Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I roll the full matching sporty look with varsity, red converse and a cap. It's a pretty good thematic combo! Gas masks are loving stupid-looking as all hell though.

Has Nintendo said if they're going to be releasing new gear as time goes on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I rock the varsity jacket and red hi-tops because it's fresh as hell, end of story. I'll swap between the beanie and contacts depending on my mood.

Stats be damned, I'm looking fresh to death.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Has Nintendo said if they're going to be releasing new gear as time goes on?

They've literally already done that, so...

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I already have the vest, boots and cap. I wish you could change their bodytypes too, so I could make my Inkling into a bonafide fat trucker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Judge Tesla posted:

This is a PSA for the loyal brothers and sisters of Team Pop.

Though we stand to lose this Splatfest, know that you made a noble choice in forgoing Rock, we may lose the war but the Pop in our hearts will shine on eternally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ADh8Fs3YdU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BattleMaster posted:

The gasmask could be cool if people didn't wear it with the douche jacket every time and wore some kind of matching black top, but I think the ability is incredibly debatable if min/maxing is the goal.

Like Aerospray RG (suspiciously absent from the illustration)/Gasmask/Varsity Jacket/Blue Moto Boots has to be a third to a half of what I see people wearing in turf war and I have no idea why and it makes me a little angry because it's not even full-on minmaxing and there has to be some guide or a miiverse post or something telling everyone to wear it

Edit: I thought it was popular at first because of people cosplaying Captain N with the Zapper or something but I don't think that's it

Well I think I'm gonna do that now as my next gimmick.

Wonder what headpiece to wear.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Spacedad posted:

Well I think I'm gonna do that now as my next gimmick.

Wonder what headpiece to wear.

Red Hi-tops, contact lenses to get rid of the headwear

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

Red Hi-tops, contact lenses to get rid of the headwear

Contact lenses?? :confused:

Closest thing I see to headgear-less head is the hairclip. I have the amiibos, so yay.

Also looks like I'll be able to sea shell my way to a full-stat mecha suit.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Spacedad posted:

Contact lenses?? :confused:

Sometimes the headgear shop sells a one-star "contact lenses" item which don't alter the Inkling's appearance in any way, so basically it's a no-headgear mode.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Cabbagepots posted:

Sometimes the headgear shop sells a one-star "contact lenses" item which don't alter the Inkling's appearance in any way, so basically it's a no-headgear mode.

That's cool. I'll keep an eye out for them - more outfit options with that.

The inkling hairclip may work all right for now though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cabbagepots posted:

They actually do but you need lighter eyes to see it. My inkling has hazel eyes and it's barely visible; forget it if you have brown, etc..

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
If Team Dog won, I can assume my experience was in the minority, possibly combined with more frequent mismatches in favor of Dog (ie - matches of 3v4 or worse). Lost slightly more than I won, with every win being pretty hard fought.

As for gear, I sport the Amiibo clip and schoolgirl outfit with the cream basic shoes. It's like... the most perfectly matching outfit that also has a cute skirt. Everyone else has to wear shorts or whatever but I'm rocking a skirt. Gas mask isn't amazing or anything, but people wear it because it's so different from all the other gear in the game. I mean, there are a ton of baseball caps that are just differently patterned or colored, or worn slightly differently. Why bother with that poo poo. I think they need to go deeper down the rabbit hole and have more weird poo poo along the lines of the gas mask, and less "t-shirt/hoodie/baseball cap/high tops reprint #74832." Just rip off a bunch of poo poo from TF2. Fireman's helmet, beanie with a spinner on the top, suit jacket, tophat, fedora, etc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gas Mask is a Tenacity hat, that's reason enough to use it. I'm not sure why it's such a deal that people actively trash it, but whatever.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

dogsicle posted:

Gas Mask is a Tenacity hat, that's reason enough to use it. I'm not sure why it's such a deal that people actively trash it, but whatever.

Could honestly care less what other people wear in this game though. Wear a clowsuit or a gimmick - it's all good. I'm still just going to splat you.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
At first I was losing a lot on Team Cat because I was using a Kelp Splatterscope but then I switched to an Aerospray RG and went on a huge hawtstreak.

I guess Splatterscopes are better for Splat Zones than Turf War.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Eat poo poo cats. Like dogs.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
HAHAHA 24 SUPER SEA SNAILS GET hosed CATS

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dogs only won because of votes? That's kind of a let down. "Yeah they got outplayed but more people wanted them to win so w/e"

Edit: Dogs shouldn't tell cats to eat poo poo when they lost the actual "who's good at the game" side of things :shobon:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
GET hosed CATTE LOVERS

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dogs only won because of votes? That's kind of a let down. "Yeah they got outplayed but more people wanted them to win so w/e"

This is why the splatfest teams need to be 50-50 randomized instead of votes.

I like dogs. I like cats. I could support either.

absolutely anything posted:

HAHAHA 24 SUPER SEA SNAILS GET hosed CATS

Same amount here too - how many did the cat kings/queens get?

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 5, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spacedad posted:

This is why the splatfest teams need to be 50-50 randomized instead of votes.

I like dogs. I like cats. I could support either.

I'm not sure if forcing sides would make everyone happy but would certainly help keep things from being too lopsided. Said it before that I'm fine with either winning, it just kinda sucks that cats lost ONLY because they didn't have the higher number of votes.

Edit: Cat Kings/Queens got 18

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: Dogs shouldn't tell cats to eat poo poo when they lost the actual "who's good at the game" side of things :shobon:

51% to 49% is well within reasonable statistical uncertainty if the matcheswere just a coin flip so it's not really outplayed lol.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Team Dog know in their hearts that their skills are inferior and their victory hollow.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Big proof images of the Splatfest results.

Jesus Christ, Team Dog nearly had twice the players that Team Cat did, yet we still squeezed out a higher win ratio.

...Aaand we still lost. gently caress.

Oh well, at least I got 18 snails out of it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dang it indeed. It's really dumb that just picking a side counts toward the score.

Do we keep the titles in any way? Cat King is too loving good to only have for a day.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 5, 2015

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Dogs won the popularity contest, which means they take the whole thing? gently caress you.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Cabbagepots posted:

Dogs won the popularity contest, which means they take the whole thing? gently caress you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whoa what is this, Salt Spray Rig isn't on the rotation

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BattleMaster posted:

51% to 49% is well within reasonable statistical uncertainty if the matcheswere just a coin flip so it's not really outplayed lol.

Being 2% better is still outplaying the other people though! It's not a huge wide margin but a spades a spade y'know.

That was fun regardless though, can't wait for the next splatfest in any event... man it's loving jarring going back to that death metal grung bullshit song after a day of the sisters singing nonstop.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure if forcing sides would make everyone happy but would certainly help keep things from being too lopsided. Said it before that I'm fine with either winning, it just kinda sucks that cats lost ONLY because they didn't have the higher number of votes.

Edit: Cat Kings/Queens got 18

Oh that's no so bad.

The reward for losing is still really good for king/queens. Basically *everyone* wins for participating in splatfest and gets really good rewards.

My only beef is how hosed the matchmaking is if voting is skewed.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Judge Tesla posted:

This is a PSA for the loyal brothers and sisters of Team Pop.

Though we stand to lose this Splatfest, know that you made a noble choice in forgoing Rock, we may lose the war but the Pop in our hearts will shine on eternally.

Whatever all music is RnB anyway

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

BattleMaster posted:

Whoa what is this, Salt Spray Rig isn't on the rotation

Whole lot of crybaby cats in this thread right now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm just happy that I can stop hating team cat members.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Aw. Super Sea Snails don't let you reroll the main stat on your gear? Dang.

The skirt will continue to be too fresh not to use, though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I knew dogs were worse at this game. Vindicated.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Being 2% better is still outplaying the other people though! It's not a huge wide margin but a spades a spade y'know.

That was fun regardless though, can't wait for the next splatfest in any event... man it's loving jarring going back to that death metal grung bullshit song after a day of the sisters singing nonstop.

It's not necessarily as better as you think, because winning only a handful more matches and rounding to the closest integer that isn't the same and adds up with the other one to 100% will also give you 51% and 49%.

I'd actually love to see the numbers because assuming the matchmaking didn't put too many undermanned teams against full ones you should expect a drat near 50-50 win rate across however many thousands or millions of matches were held no matter what.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

It's not necessarily as better as you think, because winning only a handful more matches and rounding to the closest integer that isn't the same and adds up with the other one to 100% will also give you 51% and 49%.

I'd actually love to see the numbers because assuming the matchmaking didn't put too many undermanned teams against full ones you should expect a drat near 50-50 win rate across however many thousands or millions of matches were held no matter what.

Shhhh, there there, it's ok. Your team was more popular, so that means you won! Good Job! :)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What I'm seeing is the team that lost more trying to talk around the fact that they lost more.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lemming posted:

Shhhh, there there, it's ok. Your team was more popular, so that means you won! Good Job! :)

Well yeah because if cats were actually better they could have used the 2x weighting on performance to eke out a win :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

You're certainly emblematic of the passive-aggressiveness of your pet of choice.

Meanwhile, I'm happy for the many kids who voted "dog" and were rewarded.

• Locked thread