Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

eSporks posted:

Christ, wtf are they doing. The buff battle leveling to be sane, but then severely nerf your damage and defense. Just when I hear something that makes me want to play again, I hear something that doesn't.

I was wondering this exact thing. It sounds like we're right back where we started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's pretty much a case of them digging themselves into a much deeper hole than they could actually get out of. They should have never mentioned the removal of veteran ranks in the first place.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

It's pretty much a case of them digging themselves into a much deeper hole than they could actually get out of. They should have never mentioned the removal of veteran ranks in the first place.
This issue is aside from VR rank removal though.

Problem: A level 49 guy is more powerful than a VR1 through maybe what, 6 or 7? maybe higher.
This makes PVP unfun when you hit VR because you are pretty disadvantaged.

Solution: Allow VR ranks to opt in to battle leveling system.
Cool, now a VR1 can actually do stuff. This is awesome

Random other change for no loving reason:
Nerf battle leveled characters significantly. Now a VR is probably even shittier if they opt into battle leveling, and if I understand this right, the entire non-VR meta is completely changed. What the gently caress is point of even having battle leveling now?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Can the templar class both tank and heal? Obviously needs different builds, but was wondering what my options are.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

eSporks posted:

This issue is aside from VR rank removal though.

Problem: A level 49 guy is more powerful than a VR1 through maybe what, 6 or 7? maybe higher.
This makes PVP unfun when you hit VR because you are pretty disadvantaged.

Solution: Allow VR ranks to opt in to battle leveling system.
Cool, now a VR1 can actually do stuff. This is awesome

Random other change for no loving reason:
Nerf battle leveled characters significantly. Now a VR is probably even shittier if they opt into battle leveling, and if I understand this right, the entire non-VR meta is completely changed. What the gently caress is point of even having battle leveling now?
It's because gently caress sorcerers.

Seriously, that's their reasoning.

Nightblades in PvP cried because they couldn't one-shot Sorcs in Cyro because they were stacking every shield available (I'm sorry I didn't realize using class skills to stay alive was a bad metagame), so ZoS decided to say gently caress it and nerf everything across the board because why not.

In fact, every stupid change (no Stamina regen while blocking included) can be attributed to some loving PvP idiots (almost all of the time they're Nightblades) crying because they couldn't go off and one-shot a single player. The worst part is that all of this stuff is affecting the PvE game too, because ZoS can't be bothered to make those changes exclusive to PvP.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 4, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can someone with no knowledge than me explain if there are any serious ramifications to the battle leveling change in non-VR Cyrodiil? And also if there are any times when it makes more sense to opt-out than opt-in to it (in non-VR).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

ZoS can't be bothered to make those changes exclusive to PvP.
Not speaking about the specific changes, but the reason they can't do this is because its loving dumb. Having 2 separate rule sets is really dumb and makes things confusing and hard to jump back and forth between.

Chomp8645 posted:

Can someone with no knowledge than me explain if there are any serious ramifications to the battle leveling change in non-VR Cyrodiil? And also if there are any times when it makes more sense to opt-out than opt-in to it (in non-VR).
We don't really know the specifics, but here is how I interpret the proposed changes.

Non-VR campaign, it sounds like everyone will be using battle leveling, I think the opt in/out is only for VR characters. That also means everyone will be getting -50% damage and healing done. Burst damage builds are going to be useless. Fights are going to be longer and more drawn out, but with healing nerfed there will be 0 chance to save someone that is focused fired. Assuming siege does not get the -50% damage, then siege is going to be even stronger comparatively, especially when healing is nerfed and you can't save someone easily.

VR campaign, it sounds like low VR tanks might want to opt in, but everyone else will probably want to opt out. I can't see the battle leveled stats offsetting the -50% damage and healing, so you are probably going to be better off just using your poo poo stats.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Does this impact non pvp people? I'm new and haven't gotten to be yet.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

Does this impact non pvp people? I'm new and haven't gotten to be yet.

The new changes will impact quite a bit of PvE as well. PvP buffs no longer applied means Trials/DSA leaderboards will be wiped, and of course the new meta for dungeon running will be "DPS the gently caress out of the boss before the tank runs out of Stamina."

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Moochewmoo posted:

Can the templar class both tank and heal? Obviously needs different builds, but was wondering what my options are.

tl;dr- yes.

I don't know for end game, but I am running a Templar with a Tank bar and Heal bar. He is tanking and healing at the same time so far at lvl 30. Sure that will break at some point. 1h/shield-Resto Staff. Certainly not the best build, but fun so far. Imperial - Templar.

Bar 1:
- Ransack/Pierce for taunt or Slash/ multi target Morph depending on solo or group. (I will get the Undaunted taunt, but not for a long while.). Honestly don't throw these a lot since Stam mostly goes to block and interrupt. Slotted to level them and need the taunt when when grouped.
- Jabs Heal Morph, Puncturing Sweep (knock back does not seem to work, self heal only I think. Main Attack)
- Defensive Stance Absorb/Heal Morph (runs 30 seconds and makes ranged spells heal you while you tank a melee mob, also buffs blocking)
- Purifying Light, which again, is the heal morph. Does damage and heals group. Can be placed on multiple targets. Very low cost.
- Repentance, zero cost group heal once things start dying also functions as a passive buff that stacks with Blood Altar.
Ult- Nova. Really helps make things start dying.

Bar 2:
- Regen from resto... Lower heal, but low cost. Instant cast, animation canceling works.
- Cleansing Ritual... Instant cast, animation canceling works.
- Honor the Dead... Instant cast, animation canceling works.
- Blood Altar... 1.5 sec to cast, but if you time it part of the animation can be cancelled.
- Ritual of Rebirth... channeled, but reduced time morph.
Ult- Remebrance... Channeled, but reduced damage morph

Heavy Armor w/ all the Tank/Block passives possible at level. Passives for Jabs dmg and spell crit where possible. I don't really know how these all add up. Can't find the numbers anywhere and too lazy to run real tests. He can just sit and be hit for a long time behind block though. He can bash most near level casters to death. He can solo singles and duo's up to 5-7? levels or so above him, depending upon type and such... Though even with Nova those are long fights. No reason to do it really.

I have tried to solo the Sewer in Wayrest at various levels and he can move through it for a while, but I end up getting him killed and no way on the boss I would guess. Level 30 and still have not done that dungeon. He does ok solo at Dolmens, but I am a bad button masher and sometimes die even with such a simple build to run. With one other player of pretty much any type he is good to go.

He doesn't really have burst anything. He spends most of his time in bar one, only flipping to bar two to refresh HoTs/Buffs or if a channeled heal is really needed.

It is mostly HoTs. Main damage is Puncturing Sweep, which heals. Fairly heavy Magika investment. Stam and a fair amount of HP comes from armor sets and enchantments. He can block for a long time and throw Sweep from behind that. Purifying Light followed by Sweeps seems to work well. Eventually might change to more Att in HP and Mag/Stam from armor/enchants. Don't have all the traits researched for the right sets yet though.

He seems pretty survivable solo. He can flip to heals with a group fairly effectively. Because a lot of the heals are buffs and HoTs he can tank while they are ticking. Usually he can keep them running and tank. It's meant to be resoirce efficient. Don't know if it really is or not. Rarely throws either of the two channeled heals, but has them and enough Magika that he could run them.

The Resto staff is really probably not worth it and I should just run a second 1h/shield, but I want to level the resto for later and just like it. With 1h/shield and resto he can run a complete crafted set for each bar and get partial bonuses for the off set.

Again not the best build or a blockbuster of any sort. Doesn't kill bosses super fast or anything. I am enjoying it a lot though.

Sorry for the :spergin:.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 5, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Resto staff is indeed worth it when it comes to healing. You have no idea how valuable HoTs can be. And on top of that, Healing Springs (one of the AoE healing morphs) is the most mana efficient heals in the game, returning mana based on how many people are in the AoE.

I may sound like I'm bashing Templars as healers, but I'm not. Breath of Life is an "oh, poo poo" burst heal which is good when someone takes spike damage. If you want to be a good healer then you definitely want to keep your guys topped off constantly via HoTs.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

While we're talking about tanking and healing, I'm currently levelling a Dragon Knight with 1 hand and shield with the intention of tanking, does anyone have any useful tips or recommend skills for this? Also how well do Sorcerers do as healers?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
How should I handle stat distribution? I was told everything in to health, but want to double check.

Ganker
Jul 4, 2007
Please insert forced meme to Continue:
Can I please get an invite to Daggerfall Goons and Deconstruct Circlejerk?

@Junkz0r

Thanks!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RoboJoe posted:

Also how well do Sorcerers do as healers?

Pretty drat good. You'll be relying on the Resto staff tree completely, but you can get some ridiculous heals via massive spell damage. You also have one of the best Ults in the game (Suppression Field) which is a godsend during boss burn phases. You also have near infinite mana with Dark Conversion provided you don't need that Stamina to CC break or sprint. You also have access to a third skill bar via Overload that gives you up to 4 more skill slots (you'll need to keep Magelight/Inner Light active on that bar).

My Sorcerer is a healer first, and I'm currently running a high spell damage build (2500 with Power Surge active) that does some ridiculous burst heals with Healing Ward. My off-bar is AoE damage with my execution skill (Mage's Wrath) for burning bosses down.

I'll post my build when I get home.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
So here's a question. Can you respec into other classes in this game, or are you always going to be a sorcerer, night blade, etc. if that's what you started out as? I can't turn my sorcerer into a dragon knight, can I?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

monkeyboydc posted:

So here's a question. Can you respec into other classes in this game, or are you always going to be a sorcerer, night blade, etc. if that's what you started out as? I can't turn my sorcerer into a dragon knight, can I?

No, no class changes.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Sogol posted:

Templar with a Tank bar and Heal bar.

What's up, imperial templar buddy? You can do pretty much whatever you want until vet dungeons, but I recommend picking up a dps skill, otherwise leveling will be painful. I enjoy two-handers: rally is a stamina emergency heal, wrecking blow/executioner is about the best single-target there is, and brawler is aoe and a damage shield that scales with targets hit. Melee dps is also great practice for tanking later, as you'll learn what to block and what to interrupt, etc. And you still have access to remembrance (which is actually better with weapon damage than with spell damage), and breath of life (not as good in a stamina build, but it's my only magicka dump, and three casts is still 12k healing).

Note: two-hander is not great before the morphs, so if you want to use it, stick to your current build and just replace something with carve on one of your bars. Skills and skill trees both level up, even if the wrong weapon is used. Or you can make a special bar just for quest turn-ins. Or both! I usually start doing this in Cadwell's Silver and by the third zone, I have every single skill leveled to the morph (important because it's not clear what skills are actually helpful until you see both morphs).

monkeyboydc posted:

You can't change classes, but any race/class combination can perform any role adequately in end-game. Sometimes you'll run into a try-hard who will complain about your sub-optimal whatever, but that person is wrong.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Go ahead and be an Nord Sorcerer if you want, even if none of their passives are "optimal" for a sorcerer. Heck, be a Nightblade using a destro staff. All that matters is if you're having fun with the character you made. The minmaxers care about squeezing every little bit out of their performance in a particular class, but then they also use the combat text addons on PC and start taking the game way too seriously, removing all fun from the game itself. Hell, I saw the combat text addon and thought it was a huge and utter mess. Took away the fun of just killing and turned it into math class.
Here's how I tell if I'm doing good: Do I die against the enemies? If no, I'm doing fine. If yes, I need to change my strategy. If still yes, then why am I trying to do a world boss or public dungeon solo?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Absolutely. And even a nightblade with a destro staff is pretty great. Funnel health does the same damage as force shock, but is cheaper and you heal everyone around you for 25% of the damage done every two seconds. It's like two free stacks of healing springs at all times.

Uhh, trap sprung, I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nightblade is really good with a destro staff. All the classes are well suited to using staves since class skills are usually magicka based unless there's a morph otherwise.

I don't think racial bonuses make that huge of a difference outside of Trials, and even then only for leaderboard placement. PvP in 1v1 possibly with all other things considered equal between parties, but that's not a normal situation. Some race/class combos will inherently be able to push their dps output above others just from higher max stats but every class/race mix up you can think of will be able to put out good high dps to be able to walk through all the vet dungeons easily with a similarly well geared group that knows the dungeon. Of course, when in doubt like in any TES game, roll Dunmer.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Maybe because I'm a bit drunk right now, but I just did my first ragequit for a vet dungeon run. Veteran Fungal Grotto. Group didn't know the Gamyne Bandu fight, kept dying to the Satan Beam, and ignored me when I told them not to kill the third boss' spider adds. Took us five minutes to whittle that boss down to under 20% health for my Mages' Wrath to do only 2K damage (normally that thing hits like a truck for 20k crit).

Then they wiped at Spawn of Mephala while I was off butchering the cave section. lol.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm going to assume that every PUG in every MMO is drunk as gently caress tonight.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
It was probably my fifth gold key before I learned not to kill those spider adds. I just assumed the 90% damage reduction was a bug and enjoyed free weaving practice.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
I have yet to even try a group dungeon since poking my head in there and seeing a gigantic pile of enemies all lumped together, am I missing out on something good? Haven't visited the pvp zones yet either.

I've been breezing through the world doing all the quests I come across (while pretty underleveled compared to what I've been fighting) and now I'm in the Rift.
Once I mop up all the quests here I'm thinking I'll be about level 40. Coldharbor is the next place to go to after the Rift right?

Do I need to do more main story missions to unlock that area or will I get there by doing pact missions?

I've been saving my mage/fighter/main quests for when I run out of world quests because they all appear to level up with me.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Sounds like you're at about the right pace, the end of The Rift is level 43. The thing to avoid is being six levels over (you get no xp from combat), but even three over is fine.

You can certainly wait until the Pact quests are done before starting the Harborage, but you'll be doing those Harborage quests scaled to veteran rank 1. It could be a rude awakening depending on where you are with your character.

The group dungeons are a decent source of experience for a group of similarly-leveled people. They each have a one-time quest that give you a skill point as well as an achievement (which generates undaunted experience, leveling up that skill tree). They're easier at lower levels, so you can do them now if you want, or you can wait until they're assigned in a normal pledge (level 45+) and you'll get additional undaunted experience for doing the bronze/silver key. The keys are repeatable for undaunted experience, so you might find yourself doing all the group dungeons more than you care to.

Lastly, at least pop in to Cyrodiil and get the "how to pvp" quest. You'll get a skill point and rapid maneuver (movement speed buff that works outside of Cyrodiil as well). Also, you'll get an xp bonus and other buffs if your home campaign is doing well. That is, until the next update drops.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Personally I obsess a bit over things like getting all the skill points. Means I am in zones long after I have leveled out of them since I don't really know where all the skill points are yet. Do group dungeons usually have a skill point associated?

I need the one in Wayrest which I am guessing is also Undaunted. I am level 30, can't solo it and don't even know how to get a group. Got a random one for one of the other dungeons... The first Undaunted one I think.

Also, can you rerun the group dungeons for Undaunted exp?

I still don't know this game at all and so much of what is written seems contradictory and vague. Good in a way since bumbling through it is pretty fun as far as games go.

tgidieday posted:

What's up, imperial templar buddy?

Thanks. I was thinking of dropping a 2H skill on a bar at some point. Thanks for the encouragement to do so. May also see if I can get a werewolf bite for the passives mostly, though it seems it might be interesting with things like Red Diamond too. Been going up to Bangkorai at midnight, but no luck yet. Do you basically get a third bar with Werewolf that goes active when morphed or do you have to use up real estate for the actives?

I have been imagining that spell crit adds to heal crit chance. Is that right?

e: skill point question answered above. Thanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

All group dungeons have a skill point quest associated with them. That includes Veteran Group Dungeons as well.

Non-Veteran
Tier 1:
-Spindle
-Fungal Grotto
-Banished Cells

Tier 2:
-Darkshade Caverns
-Elden Hollow
-Wayrest Sewers

Tier 3:
-Arx Corinum
-Crypt of Hearts
-City of Ash

Tier 4:
-Volenfell
-Tempest Island
-Direfrost Keep

Tier 5:
-Blackheart Haven
-Blessed Crucible
-Selene's Web

Veteran Dungeons:
Tier 1:
-Wayrest Sewers
-Spindleclutch
-Banished Cells

Tier 2:
-Fungal Grotto
-Elden Hollow
-Darkshade Caverns
-Crypt of Hearts

Tier 3:
-City of Ash

The veteran dungeons are listed in terms of difficulty, with tier 1 being the easiest to do, and tier 3 being the hardest (and only dungeon that currently scales up to Veteran Rank 14).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Undaunted xp comes from daily pledge keys (bronze = 5, silver = 10, gold = 20) or (all?) achievements in the Dungeons/General, Group Dungeons, and Veteran Dungeons pages. 10 point achievements are 10 undaunted xp (although this being ESO, 50s give you 25, and it only goes up to level 9 and just stops :shrug:). The skills aren't great other than inner fire, but the passives are worth the effort.

Werewolf is a separate bar, thankfully. In 2.0, they made it not terrible, so it's at least worth trying for fun. I have it on all my characters because it's 15% stamina regen with no penalty.

Weapon crit works on everything stamina, spell crit works on everything magicka. For ultimates, it picks whichever does more damage (weapon or spell) and uses the associated crit.

Also, I'd like a guild invite if there's room for furry nazis. @ennuid

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Invite sent.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Can I get invite to Daggerfall Goons ? @mfny81

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Scyantific posted:

Pretty drat good. You'll be relying on the Resto staff tree completely, but you can get some ridiculous heals via massive spell damage. You also have one of the best Ults in the game (Suppression Field) which is a godsend during boss burn phases. You also have near infinite mana with Dark Conversion provided you don't need that Stamina to CC break or sprint. You also have access to a third skill bar via Overload that gives you up to 4 more skill slots (you'll need to keep Magelight/Inner Light active on that bar).

My Sorcerer is a healer first, and I'm currently running a high spell damage build (2500 with Power Surge active) that does some ridiculous burst heals with Healing Ward. My off-bar is AoE damage with my execution skill (Mage's Wrath) for burning bosses down.

I'll post my build when I get home.

That sounds good indeed, I'll keep all this in mind. I'm definitely interested in seeing your build too. Also how do you recommend I assign my attributes?

I'm currently playing around with a Sorcerer as a second character (I get altitis bad and want to try everything) so they seem fun and I like the idea of being a healer on it when I get more into dungeons.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

I've been having a blast healing on my 20-something sorcerer. I don't have to target players, so it's a lot less stressful on console than healing in other MMOs. I just make pretty sparkles.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Considering coming back after getting burned out on WoD, just as another casual every once in a while game to play when Diablo 3 (my current main game) gets old. I really liked the game, just felt a need to jump ship when everyone else did just because of fear of being alone in a ghost town and hearing horror stories at the level cap.

Is it worth it now? Specifically over another game I was considering, GW2? Which one has the more worthwhile endgame?

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I bought the game on ps4 and have been enjoying it! I realize, though, that I've pretty much stuck with the earliest-available skills and abilities for my character and would like input. I'm almost level 30, wrapping up Shadowfen as a 2h stamina nightblade? Most interested in survivability/fun vs. maximum dps, at least for now.

Going from memory since I'm not at my console at the moment:

Shadow Cloak -> Shadowy Disguise for the crit. I feel like I'm not getting the most out of the shadow tree.
Teleport Strike -> Ambush to close the distance
Cleave -> the one that gives you a shield for the initial DOT or to give me a shield against multiple enemies.
Strife -> Swallow Soul tag multiple mobs for the heal
Assassin's blade -> killer's blade as a finisher
Soul Shred -> Soul tether ult for bigger mobs

Against single enemies I pretty much mash teleport strike until they die, for multiple enemies there's a little more to it. I was wondering if I'm missing out on any excellent abilities or should watch out for some game-changers as I level. I also haven't bothered with a second weapon tree. I was assuming bow and arrow in case I ever have to stay at range, but would love input!

I've taken the passives that make sense to me, and am wearing one piece of light/heavy to skill those up, rest medium. Sperging out with researching traits for crafting because why not, and am deconstructing wood/tailor/blacksmith up to 28 but otherwise just hoarding materials.

e: I also took werewolf for the free stamina, and my bite will be up in a few days if anyone wants to join the chairwolf army.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
There's so much good stuff you'll have a hard time fitting it on two bars, which I think is a good problem to have.

If you're feeling squishy (and for me, melee nb is the squishiest in end-game), try Momentum -> Rally for emergency heals, Mark Target -> Reaper's Mark for the debuff or unreliable emergency heals, and maybe Veiled Strike -> Surprise Attack to keep the shadow armor/spell resist passive going (I still prefer Uppercut -> Wrecking Blow for the stun and synergy with Reverse Slice -> Executioner).

If you just want more damage, Death Stroke -> Soul Harvest for 20% more damage single-target (and the assassination passives) as well as Grim Focus -> Relentless Focus for 8% more damage overall and stamina regen. And don't forget to use Ambush before you pop your ultimates, it'll make them 20% more powerful.

Eventually, you'll get access to Expert Hunter -> Evil Hunter and Dawnbreaker -> Flawless Dawnbreaker on Fighter's Guild as well as the passives. Also Meteor -> Shooting Star in Mage's Guild opens up a fun possibility: hit Ambush, fire a +20% Shooting Star at a bunch of trash (you get 12 ultimate per target), switch bars to Soul Harvest (get 7 ultimate per kill), burn them down with Brawler, and your ultimate is basically back and ready to fire again.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Is the PC group still active? If so I need a reinvite : Soggygravy -> @emandelup

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 5, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Cuckoo posted:

Is it worth it now? Specifically over another game I was considering, GW2? Which one has the more worthwhile endgame?

Their PvE endgame is apples and oranges. I haven't got to ESO's endgame yet so my knowledge is more limited, but I can tell you about GW2's accurately.

ESO: When you hit level 50 and complete the personal questline, there are endgame levels that take a while to earn and that max out at V14 (soon to be V16). In addition to that, there is a separate thing to level at endgame called champion levels; those are spent on small and gradual buffs to bonuses of your choice. Examples: +physical damage dealt, +stamina regeneration, +spell resistance. So any character in Veteran rank content will have gradual increases in power to bonuses of their choosing. Gearing up at endgame is more of a big deal. Most organized PvE group content is done in groups of 4. I know that larger, organized PvE experiences exist, but I haven't seen them.

GW2: Gearing up at endgame is trivial; you can earn or buy near-best in slot items quickly. Gear progression is nearly non-existent. There isn't an alternative way to gain more power at level cap, and it doesn't sound like the cap will ever increase; once you hit level 80 and choose what gear you want, you're about done growing in power. From there, the majority of endgame revolves around progression revolves around collecting and exploring. Hunting down achievements and earning fancy new equipment skins are two big outlets. There is organized 5-man content in dungeons, but the majority of group content is open world and does not require formal grouping.

There is also another big consideration between the two: faction divides.

ESO has sharp faction divides. There are inter-faction guilds, guild chat, trade, whispers, and mail, but from there it's strictly segregated. The only zones where the factions meet is Cyrodiil, the big open PvP map. Along with split factions comes population imbalances, restricted races (unless you pay to lift that), and the inability to join other factions for gameplay unless you reroll. There is currently no way to transfer to another alliance.

GW2 has no faction divide at all except in WvW (a set of specialized open PvP maps).

So I guess it depends on your priorities. Do you feel stifled without endgame gear/power progression, or do you feel happier without the pressure of any gear treadmill? Is the prospect of exploration and collection enough to keep you going, or do you need more concrete progression? Are you okay with the split faction setup, or have you gotten burned with that in other games?

Herr Corrector
Jun 7, 2004

In the long run we're all dead.
How screwed am I going to be if I never complete the quest line offered by the Prophet? I went to his location on the map, his house, I guess. Had to pick the lock to get in and he wasn't there. Figured it was a time of day thing so I checked back later, no joy. It happened once before on another character but he found me a little later. Now I'm level 14 with still no sign of him and I really don't want to start over.

I've seen some posts from the devs that say they're working on it, but I just want to know if there's anything I absolutely need to have end game in case I can never get the quest line accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
You have to complete the Prophet's quests to access the veteran zones (level 50+ content). If you're just level 14, though, don't worry. It'll probably be fixed in time.

• Locked thread