Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Did Origins do anything new other than the pistol-style disruptor and remote batclaw and if so did Knight take anything from it?

Yep. The 'recorded' Investigation scenes debuted in Origin and were reused in Knight.

It also had new enemy types but they weren't really recycled in Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Electrocutioner gloves were fun to use. Even if you did get them pretty late.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man I miss the remote batclaw. Not much better than stringing someone up from a distance or launching an explosive tank into a group of dudes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

Did Origins do anything new other than the pistol-style disruptor and remote batclaw and if so did Knight take anything from it?

It had the Electrocutioner Gloves, which I did like, as it was sorta of a "Devil Trigger" ability in the game to quickly wipe out the big thugs. And the fact you could upgrade it to absorb electricity made the tazer guys a less of a issue. Shame you couldn't steal those back from the Police Department as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

The Electrocutioner gloves were fun to use. Even if you did get them pretty late.

They are not TECHNICALLY new for Origins. The Wii U version of Arkham City (which the same guys worked on) had a similar gimmick with its exclusive batsuit.

The baseball bats you can grab in Knight fill the same niche though.

Edit: Also I should mention Origins had multiplayer but it was as meh as meh could be.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are you going to LP it?

Hell no I ain't touchin' that. I picked it up on one of Steam's holiday sales and tried it out for a while, game is terrible.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They are not TECHNICALLY new for Origins. The Wii U version of Arkham City (which the same guys worked on) had a similar gimmick with its exclusive batsuit.

The baseball bats you can grab in Knight fill the same niche though.

Edit: Also I should mention Origins had multiplayer but it was as meh as meh could be.

Yeah, Warner Montreal did the WiiU version of Arkham City and put the electric gloves they were developing for Origins in it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, you missed some obvious ones. Parasite, Doomsday, Braniac. Maybe Mongul if you want to go semi-obscure. (He was the dude you had a legit superhero fight with in Superman Returns at least.)

You know Livewire will be in the games, too.

Because someone is going to have to fill the role of "woman in revealing spandex" and it's not going to be Supergirl.

dscruffy1 posted:

Hell no I ain't touchin' that. I picked it up on one of Steam's holiday sales and tried it out for a while, game is terrible.

I don't blame you. I thought the remade version was going to be better, but it's just better looking than the original.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

dscruffy1 posted:

There's plenty of bad ways to do it! See: Arkham Origins Blackgate.

It's not that bad, but that game does an awful job of telling you where to go sometimes. :\

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. The 'recorded' Investigation scenes debuted in Origin and were reused in Knight.

It also had new enemy types but they weren't really recycled in Knight.

I kind of miss the venom thugs.

It was better than keeping the same 4 types of dudes, and then introducing a brute version of the same type. gently caress shock brutes and shield brutes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

theflyingorc posted:

Not really, it was just a cash in with no improvements made on City.

Which is probably more to do with decisions made by the people at the top of the company than it has to do with the game making abilities of WB Montreal.

Eh, I do have a fairly irrational dislike for games handed off to in-house studios for the purposes of pumping out sequels. Especially when people dare speak of them as if they're part of the series.

Bioshock 2 is dreck and I don't remember why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Eh, I do have a fairly irrational dislike for games handed off to in-house studios for the purposes of pumping out sequels. Especially when people dare speak of them as if they're part of the series.

They... are part of the series. You may not like it but Knight has many explicit direct references to Origins. There is no way, shape or form Origins isn't part of the series when it is 100% directly unambiguously treated as part of the series in Knight.

quote:

Bioshock 2 is dreck and I don't remember why.

You should give Bioshock 2 another shot. Like, without bias, it actually does a lot of things well. (Minerva's Den in particular.)

I mean new development teams can actually do a good job with sequels.There's a lot of cases where ironic elements of a franchise come from a different director or different team. I mean Fallout New Vegas is arguably 'farmed out' to Obsidian after Fallout 3 but a lot of people consider it better. (And arguable the reverse is true since Obsidian contains a lot of the original development team behind Fallout.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 5, 2015

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Funnily enough Bioshock 2 is the only game in the Bioshock series that had gameplay good enough to replay. And Origins still has the best story of the Arkham games but people soured on it due to Joker fatigue, and then Knight happens and lmao.

"The Joker is dead and the Arkham Knight is a new character" is all Rocksteady said about Knight's story and look how that loving turned out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can see why people were soured with the Joker in Origins but in hindsight it's obvious that the story of these games is really focused on the relationship between Batman and Joker.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

AngryBooch posted:

Funnily enough Bioshock 2 is the only game in the Bioshock series that had gameplay good enough to replay. And Origins still has the best story of the Arkham games but people soured on it due to Joker fatigue, and then Knight happens and lmao.
Eh, Origins is rough around the edges. It doesn't really try to do anything at all new, and the 'there's 6 assassins after him" thing is handled strangely, I think 2 or 3 of them are completely optional? Plus, they used the main map from City, which really works to keep in not feeling fresh.

And the level designs are pretty rough, if you have to go back in the hotel after the first time for Riddler trophies I remember it being a huge slog.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The reveal in Origins is absolutely hilarious.

Also when you realize that Black Mask has a white suit just so that they could get Joker in his Dark Knight Returns outfit.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Maybe it's because I didn't buy it at launch and avoided major bugs, but I found Origins rather fun. It's biggest problem in my opinion was the pacing of the plot regarding the six assassins. Half of them were integral to the plot, and half of them were jokes or throwaway side missions (Shiva for example). Give me six good boss fights, and have Deathstroke be the LAST assassin rather than the first. They blew their load with the best assassin fight as the first.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I figure the ever-increasing amount of playable characters in the Arkham series is part of Rocksteady (or WB Montreal) leading up to making a Justice League game. I can see it working fine if Superman is only playable in certain boss fights against Darkseid or whatever.

I feel the same about the Batmobile. I think it's an experiment for travel powers in a future All-DC game and them determining what works and what doesn't. This could be what leads to poo poo like Flash speed, Wonder Woman invisible jets, or the Blue Beetle's plane. :allears:

Superman's flight was perfected on Superman Returns even if everything else whiffed. You give a better team the blueprint established there, and you could have a good Superman game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The fact that loving Copperhead was one of the assassins I never stop laughing it.

It's like

was David Cain busy or something?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Funky Valentine posted:

The reveal in Origins is absolutely hilarious.

"Now, as you can see, Batman deaths are way below projections-"*muffled Joker laugh* "Ahem."

I got a pretty good chuckle out of that one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if batmans car can drive itself to meet him, why can't it drive itself after an apc and kill them while i'm doing fun things?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Like Knight I managed to get through Origins without having any plot information spoiled for me but I twigged onto something being off about Black Mask very quickly. Doesn't diminish the "reveal" though - for me it was less about who was under there and more about what he was doing. Troy Baker did such a great job with angry Joker. :allears:

vvv - I actually had no idea who BM was in the comics. The anger about his character being "ruined" was very strange in retrospect.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 5, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can tell something's wrong with Black Mask because he was being characterized as something other than "really angry mob boss guy who wears a skull mask and is somehow not a Nazi".

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it's more a question of how you deal with that in a medium primarily based around hitting and shooting stuff.

Also, Riddler's lines are dark as gently caress if you fail Catwoman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3oWEDNgXI :catstare:

https://youtu.be/kE3oWEDNgXI?t=9m11s

My favorite part about that is that the key just kind of physics out and can get stuck in her cleavage

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

l33t b4c0n posted:

Maybe it's because I didn't buy it at launch and avoided major bugs, but I found Origins rather fun. It's biggest problem in my opinion was the pacing of the plot regarding the six assassins. Half of them were integral to the plot, and half of them were jokes or throwaway side missions (Shiva for example). Give me six good boss fights, and have Deathstroke be the LAST assassin rather than the first. They blew their load with the best assassin fight as the first.

There were 8 assassins. 6 of them are encountered in the plot line. The only 2 optional ones were Deadshot and Shiva, who are more interested in setting up their own traps than relying on ambushes during the game.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Funky Valentine posted:

The fact that loving Copperhead was one of the assassins I never stop laughing it.

It's like

One part, how would the boss fight be different than Deathstroke. Two parts, Barbara has always been Batgirl, Cassandra Who?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Real hurthling! posted:

if batmans car can drive itself to meet him, why can't it drive itself after an apc and kill them while i'm doing fun things?

The APC chases are awesome, what is wrong with you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

they're actually the same boring thing many times in a row and they just end when the life bar is empty with no pay off so maybe it is you who are troubled by mental malady or disease

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Like everything militia related it was fun the first time you did it and then it became a drag since it never changes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They're fun, but they're the only side mission that's literally just the same thing every time with no changes.

At least the bomb tank battles get harder with more enemy variety.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the intended the APC chases to get more complex and ran out of time or something. It's also the only thing in the game that has no upgrades or anything associated with it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some APCs have more car buddies with them.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The APC chases remind me of the best part of the Batman Begins game where they just licensed out the Engine to the Burnout guys for the Bat Tumbler segments

https://youtu.be/5M6YXlbmsLM?t=1m39s
...you know I think that killed a lot more people than Arkham Knight's batmobile does

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The APC chases remind me of the best part of the Batman Begins game where they just licensed out the Engine to the Burnout guys for the Bat Tumbler segments

https://youtu.be/5M6YXlbmsLM?t=1m39s
...you know I think that killed a lot more people than Arkham Knight's batmobile does

Excuse me it says no casualties right there!!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Some APCs have more car buddies with them.

It's possible for a bunch of them to crash before you've even seen the drat things. Funny as hell but undermines the intensity somewhat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

They're fun, but they're the only side mission that's literally just the same thing every time with no changes.

At least the bomb tank battles get harder with more enemy variety.

There are like 5 types of enemies that will spawn. The only difference between 3 of them is how many rockets they can shoot.

The other 2 fire missiles, and the only difference is that one flies and the other is grounded.

Tank combat is really loving easy in the game, and it is really loving hard to anything that isn't a boss. It gets boring quickly.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Real hurthling! posted:

they're actually the same boring thing many times in a row and they just end when the life bar is empty with no pay off so maybe it is you who are troubled by mental malady or disease

Nah, they're really fun.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I enjoyed the APC chases. Just space that poo poo out and it won't seem so monotonous ya dingus

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

It's like

Yes, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5p0FZMuDA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

acksplode posted:

I enjoyed the APC chases. Just space that poo poo out and it won't seem so monotonous ya dingus

They actually don't space them out as well as they should - they're like the first thing you can finish.

• Locked thread