Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rutibex posted:

Being an RPG means making your own character. A story based game with a pre-set protagonist is an Adventure Game.

Famous adventure game Mass Effect The Witcher South Park: The Stick of Truth etc and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Poolparty posted:

When you emerge from the vault at the start of the game as a gay character this song plays:

It's Raining Men, as a result of bizarre atmospheric effects from two centuries of radiation.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can be gay in one (two?) of those and cross dress in the third checkmate you heteronormative fuckstick :smuggo:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

You can be gay in one (two?) of those and cross dress in the third checkmate you heteronormative fuckstick :smuggo:

:iamafag:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Famous adventure game Mass Effect The Witcher South Park: The Stick of Truth etc and so forth.

Today I learned none of the Final Fantasy games are rpgs.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Really though if you can be a gay falloutman or falloutlady that's cool and if you enjoy the game more for it more power to you, but if it's that important to you that you can't live without it then you might be playing video games for the wrong reason.

(the right reason is to have fun doing whatever)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Romes128 posted:

You will now be told JRPGs are different and don't count.

But FFVII also had cross dressing so maybe not, depends how they want to spin it

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

You will now be told JRPGs are different and don't count.

But FFVII also had cross dressing so maybe not, depends how they want to spin it

JRPGs are anime. All western RPGs are Disney's Gargoyles.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
People in this thread seem to be conflating meaningful character choice with having a blank slate character, which can help but isn't strictly necessary.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Delsaber posted:

JRPGs are anime. All western RPGs are Disney's Gargoyles.

I remember one of the gargoyles was gay, but I forget which. Was it Brooklyn?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lotish posted:

By this logic Planescape Torment isn't an RPG.

In Planescape Torment your character is a blank slate of a sort, you can choose to re-integrate your old life and personality or develop into someone new.

Romes128 posted:

I think you are forgetting about Final Fantasy 1 :colbert:

I any case, yeah RPGs used to be defined as "games with a stat system and XP derived from D&D". But now every drat game has that. Is Call of Duty an RPG? Is Gran Turismo an RPG? If it's not about creating your own character than "RPG" is a basically meaningless term these days.

computer parts posted:

Famous adventure game Mass Effect.

Mass Effect is definitely an Adventure game.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 5, 2015

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Both Planescape: Torment and Fallout 3 give you a character with fairly well-established backstory, for example. Planescape: Torment has meaningful character choices while Fallout 3 does not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have any idea how boring a blank slate RPG where the entire story has to be vague enough to fit your imagined backstory would be?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but imagine how gay you could be if you didn't have to deal with a backstory

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Yeah but imagine how gay you could be if you didn't have to deal with a backstory

LOL!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

In Planescape Torment your character is a blank slate of a sort, you can choose to re-integrate your old life and personality or develop into someone new.

I think you are forgetting about Final Fantasy 1 :colbert:

I any case, yeah RPGs used to be defined as "games with a stat system and XP derived from D&D". But now every drat game has that. Is Call of Duty an RPG? Is Gran Turismo an RPG? If it's not about creating your own character than "RPG" is a basically meaningless term these days.

Mass Effect is defiantly an Adventure game.

No you're literally role playing the character in their world and making decisions in the game world, player created or not. That's where the term RPG comes from.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let me put this in a way that's more understandable.

Homosexuals have spent the bulk of human society shamed, ostracized, and sometimes imprisoned, tortured, and executed for being gay. Modern society is more accepting of gay people now, but only in the sense that it's no longer okay to literally chemically castrate them. The United States only just gave gay people the right to marry (and many state governments are trying their hardest to block it) and the majority of the world still doesn't, and there are still countries that criminalize homosexuality.

For pretty much the entire 20th century, gay people very rarely made significant appearances in the media and it wasn't until the last few decades that it was common for gay characters to not be depicted as sexual deviants and pedophiles. Even then, gay people have spent decades as the butt of jokes when they actually showed up in media: they're depicted as overly feminine, often sexually promiscuous, and jokes are made about straight guys getting hit on by gay guys. Because I guess it's funny that gay people exist? It's virtually impossible to get accurate estimates on what percentage of the population has same sex attraction due to the existing social stigmas even in this more accepting time period; attempts to poll people get anywhere from 1% to 25% or higher, and it's very likely that the number is much greater. Either way, it's likely that a significant number of people in this world are gay, bisexual, or otherwise have some kind of attraction to the same sex. And yet they've spent pretty much most of human history forced to hide their sexuality from the public to avoid being persecuted.

It's honestly completely reasonable for someone to be upset if an RPG character who's ostensibly able to be roleplayed however you want is forced to be straight, especially when the preceding game allowed for a full spectrum of sexualities in the actual game mechanics and had multiple bisexual or homosexual NPCs. Someone who's gay has likely spent most/all of their life at risk of being ostracized and potentially subject to violence, and it's worse when a bunch of jackasses start mocking them and saying loving awful stuff about their sexuality because they don't think it's important. If you're upset that someone wants to see more gay and bisexual representation, it's because you don't understand what the people bringing up the complaints have actually gone through with their lives.

Like seriously, I've seen some of the worst poo poo spouted by people in this thread over the subject. And then you try to defend the awful things you've said with "You can just make believe!" or making jokes about Tumblr SJWs getting whiny. You're actively part of the problem.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 5, 2015

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the game was about being a gay dude searching for his husband and their adopted/surrogate/robot kid I wouldn't care either, fwiw.

It's a game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If the game was about being a gay dude searching for his husband and their adopted/surrogate/robot kid I wouldn't care either, fwiw.

It's a game.

And it's okay not to care. Really, it is. What's not okay is when someone talks about how they want to see more and better gay characters in media (especially an RPG, where it's trivial for them to be implemented) and all of a sudden people come out of the woodwork with "Look at this loving SJW crying because he can't pound dudes in a video game. You want to see robodad balls? Go cry in your rainbows!"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Speaking of representation, I actually like it when games force you to play as a single character with a set background and identify with them way more for it than when it's a customizable blank slate like in new Vegas and bioware games. The marine in new avp has no dialogue or player agency but I identified with him way more because he's a black dude and will always be a black dude and that was cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It would actually be pretty cool if you could toggle the gender for both spouses, so you could have two dudes or two ladies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Black main playable characters that aren't just white people you can customize with different skin tones are relegated to gta games pretty much, if you're lucky a call of duty level might be playable.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Sharkopath posted:

Black main playable characters that aren't just white people you can customize with different skin tones are relegated to gta games pretty much, if you're lucky a call of duty level might be playable.

That's a valid reason to dislike the voiced protagonist in this game, Fallout 4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chitoryu12 posted:

Homosexuals have spent the bulk of human society shamed, ostracized, and sometimes imprisoned, tortured, and executed for being gay. Modern society is more accepting of gay people now, but only in the sense that it's no longer okay to literally chemically castrate them. The United States only just gave gay people the right to marry (and many state governments are trying their hardest to block it) and the majority of the world still doesn't, and there are still countries that criminalize homosexuality.

For pretty much the entire 20th century, gay people very rarely made significant appearances in the media and it wasn't until the last few decades that it was common for gay characters to not be depicted as sexual deviants and pedophiles. Even then, gay people have spent decades as the butt of jokes when they actually showed up in media: they're depicted as overly feminine, often sexually promiscuous, and jokes are made about straight guys getting hit on by gay guys. Because I guess it's funny that gay people exist? It's virtually impossible to get accurate estimates on what percentage of the population has same sex attraction due to the existing social stigmas even in this more accepting time period; attempts to poll people get anywhere from 1% to 25% or higher, and it's very likely that the number is much greater. Either way, it's likely that a significant number of people in this world are gay, bisexual, or otherwise have some kind of attraction to the same sex. And yet they've spent pretty much most of human history forced to hide their sexuality from the public to avoid being persecuted.

It's honestly completely reasonable for someone to be upset if an RPG character who's ostensibly able to be roleplayed however you want is forced to be straight, especially when the preceding game allowed for a full spectrum of sexualities in the actual game mechanics and had multiple bisexual or homosexual NPCs. Someone who's gay has likely spent most/all of their life at risk of being ostracized and potentially subject to violence, and it's worse when a bunch of jackasses start mocking them and saying loving awful stuff about their sexuality because they don't think it's important. If you're upset that someone wants to see more gay and bisexual representation, it's because you don't understand what the people bringing up the complaints have actually gone through with their lives.

Like seriously, I've seen some of the worst poo poo spouted by people in this thread over the subject. And then you try to defend the awful things you've said with "You can just make believe!" or making jokes about Tumblr SJWs getting whiny. You're actively part of the problem.

Fallout 4 isn't going to be the thing that finally makes it totally socially acceptable to be gay. It's a video game. Bethesda has chosen a narrative they want for their game. If you don't like this narrative, don't play the game. For all we know, gay people are ostracized in Pre-War fallout and it isn't until after all the bombs drop that people stop caring and let people be whoever they want.

Todd Howard said they skipped a bunch of stuff between the bombs dropping and when they showed the PC leave the vault. Maybe there's a robot before you leave that says:

"Over the past 200 years many things have become acceptable in the post apocalyptic hellscape."
[That's cool, I was secretly a homosexual the whole time, I'm glad I finally get to be gay in the open]
[That's cool, but I'm a heteronormative cisman/woman so this doesn't really affect me]

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Now I miss the gun derail

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Even Fallout 3 and NV had Yuri Lowenthal doing weird grunts for the male player character, and I didn't like that personally.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Fallout 4 isn't going to be the thing that finally makes it totally socially acceptable to be gay. It's a video game.

And nobody said it would be. But this just started out as someone hoping that Fallout 4 would continue the trend of non-hetero characters in more recent RPGs (which Dragon Age embraced wholeheartedly and New Vegas had to a pretty good extent). It didn't turn into what it is now until a bunch of people started screeching about how having gay protagonists literally doesn't matter in video games and that gay people should just be happy with what they have now.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's dumb to use New Vegas in this argument because;

1. You can have sex with either sexes plus a robot.
2. It's never mentioned whether you're gay or straight or just like loving robots. You decide. There's nothing in the game that forces you either way, and that's not the same as choosing in the game to be gay or straight.
3. Bethesda did not make NV, so we can't expect anything from it to make it into F4.

It would be understandable if people complained about taking out the gay choices in whatever upcoming Mass Effect game since it was an already established gameplay mechanic. But to complain about not having the option in a game where you have an established backstory is pointless. The character creation is completely physical, and has no bearing on the sexual preference of the character and to ask a developer to spend time and money coding it into a game where they have a story and narrative direction that does not fit with what they planned is dumb.

I've been following The Witcher 3 thread and no one is asking why Geralt can't be in a gay relationship. Cause he's a character with a back story. Same in Fallout 4. You're a character in a heterosexual marriage and have a child. Putting in a choice to be gay would seem kind of forced.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
The worse offense on Bethesda's part is making the protagonist extremely boring, to be honest.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

We saw like what, 4-5 dialogue scenes so far? Seems a little early to assume the protagonist is boring/voiced protag was a mistake

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

frajaq posted:

We saw like what, 4-5 dialogue scenes so far? Seems a little early to assume the protagonist is boring/voiced protag was a mistake

It's fairly safe to assume based on what we've seen so far, especially given Bethesda's track record.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

This. :golfclap:

Thread trolls, please gently caress off. Thanks. :boom:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Fallout 4 isn't going to be the thing that finally makes it totally socially acceptable to be gay. It's a video game. Bethesda has chosen a narrative they want for their game. If you don't like this narrative, don't play the game. For all we know, gay people are ostracized in Pre-War fallout and it isn't until after all the bombs drop that people stop caring and let people be whoever they want.

Todd Howard said they skipped a bunch of stuff between the bombs dropping and when they showed the PC leave the vault. Maybe there's a robot before you leave that says:

"Over the past 200 years many things have become acceptable in the post apocalyptic hellscape."
[That's cool, I was secretly a homosexual the whole time, I'm glad I finally get to be gay in the open]
[That's cool, but I'm a heteronormative cisman/woman so this doesn't really affect me]

They aern't going to give you the choice to be gay once you leave the vault. The story system is quite limited, as we have seen with only a few options for each dialog. It is likely safe to say that your characters Wife/Child will have some sort of important role to play in this game, and if that is the case then changing your characters sexual orientation would have a major impact on the story.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Remember the bit where John Fallout opens the fridge, sees Nuka Cola and says "Nuka Cola! Delicious!"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

He/she/it likes nuka cola and dogs. Thats all we can gleam. Thats pretty interesting.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Romes128 posted:

3. Bethesda did not make NV, so we can't expect anything from it to make it into F4.

I agree, but it would be nice to think that Bethesda at least paid enough attention to what Obsidian was doing to take notes and experiment with some of the same ideas, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Frankly, we wouldn't need to even have a debate about whether or not it's cool to have a gay or bi protagonist if we weren't the kind of society where people rush in and start saying a bunch of awful stuff purely to offend gay people to try and shut them up and not have to talk about it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Personally I think they should go full-on gay characters or not deal with it at all. Was anyone playing Skyrim really satisfied to find out literally everyone in the province is a bisexual (but only for the PC, outside of that you see zero gay relationships anywhere ever). Same with the Hawkesexual poo poo from DA2. I liked how New Vegas did it by making being gay part of Arcade and Veronica's personality and backstory, but then Obsidian was also wise to completely exclude player romance at all (Fisto aside).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I hope the laser RCW is in this game what about you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Hihohe posted:

I hope the laser RCW is in this game what about you guys

I'm not much of an energy weapons guy, so I'll hope for That Gun even knowing I'll surely be disappointed.

• Locked thread