Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tarranon posted:

oh what's that, it's just people tackling the most current content in the game with nothing more than respect for each other, dedication, and a shared, genuine desire to git gud

Cid's Angels, the catch up linkshell, has surpassed some genuine statics in tackling progression content. And while there's no way for this to not come off as self aggrandizing, the fact of the matter is that the membership of this silly linkshell is stellar, and continues to amaze and surpass expectations every day, thanks to both the experienced players helping the scrubs out, and the scrubs being so curious and ready to learn.

And with Alexander raiding making it ever kinder to swap people in and out of progression groups without hurting loot drops and etc, I expect us to get better and better.

The gist is that high end raiding in this game is freaking fun as heck, and the more people we get doing it, the more fun and success is shared by all, regardless of whether they can fit into a static's schedule or not.

Cid's Angels is great. They helped me get through Leviathan Ex last night despite my valiant efforts to not fall off the boat (and failing :( sorry about that guys!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gammatron 64 posted:

I checked what Mercy Stroke does and it sounds pretty good. I just need to get MRD up to 26.

The thing is though, when it comes to tank jobs, I'd much rather play PLD and I think that's going to be my next job. Always wanted to play Pally in XI, but when people told me I shouldn't bother without an Aegis or ochan I was like "gently caress that noise." However tanking looks like it's pretty difficult in this game so I dunno. In XI you would use provoke and flash a lot on a single mob and you'd be smooth sailing.
""

If you just spam flash you're doing better than a lot of tanks. It's an AOE now so you basically just pop it every couple GCDs to maintain threat from the healer and stubborn dps that refuse to hit the right mob.

Tanking is really pretty easy especially as a paladin.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

You'll still run into threat issues at low level with impulse-drive spamming Dragoons who dont have their full combo yet and bards who like to go apeshit with cooldowns. The buffs to Flash help but if you over-rely on it you tend to go MP dry pretty fast. All three tank classes have potent AOE threat abilities but you do actually have to strike a balance between being aggressive and proactive with them and not spending the rest of the dungeon running on TP/MP fumes.

Endgame dungeon problems tend to arise from White Mage and Black Mage. If you have a solid opener, most DPS classes cant catch up to you if you're running a strength accessory or two. The Mage classes and sometimes Ninja have enough spikes in their threat output that if you're not switching targets or throwing out the odd OP/Flash/Unleash you might lose a mob in the pack

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 6, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Opposing Farce posted:

Between all four controller hotbars (8 per bar, 32 slots total) you should have exactly enough space for all of your combat skills once you hit 60, minus maybe one or two of the less useful cross-class skills depending on your class. The big downside is you're probably going to need to set up a second bar you can switch to for stuff you want relatively easy access to but don't necessarily need in the heat of combat; before Heavensward I managed to fit Spint, Teleport, Return, Limit Break, and Mount Roulette onto each of my class bars, but since I those five spaces are exactly what I needed for Heavensward skills I've had to shove all of them off to another bar.

I really wish you could have regular hotbars in addition to the cross hotbar on the PS3 like you can on PC. That way I could see the cooldowns for all my abilities and maybe take my hand off the pad for a sec and use a keyboard shortcut \ mouse click to activate things like LB. My lizard decided to take a giant nasty rear end poo poo all over my old keyboard, so now I have a decent wireless mouse \ keyboard combo plugged into my PS3.

Also I wish other PCs and NPCs on PS3 moved at more than like, 5 FPS because it looks super bad. Especially when your character is moving at 30-60 fps.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've votekicked dead weight and/or rear end in a top hat players in dozens of dungeons and trials. It wasn't usually DPS related, just the player being an utter rear end in a top hat or doing things like being completely unable to dodge the most basic AOE and making us wipe for 30 minutes on the first boss in great library.

Only time I've been votekicked is tanking bone dragon in the center when I'd run CT solo. Usually people in the raid would intentionally wipe us too instead of doing the fight because there are lots of manbabies playing this game and people on our data center are utter insane about bone dragon being tanked to the north.

Holy poo poo, and you think I'm the rear end in a top hat?

Also if you wiped for 30 minutes on the first boss in library the problem isn't one person. I've done it with 2 people, it's the least bossy boss fight ever.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Halatali NM, me levelling my BLM for The Professional title. SCH healer put themselves on follow on me, and told me to keep up behind the tank, so they could AFK. Because they were doing us all a favor by being there.

/angrynerdmode on

Cue me doing my level best to DPS at the very limits of my range, using the leash distance of SCH and SCH's fairy to leave fairy just outside of range for healing. And to lock fairy and SCH outside of the first boss's door. Got kicked, sent a report.

So what you're saying is the SCH was actually doing less to sabotage the group than you were? A SCH on follow is better than most healers you'll get at that level who probably aren't going to dps anyway.

I tend to just pull the dungeon while SCH though. Moves things along faster.

nuru fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 6, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

You'll still run into threat issues at low level with impulse-drive spamming Dragoons who dont have their full combo yet and bards who like to go apeshit with cooldowns. The buffs to Flash help but if you over-rely on it you tend to go MP dry pretty fast. All three tank classes have potent AOE threat abilities but you do actually have to strike a balance between being aggressive and proactive with them and not spending the rest of the dungeon running on TP/MP fumes.

Endgame dungeon problems tend to arise from White Mage and Black Mage. If you have a solid opener, most DPS classes cant catch up to you if you're running a strength accessory or two. The Mage classes and sometimes Ninja have enough spikes in their threat output that if you're not switching targets or throwing out the odd OP/Flash/Unleash you might lose a mob in the pack

I think there tanking could potentially get tough is that I'm going to have to periodically switch targets. I kinda have poor situational awareness in general and can sometimes not notice something literally staring me in the face (why I can't play competitive FPS games) so I would worry about some mob I'm not even looking at running off to go eat a white mage all while I am completely oblivious to the whole thing.

FF14 has a tendency to get extremely chaotic to almost Marvel vs. Capcom levels and I could be standing in a deadly circle of doom and have no idea. There's also a bunch that are different colors, so I don't know if this blue circle I'm standing in is someone's ability that's giving me a buff or if I'm standing in impending doom.

Now I do know that my buffs \ debuffs do show up next to my name, but I'm not super familiar with all the icons and most status effects don't last very long. And I'm busy trying to not stand in big glowy orange death zones, do dps and read what my party is saying in chat. Maybe FFXIV isn't the best game for someone with Adult ADD.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Outside of rare situations you're rarely fighting more than three things at once and fighting larger packs, most jobs cant dish out AOE damage high enough that generates threat surpassing flash/overpower/unleash spam outside of flare or holy spam

Order of Operations for trash fights is typically Ranged Pull (Shield Lob/Tomahawk/Unmend) AOE Threat (Flash/Overpower/Unleash) Combo On Primary Target (Rage of Halone/Butchers Block/Power Slash) AOE Threat, and then at that point you're just focused on doing damage while occasionally checking threat tables and throwing your AOE threat back up. Defensive and offensive cooldowns are interwoven througout this but you generally don't want to start a fight without some kind of defense, be generous to your healers, people

Single pulls, like boss fights are a bit more involved but for me (WAR) it tends to look like Infuriate > Unleashed > Tomahawk > Heavy Swing > Maim (+Berserk and Inner Release as this GCD is happening) > Storms Eye > Butchers Block Combo > Deliverance > Fracture > Fell Cleave > Pacified

Rotate Storms Eye and Butchers Block, cycle defensive cooldowns, use offensive cooldowns as they come off of CD

Offtank damage opener is Deliverance > Heavy Swing > Maim (+Berserk and Inner Release as this GCD is happening) > Storms Eye > Butchers Block Combo > Fracture > Fell Cleave > Infuriate > Fell Cleave > Pacified

Rotate Storms Eye and Storms Path, use offensive cooldowns as they come off of CD or sit on them for important poo poo (Bismarck, Ravana's Warlord Shell/Liberation downtime, etc)

Berserk and IR are always timed with Maim so that the timing on Berserk lets me finish my combos and get fracture up before Pacify hits

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 6, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think there tanking could potentially get tough is that I'm going to have to periodically switch targets. I kinda have poor situational awareness in general and can sometimes not notice something literally staring me in the face (why I can't play competitive FPS games) so I would worry about some mob I'm not even looking at running off to go eat a white mage all while I am completely oblivious to the whole thing.

FF14 has a tendency to get extremely chaotic to almost Marvel vs. Capcom levels and I could be standing in a deadly circle of doom and have no idea. There's also a bunch that are different colors, so I don't know if this blue circle I'm standing in is someone's ability that's giving me a buff or if I'm standing in impending doom.

Now I do know that my buffs \ debuffs do show up next to my name, but I'm not super familiar with all the icons and most status effects don't last very long. And I'm busy trying to not stand in big glowy orange death zones, do dps and read what my party is saying in chat. Maybe FFXIV isn't the best game for someone with Adult ADD.

Under character settings you can turn off party effects, or set them to limited so you only see important things like Sacred Soil. You should do this.

But in general, if you see a pulsing orange AOE it's never good to stand in it. Keeper of the Lake's bosses have a lot of aoe markers, but none of them are ok to stand in. As long as you make sure your feet are clear you're golden. As for tanking, the enemy list will always let you know threat. Red = You're holding it. Yellow = You're losing it / Don't have it yet. Green = The mob gives no shits about you and might be gnawing on someone else. On top of that, the bars and numbers on the party list will tell you threat for your current target.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Outside of rare situations you're rarely fighting more than three things at once and fighting larger packs, most jobs cant dish out AOE damage high enough that generates threat surpassing flash/overpower/unleash spam outside of flare or holy spam

Ok, that's good to know.

nuru posted:

Under character settings you can turn off party effects, or set them to limited so you only see important things like Sacred Soil. You should do this.

But in general, if you see a pulsing orange AOE it's never good to stand in it. Keeper of the Lake's bosses have a lot of aoe markers, but none of them are ok to stand in. As long as you make sure your feet are clear you're golden. As for tanking, the enemy list will always let you know threat. Red = You're holding it. Yellow = You're losing it / Don't have it yet. Green = The mob gives no shits about you and might be gnawing on someone else. On top of that, the bars and numbers on the party list will tell you threat for your current target.

This is also really good to know. I didn't know what those red\green dots meant on the enemy list. I should also adjust my targeting settings so I can target baddies easier.

Also Midgardsomr seems to have way more AOEs than most bosses and he almost totally fills the entire room up with glowy orange areas of doom so maybe he's just a dick boss.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Not to mention the target list is fantastic for picking out a specific mob. People make it all the way to Ravana Extreme without really knowing how to use it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

nuru posted:

Not to mention the target list is fantastic for picking out a specific mob. People make it all the way to Ravana Extreme without really knowing how to use it.

Once I get back, I'm going to try and figure out how to adjust my target settings so I can scroll through it by using up\down on my dpad. The only reliable way I've figured out how to use it is with my mouse, and that's no good. I think be default, up/down is your party, and left\right is everything else, right?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Something must just be wrong with me because not only do I enjoy MCH at 60, I like how gauss barrel feels.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Once I get back, I'm going to try and figure out how to adjust my target settings so I can scroll through it by using up\down on my dpad. The only reliable way I've figured out how to use it is with my mouse, and that's no good. I think be default, up/down is your party, and left\right is everything else, right?

What you want to look into are targeting filters. On a controller I believe there's a way to toggle what type of targets you want to cycle through with the dpad.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Cleared Ravana EX last night, what a fun fight! Much more enjoyable than Bismarck EX

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Rei_ posted:

Cleared Ravana EX last night, what a fun fight! Much more enjoyable than Bismarck EX

:agreed:

And clearing it 9 more times in a row isn't really that painful, either, which is nice.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I ran through Fractal Continuum a bunch with friends to get gear/lawstones, and that duty feels like something straight out of a Tri-ace game. I heard Motoi Sakuraba composed the track for it, is that true? Would make a lot of sense if that's the case.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fractal Continuum is rad as hell and it makes me sad whenever I roulette to neverreap.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Damnit I need to concentrate and finish the MSQ but I got a wild hair to level monk and oh man two greased lightnings feel great I want to know how fast 3 is

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pksage posted:

And clearing it 9 more times in a row isn't really that painful, either, which is nice.

As long as you've got a competent group, yeah. I spent about an hour and a half wiping last night with a "clear party" that had an incredible amount of trouble with running to the right quadrants and not overlapping Lib circles. It really gets my gills because it's such a drat easy mechanic, but we'd regularly get 2+ deaths per Swift Liberation, and the DPS check is pretty drat tight for the amount of DPS most pub groups are pumping out.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 6, 2015

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pksage posted:

I'm still working on clear one via party finder. I gotta harass someone for a Cid's Angels pearl at some point.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Fractal Continuum is rad as hell and it makes me sad whenever I roulette to neverreap.

Does anybody like neverreap more than FC?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rei_ posted:

warrior stuff

Thanks for this! I just went through haukke manor on my marauder the other day and got brayflox unlocked but haven't done it yet. At what point should I stop levelling my marauder and get gladiator levelled up for the cross abilities?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vOv posted:

An outside area where you run around and do exercise, or a loving nerdass museum?

Of loving course nobody likes neverreap :v:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

J posted:

Thanks for this! I just went through haukke manor on my marauder the other day and got brayflox unlocked but haven't done it yet. At what point should I stop levelling my marauder and get gladiator levelled up for the cross abilities?

Get it to 15 asap to unlock Warrior, get it to 22 once you get War to 50 for Provoke.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

vOv posted:

I've gotten Fractal Continuum six times in a row from Expert roulette and sometimes you need a change of pace.

bonewitch posted:

Get it to 15 asap to unlock Warrior, get it to 22 once you get War to 50 for Provoke.

You might as well get Provoke while you're getting lvl 15 assuming you're above 22 with your Marauder. Seven levels take no time at all as a tank with +100% exp and it's good ability to have while leveling and practicing tanking.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 6, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
edit: nevermind, cleared by friendly goons.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 6, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

vOv posted:

It's me. Waukkeon is fun as hell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

An outside area where you run around and do exercise, or a loving nerdass museum?

Of loving course nobody likes neverreap :v:

I think I'd like neverreap a lot more if my only 60 right now wasn't a BLM.

As it is now, though, gently caress neverreap forever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think GLA makes it easier to learn how to tank, but MRD makes you learn some of the important bits of tanking faster (mob positioning, resource conservation, using cooldowns).

I still wish they'd had the sense to shift Shield Oath 10 or even 5 levels earlier, because why would you ever use Sword Oath again outside of soloing? Make it easier for when roulette gives something like Longstop.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hate getting neverreap because it requires your DPS to be at least somewhat competent compared to FC.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Neverreap scares me for the same reason Hullbreaker did: those god drat bees.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hate getting neverreap because it requires your DPS to be at least somewhat competent compared to FC.

FC requires your healer to be competent.

Good thing I usually run EX as a SCH :smug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Moldy Taxes posted:

Neverreap scares me for the same reason Hullbreaker did: those god drat bees.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

vOv posted:

I vastly prefer it over FC.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

bonewitch posted:

FC requires your healer to be competent.

Good thing I usually run EX as a SCH :smug:

I'm mad about the dark knight bugs because I used to be able to just abyssal drain myself to full when I pull entire rooms but now I have to take it a bit slower if I don't want to blow literally all my CDs per pack. :sigh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Halatali NM, me levelling my BLM for The Professional title. SCH healer put themselves on follow on me, and told me to keep up behind the tank, so they could AFK. Because they were doing us all a favor by being there.

/angrynerdmode on

Cue me doing my level best to DPS at the very limits of my range, using the leash distance of SCH and SCH's fairy to leave fairy just outside of range for healing. And to lock fairy and SCH outside of the first boss's door. Got kicked, sent a report.

Have a screenshot for funsies:

("friend" doesn't make any sense in this context, this was a DF group, I didn't know any of them. Except you, Zyra Zephyr. Now I know you. gently caress you.)

man, wtf.

Dude literally refuses to play the game and blames you for it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Truga posted:

I think I'd like neverreap a lot more if my only 60 right now wasn't a BLM.

As it is now, though, gently caress neverreap forever.

As a BLM and someone who just unlocked it yesterday, it was kind of astounding how I continually managed to pop all my cooldowns just before a phase required running all over the place.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Argas posted:

man, wtf.

Dude literally refuses to play the game and blames you for it.

Nothing stopping anyone else from playing SCH, really...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone being randomly disconnected while zoning since the expansion?

• Locked thread