Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I need you to collect a sweet roll from kitchen. I'd make the journey myself, but I'm not as young as I used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gonna accuse everyone who doesn't look or act exactly like a Real American of being a perverted communist and shoot them for sedition.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Your quest is to find a husband, then when you find one the rest of the game takes place in your house, and your quests are "wash the floor" "cook food" etc.

The twist is, the game is actually much more fulfilling and satisfying than if you play an adventurer.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

What sort of cpu strange you can slam and the shotguns not being up to saami standards.

Look upon your works and despair.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting representation! :3:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Man Whore posted:

I can't think of any company where the fans hate it as much as Bethesda fans hate bethesda. Maybe Bioware?

Well, Konami for what just happened in the past few months. Silent Hill and MGS fans certainly have a pretty good reason to hate them.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

No, with Konami it's the other way around, they hate their fans.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

As a gay: Mr Tastee is an autistic welfare queen attention seeker.

But if he wants the right of being able to RP as a gay man, which I dunno why he can't other than the fact that he literally hates heterosexuality, I want to RP as a 50's woman who isn't as open-minded as people are today because that's how the 50's were. :colbert:

Oh my god did you just call me a "welfare queen".

Are you loving Ronald Reagan.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 5, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This thread makes me sad that Hitler lost the war...

edit:
UK goons, if you aren't too busy slitting your wrist after reading this thread, you can apparently purchase the Collectors Edition of Fallout4. Or you could if you managed to get to the one page that sold it before every fat nerd in the country dog piled the page.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Valatar posted:

I'm not, except in the sense that it's a thing that will have no bearing on the actual gameplay and exists solely as a character detail in the prologue. It's the same song as the various tools who wouldn't play Portal because they were 'forced' to be a woman in it. Hnnnnng, their IMMERSIONNNNN. Some stories might have a protagonist with <adjective> in common with the player. Others won't. Judging the quality of something based solely on the existence of lack of <adjective> is flatly stupid unless that thing is pivotal to the game.

If Fallout was a story about exploring one's sexuality in a desperate humanity fighting for survival and there was no option to be anything but straight, then I'd call the protagonist's orientation a bad oversight because the game's theme would be flawed without the other options. It's not about that, though. It's about shooting raiders in the face with a BB gun that makes their eyes explode. Whether Robodad or Mombot is gay, straight, bi, null, or furry is not going to change shooting raiders even a little bit. Unless you take the associated perk, I guess, because ironically Fallout has more gameplay mechanics influenced by sexual orientation than pretty much any other game out there.

BRB, going to change.org to start a petition for nonsexual and furry perks in Fallout 4.

If the reverse was true, and Fallout 4 started off the protagonist in a committed gay relationship, I would say the exact same thing to the imbeciles that crawled out of the woodwork to complain that they couldn't play a game that 'forced them to be gay'. Then I would proceed to still buy it and play it.

this is a lot of words that kind of just read 'I am ANGRY about GAY PEOPLE wanting to be in VIDEO GAMES'

your premise is the confirmed bachelor perk is meaningless because it just pays lip service to gay people and I'm just saying he doesn't need a full gay simulator he just wants a checkbox to roleplay in his roleplaying game. it ain't just a shooter honey.

i don't really know what your problem is lol but you seem angry. Sexuality doesn't have to be the focus of the game he just wants to be able to say 'im gay' just like you're able to pick between 'dick or vagina' at the beginning (and that has no bearing on the raiders shooting at you either). you're way more worked up about this than is necessary.

It's ridiculous to get this butthurt and start calling people names when Mr Tastee wasn't even mad in the first place. He just said he was mildly annoyed if there was no gay option then we told him about the perk (god forbid he hasn't played every single Fallout game right) and he said 'cool.' guess we're all imbecile SJWs though.

quote:

Judging the quality of something based solely on the existence of lack of <adjective> is flatly stupid unless that thing is pivotal to the game.

lol not really. first of all he didn't say 'no gays? TERRIBLE GAME' he said 'no gays? aw well' and second of all there's plenty of criticisms to be levied at games for minor non-pivotal things. for example the Witcher 3 has a not so great UI and inventory management system. Doesn't mean the whole game sucks.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 5, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Your character's all in your head just pretend he's gay up there jesus it's a video game not a romance simulator. What loving weirdos care about video game sexuality?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Gender affects your appearance. Sexuality doesn't. There's no reason to have to game mechanically define your sexuality either way. The only reason you can't start the intro in a gay relationship is that they wanted an in game conceit allowing you to choose a male or female protagonist and chose to do that by having a man and woman in the family. After that RP whatever sexuality you want, we have no idea at this point whether there are romance options at all in the game.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Your character's all in your head just pretend he's gay up there jesus it's a video game not a romance simulator. What loving weirdos care about video game sexuality?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Gender affects your appearance. Sexuality doesn't. There's no reason to have to game mechanically define your sexuality either way. The only reason you can't start the intro in a gay relationship is that they wanted an in game conceit allowing you to choose a male or female protagonist and chose to do that by having a man and woman in the family. After that RP whatever sexuality you want, we have no idea at this point whether there are romance options at all in the game.

Cannot empty quote these enough.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, I thought people were just being all "ironic" to mock people who "cared too much" or whatever, but jesus christ, this torrent of lovely bad opinions just won't stop.

Here's a hit, if you keep being relentlessly gross to rile up some dumb people... you're still being relentlessly gross!

Sexual identity can matter to people, games are for fun, expressing yourself is fun, options are good, stop being jerks. Christ.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JoshTheStampede posted:

Gender affects your appearance. Sexuality doesn't. There's no reason to have to game mechanically define your sexuality either way.

Okay, explain the existence of the Black Widow and the Confirmed Bachelor perks then. I'm not talking about the game's intro I'm just saying 'options for gay roleplaying should and DO exist'

I also don't understand why this is such a big deal to you guys. Like for real, why are you so worked up by a gay person wanting to be gay in a open world rpg game? It wouldn't be the first time gay things exist in an RPG lol. Even though there's 'no mechanical reason' for it. There's tons of cosmetic things in games that have 'no mechanical reason' but are still fun.

big mean giraffe posted:

let me ask you a question; do you customize your character's appearance or do you just hit start at the first preset appearance because 'who cares it's all first person anyway and I can just pretend?'

Are black people who make their character black also dumb? I mean, it has no bearing on anything in the game right? It's just a different pixel color. gently caress it why even have character customization in the first place? Have 2-3 presets for male and female and you're good to go!

In fact, just make every character a white male with no customization options because shooting raiders is the only thing Fallout is about, goddamnit. Shouldn't matter if you are gay or not, black or not, male or not. It's just about SHOOTY MANS.

Again for the cheap seats I'm not talking about the game's intro, whatever about that you can just come out of the vault 200 years later a flaming queen with a prewar dress and confirmed bachelor, I just mean why are you so against the very existence of anything gay in your game?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 5, 2015

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Eiba posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought people were just being all "ironic" to mock people who "cared too much" or whatever, but jesus christ, this torrent of lovely bad opinions just won't stop.

Here's a hit, if you keep being relentlessly gross to rile up some dumb people... you're still being relentlessly gross!

Sexual identity can matter to people, games are for fun, expressing yourself is fun, options are good, stop being jerks. Christ.

This. I came by this thread to talk about fun fallout things, but I forgot this is a thread in games.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just hope Bethesda has finally figured out how to make their game engine stop crashing constantly and randomly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Moridin920 posted:

Okay, explain the existence of the Black Widow and the Confirmed Bachelor perks then. I'm not talking about the game's intro I'm just saying 'options for gay roleplaying should and DO exist'

I also don't understand why this is such a big deal to you guys. Like for real, why are you so worked up by a gay person wanting to be gay in a open world rpg game? It wouldn't be the first time gay things exist in an RPG lol. Even though there's 'no mechanical reason' for it.

let me ask you a question; do you customize your character's appearance or do you just hit start at the first preset appearance because 'who cares it's all first person anyway and I can just pretend.'

Are black people who make their character black also dumb? I mean, it has no bearing on anything in the game right? It's just a different pixel color. gently caress it why even have character customization in the first place? Have 2-3 presets for male and female and you're good to go!

In fact, just make every character a white male with no customization options because shooting raiders is the only thing Fallout is about, goddamnit.

If this were one of your creepy sex games, sure give the option to be whatever you want. Instead it's a loving shooter RPG who gives a poo poo. Once you create your character and get past the intro, you can be whatever you want. Or does the fact that your character was forced into a heteronormative relationship for the equivalent of the intro credits of a movie traumatize you?

I load up a fallout game and I mess with the character creator for the least amount of time it takes to make something that doesn't look retarded because the customization is terrible in every bethesda game. Then I switch into first person view and run off never looking at my character except for when I get new armor or a hat. I honestly don't care if he spent his life eating vaginas or sucking dicks, I just play the loving game.

I'd say they've been pretty progressive so far seeing as in New Vegas you could "have sex" aka the screen fades to black with a man, woman, robot or ghoul.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 5, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

If this were one of your creepy sex games, sure give the option to be whatever you want. Instead it's a loving shooter RPG who gives a poo poo. Once you create your character and get past the intro, you can be whatever you want. Or does the fact that your character was forced into a heteronormative relationship for the equivalent of the intro credits of a movie traumatize you?

No bro it doesn't traumatize me. I just like making characters in games that are reflective of myself (at least for the first run) and since you can do all those other things that 'don't matter because it is a shooter' like be black/white/whatever or male/female it isn't too farfetched to enjoy the black widow or confirmed bachelor perks in the game, too.

I mean by your logic why even have a character customization? Just use 1 preset character and be done with it.

And again you're totally missing what I'm saying. I'm telling Mr Tastee he has the option of taking the confirmed bachelor perk if he wants to be gay, and you clowns are jumping all over him calling him a retard for no reason. It's not about the character intro at all because as you said the game lets you do whatever once you're out of the vault including taking a perk that means 'I am GAY' so what are you even arguing against at this point? It just sounds like you can't wait to trot out things like 'heteronormative' to give your buddies a virtual high five; "haha owned that human being!"

Why does it have to go to a crazy anti-SJW or 'creepy sex game' place for a gay person to say 'hey can I roleplay as a gay person?' I'm not even gay; you guys are just being loving ridiculous with your kneejerk reactions and name calling.

Mr Tastee said 'hey can I be gay in this game seems like you are railroaded into a marriage.' The right answer is 'yeah bro the intros are always railroaded but you can in fact take a gay perk and hit on dudes if that's your fancy' not 'gently caress you human being this isn't a game for that.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 5, 2015

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The protagonist's kid will probably play some role in the story. Bethesda can't just use the adopted excuse either, because there is no reason for said kid to give a gently caress about some random person that took care of them for a year at most.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Maybe I should've worded it better. I want the Confirmed Bachelor/Cherchez le Femme perk.

I also want some brodude to get mad because he thought the Vault Boy was giving his bro a bro backrub again because that was funny.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 5, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swear it's always the people going 'this is what the game IS and this is how it SHOULD BE' with some sort of nerdy puritan "no true Fallout" nonsense that are universally the most insufferable sect of the gamer group.

Between the moaning about any change at all being made (what is this BASE BUILDING crap what is this dialogue wheel bullshit!) and the 'Fallout is THIS TYPE of game and it can't have your GAY poo poo in it' it's absurd.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Regardless of the validity or realism of Mr. Tastees request what is clear is the completely disproportionate response. In just a few pages we have seen a flurry of angry ranting posts (or just a ridiculous amount of negative responses) about how bad it is that Mr Tastee believes x game should have x feature. People make similar claims just like this all time on the games board yet it's only a few subjects which garner such an incredible response. It's clear that many feel personally attacked and that they must voice their opinion to Mr. Tastee. It seems that a lot of you are projecting anger onto him when his comment itself was fairly innocuous. Remember: We're talking about video games!!

I believe that bethesda's attempt at constraining what is clearly an open world RPG by confining the role playing elements is really the central issue. Fallout has always been a series in which you can create the character you want in many different ways, and sometimes over the series some choices were lost and others gained. But what we've seen is really a huge departure from that; Bethesda is definitely trying to appeal to a wider audience by adding such a strict narrative. And we're gonna to see a lot of people upset that they can no longer play as the character they were used to being able to play because of it. This may just mean not being able to always be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat because there are only 4 dialogue choices, or that your character can no longer flirt with men. So in essence it all comes down to the strict narrative Bethesda is imposing in many ways (backstory, dialogue even lack of skills maybe). As someone said above one major reason this is bad is because Bethesda is the one writing the narrative

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dude, there is some awful lack of self-reflection going on in here.

If you have to say a bunch of really awful poo poo about gay people and their desire for better representation in the media just because you want to spite someone you disagree with, maybe you're the disgusting rear end in a top hat here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Truecon420 posted:

Regardless of the validity or realism of Mr. Tastees request what is clear is the completely disproportionate response. In just a few pages we have seen a flurry of angry ranting posts (or just a ridiculous amount of negative responses) about how bad it is that Mr Tastee believes x game should have x feature. People make similar claims just like this all time on the games board yet it's only a few subjects which garner such an incredible response. It's clear that many feel personally attacked and that they must voice their opinion to Mr. Tastee. It seems that a lot of you are projecting anger onto him when his comment itself was fairly innocuous. Remember: We're talking about video games!!

Yeah pretty much.

Saying 'aw it'd be cool if it had this feature' is basically half the thread but just because it has anything to do with sexuality immediately there's trouble.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

No bro it doesn't traumatize me. I just like making characters in games that are reflective of myself (at least for the first run) and since you can do all those other things that 'don't matter because it is a shooter' like be black/white/whatever or male/female it isn't too farfetched to enjoy the black widow or confirmed bachelor perks in the game, too.

I mean by your logic why even have a character customization? Just use 1 preset character and be done with it.

And again you're totally missing what I'm saying. I'm telling Mr Tastee he has the option of taking the confirmed bachelor perk if he wants to be gay, and you clowns are jumping all over him calling him a retard for no reason. It's not about the character intro at all because as you said the game lets you do whatever once you're out of the vault including taking a perk that means 'I am GAY' so what are you even arguing against at this point? It just sounds like you can't wait to trot out things like 'heteronormative' to give your buddies a virtual high five; "haha owned that human being!"

Why does it have to go to a crazy anti-SJW or 'creepy sex game' place for a gay person to say 'hey can I roleplay as a gay person?' I'm not even gay; you guys are just being loving ridiculous with your kneejerk reactions and name calling.

Mr Tastee said 'hey can I be gay in this game seems like you are railroaded into a marriage.' The right answer is 'yeah bro the intros are always railroaded but you can in fact take a gay perk and hit on dudes if that's your fancy' not 'gently caress you human being this isn't a game for that.'

We don't know if Confirmed Bachelor will be in the game, seems likely to me that it won't be. But yeah agreed with everything else in your post.

Gayness- the one thing New Vegas has and this game won't that you aren't allowed to complain about ITT.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

We don't know if Confirmed Bachelor will be in the game, seems likely to me that it won't be.

It's possible and that's definitely something to talk about when the game is released if it isn't there but as of now I'm just assuming it is. I hope it is; I almost never take it but it is funny to see people go 'wait wait I thought I'd be pounding sliz why are dudes hitting on me now?'

To be honest if they just threw Geralt in there complete with the same voice actor and swords and said 'gently caress your customization' I'd be chill with it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 5, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

This is why this conversation is such a shitfest. "I don't like this" or "This is actually important to me" do not indicate a tumblr tear filled tantrum.

There is no "trauma" involved. You're just being pointlessly dickish with this.

Moridin920 posted:

I think this says it perfectly. The fact that this wasn't the reaction to Mr Tastee is some pretty sorry poo poo.

(Assuming there is a confirmed bachelor perk or something like it. There's really no telling at this point, but I'm not going to assume the sky is falling and freak out about it just because we don't know.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I like that sexuality has become political and thusly everyone's ready get the gloves whenever it's mentioned these days.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This game will be fun and I am looking forward to playing it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

chitoryu12 posted:

If you have to say a bunch of really awful poo poo about gay people and their desire for better representation in the media just because you want to spite someone you disagree with, maybe you're the disgusting rear end in a top hat here.

It's like this is a segregated community that reinforces :spergin: behavoir

You know, like a bunch of gamers surrounded by a...gate of some fashion

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
To sum up:

Some people want more focus on the player characters sexual preferences in Fallout games. Other people disagree.

Okay are we done yet? Lets talk about something else now please.

Like for instance, whats the deal with the customizable power armour? It seems hilariously overpowered, and at first it seemed it would just be a one shot thing in the singleplayer storyline, but the customization aspect seems to hint at it being a bigger part of the game. I hope its use is going to be limited somehow, maybe its only usable in certain high radiation areas. Half the fun of playing fallout is to feel badass wearing an outfit you designed yourself out of bits and pieces you scavenged around the wasteland, so i hope the whole "mobile infantry" schtick is a side thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

it's like those posters are literally goons.txt

Truecon420 posted:

I believe that bethesda's attempt at constraining what is clearly an open world RPG by confining the role playing elements is really the central issue. Fallout has always been a series in which you can create the character you want in many different ways, and sometimes over the series some choices were lost and others gained. But what we've seen is really a huge departure from that; Bethesda is definitely trying to appeal to a wider audience by adding such a strict narrative. And we're gonna to see a lot of people upset that they can no longer play as the character they were used to being able to play because of it. This may just mean not being able to always be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat because there are only 4 dialogue choices, or that your character can no longer flirt with men. So in essence it all comes down to the strict narrative Bethesda is imposing in many ways (backstory, dialogue even lack of skills maybe). As someone said above one major reason this is bad is because Bethesda is the one writing the narrative
pretty much, the lack of economy for voice acting + "4 choices because we vastly underestimate the intelligence of the target audience" are two very negative ways mass market appeal manifests in that bethesda actually did a relatively good job of avoiding until recently, not to mention the insufferability of the unconscious cargo cult that assumes everything bethesda is gold, despite the fact that it backfires on itself 100% of the time

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Confirmed Bachelor and Cherchez La Femme are rolled into a single perk with the damage buffs stripped out, and then rarely seen in the new dialogue system, because even if Bethesda's writing has improved the main thrust of your interactions will still be more about moving forward through the quest lines than exploring any particular characterization. That's just how their stories always seem to work, good or bad.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's also stupid as hell to say 'dude this is a shooty rpg, your sexuality doesn't come into it at all' when your introduction to the main character is seeing them with their heterosexual spouse.

Inzombiac posted:

This game will be fun and I am looking forward to playing it.

Same.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I swear to god Todd Howard better not gently caress up my immersion while I"m RPing a pansexual baby fur

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

It's possible and that's definitely something to talk about when the game is released if it isn't there but as of now I'm just assuming it is.

I hope it is; I almost never take it but it is funny to see people go 'wait wait I thought I'd be pounding sliz why are dudes hitting on me now?'

Why would it be in Fallout 4? NV was made by Obsidian. It's never been a perk in any of the Bethesda games. I think it's safter to assume it's NOT going to be in the game.

Also there's no relationship mechanic in any of the Fallout games and I can still bang a dude and a dude robot without the confirmed bachelor perk so it's pretty meaningless.

e-

It's meaningless if you're using it in a sexual identity kinda way.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

hey guys you aren't entitled to anything sorry

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sylink posted:

hey guys you aren't entitled to anything sorry
agreed, I like the new direction Bethesda is taking the Postal series, it's nothing like that dumb Fallout poo poo :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You're all gonna be guilty as gently caress when the game turns out to have incredibly touching themes of someone repressing their sexuality in a 50s environment.

• Locked thread