Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xun posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but w/e! I'm looking to commission a simplified/stylized vector of a dumb warhammer thing so I can get it printed onto a shirt. What kind of price should I be offering and where do I even look for artists? I was gona post in SA mart but I don't feel comfortable with the commission style in there. I don't like the idea of having multiple people do your commission and then you pay one :( This wont be used for any commercial stuff I just want a cool/dumb nerd shirt.

I'm sure someone you pay could do this better, but I'm procrastinating. Click for mega-huge.

Vector file:
https://mega.nz/#!fkM23IJL!QgHCJxzRw0T4nDhBiMoGETruq061bYIX1z3wcChSyds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ah, I don't think I explained myself very well. Kind of want an artist to make their own interpretation of that dumb 40k cogwheel with a limited color pallet and hard shadows? Not quite sure how to explain myself

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

If someone wants to pick it up where I left off, I suck at illustrator
2000x2000 png

.ai and .svg files
https://mega.co.nz/#!i4k3ibzC!ozOoOgujsxQ7l8Ttlz3VoZOuxFzNcipIJsoyrEdQE9Y
https://mega.co.nz/#!O0tgASDD!1FhEhbQpXPAMHj2AaN5MXZ9aZdfAGM6nIzDpDcRLcuA

edit: Another one

No idea how to delete background in illustrator :effort:

https://mega.co.nz/#!GosgTLKK!3RxFGFKVAGR6hK5Y-y47J3HpaDPky6I0Lgfxs6Brv4I
https://mega.co.nz/#!XgEWnSxA!S7UMXCL7WyZsBCWYTjW2Ho7DdzQSlrdgN7rcBDrx9dI

Strotski fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 26, 2015

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think the only way to have no background is to save it as a PNG, although you can accidentally add one if it has a 'matte' when you choose to save the file for web.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
im picking up a new hobby

the shrink said it was healthier way to express my outlets or some poo poo

so i want to make animated gifs and stuff

I have photoshop, so what is the best way to go about it? printscreen like cray and load the frames into phodoshop

or can a capture program do it better for smoother frames? if so, what is a good capture program

sorry for several questions, i just need a general direction thanks in advance

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Get gooncam
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Problem suddenly popped up in Illustrator CC 2015:

When I add a stroke to this particular shape (including the master that I haven't edited in months -- this is the dye-sub panel of a garment), an extra block of color gets added to this one corner in the same color as the stroke.

Without stroke:

with stroke:

The extra color is not selectable, and I've tried Expanding the shape, both with and without stroke. When I Expand and include the stroke, the glitch disappears, until I add a new stroke, and then it comes back. This problem just suddenly appeared this morning, and I have been working with this shape/file every day for many months with no issues.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Is there an open path? Like, it's not completely closed? Or is there a clipping path in there/it's set as one? When a clipping path is colored you can't select the fill part.

That's all I got without actually being able to fart around with the file.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
The only way I can replicate that behaviour is by making the shape a clipping mask and putting a bunch of lines inside it. This would also explain why it disappears when you expand. I guess it's possible that you toggled "draw inside" while you had the shape selected and then accidentally drew some shapes inside it.

If you toggle outlines (ctrl + y, or view > outlines) do you see anything that shouldnt be there? Can you right click the shape and "release clipping mask"?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

forgot to thank you for this

thanks <3

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread where we can talk about established artists and discuss the similarities in their work? Like if I wanted to say Jackson Pollock was clearly influenced by Titian and get some discussion going on my brilliant theory...or things like that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does this forum do any sort of writing "jams" of the sort that happens in the game dev forums for game development? Like "You have a week/month to write a story for this theme, then we judge it and declare the winners whoo (but really anyone who actually completes something for it is a winner)" sort of thing?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Does this forum do any sort of writing "jams" of the sort that happens in the game dev forums for game development? Like "You have a week/month to write a story for this theme, then we judge it and declare the winners whoo (but really anyone who actually completes something for it is a winner)" sort of thing?

Yes we do. We got the Thunderdome which is a weekly short/flash fiction contest with prompts, judges and all that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539

And while you should feel good for just submitting, do understand that it's the norm for bad stories to get really scathing critiques. It's all part of the fun though and you learn a lot by seeing what people like in your stories and what they absolutely hate.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

raging bullwinkle posted:

The only way I can replicate that behavior is by making the shape a clipping mask and putting a bunch of lines inside it. This would also explain why it disappears when you expand. I guess it's possible that you toggled "draw inside" while you had the shape selected and then accidentally drew some shapes inside it.

If you toggle outlines (ctrl + y, or view > outlines) do you see anything that shouldnt be there? Can you right click the shape and "release clipping mask"?

This couldn't be the case, because it happens in every file that has this shape, even ones I made many months ago and haven't opened since. It's totally bizarre.

And I have a completely different problem, also with Illustrator -- Here's what happens to Finder when I browse for a file using File --> Open in Illustrator:

I have to stretch the preview pane waaaay out to see even part of the image. If the width of the preview pane is at default, it appears to be empty. Boy, took me a while to figure out what was going on. Browsing through Finder by itself (or in another app like PS) works fine, though. This is CC 2015.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Lincoln posted:

This couldn't be the case, because it happens in every file that has this shape, even ones I made many months ago and haven't opened since. It's totally bizarre.

Can you separate the shape out into its own file and upload it somewhere? I can at least tell you if it does the same thing on my machine.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

raging bullwinkle posted:

I went to buy a quite average looking photo off getty the other day and it was priced at $2,500. Who is buying that stuff?
At $2500 you're probably looking at an exclusive commercial license or an extremely high print run/term. Most royalty free images will top out at a few hundred, and rights managed it depends on what you want it for and how famous the photographer/specific photo is. (If they let you use it for anything but editorial use to begin with)

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I'm a drawing beginner and I just finished Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. What book should I go for next if I want to focus on learning anatomical/figure drawings?

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I enjoy the production side of audio/radio/podcasting things like editing and story structure, but I don't like talking into the mic. I'm quite experienced in this and have helped others realise their productions before, it's something I really love but haven't done lately. Where can I go to help people with their audio productions? I don't want any money for my time, I just want to spend my time doing something I like.

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady
Is there a way for me to assign the eyedropper tool in Photoshop to automatically go back to the brush tool?

I just want to hold down 'i' and release it for it to go back to brush instead of keep hitting i'i' then 'b' a lot.
I just purchased a Nostromo (Tartarus) pad and Its working wonders for my painting workflow but I cant seem to get this one thing to work. Is it possible?

edit- apparently its just the alt key -____-

Electricb7 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 10, 2015

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Tangentially related, theres also a way to switch between any tool without hitting hotkeys again: if you hold down a hotkey, do whatever you needed to do, and then let go of the hotkey, it switches back to your last tool. So for example, if you're drawing with the brush tool and then hold E, do some erasing, and then let go of E, it'll automatically go back to the brush tool without you having to push B again.

I didn't know Photoshop had this functionality and my tools mysteriously switching around was driving me crazy. It'd save a keypress if you're used to it, though.

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady
Now this one isn't as easy as my last... I think. I could be missing something super easy as usual.

I'm trying to assign the color wheel in Photoshop (alt+shift+right click) to my Keypad. I'm trying to apply the macro sequence in correctly and nothing seems to work. The wheel either disappears after a second, refreshes so fast that it crashes my beast rig with 16gb of ram, or wont go away after I release the assigned key. There are so many macro sequences Iv tried and a lot more to go and its somewhat annoying to get right through trial and error.

Anyone got a clue?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't know if you guys can help but while using Word 2013, certain accented Polish characters (i.e. ć, ń, ó, ś, ź, ą, ę) are not showing up with some 3rd party fonts I purchased (Equity, Concourse, and Triplicate). When I cut and past a those characters into a document Word swaps them for a system font (Arial, Calibri, or Times New Roman) regardless of the source and even if I chose "Paste unformatted text". Character Map also displays them as a question mark inside of a square. The font creator lists those characters in the character set and even explicitly says that Polish is supported.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
There's a graphic artist who does caricature-y digital images of real people. I've seen his work in major magazines. I'd like to use a similar style for t-shirts for a work function but don't want to rip anyone off. Any feedback would be appreciated- thanks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If there's a better thread to ask this, just let me know and I'll take it there. I'm working with an animated gif and don't remember how to do masking so that only a small part of the image actually changes from frame to frame. Using Photoshop CC.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Tangentially related, theres also a way to switch between any tool without hitting hotkeys again: if you hold down a hotkey, do whatever you needed to do, and then let go of the hotkey, it switches back to your last tool. So for example, if you're drawing with the brush tool and then hold E, do some erasing, and then let go of E, it'll automatically go back to the brush tool without you having to push B again.

I didn't know Photoshop had this functionality and my tools mysteriously switching around was driving me crazy. It'd save a keypress if you're used to it, though.

Every time I think I have my Photoshop shortcuts figured out, I learn something like this. God drat, that's great.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

prinneh posted:

I enjoy the production side of audio/radio/podcasting things like editing and story structure, but I don't like talking into the mic. I'm quite experienced in this and have helped others realise their productions before, it's something I really love but haven't done lately. Where can I go to help people with their audio productions? I don't want any money for my time, I just want to spend my time doing something I like.

I know a podcast group which is just getting started and could use some help. Email the leader Kcardassian (at) gmail.com if you're interested.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I wanna make an interactive hula girl* where the gravity of the clothing is somewhat realistic. So depending on where the user pulls from, the clothing bounces around in the correct direction and the amount of force on the pull effects how much the springback is. What adobe program(s) should I use to make it.

*it's not actually a hula girl, it's actually a cartoon of a friend with nipple tassels, but I figure the idea is similar. Maybe imagine it as using bobble head doll mechanics? I can't find an example of what I want to do online, which kind of surprised me since it seems like a fairly simple thing to do for people who actually know what they are doing. I do not, but feel it is a good use of my time to learn how to do so.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Koalas March posted:

I know a podcast group which is just getting started and could use some help. Email the leader Kcardassian (at) gmail.com if you're interested.

Thank you!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bored posted:

I wanna make an interactive hula girl* where the gravity of the clothing is somewhat realistic. So depending on where the user pulls from, the clothing bounces around in the correct direction and the amount of force on the pull effects how much the springback is. What adobe program(s) should I use to make it.

*it's not actually a hula girl, it's actually a cartoon of a friend with nipple tassels, but I figure the idea is similar. Maybe imagine it as using bobble head doll mechanics? I can't find an example of what I want to do online, which kind of surprised me since it seems like a fairly simple thing to do for people who actually know what they are doing. I do not, but feel it is a good use of my time to learn how to do so.

You really need a soft body physics engine to make this happen. What platform are you developing this for?

If it's a web app, you could do it with this: http://brm.io/matter-js/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I keep a portable dry watercolor set with me for painting in my sketchbooks. I'm trying to work on larger pieces at home, broadening my skill sets, giving myself more room to play on the paper.

I bought a set of liquid watercolor paints to use at home. I've never used them. I know the best way to learn is to just play with them, but I don't want to waste them all or ruin the paintings in the process.

Any advice or resources, things I should keep in mind?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

You really need a soft body physics engine to make this happen. What platform are you developing this for?

If it's a web app, you could do it with this: http://brm.io/matter-js/

Thank you! Originally I was thinking an interactive gif-type thing. Obviously, I have no clue what I'm doing though. Would it be easier for me to make it for iOS and Android. It's just for a few friends to play with when bored, then probably shortly remove.

And it looks like there are a bunch of bobble-head creators for iOS.

Edit: I really suck at understanding javascript.

Edit: Even if I can't figure it out, this is some interesting reading: http://brm.io/game-physics-for-beginners/

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 17, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A goon did this which sounds exactly like what you're describing, except with an exotic dancer instead of a pair of testicles.

nolen posted:

I might hop in this year with a local team. Anything is better than the year I created and submitted https://www.virtualballsack.com

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

A goon did this which sounds exactly like what you're describing, except with an exotic dancer instead of a pair of testicles.

That was with matter js? 'Cause, yeah, pretty much for the original idea I had, before I made it all complicated by considering making it an app.

KillHour posted:

He did it in flash.

Edit: Those balls don't like being tugged on.

:gonk:

Ok. I thought so, but didn't know if some of the weird distortions were due to using a vector image in matter js. Thank you.

Bored fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 17, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No clue. My intention was that you message him and see if they're up to giving you pointers or whatnot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bored posted:

That was with matter js? 'Cause, yeah, pretty much for the original idea I had, before I made it all complicated by considering making it an app.

He did it in flash.

Edit: Those balls don't like being tugged on.

:gonk:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here's a dumb question about grammar --

Which sentence is correct, and why?

"This request initiates the setup of or a change to a client company on the system."

"This request initiates the setup of, or a change to, a client company on the system."

I'm doing some technical writing for a work thing, and for the life of me cannot remember how the commas should be handled in this sentence. I also can't remember the name of the phrase/clause/whatever that'd define that "or a change to" bit.

Thanks for the help, proofreaders.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Here's a dumb question about grammar --

Which sentence is correct, and why?

"This request initiates the setup of or a change to a client company on the system."

"This request initiates the setup of, or a change to, a client company on the system."

I'm doing some technical writing for a work thing, and for the life of me cannot remember how the commas should be handled in this sentence. I also can't remember the name of the phrase/clause/whatever that'd define that "or a change to" bit.

Thanks for the help, proofreaders.

I believe you need the commas, since "or a change to" is a parenthetical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenthesis_(rhetoric)

Edit:

Specifically, it's an appositive parenthetical. Albeit, kind of a weird one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apposition

Double Edit:

Thinking about it more, you could argue that "the setup of" and "a change to" are not appositive; they describe different things. Therefore, it would be a list of two items (which normally does not need commas). But it just feels weird that way. If the sentence was "This request initiates a setup or change on the system," that would make sense. But I'm not sure if you can do that the way the sentence is structured. It's a poorly worded and needlessly complicated sentence either way.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 17, 2015

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

KillHour posted:

I believe you need the commas, since "or a change to" is a parenthetical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenthesis_(rhetoric)

Edit:

Specifically, it's an appositive parenthetical. Albeit, kind of a weird one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apposition

Double Edit:

Thinking about it more, you could argue that "the setup of" and "a change to" are not appositive; they describe different things. Therefore, it would be a list of two items (which normally does not need commas). But it just feels weird that way. If the sentence was "This request initiates a setup or change on the system," that would make sense. But I'm not sure if you can do that the way the sentence is structured. It's a poorly worded and needlessly complicated sentence either way.

Thank you!

Yeah, it's kind of a clunker. Writing is not my strongest suit. I appreciate the guidance!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
This seems like the most likely place to ask this, but is it worth investing more to get a better pen? Or are they all basically the same? I don't mean specifically for art or anything particularly creative, but I figured you guys would be the most knowledgeable about such hardware.

My pens never seem to work long, and I'm getting slightly frustrated. Is a $35 pen more likely to work longer than a cheapy one? Or should I just buy a bunch of cheap ones with the same money? Since I'm left-handed, I do more pushing than pulling when writing, so I guess that really affects things.

Sorry if you guys don't know or if I'm asking the wrong people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
edit: Im a fool

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 21, 2015