Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

So my making a video which addresses women's rights and transgender issues has... not gone over great with certain of my fans.

I cannot decide which part of this image is the worst. The unformatted textwall? The unironic recommendation of A Voice for Men? "Fraudulent Frequency"? Or the 12 upvotes?

This is reinforcing my strongly held belief that Gurren Lagann is a good show, but no one should ever watch it because the fandom cannot be allowed to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DStecks posted:

I am truly sorry for that, there's just nobody else I can discuss it with. loving actual self-identifying MRAs have come out of the woodwork like so many cockroaches; and everyone I know in real life has no clue what the gently caress anything I just said means, and the other place where I can discuss my videos... let's just say they don't have the same views on MRAs that goons do. :smith:

It's okay man. If it makes you feel any better you can read articles on Ellen Pao, the new CEO of Reddit. She's griefing on a completely different level by being a women, an asian, and a person who is cracking down on the more racist and bigoted sectors of that site. If you want to dig deeper you can see how desperate they are to discredit her for enacting actual policy and moderation to their privately owned forum.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is reinforcing my strongly held belief that Gurren Lagann is a good show, but no one should ever watch it because the fandom cannot be allowed to win.

This can be said for any show, really.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

This can be said for any show, really.

Not as much as it can of Gurren Lagann.

Only Monty Python approaches it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Annointed posted:

It's okay man. If it makes you feel any better you can read articles on Ellen Pao, the new CEO of Reddit. She's griefing on a completely different level by being a women, an asian, and a person who is cracking down on the more racist and bigoted sectors of that site. If you want to dig deeper you can see how desperate they are to discredit her for enacting actual policy and moderation to their privately owned forum.

You actually believe that? Reddit isn't cracking down on anything, if they actually gave a poo poo they would've removed stuff like /r/coontown long ago. The only time they remove subreddits like that are when they start getting so huge that media groups start noticing it and it causes bad press or they get threatened with lawsuits like what happened when those Jennifer Lawrence nudes got leaked. They don't actually give a poo poo until it's big enough to make them look bad.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

an actual comment on my video posted:

This is Dstecks's (il)logic.

MRA's must just be angry virgins who resent women for not sleeping with them because if they were actually for men's rights (the fact that he puts "mens rights" in quotations shows he doesn't believe theyre real gender rights issues) then they'd just be feminists! And because they're not feminists, they must have bigoted reasons for being MRAs.

It's circular logic. MRAs are MRAs and not feminists because we support mens rights but find that modern feminist theory is built on misrepresented and false statistic, gynocentric and misandrist theories that have already created a culture where theres no reason for men to get married or enter a long term relationship, where art and speech is in constant danger of being censored, a culture where single motherhood is at an all time high, a society where being a "real" man is solely defined by how said man relates to women and how willing he is to accomodate women's interests.

Thinking that MRAS must be MRAS because of lack of female interest is just another form of trying to classify and define men by how they relate to women. It's textbook gynocentrism.

I'm sorry. I'm going to stop now. But this one was just so sad. gently caress the Chris-Chan community forever.

FAKE EDIT: Also gently caress when people forget to capitalize the S in DStecks. :argh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't believe these men's right activists may control the fate of the middle east!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Asuron posted:

You actually believe that? Reddit isn't cracking down on anything, if they actually gave a poo poo they would've removed stuff like /r/coontown long ago. The only time they remove subreddits like that are when they start getting so huge that media groups start noticing it and it causes bad press or they get threatened with lawsuits like what happened when those Jennifer Lawrence nudes got leaked. They don't actually give a poo poo until it's big enough to make them look bad.

Reddit cracking down is how redditors perceive it though.

They are cracking down on brave independent centers of free speech. :freep:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asuron posted:

But enough about tvtropes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

But enough about tvtropes.

Well TvTropes did delete all of troper tales, let's be fair here. The Reddit equivalent would be if they deleted a few troper tales pages, then called it a day.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well TvTropes did delete all of troper tales, let's be fair here. The Reddit equivalent would be if they deleted a few troper tales pages, then called it a day.

Speaking of which, have they done anything noteworthy in the past year. When the last thread died everyone admitted it was just kind of samey stuff that that time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jsor posted:

I can't believe these men's right activists may control the fate of the middle east!

I laughed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

Speaking of which, have they done anything noteworthy in the past year. When the last thread died everyone admitted it was just kind of samey stuff that that time.

Nah, same old same old. Fast Eddie is gone too

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah and a layout that doesn't make me want to puke. Oh well at least I had some good laughs. Time to move one to greener pastures to gawk at.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wait didn't Eddie own the website or something? Thats a shame he's gone, he was the source of a good amount of the humor.

This made me go back to see some of the "This Troper" videos and I remember that feeling of second hand embarrassment. WHY DON'T GIRLS LIKE LAZY GENIUSES?!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DStecks posted:

FAKE EDIT: Also gently caress when people forget to capitalize the S in DStecks. :argh:

Sorry about that DsteckS, won't happen again.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! And I definitely want to do The Langoliers (lord help me). I have a handful of Dean Stockwell movies I wanna cover now, but I feel I should spread them out a bit. I gotta do Sinbad first though, 'cause holy poo poo.

I nominate one of the first Dean Stockwell movies ever. THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR. At first you think it's just a lame 50s kids movie, but then it turns out it's secretly communist. No joke - the director got blacklisted in the red scare.

Oh and thanks so much for giving us all the insights about the TGWTG movies. It just sounds so bizarre and so badly organised. I feel like my rubbish student films were better, because at least they didn't force people to do things that they were seriously uncomfortable with.

achillesforever6 posted:

That's kind of how these things work where a bunch of people see the Angry Video Game Nerd and Nostalgia Critic getting a lot of views/making money and decide "Hey if I just copy this with a little spin I'll make a ton of money and become famous". And it works for a little bit until audiences get bored of the saturation of the same stuff so in order to survive, some change the format to be something new. At least that's my take.

a lot of people really start doing this stuff without really knowing how to make a good show, or how to edit or film or anything. Yes, there are people who are at film school or have professional experience, but most people really are learning on their feet and so they use the formula as a crutch, especially when they're still struggling through the technical stuff. And I say that as someone who has a few formulaic conventions that I use as a tactic (for some reason it's psychologically easier to write a script when I know that the first step is just to write down my intro/greeting, and then go from there.)

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's a cynical way of looking at it. At the very least, assume that people who want to make reviews have passion about the things they want to review, but they just don't know how to format it as a review, so they find the most popular review shows and take that format.

Leastways that's how it worked way back when there was no money involved even for the big names like AVGN or Nostalgia Critic. I guess there are people who start review shows now who are thinking money first, but I can't imagine they survive long.

That's a nicer way of looking at it. This is definitely not a good thing to do if you're trying to think of money, because in terms of the time you expend, for most people, it costs way more than you'll ever get as a return.

Paladin posted:

If you're playing the Kevin Bacon game from memory only, this movie is critical for linking the Phil Silvers/Cid Caeser/Milton Berle block to the modern era. Borgnine gets you into everything from the Dirty Dozen, Spongebob, and, most importantly, the stupid-cameo-filled 1985 made-for-TV Alice in Wonderland which, if you had bothered to memorize it, is BASICALLY cheating.

I remember reading a quote about The Kevin Bacon Game, and how Rod Steiger was actually one of the most linked actors, which is bizarre because I don't think he had many starring roles. I think he was just a very prolific That Guy. I threw some random names at the oracle of Bacon, using Steiger, and got a link to The Situation/Sam Mraovich/Marina Abramovic and several other not actors in 3 degrees, and he's linked to lots of non-American actors like David Gulpilil, Max Riemert and Noni Hazlehurst in 2 degrees. It did take me a lot of random actors to get to one degree though - Jack Nicholson was the first I tried to get 1 degree of separation.
I think character actors are the best actors to use for the Kevin Bacon Game.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

DStecks posted:

I'm sorry. I'm going to stop now. But this one was just so sad. gently caress the Chris-Chan community forever.

At least you know you're doing something right when you get this kind of response. It's when they post a rant like that in agreement that you should worry.

Jsor posted:

I'd watch that movie.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DStecks posted:

I don't think I would've had the spirit to continue making something if I were realizing that I were attracting those people. :sigh:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Jsor posted:

They kinda do. They’re called ISIS.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think character actors are the best actors to use for the Kevin Bacon Game.

You know what's funny? Thanks to the anniversary movies and the AVGN movie, everybody who appeared in them is six degrees or less from Kevin Bacon. Hell, if you include review shows, everybody else is too.

I've been going over Anime Abandon again recently, and I'm sorta bummed they stopped doing the crossovers with Spoony. Space Thunder Kids, Garzey's Wing and Diatron 5 were fun to see. The first two have the bonus of Ed Glazer as a literal asswipe. (no, that's not an insult in context) By the way, if there's an hour and a half of your life you never want back, the whole Space Thunder Kids movie is on youtube.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

You know what's funny? Thanks to the anniversary movies and the AVGN movie, everybody who appeared in them is six degrees or less from Kevin Bacon. Hell, if you include review shows, everybody else is too.

Yup, Doug's (and James's) is two. He was in the AVGN movie with someone named Time Winters, who was in Murder in the First with Kevin Bacon.

My Bacon number is three. I was in Dirk Dangerous with Aidan Shipley, who was in Red Lights with Robert De Niro, who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I nominate one of the first Dean Stockwell movies ever. THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR. At first you think it's just a lame 50s kids movie, but then it turns out it's secretly communist. No joke - the director got blacklisted in the red scare.
Its actually a pretty interesting movie. A boy whose parents died in World War II has his hair turn green, at first thinking its some kind of stigma (both for having no parents and for having a deformity), then gradually realizes how it defines who he is as an individual, eventually learning that its a part of who he is and not something to be ashamed of. Heavy stuff for something aimed at kids.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh and thanks so much for giving us all the insights about the TGWTG movies. It just sounds so bizarre and so badly organised. I feel like my rubbish student films were better, because at least they didn't force people to do things that they were seriously uncomfortable with.

I want to see Boy with Green Hair just because it's one of Dean Stockwell's most famous movies, though I doubt I'll review it as it doesn't seem in my wheelhouse. I know he's stated in several interviews that he's proud of the message in the movie, which I think means something since he's also talked about how mixed he was about being a child actor.

And no prob, I got no issue talking about the anniversary films. Honestly Suburban Knights was a wonderful experience overall, camera crisis aside, and there was a real sense of camaraderie trying to finish it. TBF not so much. I can point to it as the exact turning point where things went from "CA kinda does dummy things sometimes" to "we're actually being treated like crap here." That being said, I'd still do it again, because I have some very fond memories of time spent with my friends there. It was this strange bond people only get when experiencing something very traumatic together.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bad Wolf posted:

I've been going over Anime Abandon again recently, and I'm sorta bummed they stopped doing the crossovers with Spoony. Space Thunder Kids, Garzey's Wing and Diatron 5 were fun to see. The first two have the bonus of Ed Glazer as a literal asswipe. (no, that's not an insult in context) By the way, if there's an hour and a half of your life you never want back, the whole Space Thunder Kids movie is on youtube.

Yeah well, there's a lot of reasons to get bummed when Spoony is involved.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bad Wolf posted:

Spoony did do the Dungeoneering for Assholes bit (okay, he did the second one, I think KaiserNeko did the first). Though if I'm being honest, I'm pretty happy with the setup that Sage has now. Getting Mark and Gabe on his production crew really made his videos improve, and he's got a consistent release schedule now. I remember when Bennett used to release four or five videos in a week and a half, followed by over a month without anything. And the fact that he can keep such a schedule and have some wildly varied reviews (from laughing at schlock to in depth analysis) is pretty impressive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 6, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Spoony did do the Dungeoneering for Assholes bit (okay, he did the second one, I think KaiserNeko did the first). Though if I'm being honest, I'm pretty happy with the setup that Sage has now. Getting Mark and Gabe on his production crew really made his videos improve, and he's got a consistent release schedule now. I remember when Bennett used to release four or five videos in a week and a half, followed by over a month without anything. And the fact that he can keep such a schedule and have some wildly varied reviews (from laughing at schlock to in depth analysis) is pretty impressive.

I think his anime reviews have almost always been consistent. In the beginning he might have done 2 a month before doing his standard 3 a month. His video game reviews before that varied on the video game.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Robert Denby posted:

Its actually a pretty interesting movie. A boy whose parents died in World War II has his hair turn green, at first thinking its some kind of stigma (both for having no parents and for having a deformity), then gradually realizes how it defines who he is as an individual, eventually learning that its a part of who he is and not something to be ashamed of. Heavy stuff for something aimed at kids.

Miss Wallace posted:

I want to see Boy with Green Hair just because it's one of Dean Stockwell's most famous movies, though I doubt I'll review it as it doesn't seem in my wheelhouse. I know he's stated in several interviews that he's proud of the message in the movie, which I think means something since he's also talked about how mixed he was about being a child actor.

I saw The Boy With Green Hair originally because my father proclaimed it to be the worst movie he'd ever seen, a fact not helped by him seeing it in black and white on a TV in rural Australia (probably not great picture quality there.) Turns out it was a) not anywhere near as bad as he'd thought it was, and b) it's definitely interesting to think about, especially when you know a little about the director. I mentioned the film briefly in my review of The Servant, but I talk about it in more detail on my letterboxd.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DStecks posted:

My Bacon number is three. I was in Dirk Dangerous with Aidan Shipley, who was in Red Lights with Robert De Niro, who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon.

Hmm... I was an extra in the video for Reframed by The Headstones, fronted by Hugh Dillon.

Hugh Dillon was in Flashpoint, co-starring Jessica Steen

Jessica Steen was "Pilot" on Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

Which was written by J. Michael Straczynski, who also wrote Thor

Thor starred Kimberly Evan, who was also in R.I.P.D.... with Kevin Bacon

So that's what, 5? I'm sure I can do better, but this path takes me through a proto Babylon 5, so I'm happy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

lornekates posted:

Hmm... I was an extra in the video for Reframed by The Headstones, fronted by Hugh Dillon.

Hugh Dillon was in Flashpoint, co-starring Jessica Steen

Jessica Steen was "Pilot" on Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

Which was written by J. Michael Straczynski, who also wrote Thor

Thor starred Kimberly Evan, who was also in R.I.P.D.... with Kevin Bacon

So that's what, 5? I'm sure I can do better, but this path takes me through a proto Babylon 5, so I'm happy.

Wait can you go through writers? I thought it was only actors.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I didn't know you could go through writers, but the Oracle of Bacon includes directors. Granted, many directors are also actors, whether as a second career, or just due to the technicality of appearing in cameos/as extras onscreen. However, some people can't be linked because...

oracle of bacon posted:

About 12% of all actors cannot be linked to the rest of the movie universe, either because they have appeared only in video games or straight-to-video releases that the Oracle doesn't count, or because they have not appeared in any films with actors from the Hollywood mainstream.

I was an extra in this film so if I get an imdb credit I suppose I too can be part of the Kevin Bacon Game. It's not likely I'll get one though, I didn't have any lines.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 7, 2015

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

HopperUK posted:

Wait can you go through writers? I thought it was only actors.

Hmmm... JMS was one of the guys trying to lift Mjonir in Thor. If he has a cameo in Captain Power, this can still work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bad Wolf posted:

I remember about a year after I saw the Garzy's Wing review for the first time I stumbled across a clip of Crispin Freeman at some anime con doing some kind of "Terrible Anime Voice Acting 101" panel and the clip he used to start the panel was from Garzy's Wing. So it made me chuckle and go "hey, I know that piece of poo poo!"

I don't know why Sage and Spoony stopped doing their yearly crossovers either, especially because Bennett was one of the few TGWTG people (outside of Brad and Hagan, really) to stick by Noah after Spoonygate. I guess Noah moving to Illinois must have made things more difficult.

Still, Sage has always been spot on with his videos, but if you want to see him at probably his absolute best, watch his Wings of Honnemise and Macross Plus reviews.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought his Video Girl Ai video was pretty good.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I was in Cheapskate Live! with Allison Pregler, who was in Ninja: the Mission Force 2 with Brad Jones, who was in Ninja: the Mission Force with Stuart Ashen, who was in Ashens and the Quest for the Game Child with Warwick Davis, who was in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy with Sam Rockwell, who was in Frost/Nixon with Kevin Bacon. Exactly six degrees.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the newest Half in the Bag is one of the best ones they have done.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

echopapa posted:

I was in Cheapskate Live! with Allison Pregler, who was in Ninja: the Mission Force 2 with Brad Jones, who was in Ninja: the Mission Force with Stuart Ashen, who was in Ashens and the Quest for the Game Child with Warwick Davis, who was in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy with Sam Rockwell, who was in Frost/Nixon with Kevin Bacon. Exactly six degrees.
Warwick Davis is a hero and a saint. Now, somebody link Rich Evans to Bacon and we're all set.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

quakster posted:

Warwick Davis is a hero and a saint. Now, somebody link Rich Evans to Bacon and we're all set.
If you count wrestlers who have actually wrestled each other

So Rich evens was in an episode of Best of the Worst with Len Kabasinski who was in Curse of the Wolf with The Blue Meanie, JBL, Dave Bautista, who was in Guardians of the Galaxy with Djimon Hounsou who starred in White Elephant with Kevin Bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

stingtwo posted:

If you count wrestlers who have actually wrestled each other

So Rich evens was in an episode of Best of the Worst with Len Kabasinski who was in Curse of the Wolf with The Blue Meanie, JBL, Dave Bautista, who was in Guardians of the Galaxy with Djimon Hounsou who starred in White Elephant with Kevin Bacon.

I thought of an even quicker route:

1. Rich Evans was on an episode of Half in the Bag (as George Lucas) that guest-starred Tim Heidecker.
2. Tim Heidecker was on Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job which had Michael Gross in a segment ("Cinco Sleeping Chair").
3. Michael Gross co-stars with Kevin Bacon in Tremors.

• Locked thread