Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

With this party, how could I not get the triple crown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tortolia posted:

OK, my Dancer/Bard/Geo/Ninja group is in world 3 and potentially able to go to the void now. Anything particular I should grab before heading in? I picked Sasuke/Assassin/Apollo as my freebie weapons. I have a max power chicken knife, two ribbons, a rainbow dress, four hermes sandals, four reflect rings and all 8 bard songs.

Also are either Omega or Shinryu doable on this group? If so, what do I need to take them out?

Bards can shut down Omega with the Stop-casting song (Romeo's Ballad or whatever). It wears off quickly, though, so you need at least two people using the song at staggered time intervals. After that it's just a matter of Sword Dancing and hucking lightning scrolls at him. To be extra safe, have three people singing, or one singing swift song while the other two sing Romeo's Ballad.

I don't think you have a good way to inflict Berserk on Shinryu, so there is.... a slow option. Put a reflect ring on someone, then kill them. Let a Necromancer enemy in the void resurrect them as a zombie. Put !Hide on everyone else. Get into the Shinryu fight and have everyone hide. Shinryu will very slowly kill himself with reflected Atomic Rays for about 200 damage a pop every couple rounds. Slow, but safe.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Time to start run 3 and go for the new Chaos option, and my first class is...Beastmaster.

Well that's quite a while to be Freelancers but sweet, I love Beastmaster.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I always forget just how many surprises Bahamut has in him. I thought I'd have an easy win since I've got a full set of Reflect Ring and everyone has !Mix (thank you Magic Pots). First fight he dropped most of my team with Earth Shaker, so I reset and dropped Levisalves (plus Dragon Shielding for good measure) on everyone. Then he nearly causes another near wipe with Poison Breath. Thankfully, between the Chicken Knife on my Chemist, Holys from White Mage, and boosted Syldra from Summoner, with the Geomancer dropping Dragon Powers everywhere, this team was hitting for 10-15k per round (depending on if CK's flee effect proc'd) and he went down pretty quickly after that.

That said, it's Void time.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i called in my fire and earth jobs early on my 750 run:

Black Mage/Summoner/Bard/Chemist

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Ilyich posted:

Took a while, but I've got 4 Flame Rings after this. The fire absorption and ice nullification should come in really handy, especially since I haven't got White Mage to heal and reduce damage with Protect and Shell.

Funny, I rolled Black Mage / Berserker / Ninja / Samurai, so I figured why not turn my BLM into a White Mage by using 4 Flame Rings. I'm still about 25k gil short after this, but I also stocked up on a crapload of scrolls and shriukens for the Ninja.

I figure I pretty much beat the game once I'm done with this farm, it's gonna be stupid. :black101:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tortolia posted:

OK, my Dancer/Bard/Geo/Ninja group is in world 3 and potentially able to go to the void now. Anything particular I should grab before heading in? I picked Sasuke/Assassin/Apollo as my freebie weapons. I have a max power chicken knife, two ribbons, a rainbow dress, four hermes sandals, four reflect rings and all 8 bard songs.

Also are either Omega or Shinryu doable on this group? If so, what do I need to take them out?

Grab the magic lamp and get Odin from Bal Castle.

That'll get you an easy kill of twintania as well as one of NED's targets.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

texasmed posted:

Funny, I rolled Black Mage / Berserker / Ninja / Samurai, so I figured why not turn my BLM into a White Mage by using 4 Flame Rings. I'm still about 25k gil short after this, but I also stocked up on a crapload of scrolls and shriukens for the Ninja.

I figure I pretty much beat the game once I'm done with this farm, it's gonna be stupid. :black101:

Holy gently caress. I think even with an emulator and turbo mode I'd probably shoot myself after grinding that much. Did you just push the auto button and run around outside Karnak for 4 hours or something? That's 405 fights with these fuckwits.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
If you silence Omni with a white Mage, do you have to keep the silence up? Can I just wail on him with my zerker when he is silenced?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

At some point I remember someone saying you can 150,000 gill in one of the fights in the last layers of the rift. How do you do that?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

At some point I remember someone saying you can 150,000 gill in one of the fights in the last layers of the rift. How do you do that?

Quicksave in the area with the save point right before Exdeath and then your second fight will be against Movers, which give you 150k gil (and 199 ABP) when you beat them.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Fun fact: Omega takes an eternity to kill when your best sources of damage are Ramuh for about 2500 and Succubus Kiss for 1-2k. To say nothing of the occasional Delta Attack that forces me to unpetrify a character and spend the next 2 rounds reapplying their !Mix buffs. But at least he's down.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Quicksave in the area with the save point right before Exdeath and then your second fight will be against Movers, which give you 150k gil (and 199 ABP) when you beat them.

That's interesting, although it does not seem to work for me.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

InfernoBlade posted:

Holy gently caress. I think even with an emulator and turbo mode I'd probably shoot myself after grinding that much. Did you just push the auto button and run around outside Karnak for 4 hours or something? That's 405 fights with these fuckwits.

Pretty much. iPhone auto battles make it easy, and combined with alcohol and TV programming it was not so mind-numbing. I'm up to 2300 kills and about ready to call it quits.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I just got past Twintania, the farthest I've ever made it in this game. I was NOT expecting Shinryu to be where he was, so I got wasted pretty quick because I went in unprepared. I shouldn't have too much trouble if I prep for it properly, as I've secured myself a Dragon Lance for my Dragoon, so I'm hoping Quick'd jumps combined with Dualcast Quick/Meteor then Meteor/Meteor will do the trick.

But :kimchi: at that Gilgamesh speech.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leofish posted:

I just got past Twintania, the farthest I've ever made it in this game. I was NOT expecting Shinryu to be where he was, so I got wasted pretty quick because I went in unprepared. I shouldn't have too much trouble if I prep for it properly, as I've secured myself a Dragon Lance for my Dragoon, so I'm hoping Quick'd jumps combined with Dualcast Quick/Meteor then Meteor/Meteor will do the trick.

But :kimchi: at that Gilgamesh speech.

Shinryu is basically invincible to standard assaults. Since you have a Time Mage though, you can Quickleak him if you have a Poison Rod handy.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Even at level 50 my Samurai and three berserkers can't beat Neo Exdeath. The main problem is grand cross, it basically guarantees my samurai stops her gil toss spam and becomes immobilized.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's interesting, although it does not seem to work for me.

If you're playing the European version/iOS of the game they fixed that, in which case you'll just have to try and encounter them legitimately, it's a 6% chance to run into them.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Alabaster White posted:

Shinryu is basically invincible to standard assaults. Since you have a Time Mage though, you can Quickleak him if you have a Poison Rod handy.

It's dirty, but I already did it to Omega, so, all right. I still have two or three poison rods left.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

gently caress Your Evil poo poo 101 is now dismissed, and all these fuckers are receiving full marks. :black101:

Anyway, that's Run #3 with triple crown #2 down. I think I'll do a Random run next. I got Samurai and Dancer in the first (Chaos) run, and I've had Chemist for the last two, so I'm hoping to minimize my chances of Earth jobs for variety.

Please, gimme Black or Time Mage this time, Gilgabot.

EDIT: First job is Blue Mage. Yet again. Now I sympathize more with Kyrosiris getting Bard over and over.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 5, 2015

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
I'm doing my first FF5 playthrough for the fiesta. Absolutely love the game, will totally play it again next year. Though maybe I'm liking it so much because my class layout is supposedly really good: Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist.

I'm about level 40 across the board and stuck on the final boss. I think it's probably because he's the only one that's challenged me so far. I haven't been used to losing yet.

I know you can hit part of the final boss with break. Does Catoblepas work for that?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

PrivateEyeball posted:

I'm doing my first FF5 playthrough for the fiesta. Absolutely love the game, will totally play it again next year. Though maybe I'm liking it so much because my class layout is supposedly really good: Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist.

I'm about level 40 across the board and stuck on the final boss. I think it's probably because he's the only one that's challenged me so far. I haven't been used to losing yet.

I know you can hit part of the final boss with break. Does Catoblepas work for that?

It does, but he's got, what, 80 Magic Evade? It's not all that reliable. But you've got Chemist, so you're good. Consult this and this and get ready to wreck face. You can even take the superbosses! Shinryu should go down easily enough to Berserk + Dark Sigh + Golem (just make sure to recast it every time Shinryu lands a hit). Omega will require a lot more work and setup, but he's doable too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Schwartzcough posted:

Bards can shut down Omega with the Stop-casting song (Romeo's Ballad or whatever). It wears off quickly, though, so you need at least two people using the song at staggered time intervals. After that it's just a matter of Sword Dancing and hucking lightning scrolls at him. To be extra safe, have three people singing, or one singing swift song while the other two sing Romeo's Ballad.

Thanks for this, it eventually worked. I ultimately spent the first part of the battle with two people stopping Omega, one boosting speed and one boosting levels; later I started having Bartz chicken dance for 7k a pop due to the status boosts and moved everyone else to full Stop duty. Still took a lot of attempts and luck but a win is a win. First ever Omega kill and at level 37, no less.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Water job in my Random run... Black Mage? FINALLY.

Now all I need is Time Mage for one of the last two and... well, it'd make for a really fragile team to go with the Blue Mage I started with, but it'd still be awesome.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Woo, first Triple Crown. Thank you Time Mage and Quickleak :v:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Wrapped up Run #8

No real way to take out Omega effectively with this bunch (Ramuh only did 900 damage) but maybe I'll get something that can take him out next time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So far for my Chaos run: Beastmaster, Geomancer, Bard.

Go Team Fire Crystal?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
NED's dead baby.

Also these two losers.

Second fiesta, first win. Much obliged to everybody in IRC who put up with my inane questions and urged me to do crazy stuff like take on Omniscient with zero magic and berserk Shinryu.

Super special thanks though to my long-time friend Twelve by Pies who got me into FFV and the FJF in the first place.

EDIT: For fun I decided to keep track of my party wipes. Overall I saw 17 game overs.
  1. Liquid Flame (BOSS) - BERSERKER BIG HELP FIGHT BOSS YEP YEP
  2. Skull Eater - Just flee already, flee already, COME ON FLEE gaaah
  3. Bio Soldier - Ambushed at low health having just escaped Jachol Cave with the goods
  4. Soul Cannon (BOSS) - Utterly annihilated
  5. Zombie Dragon, Bone Dragon - Poison spam
  6. Antlion (BOSS) - Forgot to fix my setup after taking down Exdeath with a triple !Release
  7. Objet d'Art - Chest ambush, party "Broken"
  8. Ankheg - Random encounter on turbo mode
  9. Chrono Controller - Meteo shower
  10. Omega (BOSS) - Oops
  11. Omega (BOSS) - Remain calm, remain calm, remain WAIT WRONG NO AAAAA
  12. Omega (BOSS) - Immediate opening Atomic Ray
  13. Necromancer, Gorgimera - Night of the living dead, no holy water
  14. Iron Giant x2 - No mercy for cowards
  15. Shinryu (BOSS) - Immediate opening Tidal Wave
  16. Neo Exdeath (BOSS) - "The laws of the universe mean nothing"
  17. Neo Exdeath (BOSS) - Meteo, Almagest, Meteo, Meteo

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 5, 2015

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

World 2 Exdeath is not fun when you can only control one extremely squishy character who has basically nothing to contribute to the fight because only two songs have any utility in this fight at all and one of them involves giving up all control.

Back to the grind I go. :sigh: I miss having 37 as an endgame level.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Got my Fire and just now my Earth jobs. Random team is Blue Mage / Black Mage / Thief / Ninja (almost had Team Wind Crystal for a bit there).

...this is one fragile as hell team. Also I'm guessing Omega is out of the question on this one. Shinryu is probably doable with Wonder Wand + !Image, so at least there's that.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I'm at Exdeath World 2 with my Black/Time/MK/Geo team. All about lvl 30. I don't have any Reflect rings. Is there anything I can do besides grind?
It seeming breaking rods at this point isn't super helpful either as I'm doing more damage with the -ga level spells already.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Well, dammit. Titan's Earth Shaker is a big OHKO to my entire tissue paper party, and I can't see any way around it. He's immune to any status I can hit him with (except Paralyze, but that's through Death Claw and he's Heavy), Dark Spark won't help since he's already level 1, and I have no sources of Shell or Float (or Confuse for getting Gaelicats to cast Float for me). I also had an idea to run him out of MP with Magic Hammer, but a quick glance at the Algorithms FAQ informs me that Earth Shaker costs 0 MP, so that's out too.

I... I may actually have to... level grind. :negative:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Well, dammit. Titan's Earth Shaker is a big OHKO to my entire tissue paper party, and I can't see any way around it. He's immune to any status I can hit him with (except Paralyze, but that's through Death Claw and he's Heavy), Dark Spark won't help since he's already level 1, and I have no sources of Shell or Float (or Confuse for getting Gaelicats to cast Float for me). I also had an idea to run him out of MP with Magic Hammer, but a quick glance at the Algorithms FAQ informs me that Earth Shaker costs 0 MP, so that's out too.

I... I may actually have to... level grind. :negative:

What's your whole team?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Alabaster White posted:

What's your whole team?

Blue Mage / Black Mage / Thief / Ninja

A rather impressive lack of hit points on this team, which is the problem. If I just had one tank I could let that class drag the other two through the post-battle screens, but as it is I think the only solution I have is to get more HP.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Blue Mage / Black Mage / Thief / Ninja

A rather impressive lack of hit points on this team, which is the problem. If I just had one tank I could let that class drag the other two through the post-battle screens, but as it is I think the only solution I have is to get more HP.

That's a pretty beefy team offensively. You can probably win in a straight up damage race, and if you keep spamming Vampire with your Blue Mage, you should be able to survive the parting Earth Shaker. If that's still too slow, there's always Rods...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Alabaster White posted:

That's a pretty beefy team offensively. You can probably win in a straight up damage race, and if you keep spamming Vampire with your Blue Mage, you should be able to survive the parting Earth Shaker. If that's still too slow, there's always Rods...

Oh, killing him isn't the problem. Earth Shaker really is a party wipe at my current levels (16-17). I was hoping to keep my team a bit lower level than I'd been doing, but as it is ES is just a bit too much (about 500 against classes that have about 412-427 HP). Oh well, I guess 1-2 (maybe 3) levels won't be too much.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

D_W posted:

I'm at Exdeath World 2 with my Black/Time/MK/Geo team. All about lvl 30. I don't have any Reflect rings. Is there anything I can do besides grind?
It seeming breaking rods at this point isn't super helpful either as I'm doing more damage with the -ga level spells already.

Your team should be able to take on Exdeath at that level. Which part of the fight is giving you trouble? Do you have Hastega and Float up? Is your Mystic Knight using Drain Spellblade? Are you vulnerable to Level 3 Flare?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Apparently the second verse is going to be the same as the first. Run 9 is now Bard/Bard/???/???. :v:

Really tempted to unlock the other two early and see if I've been chosen to run four bards.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Your team should be able to take on Exdeath at that level. Which part of the fight is giving you trouble? Do you have Hastega and Float up? Is your Mystic Knight using Drain Spellblade? Are you vulnerable to Level 3 Flare?

Well... it wasn't easy, but I was able to beat him. He kept killing any of my mages the turn after I would revive them, but I was able to get in enough damage to finish him off with my MK.

EDIT:
This game is very silly

D_W fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Run 2 gives me ranger/dragoon/samurai/beast master. Almost through world 2 already and having a serious cakewalk. Not really worried about anything normal this run but I'd like to go for a triple crown for the first time. I didn't even bother trying shinryu on my first run but he seems doable with this group. No idea about omega though.

• Locked thread