Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffleman_ posted:

Lookit who appeared in Little Witch Academia 2.

Steven got shafted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No room for fat children in anime.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

(x)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Renaissance Robot posted:

No room for fat children in anime.

I've been told this is IanJ and Rebecca. I have a hard time buying it though, cause, well... Ian's not white. :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's for the best

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Please, you discovered the Homeworld Gems' dark secret.

(x)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

kefkafloyd posted:

I've been told this is IanJ and Rebecca. I have a hard time buying it though, cause, well... Ian's not white. :v:

Eh, I could believe they'd do something unthinkingly racist like put in a 'cameo' of a particular black person but then make them the same colour as the rest of the crowd so as not to stand out. Specifically thinking something like "people would think it's weird to suddenly have a random black guy in centre shot, right?" (or "we're trying to evoke a European setting, and euros are all light skinned") which is obviously hella racist, but that's :japan:

And it really does look a lot like them, apart from the skin tone thing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 5, 2015

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Still looks like a black dude to me.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Lookit who appeared in Little Witch Academia 2.

You did it, Connie. You made it into the animes. I'm so proud of you.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Roger Explosion posted:

Still looks like a black dude to me.

Sorta, but the skin tone says "white dude" unless you're told specifically otherwise. I'm reminded of the comic on the nib.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, he's got the same shade as Rebecca's character, and Rebecca is pretty dang pale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Connie's a bit pale too.

Do cartoons get outlined and then colourised in different departments?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

TwoPair posted:

(x)

Heck yes

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I think what's most likely is the colorists weren't instructed otherwise since whoever slipped in the cameos probably didn't think to mention it (or couldn't, depending on who actually was responsible for it and how much communication they had with the colorists in the first place). The crowd scenes are relatively brief and they also had the rest of movie to work on, so they likely just used the same general tone for everyone in the crowd, since you can't really expect some random japanese animator or colorist to be familiar enough with staff/characters on an unrelated foreign cartoon to notice something like that if it's not explicitly pointed out.

MikeJF posted:

Connie's a bit pale too.

Do cartoons get outlined and then colourised in different departments?

Yes, anime nowadays is generally colored digitally by a separate team once the actual animation has been completed. It's difficult to know what exactly Trigger's workflow is but that's how most other studios do it, so I am making some assumptions here.

cathead fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 5, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

cathead posted:

I think what's most likely is the colorists weren't instructed otherwise since whoever slipped in the cameos probably didn't think to mention it (or couldn't, depending on who actually was responsible for it and how much communication they had with the colorists in the first place). The crowd scenes are relatively brief and they also had the rest of movie to work on, so they likely just used the same general tone for everyone in the crowd, since you can't really expect some random japanese animator or colorist to be familiar enough with staff on an unrelated foreign cartoon to notice something like that if it's not explicitly pointed out.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're intentionally being racists, I just wasn't sure if it was an intentional cameo for him or not.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TwoPair posted:

(x)

i'm so. mad im gonna fuse with partner so i wont be so mad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello Steven Universe thread, I drew a Garnet, I don't like drawing stars well bye

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Macaluso posted:

Hello Steven Universe thread, I drew a Garnet, I don't like drawing stars well bye

You get back here and let us tell you how good this is

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

I wish this comic has more panels cuz I still don't know how the gently caress that even works.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Awwww man it's always Roger Pearl *honk honk*

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I wish this comic has more panels cuz I still don't know how the gently caress that even works.

Rose was involved in gem and biological research that made even modern homeworld research look like cavemen banging rocks together. Steven is her magnum opus, once he masters using his body and his gem in harmony, he'll basically be Thanos. You can read all about it on my blog.

Here's what I think is a small spoiler about sardonyx from Steven's voice actress from the Latin American dub: https://twitter.com/LeishaMedina/status/617501611796078592

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Motherfucker posted:

Apparently it involves shape-shifting.:v:

Pretty much every comic by that person is funny as hell:
"GEMSONAE":

I can hear the lines in everyone's voices, it's that accurate.

"The Hot One":

"Shapeshifty":

All are from here, obviously.

Some of these might have been posted before, but they're funny as hell so here they are again!

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 6, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flying-PCP posted:

Here's what I think is a small spoiler about sardonyx from Steven's voice actress from the Latin American dub: https://twitter.com/LeishaMedina/status/617501611796078592

Care to translate because Google is doing a poo poo job for me

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Basically just that Sardonyx will first show up in episode 64, which is Keystone motel. Makes me wonder why they're just randomly going to onion's house right after meeting a new gem

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flying-PCP posted:

Basically just that Sardonyx will first show up in episode 64, which is Keystone motel. Makes me wonder why they're just randomly going to onion's house right after meeting a new gem

Maybe Onion has something important there?

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Flying-PCP posted:

Maybe the new gem gets poofed, and Onion just picks it up and pockets it

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

Spiffster posted:

Awwww man it's always Roger Pearl *honk honk*

I spent the first 20 episodes swearing Lars was just Billy West doing Roger's voice again.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well, she does go fast.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Love that they found a way to incorporate Roger's little guitar sting music cue

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
https://twitter.com/Greliz/status/614891926915952640

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO IN THE GREAT GEM WAR...

*smoke pours in*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We are snake people from the moon.

YEAH, WE'RE FUCKIN' SNEEPLE!

I would flip you off, but I don't have hands.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Would that mean Steven is Carl?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Does anyone else kind of hope Sneeple end up being real?

Picture this: later in the series Steven and the Gems start meeting other alien races, and one of those alien races ends up being a bunch of reptilian people that look an awful lot like snakes. I'd love it if they were all very friendly and nice, but Ronaldo is still super convinced they're somehow sinister (they don't mind though, because they're way chill and think he's a cool and funny guy).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
watching 'we need to talk' again and I am awed at how much of a loving professional Greg is. dude doesn't miss a beat when confronted with mind blowing weirdness or hot alien babes making out. kind of makes me feel like some bad poo poo must have gone down to make him so wary about 'magic stuff' by the start of the series. other than losing Rose, I mean.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LostRook posted:

Would that mean Steven is Carl?
Greg is Carl

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WE ARE BOTH CARL.

thatsrightdaddyyoutellhimdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

watching 'we need to talk' again and I am awed at how much of a loving professional Greg is. dude doesn't miss a beat when confronted with mind blowing weirdness or hot alien babes making out. kind of makes me feel like some bad poo poo must have gone down to make him so wary about 'magic stuff' by the start of the series. other than losing Rose, I mean.

The way he tells it, he just stays away because of stern warnings from the gems, and certain things like shapeshifting just creep him out. Fusion is one thing he's familiar with and not really bothered by in the present day.

• Locked thread