Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jarogue posted:

In other news, Team Cat reports that they have a jackass on their team roster.

He's on dog lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Poultron posted:

Hardly busted. You can sometimes get a couple of kills off it if you have a favorable area (ie you aren't diving into enemy territory), but otherwise you mostly just use it as an emergency Bubbler. The counter to them is literally to just back the gently caress off, same as with a Bubbler.

And yeah this is why it's always been a strictly worse Bubbler, the Kraken can't be shared.

Well kraken has teamplay utility too - even if he doesn't kill them, it fucks up the enemy so you can flank them while they're dealing with it, and leaves a travel-able ink trail up walls and stuff you can follow in on. I also got a lot of kills against cats thanks to the kraken scaring the poo poo out of them into my firing arc.

Kraken + support fire is pretty drat awesome to see. *Cues Ride of the Valkyries*

Also you can use it to get deep into enemy territory and throw down beacons if that's your secondary.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Had one disconnect and two games of 3v4 in the whole time earning Dog Queen rank. USB adapter is where it's at. (Also playing good and being on team dog is where it's at)

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I agree, the Kraken's not bad now. I'm just saying it wasn't even close to busted once people realized how to deal with it. I'd say the change brings it basically in line with all the other specials in terms of direct countering, except for the Bubbler, which I think is too strong.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inflammatory posted:

lol if you think cats don't use it too, its basically the most popular weapon for some unfathomable reason.

It has great ink coverage, so good for Turf War XP but not so much splatting fools. Even on my losses I usually end with 1000-1200p, and my record's 1500 pre-win points.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Poultron posted:

I agree, the Kraken's not bad now. I'm just saying it wasn't even close to busted once people realized how to deal with it. I'd say the change brings it basically in line with all the other specials in terms of direct countering, except for the Bubbler, which I think is too strong.

Bubbler is strong for the same reasons TF2 multi-ubers are strong, yeah. Game pushes at times are practically built around when the bubbler gets a full charge - which means the bubbler should try to stay alive as much as possible. (Which means drawing a good escape route behind you and retreating a lot.)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Aerospray RG is popular because it inks terrain like nothing else and when your team is 3 or 4 of the drat things, it is a constant inkstrike rain from the heavens.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

gnome7 posted:

Aerospray RG is popular because it inks terrain like nothing else and when your team is 3 or 4 of the drat things, it is a constant inkstrike rain from the heavens.

Yeah when I was using it I always got crazy high amounts of turf ink score.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bubbler OP

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gnome7 posted:

Also because this is Turf War and it's always been a popular choice in Turf War for the ink coverage considering that kills aren't as easy (no target to cluster around) and covering turf is most important. It's also why Roller is the second most-popular class right now (mostly Krak-on, some Carbon). You basically see few, if any, blasters and chargers (and ink brushes) for the same reason.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Bubbler is strong for the same reasons TF2 multi-ubers are strong, yeah. Game pushes at times are practically built around when the bubbler gets a full charge - which means the bubbler should try to stay alive as much as possible. (Which means drawing a good escape route behind you and retreating a lot.)

I can't imagine the Bubbler doesn't get a duration nerf or something around the time party grouping comes out, where you can actually coordinate its usage properly. I don't think it's that bad right now since it's tough to tell your team "Hey, I'm going to use the Bubbler now, let's break through and regain/claim some turf." It only happens right now when teams are very very good and automatically click with each other.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
So while the maps not rotating did get a bit old, having an entire day without the mall was really, really nice. I'm going to miss it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A thing we were doing a lot during the dog victory-streak games I was in: My team would deliberately leave lots of un-inked terrain back at our back to safely use to build our specials.

I would often backtrack to ink up turf I needed for my shield bubble, then squid-jump to the front lines to pop bubble the moment we needed it. It worked amazing. Pretty much the same routine that goes into keeping a medic safe in TF2 while he builds uber.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
In normal Turf War circumstances, I could consistently get over 1500 points in every match I played with the Aerospray RG.

And that's if I lost. When you're getting that many points, win or lose, you tend not to give a poo poo about an extra 300.

Now that I'm King Dog and level 20, I super don't give a poo poo about money or points or winning. Which means I'm playing weapons that are fun. Which means Roller every match. Holy poo poo, that is the most fun weapon type in the game. I'm actually laughing and having fun because it just gets ridiculous at the Hail Mary plays I can pull off by being a giant wheeling wall of death that has a fairly decent grasp of stealth in this game.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Poultron posted:

I can't imagine the Bubbler doesn't get a duration nerf or something around the time party grouping comes out, where you can actually coordinate its usage properly. I don't think it's that bad right now since it's tough to tell your team "Hey, I'm going to use the Bubbler now, let's break through and regain/claim some turf." It only happens right now when teams are very very good and automatically click with each other.

I really hope they don't nerf bubbler. The way it is now, I am able to shadow level 6-ish players and save them from enemies, giving the inexperienced little guys a bit of force multiplier by helping the team's weakest link.

I notice the ones uneasy about hitting their targets start hitting them more often after they've been bubbled a few times, and can shoot back safely.

But yeah, bubbler is awesome in general just for the whole teamplay support aspect. I love seeing inexperienced players get more conscious of their teammates helping them when they get bubbled.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
To be honest, the special I can't cope with is bomb rush + suction bombs. All the other bombs are hot trash, but that combo fucks up the map and tilts the scores like nothing else.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Which weapon is that attached to, because I've been seeing it a lot lately, and it's very annoying.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Splash-o-Matic and Rapid Blaster Deco

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah I should note that the dog team I was with had a godlike player using a dual squealcher.

He basically murdered anything and everything. The range on that thing meant he would basically take out virtually anything at medium-long range. He would often top scoreboard with 16+ kills.

Also he was *constantly* popping the echolocator. Echolocator is loving INCREDIBLE for an organized team. Pretty much all possibility of stealth or sneaking up on back-row territory the enemy has - gone. I even got grenade kills on people behind walls thanks to it.

Also you better believe I was popping shield bubbles on him during pushes like crazy.

Suspicious Dish posted:

To be honest, the special I can't cope with is bomb rush + suction bombs. All the other bombs are hot trash, but that combo fucks up the map and tilts the scores like nothing else.

A dude on our team had that too. I would sometimes pop shield bubble on him during his spam when we were at risk of a flank in the middle of that.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 5, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It may not be the best sub weapon, but splatting people after you get splatted with the ink mine is the most satisfying thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spacedad posted:

Yeah when I was using it I always got crazy high amounts of turf ink score.

It's weird, because I was using the Aerospray and I decided to try out the carbon roller, and even though I'm covering the same amount of area I'm getting like half the points.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 5, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The Vibe meter apparently caps at 99, in case anyone on Team Dog wants to know what greatness looks like

Poultron
May 26, 2006

raditts posted:

It's weird, because I was using the Aerospray and I decided to try out the carbon roller, and even though I'm covering the same amount of area I'm getting like half the points.

The Carbon Roller has a noticeably slimmer width than the other rollers, so even though you go faster you are somewhat less likely to be able to cover the same amount of total area unless you are always moving forward.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Poultron posted:

The Carbon Roller has a noticeably slimmer width than the other rollers, so even though you go faster you are somewhat less likely to be able to cover the same amount of total area unless you are always moving forward.

Okay, next question: why the gently caress am I bouncing off people sometimes when I try to run them over? It doesn't seem to always happen, but what the gently caress is the point if you can't run people over?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Carbon roller doesn't kill in one melee hit, it needs 2 or they need to be damaged.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

raditts posted:

Okay, next question: why the gently caress am I bouncing off people sometimes when I try to run them over? It doesn't seem to always happen, but what the gently caress is the point if you can't run people over?

The Carbon Roller only deals half health in damage (about 74 points on the dummies) to players (without Defense Up?) when running into them. I'm not totally sure if it's a bug or not.

Either way rolling into people is almost never the right choice, a shotgun will do the same thing at point blank and has less of a chance of them suddenly running away from you or turning around to kill you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

raditts posted:

You trade speed for damage. The Inkbrush does the same thing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

raditts posted:

Carbon roller is the most traditional 'videogame shotgun' in this game. If you want to run people over they need to have taken 30 damage first (direct hit with the burst bomb deals just over 50 damage, for posterity's sake), but you can almost-instantly kill a person in a swipe of the roller at about Aerospray range..

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lemming posted:

Carbon roller doesn't kill in one melee hit, it needs 2 or they need to be damaged.

Doesn't the carbon roller have a longer shotgun spray, or a more powerful shotgun spray?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Yeah the rollers that don't one hit kill you're supposed to treat more like a shotgun or a club.

Or in the dynamo's case, like a wizard casting a fireball spell. o_O

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Doesn't the carbon roller have a longer shotgun spray, or a more powerful shotgun spray?

I think it's smaller, but still a one hit kill.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Biggest thing I got out of splatfest was seeing how strong the game is in organized teams, and how much the game has to offer in general - far more nuance than I thought.

They iron out matchmaking and other issues and this is basically a game that's going to be around strong for years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacedad posted:

Biggest thing I got out of splatfest was seeing how strong the game is in organized teams, and how much the game has to offer in general - far more nuance than I thought.

They iron out matchmaking and other issues and this is basically a game that's going to be around strong for years.

Yeah, it's nuts how well Nintendo nailed this genre, especially for a first attempt.

When will we know the results for Splatfest?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
When do we find out who won?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spacedad posted:

Yeah, I lucked into getting on a team with two aerosprays and a splattershot when I was trying out the carbon roller and that was a monster teamup right there.
I would have rolled with them till the end, but then a goddamn connection error broke us up and next match I was on a team with 3 other rollers :smith:

How do you friend people you've played with before? I want to play with those guys again.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

raditts posted:

Yeah, I lucked into getting on a team with two aerosprays and a splattershot when I was trying out the carbon roller and that was a monster teamup right there.
I would have rolled with them till the end, but then a goddamn connection error broke us up and next match I was on a team with 3 other rollers :smith:

How do you friend people you've played with before? I want to play with those guys again.

Home, Friend List. There should be an option to see a list of people you've played with.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Lemming posted:

When do we find out who won?

Should be just after it ends, I wager.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Poultron posted:

Should be just after it ends, I wager.

Yeah, from googling I found this, which says

quote:

Once Splatfest concludes, the results are announced during a broadcast.

So I assume it'll be 15 minutes from now. I don't see why it would need to take any longer than that, it's not like the points are being counted by hand or anything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Astro7x posted:

The Vibe meter apparently caps at 99, in case anyone on Team Dog wants to know what greatness looks like

Impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

RadicalR posted:

Home, Friend List. There should be an option to see a list of people you've played with.

Yeah that's how my dominating team all friended me later.

Astro7x posted:

Did you find out how much money Judd gives you for talking to him at 99? At 37.5 for me he game me like $4000. (Not bad, that's around 4 easy matches worth of free money.)

• Locked thread