Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ayn rand hand job posted:

Tie breaking for leaderboards. Once you get to 3 stars, it breaks by rival points. Same goes for the overall leaderboard as well.

Yeah, I've got about 60 of them and I saw they bump you on the leaderboard. I thought there was an incredibly slim chance they were some kind of currency. Destiny has beaten that into me. I am a broken video game button pusher. The platinum for this game took me a solid 2 weeks, so much busy work for you Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm 93% done with the game overall, and after doing every side-quest and so far getting 185 Riddler trophies all on my own what caused me to get stuck and have to check Youtube was during (late boss fight spoilers) the Arkham Knight sniper fight, when he locks the room and you have to escape the gas - I couldn't see the vent grapple point right in front of me so I died three times in a row. :shepface: I'm the biggest Batscrub.

So far I think this is the weakest of the Arkham titles. Origins had the best campaign/story and City was the pinnacle of the series' gameplay. This has the smallest amount of indoor areas in the franchise, and the city itself isn't interesting enough to spend to much time in. The combat's larger number of enemies makes the auto lock-on a pain since it's easy to end up launching yourself into a heavy/electric enemy that makes you lose your combo. The Batmobile is fun but it's overused near the end and enemy types aren't varied enough to make it worth it. Boss fights, except for one (maybe two, I don't remember) all rely on it all and suck rear end, with the one you do after completing all the Militia side-quests being a copy/pasted boss from the main campaign. The storyline has some good moments but it's mostly dull poo poo with a bunch of predictable twists and a rushed ending which is Rocksteady setting everything on fire so no other developer can take over the series without some heavy retconning and asspulling.
The Challenge mode is the worst in the franchise so far, the number of Challenge Rooms is pretty low and everything is Batman only. I know they're saving it all for DLC, but at the very least they could've included Catwoman ones like City did.

All in all, I think the Arkham series still has potential but it needs another developer. Rocksteady topped with City, and the only thing Knight shows me is that they ran out of ideas outside throwing in the Batmobile.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Uh, is there a way back inside the police station after the main game is over? I've left a Riddler clue in there and the door isn't opening.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, is there a way back inside the police station after the main game is over? I've left a Riddler clue in there and the door isn't opening.

5 seconds after I posted this, the Batmobile fell through the world. I was just in a bad state and stuff was bugged out.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The game is trying to tell you to stop and just youtube the ending

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone wishes Maxie Zeus was in one of the dlcs? I feel like he kind of gets ignored in this series, despite the bios. He's not really an A-lister but they've used more obscure before, like Blackfyre.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I can't really determine if the New 52 skin looks just OK or totally awful. He looks like an action figure and the proportions seem weird looking.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone wishes Maxie Zeus was in one of the dlcs? I feel like he kind of gets ignored in this series, despite the bios. He's not really an A-lister but they've used more obscure before, like Blackfyre.

The entire DLC is just a shot-for-shot remake of his scene in Serious House on a Serious Earth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Funky Valentine posted:

The entire DLC is just a shot-for-shot remake of his scene in Serious House on a Serious Earth.

Was he the one playing with his poo poo in that book?

That book was insane.

theflyingorc posted:

Sometimes the gcpd gate would bug out for me as well.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 4, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
e: double post.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Dogen posted:

On PC you just move the mouse to change the camera

This is what I do, but it sounds like people that use controllers only move the camera between attacks? Like, that doesn't seem like enough time to look around, how do you see everything? The camera doesn't move itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way to lock on to the helicopter after the chemical plant? I keep getting blown to hell by it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Hiding the denouement of the game behind lovely Riddler challenges is a really cheap thing to do. It's not like completing everything just gives you anything superfluous, it's the literal ending of the game (Being that it brings back Gordon's opening narration. He finally finishes his story). It's amazing to me that it got all the way through development and no one thought maybe it was taking the Riddler stuff a little too far.

Anyway, actual game thoughts now I've finished it.

The Arkham Knight stuff gets uninteresting really quickly. Not coincidentally around the time you have to endure some really lovely battles. I went from not caring much about the Batmobile, to liking it, to utterly resenting its inclusion in the game because it leads to banal combat where it takes away any immediacy and just has you repeating the same actions over again. Funnily enough repetition is something this game has in spades. If in doubt, repeat. There's no need for you to grapple to the Knight 3 or 4 times given that Batman isn't hitting him, just surprising him with his presence. The firefly stuff is the exact same action and animations just repeated. Hell one of the Penguin missions takes you back to the same location that you've already been to at one point. There's a staggering lack of variation. It's a way to mask just how low on content the game really is. And that's a shame because they could've done some interesting side quests.

However, interspersed with all that is some really neat stuff. I think everything around Scarecrow and Batman actually works really well, at least from a character perspective. I think they way they handle Bruce's broken psyche is something that Rocksteady have always done well and the last 20 or so minutes of the game were astounding.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DrVenkman posted:

The Arkham Knight stuff gets uninteresting really quickly. Not coincidentally around the time you have to endure some really lovely battles. I went from not caring much about the Batmobile, to liking it, to utterly resenting its inclusion in the game because it leads to banal combat where it takes away any immediacy and just has you repeating the same actions over again. Funnily enough repetition is something this game has in spades. If in doubt, repeat. There's no need for you to grapple to the Knight 3 or 4 times given that Batman isn't hitting him, just surprising him with his presence. The firefly stuff is the exact same action and animations just repeated. Hell one of the Penguin missions takes you back to the same location that you've already been to at one point. There's a staggering lack of variation. It's a way to mask just how low on content the game really is. And that's a shame because they could've done some interesting side quests.

No mention of Man-Bat?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Aquasnake posted:

This is what I do, but it sounds like people that use controllers only move the camera between attacks? Like, that doesn't seem like enough time to look around, how do you see everything? The camera doesn't move itself.

It's plenty of time. People that are complaining about the camera being "broken" are just bad at the game. It literally feels the same as it has done for the previous Arkham games.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Kin posted:

It's plenty of time. People that are complaining about the camera being "broken" are just bad at the game. It literally feels the same as it has done for the previous Arkham games.

Well, no, it doesn't. Those games definately did more with regards camera assistance. I don't think it's such a big issue though. I think it's more a case of combat being harder in general and some of the new mooks having waaay shorter tells than the old ones meaning that they can get a slap in from offscreen since the camera isn't tracking.

While I didn't find myself swearing at the camera, I did find myself somersaulting out to the edge of the combat so I wasn't surrounded WAY more than in the previous games, and I think the camera behaviour may have been a factor in the playstyle change.

Anyway, finished this, loved it, Asylums still the best in the series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Holy hell do I hate Cobra "stealth" sections. I thought checking out seismic activity would lead to something cool! :saddowns:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kin posted:

"There's nothing wrong cuz they must be bad at the game and I'm not" is the most weak, pathetic argument you could make. Here is a direct example of how you are wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKefi-v-qz0

Here's a video of combat in Arkham City, notice that the camera rotates around on its own as you're fighting so that you can keep track of the whole mob. It doesn't do this in Arkham Knight, at all. It's a fundamental change that makes the combat system much worse or at least harder for no actual gain. The camera also doesn't seem to auto-center on enemies you are blade dodging away from or doing a takedown on which is another annoying change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

"There's nothing wrong cuz they must be bad at the game and I'm not" is the most weak, pathetic argument you could make. Here is a direct example of how you are wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKefi-v-qz0

Here's a video of combat in Arkham City, notice that the camera rotates around on its own as you're fighting so that you can keep track of the whole mob. It doesn't do this in Arkham Knight, at all. It's a fundamental change that makes the combat system much worse or at least harder for no actual gain. The camera also doesn't seem to auto-center on enemies you are blade dodging away from or doing a takedown on which is another annoying change.

I'm not really seeing a big difference in my own game to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLNuFzvzZs

(It's a challenge room but so is what you posted.)

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

CJacobs posted:

The camera also doesn't seem to auto-center on enemies you are blade dodging away from

I was wondering why exactly blade dodge felt so finicky and terrible this time around and couldn't put my finger on it, but yes, exactly.

I also had a baffling number of instances where Batman just wouldn't do the aerial attack on the shield guys, he'd just roll right past them. No idea what's up with that. Still really liked the game, though, just finished it 100% a bit ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

The camera in Arkham Knight centers on the direction you are moving and not the enemies you're fighting. In that video, when the player jumps to one side of the arena, the camera tries to stay behind Batman/Nightwing's back where it usually is instead of keeping it rotated toward where the enemies are. This leads to a situation a few times in the video where the player is in the middle of the camera but the camera isn't pointing at anything so they can't see any enemies. In the Arkham City video you can see multiple times that the player flies around from one end of the mob to the other, and the camera balances between showing where they are going to end up and keeping the enemies onscreen so they can know their next move in the meantime.

Like I said, it's a small change but I feel like it's a pretty vital one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I was wondering why exactly blade dodge felt so finicky and terrible this time around and couldn't put my finger on it, but yes, exactly.

I also had a baffling number of instances where Batman just wouldn't do the aerial attack on the shield guys, he'd just roll right past them. No idea what's up with that. Still really liked the game, though, just finished it 100% a bit ago.

I am just getting through shielded enemies by waiting until there's some sort of projectile or special attack that makes them drop it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ImpAtom posted:

The camera is generally better in challenge rooms because it's a much smaller area.

The issue I think is that for one, the camera seems a little closer and tighter than it did previously doesn't keep track of the player in quite the same way and secondly the larger variety of enemies can make things disorienting, particularly when you're keeping track of the big guys, the stunners, the ninjas and the guys who run at you in addition to standard enemies. I've finished the game and most of the challenges but the combat to me seems a slight step back from what it was previously (Aside from the dual team stuff which is great).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The camera in Arkham Knight centers on the direction you are moving and not the enemies you're fighting. In that video, when the player jumps to one side of the arena, the camera tries to stay behind Batman/Nightwing's back where it usually is instead of keeping it rotated toward where the enemies are. This leads to a situation a few times in the video where the player is in the middle of the camera but the camera isn't pointing at anything so they can't see any enemies. In the Arkham City video you can see multiple times that the player flies around from one end of the mob to the other, and the camera balances between showing where they are going to end up and keeping the enemies onscreen so they can know their next move in the meantime.

Like I said, it's a small change but I feel like it's a pretty vital one.

Wait? Is that what you're talking about? Because City did that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgAygHCCvb8

You can see it here.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Goddammit! I'm playing the New Game + and gently caress if both Langstrom and Joker didn't scare the poo poo out of me again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JFC posted:

Goddammit! I'm playing the New Game + and gently caress if both Langstrom and Joker didn't scare the poo poo out of me again.

I kept flying back to that building after the first one just waiting for the second one to happen, and even though I knew it was gonna happen it STILL got me when it did :argh:

ImpAtom posted:

Wait? Is that what you're talking about? Because City did that too.

You can see it here.

Looking at it, you're right, it does also happen in City. It just feels so much more sluggish to me in Arkham Knight, everything does including the actual fighting itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Looking at it, you're right, it does also happen in City. It just feels so much more sluggish to me in Arkham Knight, everything does including the actual fighting itself.

Huh. that's weird because to me if anything Knight feels way more snappish.

One major change in Knight is that the game auto-locks HARD now to pretty much anything. In City if you hit counter it would only work if you were nearby. In Knight you'll drat well leap across the stage to counter an enemy who is attacking quite some distance away. The same goes for ground attacks which now can hit enemies without special action and both Pound and Critical Beatdown will zoom to hit an enemy.It feels to me like in general the game is way more sticky and fast-paced because of it. It's honestly a lot harder to break your combo in Knight (at least to me) and so I found the combat pace picking up rather than slowing down.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Literally all that's standing between me and 100% is Lap 3 of Condamned/Lethal Pursuits.

:bang:

This close to just throwing up my hand & seeing if someone can Share Play this rear end in a top hat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
And goddamn the voiceover actor for A Certain Character at the end of the Perfect Crime side-mission did an absolutely incredible job. He threw himself into those audio recordings, too. Bravo!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

And goddamn the voiceover actor for A Certain Character at the end of the Perfect Crime side-mission did an absolutely incredible job. He threw himself into those audio recordings, too. Bravo!

I was annoyed that I spoiled myself for that one, because it was literally the one villain I couldn't figure out. It obviously wasn't Zsasz, because the MO didn't fit, nor did the out-of-town pattern. And it was too general for Hush.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bleake Island is the worst loving level design I've seen in a long time. They confine you to one area and then put a Cobra tank on every goddamn corner of said area so you can never escape them! I've been playing this same part for like an hour now. I even dropped the difficulty down to Easy just for this one level and it's not even helping :negative:

gently caress you, Rocksteady. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Be the Batmobile.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I don't like that you can't cancel out of a grapple with ctrl anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can still do it with B on Xbox, so you have to be able to on kb/m somehow!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aquasnake posted:

I don't like that you can't cancel out of a grapple with ctrl anymore.
Agreed. (I don't know what this series' obsession with changing the common command keys every game is.)

You hit middle-mouse-button instead now.

edit:
Jack Ryder, eww.

edit2:
Playing with the Zur-Enn-Arrh skin for the last section of the game should be mandatory. It really sets the mood.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 5, 2015

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Does anyone else have trouble getting three stars in the Predator challenge Under The Pale Moonlight on PC? Specifically, I can't get the star for taking the drone controller down last. At first I thought it was because I hacked the drone and took it out of his control, then I restricted myself to just blinding it, then the last time I didn't interact with the drone at all, and it still didn't pop. Any clues?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Funky Valentine posted:

The entire DLC is just a shot-for-shot remake of his scene in Serious House on Serious Earth Knightfall.

redbackground posted:

Holy hell do I hate Cobra "stealth" sections. I thought checking out seismic activity would lead to something cool! :saddowns:

I had a feeling something uncool was going to happen, so I stopped playing the main story at that point and actually spent a day or two on just Most Wanted and Riddler stuff before getting back to it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why can't you look at batmans face and have him step towards you in arkham games? who thought it was a good idea to assign character facing to the camera stick?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you're using a fear takedown he has to be the last person in that string, annoyingly. I accidentally screwed up my order the first time and had to do it again.

What's this about canceling out of grapples? What's a grapple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dogen posted:

If you're using a fear takedown he has to be the last person in that string, annoyingly. I accidentally screwed up my order the first time and had to do it again.

What's this about canceling out of grapples? What's a grapple?

when you use the bat hook to ascend buildings.

• Locked thread