Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kashuno posted:

Run 2 gives me ranger/dragoon/samurai/beast master. Almost through world 2 already and having a serious cakewalk. Not really worried about anything normal this run but I'd like to go for a triple crown for the first time. I didn't even bother trying shinryu on my first run but he seems doable with this group. No idea about omega though.

Yeah, Omega is free with that lineup UNLESS you are playing on the mobile version. Just use three people with !Calm and have the Ranger spam !Rapid Fire with the Chicken Knife. For Shinryu, get a Mammon from the roof of the Void Castle to berserk (bounced off a Reflect Ring), and an Oiseaurare from Solitary Island Shrine to blind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

What are the only bard songs I can get in the first world? I kinda wanna make sure I'm ready to go before I start doing all this crap with the meteors

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Rei_ posted:

What are the only bard songs I can get in the first world? I kinda wanna make sure I'm ready to go before I start doing all this crap with the meteors

Might/Vitality, Romeo/Love, and Allure/Charm.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

UNLESS you are playing on the mobile version.

:ohdear:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I've played FF5 a lot but this is the first time I've beaten Omega.

I cheesed him with quick and a poison rod, but a win is a win!

I'm really enjoying my team of knight/time mage/geomancer/dancer. It's a pretty decent set and it's been a good challenge without being frustrating or grindy so far. Geomancers are surprisingly useful in more situations than I thought they'd be when I got assigned it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Geomancer/Samurai/Dancer/Dancer. I know Omega is no hope, but is there any semblance of a Shinryu strat that isn't "grind forever and pray"?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I got a new phone yesterday and it turns out the iOS cloud save feature was just not working? My save isn't there. It's gone. My iTunes backup was also apparently not working. So everything's gone. Oh well. I was headed to Exdeath in W2 on my second run and I had a pretty easy party (Knight / Red / Ranger / Chemist) but I had done quite a bit of AP grinding that I don't want to do again. Is there some way to contact RK/Gilgabot and reroll for this run? Can I do a job fair reroll on all four classes just to start over?

edit: going for a total job fair reroll, woo

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 5, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Newest run is starting with Monk and Red Mage.

This feels like an ominous late game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I was planning out my AP grind since I have Summoner, Red Mage, Ninja, Dragoon. I think I'm gonna spend the rest of the summer in Bal Castle's basement.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Asiina posted:

So I was planning out my AP grind since I have Summoner, Red Mage, Ninja, Dragoon. I think I'm gonna spend the rest of the summer in Bal Castle's basement.

The only person on that team that really needs dual cast is the Summoner if it makes you feel better.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Asiina posted:

Dude, you've got Dual-Wielding Dragoon Power! That poo poo actually makes Dragoon useful. A Jump with two spears has some amazing damage potential. Especially if you get two Dragon Lances. Shinryu, say hi to 15,000+ damage per Jump!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

CVagts posted:

Geomancer/Samurai/Dancer/Dancer. I know Omega is no hope, but is there any semblance of a Shinryu strat that isn't "grind forever and pray"?

So I checked one of the many Fiesta guides out there and found this blurb:

quote:

With a knight or any other heavy armor user: Equip their best weapon, Aegis Shield, Diamond Helmet, Bone Mail, and the Flame Ring. If the initial Tidal Wave gets absorbed by the Aegis Shield and your level isn’t divisible by 2 or 3, he has 3 possible moves that can do anything to you: Fight, Maelstrom, and Lightning. Lightning deals ⅛ of max HP damage, fight is always scary, maelstrom is pretty pointless. If you have a knight, you can !Guard against Fight, meaning Lightning is the only thing that can kill you. Everything else heals you or does nothing. If you have a dragoon, you can jump over Fight. If you have a Samurai, you might get lucky and get a blade grasp. Protect + being in the back row drops his Fights to around 1000 damage which sounds alright but he can use it three times in a row without healing you in between so it’s risky. Destroy Fight with !image, blink from white magic (Wonder Wand if you have to, for one charge at least), !Guard, !Jump. !Spellblade users using this strategy can use drain sword to stay alive and keep their HP up, bone mail doesn’t kill them when they do this.

Turns out I can do this. And I will probably want to kill myself by the time I manage to kill Shinryu with it. :shepface:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ramc posted:

Newest run is starting with Monk and Red Mage.

This feels like an ominous late game.

Monk, at least, can be ground up to a level where they do actual damage. Doing so also incidentally removes pretty much all threat from Almagest, considering.

Red Mage.............. Red Mage can cast Confuse? :downs:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Monk, at least, can be ground up to a level where they do actual damage. Doing so also incidentally removes pretty much all threat from Almagest, considering.

Red Mage.............. Red Mage can cast Confuse? :downs:

And Protect, Mini, Toad, and Sleep. Dualcasting that poo poo is actually surprisingly handy, even in the Void, where many of the enemies are vulnerable to at least one of those statuses. And the ability to put a full-team Protect in a single round should never be underestimated (even if you DO have Golem; after all, the less damage he blocks per hit, the longer he'll last).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Frig off, Titan. :mad:

Though I'm starting to love this team, paper thin defenses and all. Thief's Vigilance + Ninja's Pre-Emptive = extreme initiative advantage. Plus this team was well-equipped to kill Mini Dragons (two Thrown scrolls wipes the lot out, and Toad disables enough of them to ensure that they don't Frostbite me to death in between scrolls), which gave me 3 levels in about 5 minutes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The other thing I like about getting Red Mage is that you get the ability to cure some status effects, Raise, and Cura outside of battle to patch up. For a lot of classes, like Berserker, it's not like they'd be doing anything with that MP otherwise and it saves a ton of money on consumables + I'm lazy and forget to buy consumables.

The biggest problems with Red Mage are anemic offense in the third world and the fact that, if we're talking a normal run, the water crystal has the best chance of giving you an amazing job at 3/5 and Red Mage isn't one of the three.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The biggest problems with Red Mage are anemic offense in the third world and the fact that, if we're talking a normal run, the water crystal has the best chance of giving you an amazing job at 3/5 and Red Mage isn't one of the three.

Excuse me, 4/5. :colbert: If you're playing a Normal, non-risk run, Berserker is a fantastic water job. It gets absurd amounts of synergy from every one of Wind's classes except for Monk, who instead really likes having Equip Axes for some endgame offense. Red Mage is unquestionably the "losing" roll in a normal FJF #water draw, and even that's only if you didn't roll a Wind mage or can't be arsed to grind 1159 AP.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I'm a bit surprised that there's only 311 natural players so far. It doesn't seem like it'll be much harder in the end, but I'm only halfway through world 2 with a really lucky set of job rolls. If I manage to beat this, I think I'll try a natural chaos run next!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

texasmed posted:

I'm a bit surprised that there's only 311 natural players so far. It doesn't seem like it'll be much harder in the end, but I'm only halfway through world 2 with a really lucky set of job rolls. If I manage to beat this, I think I'll try a natural chaos run next!

Natural isn't particularly hard. It's just boring.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Prism posted:

Natural isn't particularly hard. It's just boring.

That makes sense. I've already done a pretty high amount of grinding, and wouldn't be surprised if more was necessary later in the game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah final fantasy 5 isn't a hard game. Literally any team can beat Ned, the question is at what level? Natural run really reduce the amount of strategy you can do. Leaving most teams with only one option, grind until you can win. Classes like blue mage and beastmaster can be creative still but most other classes are just stuck with grinding.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Run #9 is looking fun

Might need to pile up some Elixirs before heading to Galuf's World but I can trash most things with this group. Gonna have to Quick-leak Omega, though.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Finished my first fiesta and first full playthrough with Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai. Samurai was the clear mvp by letting me just grind money and throw it at any problem in my path. Slash ended up being surprisingly useful at points I didn't expect, like Twin Tania.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shwqa posted:

Yeah final fantasy 5 isn't a hard game.

I've made this case before but I actually think Neo Exdeath might be the hardest final boss (not counting difficult optional poo poo) in a Final Fantasy game. That doesn't mean it's a hard game but still!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've made this case before but I actually think Neo Exdeath might be the hardest final boss (not counting difficult optional poo poo) in a Final Fantasy game. That doesn't mean it's a hard game but still!

Enormous HP score across 4 distinct parts, each of which could easily serve as its own boss, incredibly fast and fierce attacks like Almagest, Meteor, and Vacuum Wave, a panic script, and all after another fairly difficult boss? It's really hard to take NED on without a lot of trickery, even outside a Fiesta setting. Considering other final bosses in the series, I'm inclined to agree.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Natalya Fartz posted:

The only person on that team that really needs dual cast is the Summoner if it makes you feel better.

Bufuman posted:

Dude, you've got Dual-Wielding Dragoon Power! That poo poo actually makes Dragoon useful. A Jump with two spears has some amazing damage potential. Especially if you get two Dragon Lances. Shinryu, say hi to 15,000+ damage per Jump!

Yes I'm basically going to have two super-classes at the end of grinding. Two summoner/redmage hybrids with dualcast !summon (and I'll probably choose per battle whether the red mage gets dualcast or summon), and two ninja/dragoon hybrids that'll have dual-wielding !jump. No need to teach the other two anything from the other two classes.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Knight/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Dancer

Dragon lash, why do you evade me so. Please, dragon lash. Please.

(The only reason I can even kill the stingrays for it is because dancer sword dancing with the brave blade is completely nutso damage.)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
My first attempt at taking down NED has ended with an Almagest wipe. We were able to deal with the first one because Dragoon was in the air at the time and blocked the next incoming attack, giving me time to Phoenix Down and dualcast raise a few people. The second time she was on the ground and was only able to get one person up before attacks and Flare took us out.

If I can avoid Almagest I should be okay. I may have to grind a little just to get my HP totals up a bit for the rest of the team. I don't have a way to reduce incoming Holy damage, to my knowledge. No shell or anything like that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cloud of darkness still wins imo, that's a rough loving fight in either version. neo's next hardest though

KataraniSword posted:

Excuse me, 4/5. :colbert: If you're playing a Normal, non-risk run, Berserker is a fantastic water job. It gets absurd amounts of synergy from every one of Wind's classes except for Monk, who instead really likes having Equip Axes for some endgame offense. Red Mage is unquestionably the "losing" roll in a normal FJF #water draw, and even that's only if you didn't roll a Wind mage or can't be arsed to grind 1159 AP.

berserker is good at exactly one thing and there are lots of other jobs that do that one thing better and let you sling potions and run away too. berserker';s trash garbage

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

KataraniSword posted:

"Or"? I think you mean "and."

oh boy, I sure am dualcasting fira, neo exdeath better watch out for this bad boy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

like, ok, if the atb bugs with berserker were fixed and axes couldn't randomly do 50% damage and also didn't have some of the worst accuracy in the game, sure, they'd be good. as-is monk and knight give better str and knight gives better weapons

e: also the bugs where you can just randomly target an enemy that doesn't exist for sandworm and neo and can't control who you're hitting for a bunch of other fights. if leaving a character alive for certain boss fights is actively detrimental i can't call them a good class

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 5, 2015

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
So, I decided to do this, throw some money in the Child's Play donation, despite only having played FFV once, 15 or so years ago and never having finished.

My jobs are Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Samurai. I have not heard great things about the first three classes, although Samurai is evidently good. I'm curious, will I run into late game issues with this team? It sounds like both the Monk and Red Mage run into scaling issues (I can already see this with the RM despite being about halfway though), and the Geomancer won't be useful at all.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

like, ok, if the atb bugs with berserker were fixed and axes couldn't randomly do 50% damage and also didn't have some of the worst accuracy in the game, sure, they'd be good. as-is monk and knight give better str and knight gives better weapons

e: also the bugs where you can just randomly target an enemy that doesn't exist for sandworm and neo and can't control who you're hitting for a bunch of other fights. if leaving a character alive for certain boss fights is actively detrimental i can't call them a good class

The atb and random target things are fixed on the mobile verison :smug:

But they are still in the bottom three classes. Still good though because ff5 is pretty decent at balance.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Gihyou posted:

So, I decided to do this, throw some money in the Child's Play donation, despite only having played FFV once, 15 or so years ago and never having finished.

My jobs are Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Samurai. I have not heard great things about the first three classes, although Samurai is evidently good. I'm curious, will I run into late game issues with this team? It sounds like both the Monk and Red Mage run into scaling issues (I can already see this with the RM despite being about halfway though), and the Geomancer won't be useful at all.

The first three will do well enough until you get to Earth, and after that Zeninage can carry you to the end of the game. Your big weakness will be high-defense enemies. You might try rod-breaking or !Gaia, or perhaps !Iainuki once you've grinded up enough points for it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gihyou posted:

Yeah that is a rough team. But try out the throw gil at the problem skill of samurai and just laugh.

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

I know I've got a team that could triple crown (hello, Chemist) but I'm not sure if I can be bothered to do it.

Is there a simple way to take down Shinryu and Omega that doesn't involve excessive time and mixes, or is it just a matter of slogging through it? Team is Thief, Berserker, Ranger and Chemist.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Shwqa posted:

The atb and random target things are fixed on the mobile verison :smug:

But they are still in the bottom three classes. Still good though because ff5 is pretty decent at balance.

imo they're tied with monk for second worst in the game (geomancer #1!) and red mage is veeeery slightly better (mostly because of the dualcast/whm or blm synergy, i'd rather have a berserker than a red mage without whm or blm).

Gihyou posted:

samurai's easily good enough to see you through the game, give the monk zeninage for boss fights and equip katanas or the nuki for trash (pretend you're kenshiroing dudes) and that's a second decent party member. red mage at least gives you some status effects and rods and geomancer's a decent backup red mage (lol)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My first run was Black Mage / Red Mage / Ranger / Samurai and dualcast was good with the black mage.

Monk / Red Mage / ? / ? though. There should be a #reg type for 'no repeats from the last draw'.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's over!

(Space background best background)

I missed the Fartz pile by a million years, but this is my first ever win of Final Fantasy V and my first ever Fiesta! :woop:

I also have my tripe crown pics as well!

Quality's not great, but wins are wins!

Now to just wait for my profile to update and I'll go again. Not sure what to run this time. I had a fair bit of magic this go around, so maybe No750, or just a regular run for a healthy mix.

Thanks for all your help, Fiestathread! :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Equip Axes is extremely my jam sometimes. :black101:

• Locked thread