Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
A superman metroidvania sounds horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

A superman metroidvania sounds horrible

The Batman metroidvania turned out ok

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah but thats with Batman having gadgets to unlock.

"Geez I know there's an unlock here, but I don't have the leap buildings in a single bound upgrade yet."

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The superman returns game was bad, but it had a nice idea. Superman didn't have a health bar, because he's superman and invincible. Metropolis did though. Smash a guy through a building? metropolis gets hurt.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah but thats with Batman having gadgets to unlock.

"Geez I know there's an unlock here, but I don't have the leap buildings in a single bound upgrade yet."

I think it'd be fun to progress through a game from muscly badass to literal god, and the hugely raised stakes could make for a clever take on the genre itself, but :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A superman game fundamentally would not work because Superman is, by default, the most powerful. You have to downgrade him from his normal status in order to make him usable which is a lovely concept and part of why Superman is kind of a lovely comic. They pretty much wrote themselves into a corner when they were creating Supes: He can do anything, ergo he's basically One Punch Man minus the self-awareness. Nothing can stop him by default so he has to be made weaker than he normally would be for anything ever to challenge him. So when you, the player, theoretically upgrade your Superman, you're not making him better as you do Batman's gadgets, you're making him more akin to how he normally is. Which sucks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Real hurthling! posted:

if you wanted to piss lots of people off, sure. people hate this in games like metroid

Metroid is an extremely beloved series and this exact mechanic has become integral to what is essentially its own genre.

I'd much prefer something like that to just being told 'You're Superman, go destroy everything and we'll come up with some artificial difficulty excuses later if we feel like it'.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

My ideal Superman game would have an ending resembling this picture:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve2911 posted:

Metroid is an extremely beloved series and this exact mechanic has become integral to what is essentially its own genre.

the beginning conceit of metroid prime is rear end. rear end is extremely beloved by fart sniffers

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
A Superman game could be fun but its 1) probably a puzzle game( like taking out some robots while catching 3 falling people and putting out a fire), not a combat game, because Superman is invincible and it would be like having an infinite fear takedown in Arkham language and 2) maybe a couple generations off because it would require a life-size model of the Earth, including low Earth orbit, and not feel extremely sparse (so, a bunch of bespoke cities at least the size of Gotham in Knight, or more realistically, procedural generated cities). It would need to be the worlds biggest and fastest flight sim, and be able to transition seamlessly from orbit to ground level.

Edit: also completely destructible environments because you need to be able to punch Zod through buildings.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Is Superman vulnerable to magic or whatever insane comic book canon or something? Just make the bad guys all have magic instead of kryptonite.

Or gently caress it I dunno, stop trying to make Superman games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Press triangle to grab enemy's hand and tut condescendingly.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Just do the gotham city sirens already.

They already have combat, ivy stealth/plant gadgets, harley melee weapons, catwoman speedy combat, can do stealth too, she is a cat burglar.
They were sorta just doing their own thing in the comics as opposed to being true heros or villains, and I'd love to play as them, and the have interesting ties with established villains and heros already.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 5, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Sober posted:

There also just weren't enough predator challenges or interesting medal conditions. Not to mention you can have so many drat distruptor shots and it basically can do anything in this game, cools down fairly fast, as does smoke (vs. 1 use in AC/AO). I'd just like to see just more predator maps in general and extreme variations of them. The one only timed predator challenge was interesting but I'd like to see all 3 (or 4?) banks each with their own timer as well instead of just the first bank. The layouts of the others are really fun and it's a shame they've gone to waste.

The disruptor and hacking device really ruin the predator sections. As soon as they introduce a new enemy type, a new upgrade becomes available for the disruptor or hacking device that negates that enemy. Some of them, like the disruptor upgrade that incapacitates medics if they try to revive someone, literally make no sense. How on earth does a digital disruptor interfere with manually using a health pack or adrenaline shot?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

acksplode posted:

The Batman metroidvania turned out ok

There's plenty of bad ways to do it! See: Arkham Origins Blackgate.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I dunno, a Superman game could work, just bring back those pills from Injustice. And, Hell, he's got a number of villains that can trade blows with him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

A superman game fundamentally would not work because Superman is, by default, the most powerful. You have to downgrade him from his normal status in order to make him usable which is a lovely concept and part of why Superman is kind of a lovely comic. They pretty much wrote themselves into a corner when they were creating Supes: He can do anything, ergo he's basically One Punch Man minus the self-awareness. Nothing can stop him by default so he has to be made weaker than he normally would be for anything ever to challenge him. So when you, the player, theoretically upgrade your Superman, you're not making him better as you do Batman's gadgets, you're making him more akin to how he normally is. Which sucks.

So do you think every Superman comic is just Superman beating the enemy in one punch or something?

Superman is at a super-high power level but that means he either fights enemies at that power level or faces challenges that can't be defeated by just punching them. Both of which are completely viable for video games if more challenging than the standard. The idea the Superman Returns game had for making your health bar not Superman but the city was interesting if poorly executed but there are a lot of ways to handle characters who are extremely strong.

Even regardless of that, "Superman is the super-strongest and never faces any challenges ever because he is the strongest" doesn't actually describe Superman. The dude, yes, would pretty effortlessly stop The Joker or Two-Face or whatever, but that is why they put him up against villains of similar power levels or who otherwise are on a level where he is actually challenged by them. You'll have a harder time justify mooks for him to fight but "Superman fights an army of robots/alien/alien robots" isn't anything new for the character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 5, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, make a superman game set in a space station or something, that'd be a nice change of pace. You can have superman fight Metallo, Brainiac, Lobo, Doomsday, Mr Mxzyt, Bizarro and other super powered dudes, have Luthor in a kryptonite super armor. and bam you get a good game.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Superman constantly tries to steer the fight away from the city but Zod keeps bringing it back, because Zod is a villain and trying to murder people. If you didn't get this you're bad at watching movies because, while they don't say it out loud, it's perfectly clear from the actions taking place.

Also what non-lethal alternatives are there for a guy who is stronger than Superman, a better fighter than Superman, and has flat out said "if you don't kill me I will continue to destroy things and murder humans because you have taken away everything I loved and my only purpose in life," in a world where there is no kryptonite, no other super humans (in public at least) and no way to put him back into the negative zone as all of the kryptonian tech has been destroyed?

Superman doesn't do anything to steer the fight away from the city. He kisses his girlfriend surrounded by corpses and ash. This is reminiscent of the original Superman character: a vigilante power fantasy who killed thugs, kidnapped politicians, and destroyed homes.

Batman was also a ruthless killer and regularly used a gun:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's pretty entertaining to listen to people say that you just can't make a compelling Superman game that suits the character, since that was also the conventional wisdom for Batman prior to Arkham Asylum.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Toady posted:

Superman doesn't do anything to steer the fight away from the city. He kisses his girlfriend surrounded by corpses and ash. This is reminiscent of the original Superman character: a vigilante power fantasy who killed thugs, kidnapped politicians, and destroyed homes.
Superman razed that slum only because he wanted to make the government build new and better housing for the poor!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm convinced that anyone who cannot fathom Superman in a story where he doesn't just punch everything hard and win in .00001 seconds has never actually read Superman. OR seen him in anything besides some sort of parody or pop culture punchline.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it's more a question of how you deal with that in a medium primarily based around hitting and shooting stuff.

Also, Riddler's lines are dark as gently caress if you fail Catwoman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3oWEDNgXI :catstare:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just found out that the Batgirl DLC was developed by WB Montreal. Oy. I'm not getting the season pass until it's around $10 or less, but that bit of news has me less enthusiastic now. Hopefully since it's not a ton of content it won't be totally riddled with bugs :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just found out that the Batgirl DLC was developed by WB Montreal. Oy. I'm not getting the season pass until it's around $10 or less, but that bit of news has me less enthusiastic now. Hopefully since it's not a ton of content it won't be totally riddled with bugs :v:

It's sort of weird hearing this argument after Arkham Knight's release honestly. Knight is also extremely buggy, arguably moreso than Origins. (And if you're talking about the PC port, earlier reports say that the Knight port was done by the same people who did the Origins PC port!)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird hearing this argument after Arkham Knight's release honestly. Knight is also extremely buggy, arguably moreso than Origins. (And if you're talking about the PC port, earlier reports say that the Knight port was done by the same people who did the Origins PC port!)

Origins was just poo poo though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

It's pretty entertaining to listen to people say that you just can't make a compelling Superman game that suits the character, since that was also the conventional wisdom for Batman prior to Arkham Asylum.

batman had good platformers. the gameboy one and the second nes one are fun.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Steve2911 posted:

Origins was just poo poo though.

Not really, it was just a cash in with no improvements made on City.

Which is probably more to do with decisions made by the people at the top of the company than it has to do with the game making abilities of WB Montreal.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Superman vs. an Apokolips invasion. Have Darkseid co-opt Zod, Bizarro, Metallo, and...wow Superman has a dearth of iconic villains...stick a Powered Armor Lex fight in there somewhere. Also bring in George Newburn and Clancy Brown (Michael Ironside too unless they can convince Frank Welker to bring back the Dr. Claw voice for Darkseid.)

Bam, premise for Superman game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Superman vs. an Apokolips invasion. Have Darkseid co-opt Zod, Bizarro, Metallo, and...wow Superman has a dearth of iconic villains...stick a Powered Armor Lex fight in there somewhere. Also bring in George Newburn and Clancy Brown (Michael Ironside too unless they can convince Frank Welker to bring back the Dr. Claw voice for Darkseid.)

Bam, premise for Superman game.

Nah, you missed some obvious ones. Parasite, Doomsday, Braniac. Maybe Mongul if you want to go semi-obscure. (He was the dude you had a legit superhero fight with in Superman Returns at least.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Let's not forget Toyman

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

On the other hand if you mess too much with a good formula you end up with Knight and it's problems.:v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kurtofan posted:

Let's not forget Toyman

Captain Tootsie

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mongul should show up, act like the main villain for an hour of the game, and then Darkseid kills him with a finger poke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Which is probably more to do with decisions made by the people at the top of the company than it has to do with the game making abilities of WB Montreal.

Pretty much this. It had problems but a lot of the complaints people made about it are also things they're making about Knight, right down to the "the combat doesn't work the same, I can't counter/target the wrong enemies" stuff. I mean Origins got issues but I really don't feel like it deserves the rep it has. It's not the best game (and is probably the worst of the Batman games, depending on how much the Batmobile bugs you) but it's by no means lovely and unplayable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hey goons, are the Lego Batman games any good? I know they aren't the Arkham series, but if I want more juicy Batman goodness, will I find it there?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Hey goons, are the Lego Batman games any good? I know they aren't the Arkham series, but if I want more juicy Batman goodness, will I find it there?

No, you'll find Lego goodness, which is different.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

dscruffy1 posted:

There's plenty of bad ways to do it! See: Arkham Origins Blackgate.

Are you going to LP it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

They're good Lego games but they're not going to be more like Arkham if that is what you're looking for.

They also, ironically, have a version of Superman who is true to his power level!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did Origins do anything new other than the pistol-style disruptor and remote batclaw and if so did Knight take anything from it?

• Locked thread