But yes, player collision is a thing and there can be body blocking shenanigans in certain situations. Thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706540 and I will stop the derail with this post.

First up is the biggest PvP lake of them all, Cyrodiil! Featuring 18 keeps, 54 resource nodes, 6 Elder Scroll temples, and 3 forward outposts. All capture and featuring destructible walls and gates.

A keep at peace, a siege camp, and a defense on the walls

Operable siege weapons. (not pictured, rams)

Destructible walls.

Field skirmishes (it's not all keep fighting)

Burning Oil!!!!!!

Not like WAR: Greenskins and hummies, working together (to kill elves).

Best of all, you can get everything you need without ever leaving Cyrodiil if that's what you want. PvE is optional. Gold, gear, crafting materials, exp, and everything else is available in Cyrodiil, and all war supplies from siege weapons to repair kits are purchasable with Alliance Points, a currency you earn from PvPing. The only (tiny barrier) is that you can't enter until level 10, but after that you can stay there forever.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Anatharon posted:

Ogre Warriors made the best raid main tank. They sat there and autoattacked things to death, but relied on weapon procs to hold threat. This is as hilariously dumb as it sounds but they had the best mitigation and HP pool. This later got reinforced by giving them some pretty powerful long cooldown tanking abilities in the first expansion. As a result of relying on procs to be any amount of useful in a tanking role, leveling warriors were garbage unless they were twinks.

Shadowknights and Paladins made good raid off tanks and excellent dungeon tanks since they had instant aggro generation that couldn't be beat.

All three classes were good at tanking for their own reasons. Paladins wrecked the poo poo out of undead mobs and were basically another DPS in certain situations. Shadowknights could pull and tank.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 4, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Anatharon posted:

As I understand Warriors were the best main tanks for large scale raids, where the raw specialization was more valuable. In any other situation where you DON'T have two of each class buffing away your weaknesses, the varied kits that Paladins and Shadow Knights are way more useful.

So at the end of the day, you still needed somebody to level this horribly boring third rate tanks to max cuz the other guys just won't cut it for the end game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And after a while of trying to do that (level 46 iirc) I realized holy loving poo poo this makes me want to stick my balls and dick into a meat grinder why am I not playing a less painful class

only to make an amusing discovery, guess what it was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Counterpoint:

• Locked thread