Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fanzay posted:

Shine on, you crazy sperglord diamond.

Also lol, you're wrong. Team Rock had a 6% difference in their favour, not team pop.

Actually, I like how you just copy pasted the stats from the Japanese splatfest on the EU one rather than looking up the actual stats. I don't care loll

hes talking about Team Cat losing to Team Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Fanzay posted:

This game is really good

uh, that's a pretty hosed up thing to say

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Level Slide posted:

There was this one tower control match where all four opposing squids gathered on the tower and bubble shielded for the last stretch. I couldn't get mad at that, even though it was a goddamn steamroll.

If there ever was a good time to throw a grenade there, this would be it. Bonus points for bouncing them out of the map.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Poultron posted:

uh, that's a pretty hosed up thing to say

Its tru, actauly

Bread Set Jettison posted:

hes talking about Team Cat losing to Team Dog

he's pulling numbers out of his rear end and is dumb, yes. But he was actually posting that in the EU one, the losers, team pop, had a 6% better win rate than the winners when it was the other way around. Team Rock won in every possible way. *FAAAAART

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Fanzay posted:

Its tru, actauly

you're right actually. I just played some of this game and it's drat fun and great.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Poultron posted:

you're right actually. I just played some of this game and it's drat fun and great.

Mooooods?!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When can we get roller skates and a spray can as a weapon

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Level Slide posted:

There was this one tower control match where all four opposing squids gathered on the tower and bubble shielded for the last stretch. I couldn't get mad at that, even though it was a goddamn steamroll.

This may or may not have been me because I did this last night.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It was at the mall and I think the match lasted less than a minute.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tower Control is the only time I have enjoyed playing on Arowana Mall. It's a total bloodbath gauntlet and it's great. In any other mode it's hell, though.

Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Splatfest, despite my team not winning. Don't lump all of us Team Cat-ers with those salty losers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
it's cool that they had to count in popularity as a way to win instead of just flat out wins. I'm a salty seadogcat

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Oh yeah, there was this other tower control match where everyone on my team, me included, kept getting blown up by opposing ink mines on the tower.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I like those upper platforms in the middle of the Skatepark that are only reachable from the tower. Now that's planning ahead.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Level Slide posted:

It was at the mall and I think the match lasted less than a minute.

gently caress this might have been me.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Excellent technique if it was.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

13/f/cali posted:

With the number of players playing it's not like individual skill matters much for a splatfest anyway. I won about 80% of my matches and spent a lot of time on it but Team Cat only had a 1% or less difference. If the losing team got no reward at all I'd probably feel a little disappointed but regardless of reward I had a fun time playing splatfest with friends in the room and handing off the gamepad and that was worth more than any silly video game seashells.

do you think splatoon is some kind of game???? MEANT FOR FUN?????

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
If there isn't a mine or a suction bomb attached to the tower at all times you're doing it wrong

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I guess bomb sniffer shoes really come to the fore in tower control.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in Splatfest voting.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lurkcopter posted:

Does anyone here have the occasional trouble with shooting down from ledges? It feels that unless you are right on the edge, your shots more often than not will get caught on the edge. It's really annoying and got me killed a few times.

thank gently caress it's not just me

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Takoluka posted:

you gotta be squidding

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Google made this for me this morning. Thanks :google:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When can we get roller skates and a spray can as a weapon

Inkbrush

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

zolthorg posted:

Can't believe people are still defending votefest and the design of it and using my being mad at video games as an excuse for apathy or dignation

Here are the results of the 3 splatfests that went on since the matchmaking bugfix:
J2 - 67 Popularity beats 33, 6% win difference in the losing team's favor
NA1 - 62 Popularity beats 38, 2% win difference in the losing team's favor
EU1 - 67 Popularity beats 33, 6% win difference in the losing team's favor

if your win percentage difference was multiplied by 5 all three of the losing teams would still have lost
67 > 63, 62 > 48, 67 > 63

I'm talking about just giving two of those teams 30 points from win percentages, pretending they have a 15% differential by the current algorithm, which is a 42.5 to 57.5 winrate split. And they would STILL lose because the algorithm ridiculously heavily favors votes.

Splatfest should immediately move to a system that rewards you 3 separate bonuses: One for team rank, one for team winrate, and one for team popularity, otherwise if you have the audacity to pick a team before the end of the 2-3 day preamble and pick the losing team, you have a low incentive to play.

If cats are better than dogs, then why did dogs win?

The numbers add up perfectly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I wasn't home all weekend due to the holiday, but did anyone during all this arguing realize the losing team by votes having a winning edge on the matches might have something to do with the match making? I mean a third to a half of the winning team wouldn't be able to be matched up if everyone was playing at the same time, but the losing teams would always have opponents. Or was this not an issue somehow?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Splatoon Devs say: "Why are people level 20 already? Don't they have lives?"

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Brightman posted:

I wasn't home all weekend due to the holiday, but did anyone during all this arguing realize the losing team by votes having a winning edge on the matches might have something to do with the match making? I mean a third to a half of the winning team wouldn't be able to be matched up if everyone was playing at the same time, but the losing teams would always have opponents. Or was this not an issue somehow?

i dunno why that would be an issue. team cat just won 51% of dog vs cat matches.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
they lost the whole thing though. sorry cats duke I'm not sorry at all. i told y'all dogs were the best and would win and look at us. LOOK AT US

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm not arguing that, i'm just saying that the numbers on each side don't really contribute to the win percentages unless you're getting incomplete teams.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I was Team Rock but at least we actually won more games than Team Dog. :smug:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It's a funny joke but really it doesn't take very long at all. According to my console I've only played the game for about 43 hours and I only got level 20 in the Splatfest. Some of that is single player, call it a few hours, some of that is Amiibo poo poo, call it another few hours, a lot of it is loving around with lobby stuff, call that another few hours. Plus I never used an Aerospray for points. I'd say if you were playing solely to level up you could easily reach level 20 in about 25 hours played, which is not even an hour a day since the game released.

In other news, I shouldn't have played so much of this child's game, probably

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There were people at level 20 like the day after the game came out

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Well yeah, I know that. My point was at this point it's really not even close to absurd to see this many people at level 20, so a dev saying that now is pretty silly, even if you ignore all the no lifers who ground out level 20 immediately.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nogami posted:

If we suddenly had variation like three hairstyles with braid or bun, people wouldn’t consider them as the same thing [character]. Therefore we limited the customization to the minimum with skin and eye color.

Multiple Hairstyles Prove Too Confusing for Players to Understand, Says Japanese Developer

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Brightman posted:

Um there is not really that much arguing going on here lol

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Yeah. Granted I had off work and popsocked hard, but I was level 14 by the end of release day with about 10 hours played and hit 20 after another 10 (that's including single player stuff). 20 hours in a month is nothing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Poultron posted:

It's a funny joke but really it doesn't take very long at all. According to my console I've only played the game for about 43 hours

:ironicat:

That's actually a lot of gaming dude.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Next Splatfest: Tower Control v Splat Zones, but playing turfwars of course, and instead of a T-shirt, one team gets a limited edition rapid blaster and the other team gets an e-litre

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I played a few matches a day since launch and only got to max rank in the days before the Splatfest. That feels about right to me, given there are weapons gated behind each level all the way to the end.

Unless there's more content to tie to the leveling system, why increase the cap? To artificially lengthen the time it takes to unlock everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:ironicat:

That's actually a lot of gaming dude.

Considering the kind of gaming I do normally it really isn't.

And don't tell me it isn't low for this thread.

• Locked thread