Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

he asked nicely nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely

I always kind of assumed that this was why we goons respected his wishes. I love the far side, and if I can thank Gary for all the laughs by just not posting loving cow tools, that's an easy thing to do and feel a little bit good about imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I always kind of assumed that this was why we goons respected his wishes. I love the far side, and if I can thank Gary for all the laughs by just not posting loving cow tools, that's an easy thing to do and feel a little bit good about imo.

I'm sure Gary is looking at this thread right now, a single tear rolling down his cheek as he watches the guy with the 2010 regdate white knight both him and GUNE TRADISHUN

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I don't get the joke here. Can someone explain it to me? :confused:

please tell me this was a really meta far side joke

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The artist of The Far Side, Gary Larson, wrote a sappy letter to the Internet years ago asking people not to share digital copies of his comics because he and his agent and lawyer and whoever wanted to be able to keep making money from creating and reselling compilations of his work without fear of decreased sales due to file sharing. Goons fell for this poo poo hook line and goddamn sinker and would dogpile anyone who posted a The Far Side image. You were able to post whatever the hell copyrighted poo poo you wanted but goddamn you even try posting "Cow Tools" or whatever he asked nicely he asked nicely nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely he asked nicely

Oh, so the joke was "goons".:geno:

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Not sure how that changes the copyright issue, I own most of Larsons books (he's loving funny), it's his sole income, and I liked his style when he asked people in the right way to not do this, when his publisher wanted to go all lawyer on it

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

djssniper posted:

Not sure how that changes the copyright issue, I own most of Larsons books (he's loving funny), it's his sole income, and I liked his style when he asked people in the right way to not do this, when his publisher wanted to go all lawyer on it

Gary Larsen is not losing any money because someone posted an image on a forum.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I may have need of this image in the future :v:

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

:vince:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I started these posts to stop a derail and by God I guess I’ll pump the brakes again.

Stocking Stranglings Part IX: God Calls The Police on Granos

As months passed, the Columbus Police Department continued to work on catching this monster who’d preyed on the elderly again and again. Occasionally something new would pop up that might point to a plausible suspect, and any lead that seemed like it may bear fruit was followed up on. (To his immense credit, Chief McClung and his team did a fine job of weeding out the attention seekers that seem to pop up after particularly heinous acts.) At times it seemed that their actions were desperate – for example, building a composite sketch of a “young African-American” who visited the offices of a downtown business and “acted strange” in the summer of 1978. The vigilance of good men and women had little effect, however, and tense months stretched into weary years.

As 1978 came to a close, eight months after the murder of Janet Cofer, the Columbus Police Department once again closed the special task force fashioned to catch the beast that prowled the night. Eleven thousand field interviews, five thousand vehicle descriptions, and other miscellaneous data was placed into an IBM computer purchased specially for the task. The user could input a location into the program on the computer, and all persons stopped in that area and vehicles surveyed would be returned – a useful way to cross-check anyone who’d been at multiple crime scenes. This was dazzling stuff In 1978, but all the whiz-bang CSI: Small Town Georgia technology at their disposal couldn’t create a suspect out of thin air – and thin air was where the maniac seemed to have gone.

On the first anniversary of Janet Cofer’s death, as a community waited and wondered to see what would happen next, Columbus Enquirer columnist Richard Hyatt opined “It’s not over yet”, and he related the tale of an eighty-six year old widow who kept a loaded gun amongst her cherished family photographs, next to her rocking chair. As the community waited and recovered, the political fallout started. First Ronnie Jones – the task force leader who was brought to tears by being unable to capture this sinister specter, this ghost of garroting, this visitant of violence – resigned from the police force in the summer of 1978, and many believe that he was forced out. The following fall Mayor Mickle – the “praying mayor” who repeatedly assured voters that an arrest was coming as the body count piled higher and higher – lost a reelection after the late Ferne Jackson’s nephew, Harry Jackson, ran on a platform that amounted to, well, “Mayor Mickle promises to keep us safe and couldn’t”. Within the police force many detectives found themselves demoted or out of a job altogether.

David Rose’s Big Eddy Club posted:

According to William Winn, in an article for Atlanta magazine, “A popular courthouse pastime in Columbus is to attempt to list all the individuals whose careers – lives – were adversely affected by the strangler.”

Suspects came and went without arrests being made, even arrests that would seem conclusive – the police department appeared to have learned their lesson after the arrest of Jerome Livas. They were determined not to do or say anything in public until they were sure they had their man. In 1980, Chief McClung ran for Muscogee County Sheriff, a post he lost in a landslide to a man who’d never held any form of public office. By 1982 Jim Wetherington had taken over as Chief of Police and he swore to the public that solving the serial killings remained a high priority for the police department.

Horice Adams came to the attention of the Columbus Police Department in 1983. An African-American man aged 24 at the time, he was a charming individual: in 1980 he robbed a couple for fifteen dollars in their motel room, and raped the woman of the pair. Having recently been freed on parole, in June of 1983 Mr. Adams burglarized and assaulted an elderly white woman in the Georgia town of Elberton. He removed her bedroom window screen, climbed in and began to choke her, but fled when she made some noise and fought back. At the time of his arrest for that crime he was living with his mother in Columbus, much as he was during the Stocking Strangler murders. With thick eyebrows and a pointed chin, he looked a great deal like the composite sketch of the man who “acted strangely” in a downtown business. Combine this tenuous connection with the far more criminally interesting acts of raping one woman and attacking another elderly one (in her bedroom, so perhaps considering a rape there as well), and the Columbus Police Department surely hoped desperately that they had their man.

While the Georgia Bureau of Investigations used their laboratory to check Mr. Adams’ hair and bodily fluids against samples left by the Stocking Strangler, Columbus media speculated over whether the long nightmare was, at last, over. While DNA profiling was still the subject of science fiction at the time, GBI had another method at their disposal – secretor typing. Over 80% of the population are secretors, meaning that any bodily fluid that leaves your body (yes, including THOSE bodily fluids) contain chemical markers that will give away your blood type. While blood typing is still a fairly vague descriptor in some cases – type O positive, for example, is just under 40% of the population – our killer unknowingly gave himself away in a small way. The fluids he left behind indicated that he is part of the population that is a nonsecretor – his body fluids contain only very tiny traces of the group O marker. :siren: This is something that most people are not even aware of, and that cannot be changed any more than your blood type can be changed. :siren: When the tests came back, Mr. Adams was revealed to be a regular secretor. A scumbag, a criminal and a generally awfully rapist all around, but he was not the Stocking Strangler.

Other leads continued to frustrate the police and the community. Ruth Schwob, our sole survivor of the Stocking Strangler, was burgled three days prior to her attack, by a man she recognized – Chris Gingell, whose father was a local television anchor at the time. She testified to police that she believed that Mr. Gingell was also the man who attacked her on the night the Stocking Strangler came visiting. When he was questioned about the burglary, he failed a polygraph with flying colors. However, he was a blood group B secretor, which definitively excludes him from being the Stocking Strangler (IF all the murders were done by one person). The frustration surrounding that investigation was palpable. If a well-to-do white man committed the crimes, it would explain how he knew the layout of Wynnton so well, and why he was so easily able to evade the police, who were looking for a black man for the majority of the investigation.

Other suspects popped up as well. Wade Hinson was arrested on a minor charge just across the Alabama state line, where he confessed to committing the stranglings, and showed deputies how he killed the victims – he was carrying a stocking in his duffel bag, and demonstrated his prowess in the fine art of murder by throttling a doorknob with his stocking. He even threatened to kill the Sheriff’s wife, and informed everyone who would listen that, like the Blues Brothers, he was on a mission from God – only his mission was “to take care of old women”. Jesse Rawling, an African-American man from Columbus, told his estranged wife that he’d committed the murders, and one of the things he told her gave the cops pause: he mentioned that one of his victims had had breast cancer. Jean Dimenstein had had a mastectomy for that very reason, and that fact had not been published in the newspaper or otherwise made out to be general knowledge. :siren: Both men were O-type secretors, and had to be ruled out as potential suspects. :siren:

Finally a break came in the investigation that lead to an arrest. Going all the way back to the fall of 1977, a fellow named Henry Sanderson was visiting his family in Wynnton. He stayed at the home of Nellie Sanderson and Callye East, a short walk from the homes of Ferne Jackson and Jean Dimenstein, who had been recently dispatched from this world. While he lay sleeping, the home he was in – indeed, the room he was in – was burgled. The intruder first tried to enter through Nellie Sanderson’s window, but failed. He succeeded in entering via the kitchen, and entered the room where Mr. Henry Sanderson and his wife lay sleeping. His wallet and keys were gone, along with the car, a Toyota. When the car was found abandoned, a few credit cards had been removed from the glove compartment, along with a blue-steel .22 Ruger.

In July of 1978, Chief McClung mentioned the Ruger in a press conference. There was no definitive link between that theft and the string of killings, but as the robbery took place in Wynnton, the possibility was there. By 1984, one of the detectives who’d been working the pawnshop beat – a likely place to look for that gun – had made his way up the ranks to the robbery & homicide division. He had also made a promise to Cindy Scheible – the granddaughter of the deceased Florence Scheible. He promised to find the man who killed Cindy.

Mr. Sanderson, he of the missing car and gun, had moved in the meantime from the Columbus area to a Dallas suburb. On the morning of March 15, 1984, he phoned the Columbus Police Department.

Detective Sellers posted:

”He calls and he says, I’ve been looking for a .22 Ruger. He said the reason he was calling us someone had phoned him from the police department and left a message that we had the gun.”

Detective Sellers learned two things – one, no one at CPD knew where Mr. Sanderson’s gun was. Two, :ghost: no one at the Columbus Police Department had called Mr. Sanderson. :ghost: Apparently God, a ghost, or whomever called Mr. Sanderson was quite specific, naming Detective Sellers by name. Once he realized that the gun in question was the one that had been stolen from a Wynnton residence, he fixated on that gun. He faxed every police department in America, an act that took him many hours, giving them all the serial number for the weapon and asking to be alerted if they found it. He believed that strongly that the key to the killings was the gun. (Keep in mind, no gun of any kind was used in any of the killings – hence why he’s called the Stocking Strangler, not the Stocking Shooter.)

His gamble paid off. The weapon was traced to an African-American man named Aaron Sanders in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The weapon was confiscated and its path from Columbus, Georgia to Kalamazoo began to be traced. Mr. Sanders got the gun as a present from his mother, Lucille, whose maiden name was Lucille Gary. She’d received it from her brother, Jim Gary, who lived in a run-down house in Russell County, Alabama – just over the state line from Columbus. Mr. Gary was initially not very forthcoming with the police, saying he’d gotten it from a black man, but couldn’t remember who. After some pressure was applied by the police, Jim Gary said he’d gotten it from his nephew, Carlton, for twenty dollars.

Carlton Gary was not a nice man, and at the time this questioning was going on, he was supposed to be in prison for the armed robbery of a Po’Folks restaurant in Gaffney, South Carolina – one of several restaurant robberies he’d committed. He was sentenced to twenty-one years, and while in prison, he’d been visited by Richard Smith of the Columbus Police Department – they were inquiring as to whether he’d committed any robberies in Columbus. In return for a promise of immunity, Gary confessed that he had robbed five restaurants in Columbus, including the iconic Burger King on Macon Road in April 1978 – two days after the final strangling. (If you’re wondering how a Burger King can be “iconic”, well, it’s a big city with a very small town attitude.)

The reason I say he was supposed to be in prison was because on the day that “the phone call from God” got Henry Sanderson to phone Detective Sellers, Carlton Gary decided he’d had enough of prison, and he left. (He would claim that his life was being threatened by another inmate.) When he escaped from prison, his file and prints were sent to the Columbus Police Department, with a warning that an escaped violent convict might be headed their way. The prints were brought to a fingerprint expert to be compared to prints found on Kathleen Woodruff’s window screen – the window the killer entered through the night he ended her life. Detective Sellers went back to his office to await the results, and soon his phone rang, with the results of the fingerprint comparison.

“They match”.

Columbus officially had a suspect for the Stocking Strangler murders – a man whose fingerprints were at the scene of at least one murder, and who had a history of violence. The manhunt was on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thank you wyntyr! I really didn't mean that to spark a giant thing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thank you wyntyr! I really didn't mean that to spark a giant thing.

No harm done. Take this as a token of goon will that we shall not quarrel soon again:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

No harm done. Take this as a token of goon will that we shall not quarrel soon again:

hahaha

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

That's pretty loving funny

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Growing up my family had a house way in the boonies. My room was actually out in a tiny 'guest house' where I was all alone. That would have been alright if it hadn't been just a few miles from where Charles Ng and Leonard Lake had their torture dungeon.

Wikipedia posted:

Lake had custom-built a dungeon next to the cabin. By then Lake may have already murdered his brother Donald and his friend and best man, Charles Gunnar, in order to steal their money, and in Gunnar's case, his identity. Over the next year Lake and Ng indulged themselves in an orgy of rape, torture, and killing... In all, the two are believed to have murdered between 11 and 25 victims at the cabin... In one of the tapes, Ng tells victim Brenda O'Connor: "you can cry and stuff, like the rest of them, but it won't do any good. We are pretty – ha, ha – cold-hearted, so to speak"... While in custody, Lake swallowed the cyanide pills he had sewn into his clothes. After revealing his and Ng's true identities, he went into convulsions from cyanide poisoning and died four days later.

My dad told me all about it and actually ended up viewing part of Ng's trial. I usually tried to sleep in the main house on my sister's floor.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

And a photo of the poor bastard! NMS!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Looks like a stick figure made out of slim jims.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I wonder if he's a big fan of Titannica.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
How is keeping him alive at that point the humane thing to do? If I'm ever at that point, put a bullet in my head. loving christ.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Like they said he was in an induced coma for the vast majority of that. Even if there was a 0.00000001% chance he'd make it, there's still a lot of useful knowledge you can gain by studying and working on someone suffering from a rare (but scientifically important) sickness directly. Think how many rats and rabbits and monkeys we put through hell to further our medical understanding of sickness and injuries and disease, this guy was unlucky enough to get it accidentally, there's no way you throw away an opportunity like that on TOP of trying to argue "morally it's probably safer to put him out of his misery".

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Imagined posted:

I hate you for making me laugh at this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Like they said he was in an induced coma for the vast majority of that. Even if there was a 0.00000001% chance he'd make it, there's still a lot of useful knowledge you can gain by studying and working on someone suffering from a rare (but scientifically important) sickness directly. Think how many rats and rabbits and monkeys we put through hell to further our medical understanding of sickness and injuries and disease, this guy was unlucky enough to get it accidentally, there's no way you throw away an opportunity like that on TOP of trying to argue "morally it's probably safer to put him out of his misery".

hahahahahahahahaha this is the creepiest loving thing I've read in this thread. :shepicide:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
"Well hell, wouldn't it actually be evil if we didn't use every bit of medical technology available to prolong the suffering of our pain-golem?" :psyduck:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no way dude, if I came down with something like that, that could be used to save hundreds of lives down the line, use my fuckin' body for science. Tear me asunder.

especially if I'm in an induced coma and I couldn't feel it or wouldn't be aware of it in the first place

lmao "evil", poo poo dude how are you going to spec into Force Heal if you've got all these dark side points you didn't think this build through at all

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Chichevache posted:

"Well hell, wouldn't it actually be evil if we didn't use every bit of medical technology available to prolong the suffering of our pain-golem?" :psyduck:

Are you kidding me

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Are you kidding me

Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but this sounds like you're totally down with medical experimentation on the terminally ill.

quote:

there's no way you throw away an opportunity like that on TOP of trying to argue "morally it's probably safer to put him out of his misery".

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Has anyone noticed his name was "Ouchi"?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but this sounds like you're totally down with medical experimentation on the terminally ill.

I too agree that if someone suffers from a condition that modern medicine can not fix, we should just kill them and move on. Nothing to be done about it. In due time, knowledge on how to cure it will just form from the luminous ether.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chichevache posted:

If he was like awake and aware yeah sure disconnect him, but if he's in a coma I don't see any issue with keeping him alive indefinitely for research.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Chichevache posted:

If they are in a state wherein they are not suffering or in any way conscious, they are at the very end, and the experimentation can possibly save others, uh...yeah? If my death can save others, or drastically improve the lives of others even, and there is zero chance of saving my rear end and I won't feel anything, more power to the science and medicine pioneers. "Ethical" is not black and white, it's very much gray.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Small chance he could have persisted indefinitely as a sort of badass skinless radiation lich, which would have been hella cool though?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

13Pandora13 posted:

If they are in a state wherein they are not suffering or in any way conscious, they are at the very end, and the experimentation can possibly save others, uh...yeah? If my death can save others, or drastically improve the lives of others even, and there is zero chance of saving my rear end and I won't feel anything, more power to the science and medicine pioneers. "Ethical" is not black and white, it's very much gray.

I usually evaluate consequentialist and utilitarian approaches to "ethics" with the Bristol Scale, though I can understand why you'd want to compare it to colors.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
from a strict futilitarian perspective i find any attempt to do anything ever to be immoral

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ernie Muppari posted:

from a strict futilitarian perspective i find any attempt to do anything ever to be immoral

:laffo: this is fantastic. :allears:

Buh
May 17, 2008
There seems to be two contradictory accounts of this guy; either he was doped into a coma the whole time or he was awake and screaming for death while the heartless bastards kept him alive for their evil science purposes.
What's the reputable story on this one?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Growing up my family had a house way in the boonies. My room was actually out in a tiny 'guest house' where I was all alone. That would have been alright if it hadn't been just a few miles from where Charles Ng and Leonard Lake had their torture dungeon.

My dad told me all about it and actually ended up viewing part of Ng's trial. I usually tried to sleep in the main house on my sister's floor.

You're living somewhere else, right? Calaveras is pretty lovely, even when there aren't a couple serial killers hanging around (I have family who live in Calaveras and they definitely remember the whole thing with Lake and Ng, my grandad was even involved with the court system so they'd get calls from the media trying to get interviews for a while).

Edit: My aunt wants me to note that she was traumatised when she picked up the phone when she was five and got immediately got asked about whether she knew various disturbing facts about the case.

catlord has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Jul 5, 2015

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Small chance he could have persisted indefinitely as a sort of badass skinless radiation lich, which would have been hella cool though?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Glowing_one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Imagined posted:

:nws: Man, I played your song "Try Suicide" right before I tried suicide! :nws: