Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

I think if you want IWND and Daemon you can just take the Paladin and the DKoN for 75pts less. The Battlecannon is heavy 2 and will likely hit more models in a shooting phase than the gatling cannon.

More FW shenanigans: the DKoT does not count as Daemon aligned with Tzeentch. :tutbutt:

You also get the Daemonforge, Rage, Fleet, and Crusader. I'm not saying the knight isn't better, but it's still p neat. Also the melee weapon on it is AP1 instead of AP2.

Also you get "Unstoppable Slaughter," whatever that is.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can charge other targets after shooting at something.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Huh, I thought Superheavies could already do that. Neat, I guess

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I think they can normally shoot at multiple things, but still have to charge at least one of the things they shot at. I don't know, the pile of special rules makes the Skullknight seem worth the extra points - it's gonna punch hard as poo poo, and I don't know what half of that Chaos bullshit is, but I'm assuming it makes the thing not die when you shoot at it.

BuffaloChicken posted:

I bought way too many model train trees for my jungle terrain, could definitely equip you with enough for a city park. Want 'em?

Oh my god, totes. I've got some, but they are bad, so having some good ones would go a long way.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

In this case though, only if it kills something. Superheavies can charge any unit they targeted with their shooting attack, and they can shoot multiple targets--one for each weapon.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Huh, I thought Superheavies could already do that. Neat, I guess

They do, which makes the rule pretty superfluous, but that's the sort of quality writing I expect from the FW team.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I lucked into a sudden abundance of free Blood Angels Terminators. Could I get some critique on the Blood Angels/Skitarii army list I intend to build around them?

quote:

Primary Detachment: Baal Strike Force

HQ: Captain Karlaen

Elites: 1) Terminator Squad, 5 models, 4 fists, one heavy flamer, sergeant with power sword and storm bolter. 2) Assault Terminator Squad, 5-7 models, company banner, half & half hammers/claws, sergeant with claws.

Troops: 1) Cassor the Damned (Furioso Dreadnaught). 2) Raphen's Death Company (5 jump pack Death Company marines)

The troops choices and the unique captain are all from the Shield of Baal: Deathstorm box. Their associated rules allow me to take the dread and Death Company on the list as Troops choices, but I don't get to alter their wargear or expand the death company squad in any way.

quote:

Second Detachment: Skitarii Maniple
Troops: 1) Vanguards, 10 models, 2 plasma calivers and one arc rifle. 2) Rangers, 10 models, 2 transuranic arquebii and one arc rifle.

I'd take the special weapons in threes in those squads but I only have two boxes worth of Skitarii bits to work with atm.

Total Cost: 1500, on the dot.

Karlaen gives the whole army the benefits of his special warlord trait, +1 to reserve rolls. The plan is to deploy only the dread and the Skitarii to start with. Both termie squads and the death company then deep strike in from Reserve as my rolls warrant, with the captain arriving among the shooty termies. If I were to expand the army I'd add a mechanized and kitted out Tactical Squad w/ Teleport Homer and a Terminator Librarian, then just add Terminators to push it all the way to 2000. Or possibly an Onager, those look rad.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

zeal posted:

So, I lucked into a sudden abundance of free Blood Angels Terminators. Could I get some critique on the Blood Angels/Skitarii army list I intend to build around them?

The troops choices and the unique captain are all from the Shield of Baal: Deathstorm box. Their associated rules allow me to take the dread and Death Company on the list as Troops choices, but I don't get to alter their wargear or expand the death company squad in any way.

I'd take the special weapons in threes in those squads but I only have two boxes worth of Skitarii bits to work with atm.

Total Cost: 1500, on the dot.

Karlaen gives the whole army the benefits of his special warlord trait, +1 to reserve rolls. The plan is to deploy only the dread and the Skitarii to start with. Both termie squads and the death company then deep strike in from Reserve as my rolls warrant, with the captain arriving among the shooty termies. If I were to expand the army I'd add a mechanized and kitted out Tactical Squad w/ Teleport Homer and a Terminator Librarian, then just add Terminators to push it all the way to 2000. Or possibly an Onager, those look rad.

Sounds like fun, but if you are going for competitive you would unfortunately be at about a 3 out of 10 with those Deathstorm models.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

ANAmal.net posted:

Oh my god, totes. I've got some, but they are bad, so having some good ones would go a long way.
You got it. I'll bring a bunch along with my ~*mYsTeRy FoE*~ army.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Okay, so I've ordered a baneblade. Do I, A: build it as a shadowsword and slap as many targetters on there as possible or B: Build it as a Baneblade with as many lascannons as humanly possible.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I posted a few days ago asking peoples thoughts on the Space Wolves codex and how it's held up, but I think it got lost in the Forge World stuff and AoS meltdown.

How has the codex held up after the release of other space marine books? I know there were a few supplements for it, so does it stand up on it's own or are those basically required? I already play Grey Knights and Imperial Guard. I have an inquisitor model and an assassin. Are they that different from Grey Knights? Would a small allied force be something to consider or would it be best avoided?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Teabag posted:

I posted a few days ago asking peoples thoughts on the Space Wolves codex and how it's held up, but I think it got lost in the Forge World stuff and AoS meltdown.

How has the codex held up after the release of other space marine books? I know there were a few supplements for it, so does it stand up on it's own or are those basically required? I already play Grey Knights and Imperial Guard. I have an inquisitor model and an assassin. Are they that different from Grey Knights? Would a small allied force be something to consider or would it be best avoided?

If you like the models sure why not. Or just get two boxes of devastators(or the space wolf versions) a few boxes of assault jump pack guys and two drop pods. This formation looks like it wrecks face. I'm going to be using it in a game next weekend myself.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Sir Teabag posted:

As a Space Wolf player I can say they are still very good even after the new Decurion style detachment craziness and newer Space Marine stuff was introduced. The codex stands quite good on its own and the supplement offers some cool ways to play but is in no way required to play. They definitely have their own unique and play differently to the other SM factions. I have not tried it myself but I've heard that SW make great allies. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

The Sisko posted:

As a Space Wolf player I can say they are still very good even after the new Decurion style detachment craziness and newer Space Marine stuff was introduced. The codex stands quite good on its own and the supplement offers some cool ways to play but is in no way required to play. They definitely have their own unique and play differently to the other SM factions. I have not tried it myself but I've heard that SW make great allies. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I'm seeing that Thunderwolves or Terminators mixed in with power armour seem to be the big selling points. I happen to love Terminators (I play Grey Knights so that's a given), and the models and fluff have their charm. Generally what sort of list would you bring to a smaller point game? I'm not sure if you play a regular SM force, but if you do would you mind highlighting some of the biggest differences? I would imagine that army wide counter-attack would be pretty handy for being a bit more defensive. Just sort of get into double-tap bolter range and let them come to you?

LingcodKilla posted:

If you like the models sure why not. Or just get two boxes of devastators(or the space wolf versions) a few boxes of assault jump pack guys and two drop pods. This formation looks like it wrecks face. I'm going to be using it in a game next weekend myself.

It's definitely something to consider since drop pods aren't something GK have access to anyway! Though after playing GK and AM for a while, semi-reliable deep strike is something that appeals to me, so I imagine that if I were to go with the space doggies I would get several drop pods anyway.

I'd also insist on listening to this song during all my turns.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VufilzHKTqk (Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Sir Teabag posted:

I'm seeing that Thunderwolves or Terminators mixed in with power armour seem to be the big selling points. I happen to love Terminators (I play Grey Knights so that's a given), and the models and fluff have their charm. Generally what sort of list would you bring to a smaller point game? I'm not sure if you play a regular SM force, but if you do would you mind highlighting some of the biggest differences? I would imagine that army wide counter-attack would be pretty handy for being a bit more defensive. Just sort of get into double-tap bolter range and let them come to you?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Space Wolves have the majority of their dakka of the vanilla marines but with their counter attack they can use assault as a bit of defensive tactic. They do however lack the ability to combat squad and thus don't have the raw objective grabbing power of their codex brethren and they lack some of the niftier stuff like grav weaponry ( though they do get helfrost which is alright ) . There is big emphasis on HQ's both standard and named and they usually can be tooled for whatever role you need and some them come with cool special rules. For example Wolf Priests are a combination Apothecary/Chaplain that give FNP 6+ and preferred enemy against a type of model. One cool thing is that you can usually upgrade the sergeant of any squad to be a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and they get access to quite alot of war gear so you can customize them for whatever CC needs you have. Drop Pods play pretty well into the Space Wolves strengths and I rarely ever don't put them into a list. Their flyer (Stormwolf) while being divisive with its looks is really good anti-flyer and if you have some troops sitting inside it can be really great at grabbing those last minute objectives. Thunderwolves and by extension anything that can take one as an upgrade make a great fast moving assault units that will tear through most things. Thier Devastaors have splitfire built in which is pretty cool,

TL;DR : Space Wolves are pretty flexible and comparable to Space Marines with a few differences hear and there to give them their own flavor.

My typical core list usually looks like this:

HQ:
Wolf Lord on thunderwolf

or

Rune Priest ( Librarian)

Troops:
3-4 Grey Hunter squads with various loadouts

Elites:
Termies
or
usually Iron Priests (tech marine) on a thunderwolves

Fast Attack:
1-2 units of Thunderwolves

Heavy Support:

1-2 units of Long Fangs (Devastators)

Hope this helps. Space Wolves where my first army and I have a big soft spot for them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

40k vets: how were the sculpts from the 3rd edition starter box set compared to the current stuff? I may have a chance to score one on the cheap.

Also my mind is boggled that GW would also include scenery in a starter box, but I guess the tradeoff is the small number of units you get. Either way if I can get it for cheap enough, at least it's some more vanilla marines to toss in with my DV Dark Angels, and maybe a head start on a small Dark Eldar army for the future.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Okay, so I've ordered a baneblade. Do I, A: build it as a shadowsword and slap as many targetters on there as possible or B: Build it as a Baneblade with as many lascannons as humanly possible.

You C: Magnetise it and have the ability to switch between all the variants.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Slimnoid posted:

They do, which makes the rule pretty superfluous, but that's the sort of quality writing I expect from the FW team.

Super-heavy's and GC's lost that ability in 7E. They're allowed to shoot multiple targets with multiple weapons then pick any of those to charge, but if you only have one weapon you're pretty much screwed.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Drone posted:

40k vets: how were the sculpts from the 3rd edition starter box set compared to the current stuff? I may have a chance to score one on the cheap.

Also my mind is boggled that GW would also include scenery in a starter box, but I guess the tradeoff is the small number of units you get. Either way if I can get it for cheap enough, at least it's some more vanilla marines to toss in with my DV Dark Angels, and maybe a head start on a small Dark Eldar army for the future.

The marines are fine and will fit in next to currently produced marines; those sculpts were only very recently replaced, and the new sculpts don't look out of place side-by-side with the old ones.

The old dark eldar, however, you will want to place directly into the trash (or on ebay)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

You C: Magnetise it and have the ability to switch between all the variants.

The only true solution.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The legs are up on FWs site. I want somebody to put them on a lancer and see how it looks.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, I'm gonna build a small group of Ultramarines, maybe like 10 models. Just wondering if anyone has the old Veteran squad, I'm looking for the body of the guy with dual lightning claws. Gonna make the Veteran Sergeant out of him.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I just cut one of the weapons off a painted model so I could equip a squad of Scourges with the weapon upgrades I wanted. GW really knows how to make it a chore to play this game.

serious gaylord posted:

Jesus gently caress the stench of some of the people there, I had to step away from the cabinets loads of times to get away from the stench of stale fat neckbeard.

Holy crap, that was at a convention center and the nerd musk was still palpable? I guess my Change.org petition to require building codes to state that nerd shops must have 15' ceilings is all for naught.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 6, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

I just cut one of the weapons off a painted model so I could equip a squad of Scourges with the weapon upgrades I wanted. GW really knows how to make it a chore to play this game.

Holy crap, that was at a convention center and the nerd musk was still palpable? I guess my Change.org petition to require building codes to state that nerd shops must have 15' ceilings is all for naught.

it might have been; Gaylord lives in the UK, as you'll recall. Change.org petitions have even less meaning over there.

BULBASAUR posted:

The legs are up on FWs site. I want somebody to put them on a lancer and see how it looks.

I'm going to go ahead and snag a set, since the skulldozer looks pretty stupid and the whole thing looks easy to magnetize.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's the full set, not just the legs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Post 9-11 User posted:

They had the AC on full blast and even then I kept getting slammed with that particular odour that permeates around very overweight people that haven't washed in awhile. I'm not even going to mention the amount of grease in hair either. You'd think people could have managed to have a shower before a big event like this but there you go.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

It's the full set, not just the legs.

Oh, that's... kind of lame I guess. I was hoping to be able to swap the torso onto the dozer bottom. Goddammit

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh, that's... kind of lame I guess. I was hoping to be able to swap the torso onto the dozer bottom. Goddammit

Buy the dozer version, put the two bodies waist to waist and the tracks on the legs.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm sorely tempted to do this with my DA. It says Devastators and Assault Marines, but not that they have to be from C:SM, so I'm just going to assume I can do this.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Definitely no khorne symbols on the khorne daemon engine legs, just like I noticed when they first appeared. Calling it now, forgeworld's going to produce torsos to make an equivalent for all 4 gods. One other possibility is GW prime will make skulldozer equivalents for other gods that just happen to fit on those legs, which I'm doubtful of.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hamshot posted:

Definitely no khorne symbols on the khorne daemon engine legs, just like I noticed when they first appeared. Calling it now, forgeworld's going to produce torsos to make an equivalent for all 4 gods. One other possibility is GW prime will make skulldozer equivalents for other gods that just happen to fit on those legs, which I'm doubtful of.

I told Alan and Simon at the WHW grand opening about my idea for a Nurgle Lord of Gore:

Never got around to making the model but maybe it's something that will happen. I was just going to use mine as a straight Lord of Skulls proxy and change the names of the weapons to bile-this and gore-that.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Bilegore-sword with built-in bile thrower and gore-spewer.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DJ Dizzy posted:

Bilegore-sword with built-in bile thrower and gore-spewer.

Those work! I have a WWE John Cena figure I got ages ago that will be the torso and head. I'll have to reposition the arms and add stuff to the rest of the figure of course to make it a Nurgley daemon, then figure out how to make the body (aluminum foil wrapped with layers of Super Sculpey). The hardest part will be figuring out the legs. I think loads of insect style legs would be pretty gnarly, but would have to cast loads of insectile legs, which will be a pain, so I'm trying to figure out what else it could be. Maybe a giant slug-like body? Slugs eat garbage and stuff...

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

They had the AC on full blast and even then I kept getting slammed with that particular odour that permeates around very overweight people that haven't washed in awhile. I'm not even going to mention the amount of grease in hair either. You'd think people could have managed to have a shower before a big event like this but there you go.

Should someone post the Grease Face mascot from the bad web comics thread or is that something to get probated for?

I like "nerd musk." It's not as disgusting as hot, rotting garbage but it hangs in the air and twitches the nostrils. Garbage is just garbage, blameless, when a living human being smells like that it's coupled with the dreadful realization that such a person exists.

Is that appeal rule still around where you can reduce someone's cover by 1 if you think it's not that good? If so, the next time I play a smelly ham I'll give him +1 or Stealth because of the stink lines.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Move over, Spare Marine, there's a new kid on the block at GW HQ.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Those work! I have a WWE John Cena figure I got ages ago that will be the torso and head. I'll have to reposition the arms and add stuff to the rest of the figure of course to make it a Nurgley daemon, then figure out how to make the body (aluminum foil wrapped with layers of Super Sculpey). The hardest part will be figuring out the legs. I think loads of insect style legs would be pretty gnarly, but would have to cast loads of insectile legs, which will be a pain, so I'm trying to figure out what else it could be. Maybe a giant slug-like body? Slugs eat garbage and stuff...

A slug body would be the easiest thing to make, so I'd probably go for that. Failing that, you could always track down one of the Orc & Goblin Arachnarock models--that's a giant-rear end spider that you could just bolt the torso on top of and it'd be about the right size.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

Buy the dozer version, put the two bodies waist to waist and the tracks on the legs.

well, it's like 300 points cheaper than killdozer and still gets the "blood for the blood god" rule in Khorne Daemonkin, so I guess I just wont' do the skulldozer. Probably still magnetize the midsection though. Otherwise transport would be a bitch.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

krushgroove posted:

Make its lower body sorts like a termite queen https://youtu.be/ta2rF6Syi0U

Make it be carried by a moving carpet of nurglings.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone posted:

Battle for Macragge had scenery

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slimnoid posted:

I'm sorely tempted to do this with my DA. It says Devastators and Assault Marines, but not that they have to be from C:SM, so I'm just going to assume I can do this.

The icon above Skyhammer Annihilation Force is the C:SM symbol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

The Sisko posted:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Space Wolves have the majority of their dakka of the vanilla marines but with their counter attack they can use assault as a bit of defensive tactic. They do however lack the ability to combat squad and thus don't have the raw objective grabbing power of their codex brethren and they lack some of the niftier stuff like grav weaponry ( though they do get helfrost which is alright ) . There is big emphasis on HQ's both standard and named and they usually can be tooled for whatever role you need and some them come with cool special rules. For example Wolf Priests are a combination Apothecary/Chaplain that give FNP 6+ and preferred enemy against a type of model. One cool thing is that you can usually upgrade the sergeant of any squad to be a Wolf Guard Battle Leader and they get access to quite alot of war gear so you can customize them for whatever CC needs you have. Drop Pods play pretty well into the Space Wolves strengths and I rarely ever don't put them into a list. Their flyer (Stormwolf) while being divisive with its looks is really good anti-flyer and if you have some troops sitting inside it can be really great at grabbing those last minute objectives. Thunderwolves and by extension anything that can take one as an upgrade make a great fast moving assault units that will tear through most things. Thier Devastaors have splitfire built in which is pretty cool,

TL;DR : Space Wolves are pretty flexible and comparable to Space Marines with a few differences hear and there to give them their own flavor.

My typical core list usually looks like this:

HQ:
Wolf Lord on thunderwolf

or

Rune Priest ( Librarian)

Troops:
3-4 Grey Hunter squads with various loadouts

Elites:
Termies
or
usually Iron Priests (tech marine) on a thunderwolves

Fast Attack:
1-2 units of Thunderwolves

Heavy Support:

1-2 units of Long Fangs (Devastators)

Hope this helps. Space Wolves where my first army and I have a big soft spot for them.

This is great stuff, thanks man! I had no idea that SW couldn't break into combat squads - interesting.

A few more questions - I remember in 5th edition (the last time I played against space wolves) they had just received some pretty beefy psychic abilities. When you're using your Rune Priest do you usually stick with the SW psychic powers or do you go more for the kind of standard divination? I imagine that prescience and perfect timing would work really well for a shooty wolf army.

Do you ever use the scouts? I know they are elites, but the bearded guys with sniper rifles and camo cloaks are calling to me.

Are blood claws or assault troops worth it - or would I be better off sticking with terminators and grey hunters?

• Locked thread