Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
In Japanese destroyers you do want to rush out of base, so you can dump your torpedoes on the enemy pubbies who rushed out of spawn. Don't rush cap points though, leave that for pubbies.

Islands won't become useless. High tier ships can shoot over intervening islands, but the trajectories are still pretty flat so you're relatively safe right behind an island. Nothing has a significantly higher trajectory than the Kuma at tier 4.

Pubbies in battleships will normally run from anything, even if they're limited to 20 knots and out of range. You can sometimes abuse this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erve
Oct 27, 2009
So, the Kuma is alright.

This wasn't a double. One of those magical games where everything goes right, finished the game by t-boning the Wyoming and going out in a blaze of glory.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jesus. Are XP/credit gains and costs inflated compared to Tanks or something? Because that's like four amazing games in a premium tank. No wonder they don't let you share silver between games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Sorry to Bob and Griz for summoning all that bad luck. Or maybe I suck.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
EU dudes: a bunch of us hang out in the "Goons" ingame channel and we use 2PAC TS (check PGS).

Also, on Fuso and range: check the hull upgrade. With pagoda it's the same as in CBT.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Playing the South Carolina and it is extremely tedious. Just want to hurry up and get the Wyoming or whatever and get that Langley so I can See Vee it up.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jesus. Are XP/credit gains and costs inflated compared to Tanks or something? Because that's like four amazing games in a premium tank. No wonder they don't let you share silver between games.

Yes they are. The tier X battleships cost 20m credits.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Kuma is really, really good. On paper it's undergunned but it fires incredibly quickly, it's speedy and small, and agile besides. I carried a ton of matches in mine, it's perfect.

Unfortunately the current game seems to favor smaller calibre guns and HE, so the Furutaka and Aoba suffer because they're low tier CAs, so they do poor dps, and aren't fast enough to influence round outcomes anyway.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Not fast enough? Dude, the Furutaka and Aoba are about the same speed as the Kuma. They're no quite as agile and larger, but they're by no means slow.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I've done this before to bait two ships into following me into a torpedo trap on my Tenryu. Can anyone do a runthrough of the US and Japan's strengths and weaknesses? I'm basically at the point where I'm deciding where to branch off for each nation.

Destroyers:
USN: Better guns on every tier, slightly tougher, more torp tubes for big alpha strikes in DD dogfights or when ambushing bigger ships at close range, only gets torps with a range higher than their own detection range at tier 8
IJN: Better concealment, torps that are always longer-ranged and often faster and/or more powerful than their same-tier USN counterparts (you can get higher torp range than detection range at every tier IIRC), only gets somewhat decent guns a ~tier 7

Cruisers:
USN: Tougher/smaller citadels and more AA, faster turrets, tripple-gun turrets that tend to lead to better turret layouts on some tiers
IJN: Torps, more guns/turrets(and hence redundancy) later on, earlier acess to 8-inch primaries, IIRC better concealment

Battleships:
USN: More guns, AA and armor, gets fast ships at tiers 8 and 9
IJN: Higher range, better secondaries, faster on all tiers below 8

Carriers:
USN: Better AA, larger squadrons, more fighter-centric loadouts
IJN: Better concealment, more squadrons, more strike-focused loadouts

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They are. Tier 10s are ~220-250k experience and 19-22 million credits.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay. The XP difference doesn't sound that huge (wasn't it 192k for an IS-7 from the IS-4?) but that's a lot of credits.

Can you get a lead indicator with guns as well as torpedoes, or do you just need to be checking your shot time with alt?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, okay. The XP difference doesn't sound that huge (wasn't it 192k for an IS-7 from the IS-4?) but that's a lot of credits.

Can you get a lead indicator with guns as well as torpedoes, or do you just need to be checking your shot time with alt?

There's no lead indicator. There was one before, which is what we are referring to when we say the "Eye of Sauron", otherwise known as the aim mod (or bot, as some pubbies cry). XP earned in a match usually hovers between 600-1500, unless you do exceptionally well. In most of my wins with 1 kill, I get 1k xp, losses are 600. This is with premium, however. You need an extraordinary match to break 3k, likely needing to kill 4+ people. If you kill half or more of the enemy team (and are doing most of the damage to get those kills), you'll get the insane numbers, like that 5k. Of course, premium is required for those hilarious numbers, and the xp boosting flags certainly help make some big numbers.

Getting a bunch of kills doesn't mean you get a lot of xp. Damage done usually gets you the xp, securing the kill on top of it seems to help, however. I had a 5 kill game where I only got 2.5k xp, because 3 of the kills were on really low targets I set on fire and burnt out. Then I get a 3.5k game with 4 kills, because 3 of the 4 were one-shots with torpedoes.
Also, killing planes gets you piddly xp, which should get changed. Right now its not very profitable to screen your CV and BB from enemy planes, or fly a fighter dedicated CV setup to secure air superiority. You get the xp from doing SICK DEEPS YO with undodgeable manual drops next to BBs.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

22 Eargesplitten posted:

a ship is like, a lot of tanks put together that float

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'm really glad that the only hard counter to carriers in low-tier games is someone willing to play a US carrier with a fighter loadout, even though such a ship will often end up in games with no carrier opposition where all they can do is "scout" for 0 xp. :thumbsup:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

El Disco posted:

I'm really glad that the only hard counter to carriers in low-tier games is someone willing to play a US carrier with a fighter loadout, even though such a ship will often end up in games with no carrier opposition where all they can do is "scout" for 0 xp. :thumbsup:
Uhh excuse me but you get a single DB squadron for sick triple-number damage!!!!!!!!

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Are carriers fun to play? I keep reading that the US carriers are awful and IJN is the way to go.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Insert name here posted:

Uhh excuse me but you get a single DB squadron for sick triple-number damage!!!!!!!!

It's basically an extra scout that can sometimes set a ship on fire.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
AHHHHHHHHHH! I was about to drop 4 more torps on the last enemy battleship when time expired.

Velius fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 6, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Are carriers fun to play? I keep reading that the US carriers are awful and IJN is the way to go.

That's basically how it is. If either dive bombers were useful or the fighter loadouts came with a torp bomber US carriers would be useful, but as it stands they're either inferior to jap carriers with their bomber loadout or totally useless agasint non-carriers with their fighter loadout.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

ranbo das posted:

That's basically how it is. If either dive bombers were useful or the fighter loadouts came with a torp bomber US carriers would be useful, but as it stands they're either inferior to jap carriers with their bomber loadout or totally useless agasint non-carriers with their fighter loadout.
They gave the Essex a good loadout again that's reminiscent of the old pre-IJN CV days (1/2/2 for fighter/TB/DB, old Essex was 2/2/1 for comparison), too bad you have to slog through tiers 4-8 to get there.

I find it funny they still haven't bothered adding AP bombs for DBs like they mentioned way back at the start of CBT. Not that I think AP bombs will fix anything about DBs being poo poo but damnit they mentioned it all that time ago and not a peep about it since.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
On stopping still, all stop is handy for hiding behind an island when you're about to die and need to wait the cooldown on your smoke/torps/repair/fires or what have you, and doubly so when someone else is shooting at the enemy who's hunting you.

Of course, the best way to stop suddenly is to beach yourself, not go to zero throttle.

The best advice I can give to someone who doesn't get moving all the time is instead of thinking of it as moving forward, think of it in terms of maneuvers. You reach X point, you conduct a maneuver to reposition your guns. This might involve pre-swinging your turrets around to the other side of your ship as you make a massive 180 degree turn, or it might involve going from pointing towards the enemy to close range to turning broadside to volley them, or it might involve turning away and "fleeing" at about a 30 degree angle so you can fire on them with all turrets while still preserving angled armor... the list goes on. You should always be thinking about what maneuver will be advantageous next, and about what stretch of water you're going to sail along for the next few minutes and what angles that will give you on what (also moving) enemies.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I can't believe this happened =(

I was set to get so much XP! High Caliber and Confederate, and this guy just one shots me.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I can't believe this happened =(

I was set to get so much XP! High Caliber and Confederate, and this guy just one shots me.

Citadels! St Lou were my favorite target when I played the South Carolina, actually. Big, dangerous, slow, and easy to remove from the field.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
T8+ American carriers poo poo all over Japanese ones.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
christ, the mutsuki's 6km torps are pretty bad. Its a good thing pubbies are dumb at T6 and boat around corners to eat torps still. The bump in speed is well worth the cost in reload time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Can you customize your loadouts with carriers, or are you restricted to a specific combination of fighters and bombers?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Accidentally unloaded a full volley of torpedos into the side of a teammate because I was zoomed all the way out. I'm so bad =(

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Panfilo posted:

Can you customize your loadouts with carriers, or are you restricted to a specific combination of fighters and bombers?

Restricted to either a fighter or strike loadout.
Higher tier carriers usually give you a single fighter squadron with the strike loadout though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ugh, the creep in survivability is getting hard to deal with. Before, two torps would make a Kuma sink, but its taking me more than 3 to kill a Cleveland at times. Don't go up the IJN DD tree, here lies madness.

It is really loving satisfying to watch an Atlanta that was spewing HE at you for 5 minutes finally eat your torps and rage in chat, though. Almost worth it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Accidentally unloaded a full volley of torpedos into the side of a teammate because I was zoomed all the way out. I'm so bad =(
Don't feel guilty. Torpedoing terrible teammates to blow up chat is like half the fun of the game.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I hadn't played in over a month or two.
I decide to come back and.. holy poo poo, its like wargamming hasn't learned a loving thing from any of their testing ot previous games.

I'm cruising along in my tier 1 destroyer, with 5 kills. Some guy on my team is just going around shooting torpedoes to our team. Not accidentally or anything. He'll literally trying to sink us. I get fed up once he managed to kill me and go to report him.

Not only can you not report a player from in game, but here are the options:

Bot
Plays poorly
Poor chat behaviour.

That is just loving stupid. Who loving cares if a player plays poorly! Add a loving team killing option.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Plus if they really wanted us to report everyone who plays poorly, we'd need a hell of a lot more than 3 reports per day :haw:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ohsosad posted:

T8+ American carriers poo poo all over Japanese ones.

American carriers poo poo all over Japanese carriers at every tier, you just don't get a lot of XP for shooting down 40 planes

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless carrier xp has changed since last I played, you get more xp for doing a single torp run than for shooting down all planes on the enemy carrier. It also helps your team far more since a carrier without torp bombers is as useful as a carrier without any planes at all at, you know, actually sinking enemy boats which is kinda important.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Speaking of T8+ American carriers, I got into a game in my Warspite that was me, 4 Sims and a Pensacola vs a division of Iowa, Midway, Des Moines. Midway somehow managed to miss with two planes when I was torped from one ship width away (I'm guessing just because there were so many planes and they were spread out, some simply dropped in front and behind), leaving me at sub-1k HP.

I think they need to increase drop distance.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If they'd ever loving fix CV matchmaking it might be more interesting, having equal numbers of equal tier CVs on each team would help a lot. Sorry for you if you're the only t8 CV playing but gently caress you, I don't want to play against you with my carrier less team in my Sims.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Poil posted:

Unless carrier xp has changed since last I played, you get more xp for doing a single torp run than for shooting down all planes on the enemy carrier. It also helps your team far more since a carrier without torp bombers is as useful as a carrier without any planes at all at, you know, actually sinking enemy boats which is kinda important.
At this point I'm pretty much just hoping they make shooting down planes worth something XP wise. It wouldn't actually fix the problem with US CVs but at least it means being able to grind out the XP needed without having to take the "like an IJN CV but worse" loadout. Hoping Wargaming either gives better planes loadouts or makes DBs worth using is probably too much to hope for at this point.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah the matchmaker should enforce parity. Who cares if carriers have to wait longer for matches? It will result in better games for everyone. 2v1s blow. Facing a tier higher blows. Being the only carrier in the match but fighter fit blows.

In short, carriers blow. The gameplay is uninteresting when it isn't minutes of boredom waiting for planes to fly back and forth. The game would be better off without them, except they are such an iconic part of WWII.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Which of the starter botes is best at seal clubbing?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

American carriers poo poo all over Japanese carriers at every tier, you just don't get a lot of XP for shooting down 40 planes

Fairly sure what he's referring to is the fact that Essex and Midway have access to 1/2/2 loadouts, compared to Taiho and Hakuryu carrying, respectively, 1/3/3 and 1/3/4 ones. Which sounds good until you remember that US squadrons are 6 planes compared to 4, so they're putting just as many torpedo bombers in the air while still having a larger fighter squadron. They don't have particularly less dive bombers either, if that's somehow influencing your decision. Oh, and US torpedo bombers do over 1000 more damage per torpedo too, while their dive bombers do over 3000 more per bomb.

So in summary, at the highest tiers US carriers are launching just as many torpedo bombers, which deal more damage and, due to 6 plane squadrons, have a much better spread, still have the advantage in fighters, and their dive bombers, while slightly fewer in number, deal more damage as well.

From what I recall Hakuryu was carrying a 1/4/4 spread pre-0.4, which apparently got chopped down to to complaints. So now if you're going up the IJN tree due to them being the "Strike-focused" carriers, you're completely out of luck at the end of the tree because Wargaming can't balance for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Work your way to the St. Louis then fully upgrade and never sell it. Skill the commander once you get one until he has his PhD in something something and enjoy raining hell on people. You only need to worry about higher tier BB's that can range you but if you just float around looking for more edible targets you can kill it is very satisfying.