Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

BrigadierSensible posted:

No.

All countries sledge. Yes. Australia are the best at it/do it the most. Maybe.

The point here is : when a drunk racist fuckwit, (Warner) punches a babyfaced girlyman dickead, (Root), because "a lot of little things over the night, nothing specific", it is near impossible to defend him. And if you defend him coz, "everyone sledges, stop picking on us just coz we are Aussies", then you are an arseface.

Also in all the noise, nobody is saying how unacceptable it is, (in my opinion), for a player to punch an opposing player after a night out. I mean, this is not Rugby League for fucks sake.

I'm not arguing that someone punching someone else is right. Alcohol was involved, we have differing accounts of what actually happened and Dave Warner has done his penance and him and Joe Root have shaken hands since then.

I'm still waiting on some evidence that Warner is racist apart from "he asked someone he was talking to to use a language they could both understand".

The issue here is whiners making out that the Australian cricket side is a pack of villains just because they're the best in the world at what they do (mentally disintegrating teams while beating them at cricket).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's ugly to watch no matter what sport it is and Aussies do it in every sport they play, even against each other. The television tells them its passion and pride and they nod their tiny little heads until the believe they like seeing grown men spew vitriol to win sports games.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Monkeu's posting is so bad that I'll be rooting for England. Let that sink in.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Monkeu's posting is so bad that I'll be rooting for England. Let that sink in.

Seems to me like you'll be a perfect fit with the other England supporters :laugh:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The sledging talk is boring because Australians will always sledge and whenever Australia is decent people will whinge about it.

I got sledged by fully grown men when I filled in playing grade cricket as a 13 year old.

The way I look at it just fine Australians when they cross the line between aggression and insanity (Michael Clarke to James Anderson) and suspend them when they obliterate the line like David Warner every second test.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Yeah pretty much.

I think it's a cop out to put anti-rear end in a top hat sentiment down to jealousy over results though, their antics are unacceptable whether they are winning or not.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Burn Down Canberra loves McGrath so much because of his top sledging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nOSqtZik2c

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah pretty much.

I think it's a cop out to put anti-rear end in a top hat sentiment down to jealousy over results though, their antics are unacceptable whether they are winning or not.

Oh I don't disagree but its less of an issue when we suck because its kinda funny. When we win its kinda obnoxious.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
relevant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Smorgasbord posted:

Thought's on Gary Ballance's series aggregate? I say 54 (3 tests).

I reckon he'll get one score of more than 20, and then a bunch of single figures, so ~60. In three tests.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Even the baby is racist!!!!!

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Man that baby looks really old

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

EMC posted:

The worst thing about a heap of Australian supporters at the moment (thankfully not all of us in here) is those that think the current Australian team are unbeatable, we have a really strong pace bowling line up and then Steven Smith and half a Michael Clarke in the batting stocks. We got totally smashed not long ago vs Pakistan and I think these Ashes will be pretty close. If Starc and Johnson are anywhere near their best then I think we will win, but Johnson has had issues in England previously and Starc has only played a handful of tests. You know there is going to be some classic lolstralia batting at some point and we are rolled for 200.

I mean we are a genuine chance of playing both Mitchell and Shaun Marsh at the same time.
I think Voges will be important tbh. A steady, experienced hand on the till at 5 gives a fragile batting order a sense of rigidity

Smorgasbord posted:

Thought's on Gary Ballance's series aggregate? I say 54 (3 tests).
37 in two tests imo

monkeu posted:

I'm still waiting on some evidence that Warner is racist apart from "he asked someone he was talking to to use a language they could both understand".
If you're suggesting that telling an Indian guy to speak English doesn't at least have racist connotations then I think you're being disingenuous.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Shmoses posted:

If you're suggesting that telling an Indian guy to speak English doesn't at least have racist connotations then I think you're being disingenuous.

So if you were having a heated exchange with someone and they were talking in a language you didn't understand instead of the language you both spoke and understood you wouldn't ask them to switch? Do you have brain damage?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That baby looks a lot like him. Clearly his genes are superior.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

monkeu posted:

So if you were having a heated exchange with someone and they were talking in a language you didn't understand instead of the language you both spoke and understood you wouldn't ask them to switch? Do you have brain damage?

You honestly think Warner was actually attempting to get him to speak English? You're the one with brain damage.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

When used by a white person "speak English" has racist connotations.

It's frequently used as a derogatory term meant to denigrate a non native English speaker.

Remember that racial abuse incident on a bus in Melbourne? They told the victim "speak English or die".

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/racist-melbourne-bus-rant-against-french-tourist-ends-in-charges-20130723-2qfn9.html

It's a straight up racist thing to say and you can't save it by saying oh he was just politely asking to continue the conversation.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Like in most international sports English is the commonly shared language in cricket, for better or worse. If someone was yelling at me in a language I didn't understand I'd ask them to use a language we both spoke too. If you can't understand that then you're being disingenuous for the sake of villifying a big mean Aussie.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

monkeu posted:

Like in most international sports English is the commonly shared language in cricket, for better or worse. If someone was yelling at me in a language I didn't understand I'd ask them to use a language we both spoke too. If you can't understand that then you're being disingenuous for the sake of villifying a big mean Aussie.

Ok retard. Go away now.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

IceAgeComing posted:

Man that baby looks really old

nearly 30 i think

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

monkeu posted:

Пошёл на хуй

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Sids is a bit of an unfortunate shortening of siddle. I was going to try to work in something about him copying Holding's nickname here but that might be a bit crass.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

RideTheSpiral posted:

Пошёл на хуй

podobnie

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

you're all flamin' galahs

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Still B.A.E posted:

Sids is a bit of an unfortunate shortening of siddle. I was going to try to work in something about him copying Holding's nickname here but that might be a bit crass.

He could also have ended up as Piddle.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

monkeu posted:

I think the pearl clutching about Australia being big meanies is idiotic but this is flat out retarded. Every Australian knows exactly what you mean when you shout 'speak english' at a minority' and it sure isn't 'please speak the common trade tounge so we can communicate in an easier method'.

That said without Australian sledging we wouldn't have things like the entire slips cordon singing backstreet boys songs.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
White man shouts "Speak English" at Indian in Melbourne: Nothing racist about that.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

-Spiffy- posted:

White man shouts "Speak English" at Indian in Melbourne: Nothing racist about that.

International cricket player is shouting at another international cricket player in a language he doesn't understand. The abhorrent monster asks him to use a language they both know quite well that they both speak and understand.

PLUS HE'S AUSTRALIAN SO TELLING HIM TO USE A LANGUAGE HE CAN UNDERSTAND MAKES HIM RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

monkeu posted:

International cricket player is shouting at another international cricket player in a language he doesn't understand. The abhorrent monster asks him to use a language they both know quite well that they both speak and understand.

PLUS HE'S AUSTRALIAN SO TELLING HIM TO USE A LANGUAGE HE CAN UNDERSTAND MAKES HIM RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats about the size of it. If he was wearing a NZ or English cap he'd just be a top bloke.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Guys, it's not racist, some of his best friends wear blackface.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So ... about the actual cricket.

I agree that Voges would add stability to the middle order if/when the top order collapses. (Although with Smith at 3 I have faith taht those collapses will be less often and less significant). Although who would you drop for him?

Watson would be the obvious choice, but the Australian selectors won't drop the useless umpire review wasting prick until someone puts a gun to their head. And as much as I would like to see Voges in the team, I'd prefer M Marsh for his bowling.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

So ... about the actual cricket.

I agree that Voges would add stability to the middle order if/when the top order collapses. (Although with Smith at 3 I have faith taht those collapses will be less often and less significant). Although who would you drop for him?

Watson would be the obvious choice, but the Australian selectors won't drop the useless umpire review wasting prick until someone puts a gun to their head. And as much as I would like to see Voges in the team, I'd prefer M Marsh for his bowling.

I know we have all dreamed of this day but surely at this point Watson would be an outside chance to play - Marsh is taking the all rounder spot and Voges surely did enough in the West Indies to cement a batting spot

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

I would be shocked if the team was anything but that, with Rogers a very outside chance to lose his spot to S Marsh

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is Haddin going to retire the same time Clarke does?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I think win or lose both could easily retire after either this series or the Australian summer, can't see them going too much past that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EMC posted:

I know we have all dreamed of this day but surely at this point Watson would be an outside chance to play - Marsh is taking the all rounder spot and Voges surely did enough in the West Indies to cement a batting spot

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

I would be shocked if the team was anything but that, with Rogers a very outside chance to lose his spot to S Marsh

What are you doing posting cricket stuff in the racism thread?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

What are you doing posting cricket stuff in the racism thread?

Can anyone translate this Hindi poo poo for me?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

EMC posted:

I actually think that Harris going home means that Watson's more likely to play - he's much less profligate with the ball than Marsh is, and if Johnson and/or Starc lose their radar Watto's a good insurance policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Anyone want to join in making some Official Ashes Predictions so we can look back and laugh at how wrong we all were?

Most Runs (Eng): Cook
Most Runs (Aus): Rogers

Most Wickets (Eng): Anderson
Most Wickets (Aus): Hazlewood

Biggest Surprise: Finn gets back into the England side and does well
Biggest Disappointment: Starc

Series Result: 2-2 Draw