Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Moviefight:

Schwarzwald posted:

Anti-harmonious? She literally devours her only family.

That's what i mean: the iRex is consciously against 'family', and everything else the protagonists stand for. Instead of seeking 'harmony' and 'balance', she's downright satanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

kiimo posted:

Are you familiar with SMG? He's very good and he's very smart but he dissects movies until you know longer even know how to feel, like a robot repeating the word incongruous until it loses it's meaning forever.

Then you think holy poo poo I'm not reading this movie correctly, as if you ever thought about "reading" a movie...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Hope this helps.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SMG, I do not agree with your interpretation of that scene but it was a very interesting read, and I can't really come up with a better explanation for it apart from "we needed some shock value and having a named but minor character get thrown around and get eaten by a whale dragon is the best we can do". So good job.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Moviefight:

That's what i mean: the iRex is consciously against 'family', and everything else the protagonists stand for. Instead of seeking 'harmony' and 'balance', she's downright satanic.

I think a better companion piece for this would be when the I-Rex bites someone and a crapton of blood spurts out. I think the little line of red on the T-Rex's face in the above scene sold things way better than the goofy amounts of gore Jurassic World sometimes has.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Bee posted:

I think the little line of red on the T-Rex's face in the above scene sold things way better than the goofy amounts of gore Jurassic World sometimes has.

:frogout:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tellah posted:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Hope this helps.

:vince:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

While it's obviously possible to teach people how to read, nobody can 'read for you'. It's a process.

Because what I've written is true, a proper reading will necessarily reach similar conclusions - but the point is the process of reading, which cannot be skipped over.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welcome to the jackoff hour where we take your silly fun dinosaur movie and over-analyze it into this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jurassic Park is literally about a group of critics sent to Jurassic Park to 'over-analyze' Jurassic Park before it's shown to the general public.

They're the protagonists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kiimo posted:

Welcome to the jackoff hour where we take your silly fun dinosaur movie and over-analyze it into this.

Not shown: The shooting script for Jurassic World buried in the dino poop.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's cool if you don't want to discuss a movie, but then why come to the discussion thread for it?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You're right, unbookmarking. Sorry for the derail.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

The only fun thing about this movie is that during the quiet parts if you listened really hard you could hear Mad Max playing in the adjacent theater.

Analyzing it by looking at the weirdly cynical direction, inexplicably bad editing, and mess of a script critically (think "critical thinking" not "lol heres what i think about movie") is the best way to take something substantial away from the 124 minutes I wasted watching this movie.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I'd rather go to Jurassic Park than Jurassic World. Seems much more low key. But I'd probably be too poor for it even with the coupon.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jurassic Park is literally about a group of critics sent to Jurassic Park to 'over-analyze' Jurassic Park before it's shown to the general public.

They're the protagonists.

What does the giant pile of dinosaur poo poo represent?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

INH5 posted:

Previously released blockbuster Last Action Hero.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

INH5 posted:

Communism.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

INH5 posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw this this afternoon, thought it was ok, not terrible but not great either. The divorce subplot felt pretty pointless and I think I would have been more interested in the park inevitably failing on its own merits. More stuff like someone anywhere thinking "free roaming plastic ball" was a good security measure for example, the bemused security guards, or the place being staffed by bored teenagers. Instead it fails because Wu made Hitlersaurus Rex for the military without telling anyone at the park it was secretly part Hitler (btw I was very surprised that Chris Pratt said it was "part raptor" instead of "part human", I waited the whole movie for someone to say it) as part of the military's "use animals for combat" plan which as far as the military is concerned doesn't seem all that bad, to be honest. The raptor pack stuff seemed underdeveloped too. I did like Wu's "no poo poo they aren't real dinosaurs" scene along with the attempts to contain the I-Rex, and thought most of the jokes were pretty cute.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Previously released blockbuster Last Action Hero.
Are... are you badmouthing Last Action Hero? :raise:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Last Action Hero is both very good and very bad, which means it's worth watching.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Last Action Hero has Arnold Schwarzenegger doing Hamlet, which is all I can ask of a film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They shouldn't have given her the Jessica Chastain haircut.

Next time I go the the barbershop I'm just gonna say "Give me the Chastain." And hope it doesn't turn into a scene out of Pulp Fiction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Next time I go the the barbershop I'm just gonna say "Give me the Chastain." And hope it doesn't turn into a scene out of Pulp Fiction.

You'll look fly, I promise you.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Had a good time watching the movie in 2D and 3D. Regardless of the quality of the film, my eight year old self has to know: How are the toys? I had Dino Riders and JP, kids these days need good dinosaur toys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Die Laughing posted:

Had a good time watching the movie in 2D and 3D. Regardless of the quality of the film, my eight year old self has to know: How are the toys? I had Dino Riders and JP, kids these days need good dinosaur toys.
Hit or miss. If you're expecting the DINO DAMAGE soft plastic dinos and human characters and vehicles for them to eat, you'll be disappointed. But there's still some cool stuff that kids would like I think. There's an Irex that can chomp its jaws and attack a little gyrosphere that comes with it, and the gyrosphere can partially break apart so the Irex can eat the generic dude inside. The gyrosphere can shoot a little disc, and the Irex has a spring-loaded DINO DAMAGE wound on its side that pops open if it gets hit.

I mean yeah you'll get people saying "NOT MY JP TOYS" but I think kids today could have fun with them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xenomrph posted:

Hit or miss. If you're expecting the DINO DAMAGE soft plastic dinos and human characters and vehicles for them to eat, you'll be disappointed. But there's still some cool stuff that kids would like I think. There's an Irex that can chomp its jaws and attack a little gyrosphere that comes with it, and the gyrosphere can partially break apart so the Irex can eat the generic dude inside. The gyrosphere can shoot a little disc, and the Irex has a spring-loaded DINO DAMAGE wound on its side that pops open if it gets hit.

I mean yeah you'll get people saying "NOT MY JP TOYS" but I think kids today could have fun with them.

Toys are not for kids. Toys are for the shelves of true men. :colbert:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Steve2911 posted:

Toys are not for kids. Toys are for the shelves of true virgins. :colbert:

Ftfy

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The toys are loving terrible solid lumps of very cheap quality, hollow plastic. I wanted to see if they'd remade the awesome rubber-skinned t-rexes I used to have as a kid so I could put one on a shelf, but the only rex they've made is piss yellow and cheap-feeling. The i-rex isn't much better. Shame!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dog days are over posted:

The toys are loving terrible solid lumps of very cheap quality, hollow plastic. I wanted to see if they'd remade the awesome rubber-skinned t-rexes I used to have as a kid so I could put one on a shelf, but the only rex they've made is piss yellow and cheap-feeling. The i-rex isn't much better. Shame!

There was this peak in the toy industry in the mid 2000s where everything was firing on all cylinders, and then the economy tanked and it's never really recovered since.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

There was this peak in the toy industry in the mid 2000s where everything was firing on all cylinders, and then the economy tanked and it's never really recovered since.
Depends on what you're looking for, but this is more of a discussion suited to BSS (and we've got a thread over there dedicated to it).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sedgr posted:

Saw this the other day and while I wasn't very thrilled by the whole thing I was struck by the idea that the whole movie seems to be made up of really obvious commentary on the idea of franchise revitalization and difficulties of making a summer blockbuster.

Things like:

Zach/Gray-The kids feel like they represent two dreaded kinds of audience the autistic and the disinterested. Both are too young to care about the original franchise but the movie/park is effectively made for them because they are the demographic.
Parents -If the kids are the audience then their parents are the studio interference. Embroiled in their own affairs, mostly phoning up making demands while not actually helping anything.
Claire-Auntie Upper Management/Director. Sometimes the hero, sometimes the villian, mostly making the wrong decisions but central to everything.
Owen- The tough working man thats getting the job done. Representative of the crew perhaps? The people that do the actual work to make a movie. The real heroes of the story.
Masrani- The money. Important but mostly full of optimism and bad ideas.
Hoskins-The mercenary type that comes in and forces through their one bad idea that they are sure is going to save everything.

-Dr Wu's argument that you keep asking for more teeth and claws, effectively a bigger scarier monster, but without the behavior, feels a lot like a nod to the we want sex, blood, and action but still make it PG13 thing that comes up a lot.
-At one point the kids literally fire up a nostalgia-mobile and use nostalgia as a vehicle.
-The final showdown at the end tells you everything you need to know. The original was better. And Jaws, jaws was better too.
-iRex's indiscriminate killing of everything it finds feels a bit like a commentary on how a blockbuster is supposed to work. Killing off all competition when its released.

Honestly there's lots more there but I feel like I'm rambling a bit.

Maybe Claire represents the screenwriter while Owen represents the director?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

dog days are over posted:

But the irex is rubber and battery powered and glows?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruby idiot railed posted:

But the irex is rubber and battery powered and glows?
And roars and opens its mouth. It's huge and pretty impressive for a kid's dinosaur toy.

It also can't stand up unless you disassemble it and Macguyver a counterweight in its hips because it's so front heavy, but that's neither here nor there.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The playskool heroes lines of derpy (insert franchise here) are actually really impressive.

Plus look at that smug grin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

And roars and opens its mouth. It's huge and pretty impressive for a kid's dinosaur toy.

It also can't stand up unless you disassemble it and Macguyver a counterweight in its hips because it's so front heavy, but that's neither here nor there.

Just saw the write-up on that, ugh. Good thing I only bought the Stegoceratops.

e: and the jeep

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the toys, I saw that a bunch of them had the "JW" corporate logo tattooed/grown into their skin.... did the dinos in the movie have that? It seemed especially prominent on the iRex toy, but I don't remember noticing it in the flick.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The best toys are the Imagine-X line. My girlfriend's four year old nephew has a bunch of the playsets, they've got moving electronic parts and all sorts of license things plus generic stuff so you get pirate guys and aliens and Pixar Monsters going to the Batcave.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GORDON posted:

Speaking of the toys, I saw that a bunch of them had the "JW" corporate logo tattooed/grown into their skin.... did the dinos in the movie have that? It seemed especially prominent on the iRex toy, but I don't remember noticing it in the flick.

All Jurassic Park toys have the logo on them. It's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GORDON posted:

As far as I can tell the movie dinos didn't have it, but the JW/JP corporate branding thing has been around on the toys since the first movie.

• Locked thread