Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
gently caress when you get good with the roller, it's so great. People really don't expect you to be able to skirmish with them, so they just assume you're easy pickin's and run right up on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Your wins matter. If you win a match it's +1 to your team's cause. King/Queen determines how many snails you get as a reward.

Just had a match where we pushed all the dogs back to spawn in kelp dome, I used my Kraken and killed a enemy and a ring appeared where he was standing, so 2 teammates and myself just sat around it while I was still Kraken'd. Everyone was just spamming booyah as fast as possible until we feasted on him.

I taught another kraken why special duration up is worthwhile after headbutting each other then eating him once his wore off. Great against bubbles too.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

In addition it's great when your team mates take advantage of the disruption a good roller causes. Slaughtering half the enemy team in one shot gives you a TON of room to snatch up territory, and if things are going bad, you can always fall back into the enemy base and just scoop up some of theirs, causing them to come and try to fight you. But of course you know they're coming, so you just pop out of the ink and kill them as they try to recover their precious base :smug:

Rolling for Team Dog for life, boys

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Poultron posted:

In addition it's great when your team mates take advantage of the disruption a good roller causes. Slaughtering half the enemy team in one shot gives you a TON of room to snatch up territory, and if things are going bad, you can always fall back into the enemy base and just scoop up some of theirs, causing them to come and try to fight you. But of course you know they're coming, so you just pop out of the ink and kill them as they try to recover their precious base :smug:

Rolling for Team Dog for life, boys

Yeah I ended up switching to the roller and rolling my way to some Team Doge victories. This is by far the most competitive turf warring I've ever played, though. Just played a 2v4 where we were the team at the disadvantage, and still held our own until the final 30 seconds when they finally managed to kill us both at the same time and take advantage of it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Is there any way to actually tell how many people are on each team and who is winning, or is this all just speculation from everyone?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Jumped on with a good team that had a tiny god with a dual squealcher and 2 other competent players.

Most matches were 70% or more victory - unbroken win streak that I only stopped cause I had to go do stuff.

But yeah...37.5 rating. o_O

I am looking forward to arranged team mode - splatoon becomes a very different highly teamplay oriented game when you play with the same group of players over and over and start to understand what each other are doing.

Also - yay, all 3 of the dog team players made friend requests. :D

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Did my part. My outfit would be fresher but I was in it to win it, not to look good.

Also had sort of a streak of bad luck in the middle but I'd say I still had like a 60% win rate at least. I got an average of around 8 kills per match, ensuring that my team of usually all Aerosprays could do their duty of holding down R and spinning the gamepad around really fast. Godspeed, Team Dog.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Level 5 so far, have had zero connection issues.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Close games are really rare today. I've had two games that weren't ~70-15, it's all complete dunking one way or the other.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People are trying to settle into successful teams, so I think you often end up with one good team that's had a streak of wins together, VS a newly-assembled hodgepodge that will probably disband as soon as they lose.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really appreciate how short the matches are. This is a great pick up and play game that doesn't overstay its welcome. So if you do get into a match where you're being dominated pretty hard then it really doesn't matter. With a lot of other multiplayer shooters if you are getting wrecked hardcore then you have to wait it out for as long as 10 - 15 minutes and that just isn't fun at all. Here you just shrug it off and go into the next match quickly. I really like that, it makes playing Splatoon for real long sessions easy. I don't feel that fatigue after just one match like I do in other shooters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of impending defeat when you see at the beginning of the match that 2 inkbrushers are on your team.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Everyone's a lot worse right now, they seemed a lot better back at midnight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probably more literal children.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You would think all of the kids would be forced to be outside right now with family for 4th of July.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

raditts posted:

There's nothing quite like the feeling of impending defeat when you see at the beginning of the match that 2 inkbrushers are on your team.

I use an inkbrush and today I met another inkbrush named Heropon and we tore the dog team to shreds together for a while.

There's only one for-sure telltale sign where you know a player will be terrible before the match starts: they're wearing a gas mask.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lemming posted:

Probably more literal children.

Yeah, a lot of matches make a lot more sense when I watch my 6 year old try to play the game.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

When i was playing this morning (7-10 AM PST) I was mostly playing against other #teamdogge broes and was getting trashed. I also got trashed by #teamcatte on one occasion.

I guess you can call me trash then :shrug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just won two 3v4s in a row. Probably children.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I lost a match because 2 members of my team just sat back on the spawn spamming Booyah so I'm assuming they were either plants or 3 year olds.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Splatfest may be wonky as heck but as a way to test things in the game I think it's interesting.

It basically seems to function as a pseudo beta test for arranged team battles that are coming in august and how that might be unfair in certain matchups of skill brackets.

It also lets players get a taste of just how much the game changes when you're on the same team of the same competent players every time. You understand what each of you are doing and how to support each other best. (Splatoon is a *hugely* teamplay oriented game, and this experience highlights that fact like crazy.)

Add to that the sea snails, which are giving players a bunch of stuff to experiment and stat-tweak their gear for future arranged team battles.

It seems like Nintendo is trying to train the playerbase for higher end arranged team battle play, in the wonky savant-genius way only Nintendo could. They seem conscious of the fact that splatoon is a new type of game that players need to learn & push the limits of, so they seem to be pacing out how they roll out new features a bit like nintendo paces out how they train players in game levels of even Mario games.

Oh yeah, also gotta hand it to the devs - for all the problems and wonkiness splatfest is, it's on the whole been super fun. A huge part of that is due to the presentation. Even more than any MMO I've ever played, the lobby area and changes to the play levels make you feel like you're part of a big event. The level of enthusiasm is infectious.

Anyway, I'm hoping they learn from this and change how splatfest works - instead of voting to be on a team maybe randomly break players up 50-50 so you never know what team you will be on and it isn't so lopsided. Also separate them more by skill tier in matchmaking.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Did Team Cat win yet?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Did Team Cat win yet?

No, because they're not going to.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

i have been playing for hours

my eyes hurt

happy 4th

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One thing I had suspected before that the Splatfest confirmed is that contrary to what you might suspect, the Aerosprays kinda suck on Kelp Dome. Too many areas for you to get out ranged. Although it might be better when you can equip Ninja Squid.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I want to know where all the good Dog Teams are. So far I've been on two, and those both disbanded almost immediately. Every other one has been Level 10s or Level 1s sitting around shooting the base rather than pushing forward.

Sure, I know I'm not helping because my main game (Inkbrush + Ninja Squid for maximum slaughter of innocents) has been ganked by the shirt, but if it really was me dragging down our teams, why does it seem like I'm MVP for half the games we lose, and #2 in another quarter? I've clawed my way to Dog Champion on the back of over 27 losses (never managed a streak over +2), and I'm still waiting for that elusive good team that sticks it out for more than two rounds.

Also, one game it was literally just me against 4 other dogs. I still managed to come out with a 5/5 K/D ratio with no backup.

I've also hit 3 Dog v Dog games in the past 6, so there's a poo poo load of Dog out there, so either Team Cat is owning, or I seem to be getting the short end of the stick here.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 5, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Kaubocks posted:

Is there any way to actually tell how many people are on each team and who is winning, or is this all just speculation from everyone?

It's all speculation but Dog nerds have been complaining about fighting other Dog nerds and I haven't fought any of my Cat brethren yet.

(Also they have been whining about how much their teams suck and I've literally won 3 times as many matches as I've lost ~*personal experiences*~)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

raditts posted:

According to Judd this was only 85%. I find his math skills questionable.

The 100% includes all the plastic/grated/water surfaces as well as most unreachable tops of walls

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
As a Dog King, I know for an absolute goddamn fact that Cats won Splatfest.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I want to know where all the good Dog Teams are. So far I've been on two, and those both disbanded almost immediately. Every other one has been Level 10s or Level 1s sitting around shooting the base rather than pushing forward.

Sure, I know I'm not helping because my main game (Inkbrush + Ninja Squid for maximum slaughter of innocents) has been ganked by the shirt, but if it really was me dragging down our teams, why does it seem like I'm MVP for half the games we lose, and #2 in another quarter? I've clawed my way to Dog Champion on the back of over 27 losses (never managed a streak over +2), and I'm still waiting for that elusive good team that sticks it out for more than two rounds.

Also, one game it was literally just me against 4 other dogs. I still managed to come out with a 5/5 K/D ratio with no backup.

I've also hit 3 Dog v Dog games in the past 6, so there's a poo poo load of Dog out there, so either Team Cat is owning, or I seem to be getting the short end of the stick here.

Mayhaps you should have gotten good with something that doesn't get crippled without one specific piece of equipment :smug:

I had absolutely no problems with my standard Roller. I was going to try out the Dynamo roller because it's absolutely stellar on Warehouse and to a lesser extent Underpass, but it's almost entirely worthless on Dome unfortunately.

The Gorp posted:

As a Dog King, I know for an absolute goddamn fact that Cats won Splatfest.

I'm pretty sure Dogs won. At the very least, I did my drat part.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I went on a ~15 steak and otherwise went 50-50, but if you look outside everyone is wearing cat shirts.
Not to mention there were no close defeats, everything we lost we lost HARD.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Poultron posted:

I'm pretty sure Dogs won. At the very least, I did my drat part.

I think Cats won. I hear about Dogs steamrolling Cats and Cats steamrolling Dogs, but while I hear about Dogs being steamrolled by Cats, I haven't heard any Cats talking about how they're being steamrolled by Dogs. It seems to me that your team's wins are probably outweighed by Cats crushing the many many crap Dog teams that must exist.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Dogs will win because they are the best and most loyal pet. I have faith in Dogs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I want to know where all the good Dog Teams are.

There are none, sorry.

Pick the right team next time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Team Dog is cool... FOR ME TO INK ON.

#TeamTriumph

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Went a good 20 or so rounds with the same 3 players and a rotating fourth and only lost 2 of them. "Twas fun.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
I enjoy the increased challenge of having the good ranked players playing turf wars. It makes for some amazing games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Splatfest is good fun

getting super sick of these maps though, for real

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Got crowned Dog King on a 4v3 Dog on Dog match. Didn't feel right, felt unearned.

So we went on to stomp some filthy fuckin' cats into the ground the next match. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I've ran out of playing stamina halfway through Defender... and that's from fishing for matches all day. I don't know if it's the weather or Nintendo's fault, but I tried my best. I haven't really noticed the Kraken nerf yet.

• Locked thread