Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So thrilled at the news of Team Dog's victory.

Hurry up and announce the next one, Nintendo!! And don't schedule it during a holiday this time :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

Well played #teamcatte, maybe next time people will actually like cattes.

Till next time!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wasn't expecting SomethingAwful to ever be a place where using "doge" and "catte" is acceptable

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

rhoga posted:

Eat crow like the cats you are.

I was Team Dog.

Also Cats still won in terms of battles won so I was still right.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

If a meme is cute enough it becomes transcendent

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Someone cap how dawn looks since I'll probably miss it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Huh, apparently the last Japanese Splatfest ended the same way where the smaller team got blown out due to popularity but won the battle part. How did Rice and Bread go? If it honestly is just popularity winning things for people I think it should be re-looked at.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I would support a switch to being assigned teams

Or not w/e

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

raditts posted:

Sea snails. You can use them to add more sub-abilities to your clothes when you reach level 20 (maximum of 3 slots). You get six more of them if your team won. Apparently that's enough for a lot of people to be big blubbery newborn baby bitches about.

So you can't use the snails until you hit level 20? That's a bummer. I think I'm level 15 now? I'll get there eventually. Still have to finish off single player!

Reflecting back on Splatfest (and the smashed tablet video), I have never been so glad that a game has absolutely no in-game voice or chat. I can just imagine that everyone around me is having a good time whether winning or losing (like me!). :3:

I lost a game yesterday, by .4 percent! I thought that was hilarious. The thought that there's someone out there smashing their controller in rage makes the whole thing take a much darker turn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snuffman posted:

I lost a game yesterday, by .4 percent! I thought that was hilarious. The thought that there's someone out there smashing their controller in rage makes the whole thing take a much darker turn.

I'd pay good money to hear what the other team had to say when losing by 0.1%. It has happened once or twice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Huh, apparently the last Japanese Splatfest ended the same way where the smaller team got blown out due to popularity but won the battle part. How did Rice and Bread go? If it honestly is just popularity winning things for people I think it should be re-looked at.

Rice crushed Bread on all fronts, if I recall correctly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snuffman posted:

So you can't use the snails until you hit level 20? That's a bummer. I think I'm level 15 now? I'll get there eventually. Still have to finish off single player!

Reflecting back on Splatfest (and the smashed tablet video), I have never been so glad that a game has absolutely no in-game voice or chat. I can just imagine that everyone around me is having a good time whether winning or losing (like me!). :3:

Matches are over so fast and you can bail on a lobby so easily the most that happens is I get super frustrated with the team I'm on, maybe use the fabled "What the gently caress are they doing?!" and then bail to the next lobby where I'm back to being chill.

Seriously though I had a match where I killed the entire enemy team- literally all four of them and I was somehow the only one trying to move forward. One of my teammates somehow died and I don't even understand how :psyduck: Situations like that get to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roland Jones posted:

Rice crushed Bread on all fronts, if I recall correctly.

They had so many more grains on their side :ohdear:.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd pay good money to hear what the other team had to say when losing by 0.1%. It has happened once or twice.

I lost by 0.2% and you kinda just accept it and kick yourself for not covering that little exposed bit at the back of the base you missed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed Cuttlefish dancing to the Splatfest music at the Octo Valley entrance. He goes away if you come close enough but that's a great touch.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's a law of nature that if you ever kill three enemy teammates and assume you've got an advantage, the fourth one is always simultaneously busy killing your three teammates.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SL the Pyro posted:

Big proof images of the Splatfest results.

Jesus Christ, Team Dog nearly had twice the players that Team Cat did, yet we still squeezed out a higher win ratio.

...Aaand we still lost. gently caress.

Oh well, at least I got 18 snails out of it.

I demand a recount.

Team cat are the real winners :smith:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This isn't in the OP, I checked. It should be.

splatoon_ranked.jpg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's a law of nature that if you ever kill three enemy teammates and assume you've got an advantage, the fourth one is always simultaneously busy killing your three teammates.

Come on guys, we can push them right to their spawn!.... Guys? Guys?...:ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snuffman posted:

This isn't in the OP, I checked. It should be.

splatoon_ranked.jpg

I will correct this grievous mistake.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I lost by 0.2% and you kinda just accept it and kick yourself for not covering that little exposed bit at the back of the base you missed.

Yeah but if you turned around to paint the base then maybe the rest of the game would've been a disaster

Isn't this what the butterfly effect was about

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's this little sense of camaraderie you get when see the results screen, and realize that the other MVP was probably yelling at their TV too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Win rate is worth twice the amount and you guys only eeked out a higher win rate.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bown posted:

I really wasn't expecting SomethingAwful to ever be a place where using "doge" and "catte" is acceptable
This place is as meme filled as the rest of the internet, they're just less giant image macros and more 30 dollar emoji :shibe:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mmmm tears are so tasty.

Also that poo poo is totally me in ranked but I know no one can hear me so it's ok.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Losing is no biggie though, still got a ton of sea snails. Time to ascend my low stat but fresh looking gear.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Snuffman posted:

splatoon_ranked.jpg

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT: Reminder to Eurogoons, can you get a shot of dawn approaching in recon during the last 15 minutes of Splatfest? That was cool and I am sorry that most Americans missed out on that detail

Here you go

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

What if instead of product vs product Splatfests, we could do political referendums this way? I think Nintendo missed an opportunity by holding Pop vs Rock on the same day as the Greek credit referendum. Do you think Callie or Marie would represent team OXI???

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Still waiting on Waffles vs Pancakes.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Whoa I just had the weirdest group of lag spikes ever - tower was speeding back and forth all over the place super fast and regardless of which team was controlling it

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Suaimhneas posted:

Here you go

I saw it in the battle maps (hence the request for recon), not in the lobby.

EDIT: But someone in #splagoons says they didn't see it in recon. Maybe it's only in battle?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 5, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Oh. I don't know what you mean by recon, oh well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something of note with the Rock vs Pop Splatfest is it lead to some regular, absolutely brutal, shutouts on Team Pop. This is just me rambling, but I reckon it might've incidentally split the older and younger players along those groups to the point we all rocked out as old codgers while humiliating Pop-loving kids.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is it my imagination, or does the tower move slightly faster with more inklings on it?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

Is it my imagination, or does the tower move slightly faster with more inklings on it?

The tower moves faster when you're regaining lost ground, and returns to normal speed when you catch up to the furthest point you reached before. That's probably what you're seeing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You can use Super Sea Snails before level 20. I hit 17 over Splatfest and Spyke gave me the option as soon as I talked to him. The rewards screen even says "hey, go talk to Spyke to find out what these are for."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish they'd just copied TF2 wholesale and had the tower explode in a shower of ink when it reaches the endzone.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish they'd just copied TF2 wholesale and had the tower explode in a shower of ink when it reaches the endzone.

The "Make it Rain" mode that's coming does just that :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

How long did it take for the results to come through after the USA Splatfest? The EU one just ended.

• Locked thread