Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chaeden posted:

The moment you start fighting super saiyans the game has stopped fighting fair. Notably just because the game could decide at any point that it just feels like using Ultimates forever now. I will say the androids are also fairly tough originally though the nerf to their ultimate that made it less powerful for players has made it a lot easier to get in punching range of them now without getting chain shocked. Use items, and take advantage of invulnerability frames or attacks that you can use fairly safely(Bomber is a good one. Special Beam Cannon obliterates hp if you are beam focused, and it will hit through terrain if you get lucky enough to hit them at a range where that's actually viable.). Since you are on the cell saga missions its probably not a option but I highly suggest Perfect Kamehameha(Learned from Cell), especially with his z-soul that makes you just plain invulnerable while using it.

I'm training under Cell right now, specifically for Perfect Kamehameha; as far as the main quest goes I've just now completed the Android Saga, so I've also got access to 18.

So far, the first two skills Cell's taught me are loving useless, but I'm holding out hope for that last one.The thougth that I'm closer to that than Special Beam Cannon or Final Flash is why I haven't ditched him for Piccolo or Vegeta instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
The gravity one can be pretty useful. But it requires practice to work properly. If it hits a energy attack it just cancels it out pretty much. I'm not great at it but I used it on Beerus' giant energy ball a few times and its damage isn't terrible if you manage to hit people with it. Not really in my primary skill list though no.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Yes, you are absolutely expected to use items. That's what they're there for - to be used. And no, it's not just you - there's a noticeable ramp-up in difficulty around that time.

There's a lot of variation in Ultimate quality; Weekend is okay, while Scatter Kamehameha just sucks. Raditz's Vacation Delete is a good ult for those missions where you're having trouble right now, and Nappa's Giant Storm will stay useful for the entire single-player, as it deals a ton of damage and the AI isn't smart enough to dodge it. Butter's Blue Hurricane is supposedly a comparable ult for strike-focused characters. Speaking of which, it's better to pick one attacking stat and focus on it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Raditz... really sucks at naming his moves, doesn't he? Vegeta has moves like Gallick Gun and Final Flash, Nappa has Giant Storm and Exploding Wave.

Raditz has Weekend.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Danaru posted:

Raditz... really sucks at naming his moves, doesn't he? Vegeta has moves like Gallick Gun and Final Flash, Nappa has Giant Storm and Exploding Wave.

Raditz has Weekend.

Saturday Crush is a great name and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm really bummed you can't color character clothing. I always wanted Goku's turtle hermit GI but I want it in blue, dammit!

Can anyone give me a run down of the million Kamehameha Ultimates that are in the game? I heard Perfect Kamehameha is the best since it apparently has invincibility frames and does the most damage. My only beef with it is my character doesn't shout "Kamehame-ha!" when charging it up. But is there a big difference in damage between them all?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

I'm really bummed you can't color character clothing. I always wanted Goku's turtle hermit GI but I want it in blue, dammit!

Can anyone give me a run down of the million Kamehameha Ultimates that are in the game? I heard Perfect Kamehameha is the best since it apparently has invincibility frames and does the most damage. My only beef with it is my character doesn't shout "Kamehame-ha!" when charging it up. But is there a big difference in damage between them all?

If you break your character well enough and get the right Z souls, the damage difference really, really does not matter.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Cleretic posted:

So this game is way more fun than it has right to be, but I've suddenly started having a lot of trouble starting with the Cell Saga's parallel quests. I thought at first this might have just been difficulties in dealing with the fact the game was now making me fight multiple Super Saiyans, but then 17 and 18 were kicking my rear end too. Is this a point where the game starts expecting you to use items, or is my shittiness just catching up with me?

Since it's related, and I'm also having trouble with it, I feel like my build could be a LOT better. I think I made the mistake of spreading myself out too far early on, so my stats look like this at level 34, playing a female human:

Health: 18
Ki: 16
Stamina: 16
Basic attacks: 16
Strike supers: 4
Ki supers: 29

My outfit's the full Ultimate Turtle Hermit set, an my Z-Soul is 'Feel the wrath of a Namekian' (health regen at full ki, damage reduction at full stamina). My plan is generally to charge in to dish out some early melee damage, then back off and focus on specials for the last leg of things (mainly Destructo Disk as a super and Explosive Barrage as an ultimate, since I can reliably hit with them) but that plan seems to be faltering lately. I know I can respec with the Dragon Balls, but so far I've only got one so even if I will go for a respec I'll need a band-aid solution.

Is there anything I could do in terms of stats and/or equipment, or even just playstyle? Perhaps other specials I can try out? I couldn't hit anything with Scatter Kamehameha, was underwhelmed by Weekend, and as I went through the game Kamehameha seemed to hit far less often and for far less impact, so they've all been retired.

Your stats are way too spread out. At your level you should really pick one attack type and put all your points into that. Maybe consider starting over.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SNOT CORN posted:

Your stats are way too spread out. At your level you should really pick one attack type and put all your points into that. Maybe consider starting over.

And by starting over, he means gather the dragon balls.

Because that's the faster solution.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Burkion posted:

And by starting over, he means gather the dragon balls.

Because that's the faster solution.

Speaking of dragon balls, I've been told PQ 15 is the best place to farm dragon balls due to the bonus objective being a time patroller fight. The description says that defeating Frieza in under three minutes should trigger it, but despite the timer never taking even a full minute, the time patroller only shows up like, a third of the time. Am I doing something wrong?

Also while I'm here, what are the best strike supers? I love the hell out of Orin Combo, but everything else has felt somewhat underwhelming so far.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jimbot posted:

If you have a PC then I have good news friend! (forum requires signup to view)

Installing mods takes a little work but it's worth it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

-Fish- posted:

If you have a PC then I have good news friend! (forum requires signup to view)

Installing mods takes a little work but it's worth it.

Oh wow, that's awesome. How does it handle things in multiplayer?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Danaru posted:

Raditz has Weekend.

Saturday Crush/Crash, Double Sunday, Weekend, Vacation Delete.

Basically he's that guy who always looks forward to breaks.

It's odd though. Most of his moves are such that they're Ki attacks...for someone who's main setup is for strikes. Half of them paralyse(Set them up), or cancel other blasts.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jimbot posted:

Oh wow, that's awesome. How does it handle things in multiplayer?

As far as I can tell other players still see your stuff as normal, when I see other players wearing Chracter clothes they have the colors of the last supposed-to-be-colorable-outfit.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'm way in the end game and I'm still using Double Sunday liberally, it's really quite useful for being such an early move. It's incredibly fast to fire, does decent damage, and has a fair bit of range. Kamehameha replaces it mostly but it has a longer windup and it's always useful to have the ability to fire out an attack in almost an instant.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Okay, gently caress any mission that puts you against Goku/Gohan in super form without a pair of meat shields. I got chain Kamehameha'd from full health to dead with no room to recover.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Okay, gently caress any mission that puts you against Goku/Gohan in super form without a pair of meat shields. I got chain Kamehameha'd from full health to dead with no room to recover.

get the tien dlc and his z soul

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mabels big day posted:

I can't believe their solution to this problem was a Z-Soul that makes Kamemeha null against you. It's such an obvious band-aid.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Covok posted:

I can't believe their solution to this problem was a Z-Soul that makes Kamemeha null against you. It's such an obvious band-aid.

Oh god dammit

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Covok posted:

Is it only Kamehamehas affected? That seems like it would massively neuter pretty much any ki user

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Danaru posted:

Is it only Kamehamehas affected? That seems like it would massively neuter pretty much any ki user

Xenoverse posted:

[Master] Tien's Z-Soul. All moves named 'Kamehameha' passes through and becomes null."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Well drat, looks like I'm not using Kamehamehas on my next character :sigh: I'll be picking up that soul for my punch man though :v:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Danaru posted:

Well drat, looks like I'm not using Kamehamehas on my next character :sigh: I'll be picking up that soul for my punch man though :v:

There's enough good ults that you don't need the ha's to deal damage. Final Flash is spammable in SSJ and I've really been liking Death Ball's homing lately.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My favorite part of all this is how much it syncs up with TFS Tien's "gently caress Power Levels, gently caress Super Sayian, And gently caress YOU!!!" mentality for most SSJ fights against the computer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Covok posted:

My favorite part of all this is how much it syncs up with TFS Tien's "gently caress Power Levels, gently caress Super Sayian, And gently caress YOU!!!" mentality for most SSJ fights against the computer.

I pretty much consider TFS canon at this point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I swear the RNG hates me. I've done the PQ a million times and Super Saiyan still hasn't dropped. I got fed up and just bought the drat thing since I've long passed cleared the Buu storyline.

That mentality Tien has is pretty apt since he, and the other Z-fighters, were pretty much discarded like yesterday's trash in Dragonball Z. If they had any semblance of usefullness it was slowly discarded as the series went on. Pretty much the Buu saga was "Are you a saiyan or part saiyan? No? Then gently caress off, peon."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Danaru posted:

I pretty much consider TFS canon at this point.

Well Ghost Nappa lives on in voice 8.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any hidden parameters I'm not aware of when moving on to the next phases of a PQ? I'm trying to get the Super Electric Strike. I keep Vegeta and Piccolo alive, as the condition says but when I finally beat 17 and 18 in the final area the quest just ends. At first I thought it was because I was low on health, about 50% but the next time I did it I was sitting around 90%. Do I need to beat them with an Ultimate? Does it matter which order?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jimbot posted:

I swear the RNG hates me. I've done the PQ a million times and Super Saiyan still hasn't dropped. I got fed up and just bought the drat thing since I've long passed cleared the Buu storyline.

That mentality Tien has is pretty apt since he, and the other Z-fighters, were pretty much discarded like yesterday's trash in Dragonball Z. If they had any semblance of usefullness it was slowly discarded as the series went on. Pretty much the Buu saga was "Are you a saiyan or part saiyan? No? Then gently caress off, peon."

I didn't watch most of the Buu saga (I fully expect to be pretty lost when I get to that part of Xenoverse) but this was in place as far back as the Frieza saga, possibly even earlier.

Ross from Game Grumps rationalized during the Budokai and Xenoverse episodes of Grumpcade that Krillin must secretly be the most powerful character in DBZ, based on people's reactions to the Destructo Disk. It's the move Frieza decides is legit enough to steal, and the first real 'oh poo poo' moment with Cell is when he blocks the thing. He might get chumped constantly, but his signature move is the one thing that, regardless of the series power creep, remained A Big Deal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jimbot posted:

Are there any hidden parameters I'm not aware of when moving on to the next phases of a PQ? I'm trying to get the Super Electric Strike. I keep Vegeta and Piccolo alive, as the condition says but when I finally beat 17 and 18 in the final area the quest just ends. At first I thought it was because I was low on health, about 50% but the next time I did it I was sitting around 90%. Do I need to beat them with an Ultimate? Does it matter which order?

There's a hidden parameter called "how much the game hates you". In other words, even if you flawlessly clear the mission including the secret objectives, it's still totally RNG-based whether you get the chance to go for an Ultimate Finish or not.

This is the shittiest mechanic in the game, it lowers the value of the player's effort because even if they give it their all and manage to clear everything, it still remains on the game whether it counts or not. Not to mention it locks some stuff under not one but TWO walls of RNG which hate you. If there is a sequel to this game (Xenoverse Super, Xenoverse 2, whatever it is), it needs to remove this completely, Ultimate Finishes should not be luck-based.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe Tien is the backup plan the universe has in case Goku ever needs to be taken down. Kamehameha Immunity is a limited concept but useful in that particular usage case.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Never stop moving, never combo for more than three hits when there's a Super Saiyan you're not currently punching.

Jimbot posted:

RNG.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Jimbot posted:

Cleretic posted:

I didn't watch most of the Buu saga (I fully expect to be pretty lost when I get to that part of Xenoverse) but this was in place as far back as the Frieza saga, possibly even earlier.

Ross from Game Grumps rationalized during the Budokai and Xenoverse episodes of Grumpcade that Krillin must secretly be the most powerful character in DBZ, based on people's reactions to the Destructo Disk. It's the move Frieza decides is legit enough to steal, and the first real 'oh poo poo' moment with Cell is when he blocks the thing. He might get chumped constantly, but his signature move is the one thing that, regardless of the series power creep, remained A Big Deal.

I think Piccolo and Tien are about the only ones who stayed useful outside of the Saiyans. Piccolo and Tien both held their own against Cell, and Tien went a step further and did the same against Buu. I think the tribeam is about the only loving thing that stays up as an 'oh gently caress' attack with the destructo disk, at least from the original Z-Fighters. I don't think a single villain was concerned about the wolf fang fist or dodon ray. :v:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Don't talk poo poo about Chiaotzu.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Don't forget good ol' Solar Flare, cause it turns out that even if your power level is n^99 eyes are still kind of important to have functioning.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Dyne posted:

I think Piccolo and Tien are about the only ones who stayed useful outside of the Saiyans. Piccolo and Tien both held their own against Cell, and Tien went a step further and did the same against Buu. I think the tribeam is about the only loving thing that stays up as an 'oh gently caress' attack with the destructo disk, at least from the original Z-Fighters. I don't think a single villain was concerned about the wolf fang fist or dodon ray. :v:

Tien and Chiaotzu also dodge the Human Extinction Attack, which is impressive, though they still get blown up along with the planet later, if I recall correctly.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Danaru posted:

Speaking of dragon balls, I've been told PQ 15 is the best place to farm dragon balls due to the bonus objective being a time patroller fight. The description says that defeating Frieza in under three minutes should trigger it, but despite the timer never taking even a full minute, the time patroller only shows up like, a third of the time. Am I doing something wrong?

Also while I'm here, what are the best strike supers? I love the hell out of Orin Combo, but everything else has felt somewhat underwhelming so far.

Just RNG but I tend to use the first Ginyu Mission in the city for farming dragonballs. You can tell if the time patroller has showed up the moment you start the mission then retry until he spawns. Kick his face in, get a key item?, if yes kill ginyu force if no retry.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
For those who don't know, Dragon Ball Super started up today. If nothing else there might be content from that for a Xenoverse 2.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Syrant posted:

For those who don't know, Dragon Ball Super started up today. If nothing else there might be content from that for a Xenoverse 2.

It looks like DBS is going to redo the two most recent movies (Battle of Gods and Revival of F) with a bit more side-story stuff and more elaborate storylines before getting into wholly new content, but I think we'll see a Dragon Ball Super Xenoverse sometime in the next few years for sure.

Also the second episode has Vegeta going on a family vacation so it's already the best Dragonball series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Also the second episode has Vegeta going on a family vacation so it's already the best Dragonball series.

Is this on par with Goku and Piccolo getting driver's lessons?

Because I had that episode on VHS, so it's close to my heart. I want those costumes in Xenoverse like, now.

• Locked thread