Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I always count new arrivals as having entered the map at a full run.

A to hit is a 12 then. 4 base + 4 range + 1 player walked + 1 darkness penalty + 2 enemy moved 6 hexes. But you have 14 turns of ammo to expend, and most battles are done in 10 or less.

Basically are you going to gamble? He will hit you on 10s thanks to his superior gunmanship, of course the insult to his pride if you hit him will be huge.

Also viva if you walk to 0817 the lightray ace will at least have to MOVE if he wants to shoot you in the rear end... it is a small favor at least? ((I forget due to rust but no skidding on walk movement which that should be right?))

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AtomikKrab posted:

Basically are you going to gamble? He will hit you on 10s thanks to his superior gunmanship, of course the insult to his pride if you hit him will be huge.

dude's a Capellan. He doesn't have pride, he has fear of getting murdered by his superiors.

Plus I don't intend to gamble that much on PTN's dice, thankyouverymuch.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

dude's a Capellan. He doesn't have pride, he has fear of getting murdered by his superiors.

Plus I don't intend to gamble that much on PTN's dice, thankyouverymuch.

the gamble is 0-15? damage to you and 0-30 damage to him. (ams is going to shred that lrm if he fires it.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
More importantly your damage is in the form of potential headcaps, his isn't.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
If you guys can prove the Bloodhound killed that car could Comstar start attacking them?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Good things something something Vengeance Counter.

Also, it should be very obvious which car Carlos is in

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, it should be very obvious which car Carlos is in

The black one in 1029 is parked by the HPG station; all the others are running away.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I hope we see more of that Sha Yu pilot, his mental state is mostly calm throughout (and suspicious).

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good things something something Vengeance Counter.

Perhaps if the Veng counter gets high enough the Caps will do something stupid. How can we piss them off?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Put yourself between Capellans and Comstar assets and watch the fireworks.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kial posted:

Perhaps if the Veng counter gets high enough the Caps will do something stupid. How can we piss them off?

So far the counter has gone up A) when the Flea got headcapped, and B) when the Bloodhound dropped.

...it's not a counter for how badly we want Vengeance, it's a counter for how badly the Capellans do. I suspect that the more Cappies we hurt and/or freak out, the more the others will be tempted to do Something Dumb (tm) in anger.

Also:

berryjon posted:

The black one in 1029 is parked by the HPG station; all the others are running away.

That was my thought as well, but I sort of hope that isn't the case since that's the car directly in front of the Sha Yu, and that guy isn't so panicked that he doesn't stand the chance to say 'hmm, something is up here' and shoot said car.

....maybe someone should shoot the Sha Yu and give him something else to think about.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kial posted:

If you guys can prove the Bloodhound killed that car could Comstar start attacking them?

I doubt it, if they cast enough doubt that'd just mean Comstar would want to conduct an investigation once the immediate battle is over, and the Capellans can probably pin it on the pilot acting on his own like an idiot (which he probably was).

I doubt local Comstar forces would want to come in on the side of the guerillas hiding in the woods unless they really had to, like the Capellans launching a sustained attack against them. A few accidental misses gouging their facility will get an angry letter sent to their commander and some chilly reception the next time they want to use the space phone, but those couple of Comstar mechs probably aren't enough to take on the entire Capellan occupation army if they go starting an actual fight.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Cappellans will do something stupid like turn buildings to dust and generally make a mess. Maybe even using the comstar building as cover will piss them off.

Also if they find out that Carlos is sending a message then they might actually engage the complex. Then we get the comstar mechs on our side.

So maybe keep far enough away to not brawl with their heavies but close enough to be able to support comstar if that eventually happens?

Were two mechs found in buildings?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's the little Dart we were ostensibly here to salvage, then there's the Grand Titan belonging to :???: in the covered garage.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Is the grand Titan a capcon or comstar design. If it's comstar leave it alone if it's capcon blow it up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
From what lore I can find about it, it's actually a FWL design :v:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Open up that building. Let's get Carlos Marik a ride home.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

It's not the most clear where that Lightray is going, but moving away from the precentor's family's dome and never shooting that direction is probably a good idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

From what lore I can find about it, it's actually a FWL design :v:

The Grand Titan is a revamp of an old SLDF machine. In the canon timeline the FWL had access to the design through... wait for it... Word of Blake! That thing's gotta be ComStar.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Three of the four new arrivals have jump jets. Watch out, they're more maneuverable than they might appear.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'd guess the Precentor has a ride. Steer well clear.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

I'd guess the Precentor has a ride. Steer well clear.

This was my fault, and remember that higher ranking people generally do kick a good amount of rear end in battletech, so he is quite possibly a 2/2 pilot... in a sldf assault mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

Three of the four new arrivals have jump jets. Watch out, they're more maneuverable than they might appear.

Most of them are also 5/8, so they're pretty maneuverable to begin with.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Not really relevant to Battletech, but there's gonna be an IRL giant robot fight sometime in the next year, although the details of where and when haven't been worked out yet.

American company MegaBots Inc challenged Japanese company Suidobashi Heavy Industries to a giant robot fight via YouTube video a week ago, and Sudobashi just accepted yesterday. I can't wait for more info.

I saw the Megabots robot in person last year at New York Comic Con, but it wasn't in action, just standing around for people to gawk at, since you can't really have a demo of it in the middle of the Javits Center with all those people around. Can't wait to see it in actual action!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 6, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Robot-fighting as spectator sport sounds pretty exciting because it gets around a lot of the "giant robots wouldn't actually be very useful in war" problems by going straight for being cool and fun. Still, I suspect if these two actually square off they'll either prove embarrassingly incapable of actually fighting or else one of them will have a technical glitch or immediately flounder on impact and end the "fight" in ten seconds.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
One will push the other over / both will fall down and not be able to get back up again.

Which is kind of the same as Battletech sometimes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's absolutely battletech.

Which is why the quad's manufacturers challenged the biped robot to a shove fight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait no I'm thinking of something else, Megabot has treads doesn't it.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I love Capy heavies.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait no I'm thinking of something else, Megabot has treads doesn't it.

Yeah, it does.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now I'm disappointed it's not a Guntank.

Or that Battletech has rules for dopey tankbots that aren't also quads.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Now I'm disappointed it's not a Guntank.

Or that Battletech has rules for dopey tankbots that aren't also quads.

Guntank requires a competent pilot or else it's a total piece of garbage though. Are we sure we can rely on a robot pilot to match that level of skill?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sair posted:

I love Capy heavies.

No lie, I adore the Jinggau. Of all the `Mechs from its particular era, it's my favorite.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's a gimmick fight, and i would be shocked if it wasn't choreographed. Wake me up when we get autonomous robots fighting.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Defiance Industries posted:

The Grand Titan is a revamp of an old SLDF machine. In the canon timeline the FWL had access to the design through... wait for it... Word of Blake! That thing's gotta be ComStar.

Also, in the canon timeline, the Wyvern-9N is a Comstar refit done specially for the battle of Tukayyid. Either that means something here, or it simply has a different provenance in the PTN-verse... :iiam:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So, options for my turn: The bloodhound is knocked out for good(?) I can either guaranteed leg it this turn, or run up behind the Wyvern and unload in to it's back/give a kick to help the War Dog make sure it can't rejoin it's fellows. I'm not confident that the War Dog alone can guarantee it goes down (Although a single gauss hit to CTR or the LL would do it).

The Sha Yu is 100% out of the picture for us, no one can get to it and it's untouched anyhow.

I figure we get one turn of faffing about down here to clean up what we can before booking to back north to stay ahead and out of LoS of the reinforcement lance.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

So, options for my turn: The bloodhound is knocked out for good(?) I can either guaranteed leg it this turn, or run up behind the Wyvern and unload in to it's back/give a kick to help the War Dog make sure it can't rejoin it's fellows. I'm not confident that the War Dog alone can guarantee it goes down (Although a single gauss hit to CTR or the LL would do it).

The Sha Yu is 100% out of the picture for us, no one can get to it and it's untouched anyhow.

I figure we get one turn of faffing about down here to clean up what we can before booking to back north to stay ahead and out of LoS of the reinforcement lance.

He has two pilot hits and will wake up on a 5 or better, right now helpless, FINISH HIM

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Only reason I have him as a ??? is the vengeance counter went up and I didn't see a consciousness check roll at the start of the next turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
He's crippled enough that I called him out. Only an idiot would stand back up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, nice. Definitely going to help knock down the Wyvern then. I can easily do that and then get out of LoS from any of the reinforcements the following turn.

• Locked thread