Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

I am having a hearty gafaw at our Warhammer brothers over this Age of Sigmar fiasco. Feels so much like when 4th edition D&D came out, except 4th edition D&D actually had redeeming qualities. At least the minis are still cool, eh?

The difference is that when D&D grognards flipped their poo poo and declared that 4E was all a ploy to destroy D&D and drive them from the hobby they were being hyperbolic, whereas with Age of Sigmar it's much closer to actual fact (courtesy of a GW rep who straight-up said that all the Quelf-like elements were designed to make people embarrassed to play those armies in public).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

So yeah, board games! Kemet expansion looks pretty sweet so far, I dig that the new tiles do different things with the gold token, that's kind of clever.

The appropriateness of the power balancing of the new tiles remains to be seen. Increasing total soldiers capacity by three seems pretty weak for example. I don't see players maintain maxed out army counts often to begin with - will they when the max is three full packs? Ehh I dunno, lot of investment there. I'm still pretty hyped though.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

This looks a lot like aMazing Labyrinth, which is a game you can buy at Toys-R-Us today:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1219/amazeing-labyrinth

And I own both. They are the same game with significantly different goals, although it is possible to play a very simple version of Master that is basically aMAZEing. Not the greatest, but better kid/mainstream fare than most.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SuperKlaus posted:

The appropriateness of the power balancing of the new tiles remains to be seen. Increasing total soldiers capacity by three seems pretty weak for example. I don't see players maintain maxed out army counts often to begin with - will they when the max is three full packs? Ehh I dunno, lot of investment there. I'm still pretty hyped though.

I don't see it being an "always go-to" thing but there have for sure been games I've played where the ability to have three troops of five on the board would have made a difference, and for a 1-cost power tile having the option doesn't seem like a terrible deal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

If you already own and enjoy Mage Knight be prepared for some disappointment.

I'm a slight board game noob (if only because it's a total bitch to get groups together for anything, even board game night at a fairly big work environment unless I did a bunch of advertising during work or asking people on reddit, which is also fairly hard. My other options are to drive an hour to a hobby shop that has board game matches, which is not happening.), but I got the card game and while I've only had the chance to play it with myself, it's fun and I would play it more if I actually had others to play with.

On that same note, I had this D&D5ed just sitting here, with all the goodies unused because I can never get anyone to play. I'd ask my roommate, but he DM's like 2-4 different events over skype or someshit :\

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm a slight board game noob (if only because it's a total bitch to get groups together for anything, even board game night at a fairly big work environment unless I did a bunch of advertising during work or asking people on reddit, which is also fairly hard. My other options are to drive an hour to a hobby shop that has board game matches, which is not happening.), but I got the card game and while I've only had the chance to play it with myself, it's fun and I would play it more if I actually had others to play with.

On that same note, I had this D&D5ed just sitting here, with all the goodies unused because I can never get anyone to play. I'd ask my roommate, but he DM's like 2-4 different events over skype or someshit :\

Oh I totally agree, if you are a board gaming noob than Pathfinder cards are quite entertaining. In fact it was the first "designer" board game I cut my teeth on. My comment there was more about the quality of Mage Knight, once you play Mage Knight going back to Pathfinder Cards seems absurd.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
It's so hard to get board gaming groups together, even though board games are only getting better.

People think of Monopoly and don't want anything to do with board games, heh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Oh I totally agree, if you are a board gaming noob than Pathfinder cards are quite entertaining. In fact it was the first "designer" board game I cut my teeth on. My comment there was more about the quality of Mage Knight, once you play Mage Knight going back to Pathfinder Cards seems absurd.

1-4 hours though. Too many people are impatient and aren't interested in that length.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1-4 hours though. Too many people are impatient and aren't interested in that length.

I play one Mage Knight day every real day, it's about all I have patience for. Then the ol' blanket goes over it so the cat doesn't gently caress up the pieces.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

The difference is that when D&D grognards flipped their poo poo and declared that 4E was all a ploy to destroy D&D and drive them from the hobby they were being hyperbolic, whereas with Age of Sigmar it's much closer to actual fact (courtesy of a GW rep who straight-up said that all the Quelf-like elements were designed to make people embarrassed to play those armies in public).

Really? That quote sounds amazing. Is it on the internet anywhere?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SuperKlaus posted:

The reason most people don't recruit to capacity is because having less than a full sized troop is strategically poor but you don't have exactly enough units to fill out troops. You get 12 units so you can maintain a 5 and a 7 if you buy Legion, and if you do buy Legion you tend to recruit to capacity. Now buying this tile can give you three 5s, and people will recruit to capacity for that. Priest of Amun and this tile will be a big thing.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Does anyone have any general tips for Agricola? I've been playing it a lot with my GF, but I'm going to be playing it with a friend who has only played it once. Any good stuff I can tell him to even out the odds a bit?

How is farmers of the moor? GF is kinda in the "game if fine, don't make it more complicated" but I heard a lot of people think the fuel and stuff evens out the strategy a bit more, since just expanding isn't as strong.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Sistergodiva posted:

Does anyone have any general tips for Agricola? I've been playing it a lot with my GF, but I'm going to be playing it with a friend who has only played it once. Any good stuff I can tell him to even out the odds a bit?

If he's played once and has some grasp of the game's mechanics, then I'd probably recommend mentioning:

Don't underestimate the importance of having even just one extra family member, needing more food might be daunting but having that extra action more than makes up for it. Secondly, try not to get tunnel-visioned with your Occupations and Minor Improvements. It's easy to look at those cards and think "Hey, I can chain these off of each other!" but the reality is that you have to be really careful about the cards you play so that they actually get used.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I finally got to play Power Grid today, lots to like about it but is it just me or is the end game wonky as gently caress? In the end my friend was basically in a kingmaking position that took a bunch of math to figure out, not very satisfying.

I don't see myself wanting to play it over Keyflower ever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not a huge fan of Powergrid myself. The end always comes out to making sure you haven't advanced enough to be too far back in the turn order and then using piles of cash you saved in order to spread as much as possible.

I don't mind maths exercises but Powergrid feels really dry and boring to me.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Who bought Forbidden Stars, and what do you guys think? I love CITOW and Game of Thrones, and I keep hearing this is a mix of the best mechanics of both of those. Then again if I already own both of those games, do I really need another 3-4 player area control game?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Who bought Forbidden Stars, and what do you guys think? I love CITOW and Game of Thrones, and I keep hearing this is a mix of the best mechanics of both of those. Then again if I already own both of those games, do I really need another 3-4 player area control game?
I think somebody in here suggested it did okay with two players. Which is most interesting

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played Dream Quest, as iOS deckbuilding adventure thing. Some thoughts:

First, you probably heard the art is bad. Whatever you're imagining "bad" means, it's worse than that; it's not like "Sentinels" bad, it's like "stick men and scribbles" bad. Terrible. One exception: I like the art on the "Extract" card, which shows a bit of brain on a fork. I could forgive the scribbles if they all had a bit character like this.

The game is vaguely Rogue-like: you start with a character-specific deck, and you fight monsters on successive, random dungeon floors (and the floors have themes, so you'll be underwater and fight fish or whatever). There's randomly treasure chests and shops where you can get stat increases, new cards, and chances to upgrade or trash cards. Monsters are themed, with special powers and abilities, many of which are strong enough that you need to change your approach in order to deal with them (eg. the cat thing counters the first card you play every turn). You can choose to keep cards between turns, so there's a bit more hand management than a normal deckbuilder.

That sounds good, right? It is. It's a really super strong start for a game.

They do kind of botch it up, though:

1. The layouts are very, very random - and they swing freely from super easy with big gifts everywhere, to straight up impossible. Sometimes the levels are arranged in a way that you can manage the order of your encounters, time your level ups so that you get health back, etc... but too often you end up in a single linear sort of hallway, and you're completely at the whim of luck as to whether that works.
2. You have too little control of available cards to make deckbuilding satisfying. The shop might have just what you need, or you might get just what you need when you level up. Or you might start out going for spells and then be given a long train of stuff that needs action points (or whatever). To succeed, you need to build a good focused deck and often you just can't. Deckbuilding should be the fun part, instead it's often just frustrating.
3. There's too few choices in actual play, especially at the beginning. You start out with a handsize of 2 (?!?!?), and during the first stage of the game (which you'll see a lot, because you'll die a lot) you just dump your hand and say go and hope that means you win.
4. You just randomly get shut down sometimes. Often. Huh, there's a clone here (he starts with the same deck as you) that I have to go through, but he's higher level than me (even though I've got all the XP I could). I lose. It's the "invulnerable guy who dies after 7 turns that you just have to wait out" and I have an aggressive deck that can't heal - so all my cards are blank and I wait to die. Oh, now it's the "guy who you have to kill in 7 turns or else you auto-lose", and I have a sustain'ish deck, so I lose again. It's the "guy who has a chance of randomly exiling a card from your deck when you cast", and I have a small deck. I lose, with 0 cards left because his trigger randomly fired a lot.

Anyway, despite kronking up so much stuff, this is still better than almost anything else out there - the core ideas are strong enough that the game still works pretty well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You guys are seriously recommending this...

seriously?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
We did a big board gaming thing at a buddy's place over the weekend and I tried out Nations. loving hated it, which surprised me since I like Through the Ages and they felt fairly similar. Someone got Sun Tzu early and just dominated me and another player. Never got anything to dig me out of the hole I ended up in, was scrabbling for resources constantly and I knew I was screwed almost 2 hours before it ended. I mean, I know most of it was my own gently caress-up, but I seriously didn't see a way back from not having access to any of the cards I could use to help myself because the first player consistently got two actions to get anything good off of the board.

Also I really don't like how big the board with the cards is. I thought it was too much stuff to keep track of, personally. I overlooked stuff that would have worked because there were two or three other cards that would do different jobs. Found the entire thing deeply frustrating.

Aside from that, people in my group really enjoyed Cthulhu Wars, which I have yet to play. We also got in some One Night Ultimate Werewolf and I got to try out Sellswords, a game that I got wrecked in, but still enjoyed. There was some other stuff, but scotch was involved.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

seriously?

Real gamers don't see artwork and graphics, only game mechanics. Like the Matrix or something.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bottom Liner posted:

Graphics are not important.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Scyther posted:

Real gamers don't see artwork and graphics, only game mechanics. Like the Matrix or something.

The matrix had amazing graphics though. Also featured permadeath, crazy character customization and a huge multi-player potential.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The matrix had amazing graphics though. Also featured permadeath, crazy character customization and a huge multi-player potential.
It had rampant cheating though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Echophonic posted:

We did a big board gaming thing at a buddy's place over the weekend and I tried out Nations. loving hated it, which surprised me since I like Through the Ages and they felt fairly similar. Someone got Sun Tzu early and just dominated me and another player. Never got anything to dig me out of the hole I ended up in, was scrabbling for resources constantly and I knew I was screwed almost 2 hours before it ended. I mean, I know most of it was my own gently caress-up, but I seriously didn't see a way back from not having access to any of the cards I could use to help myself because the first player consistently got two actions to get anything good off of the board.

Also I really don't like how big the board with the cards is. I thought it was too much stuff to keep track of, personally. I overlooked stuff that would have worked because there were two or three other cards that would do different jobs. Found the entire thing deeply frustrating.

It really sounds like the designer went into the trap that is giving the leader further advantages. Which is intuitive as gently caress, because rewarding people for doing well seems right, but as we all know, leads to snowballing and unfun experiences for everyone else. This is one of the biggest reasons Dominion is a great game*, it knows to punish the leader instead of rewarding her, thus keeping everyone in the game. Power Grid does this too some extent with the turn order too, supplemented by politics.

*I don't like it too much myself, but that's beside the point.

Edit: Hi, I'm captain obvious!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, Nations is a game which is almost good, but is bad enough in the ways that it's bad that it's become close to unplayable for me. If you don't get either a good food building or a good stability building (preferably both) early, you're more or less hosed (from experience), and that's ignoring all the other badness of it. It's a MASSIVELY death-spirally game. Which is a shame, because it's certainly quicker and less fiddly than TtA, and could easily have replaced it if it were better designed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

seriously?

I don't play it anymore because if I do I stay up til 3AM and I'm way too old for that poo poo. It just got a big update too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Karmoderm posted:

Really? That quote sounds amazing. Is it on the internet anywhere?

serious gaylord posted:

GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.

There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.

They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.

The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Graphics are not important.

that's a good drat meeting

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Congrats to Colt Express and Broom Service for winning the SDJ and KdJ respectively! :toot: I really want to give a Broom Service a try now.

I'm so glad Machi Koro didn't win.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

seriously?

I agree, way to much system resources being wasted on pointless graphics. lol if every computer game you play doesn't look like this:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
ASCII is preferable to kindergarden :smug:

For anyone with Agricola on iOS, which IAP deck is better/can someone tell me the difference in them? I've only ever played with the vanilla cards and I'm ready to branch out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, Nations is a game which is almost good, but is bad enough in the ways that it's bad that it's become close to unplayable for me. If you don't get either a good food building or a good stability building (preferably both) early, you're more or less hosed (from experience), and that's ignoring all the other badness of it. It's a MASSIVELY death-spirally game. Which is a shame, because it's certainly quicker and less fiddly than TtA, and could easily have replaced it if it were better designed.

I actually had both of those things early on and still only ended up with points for my buildings at the end of the game. I couldn't even afford an age 4 building. The war mechanics are really brutal and part of the problem. The person with the most military goes first, takes a war and forces everyone to build military or lose 6+ resources (read: VP and a bunch of books if you're already behind)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Deathlove posted:

that's a good drat meeting

Needs more "guy playing with his smartphone"

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Scyther posted:

clearclaw (of course) posted:

I buy game rules. The fact that they often come with bits is a bonus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Echophonic posted:

I actually had both of those things early on and still only ended up with points for my buildings at the end of the game. I couldn't even afford an age 4 building. The war mechanics are really brutal and part of the problem. The person with the most military goes first, takes a war and forces everyone to build military or lose 6+ resources (read: VP and a bunch of books if you're already behind)

You may have missed a critical rule with wars, i.e. you lose the number of resources minus your current stability. Also, you can and should be buying the wars as the militarily-trailing player, and thereby setting the war value low so no-one else can set it high.

But see previous comments about death spiralling. It's a game where you need a lot of everything - money for buying stuff, rocks for building stuff, food/stab for recruiting, military or stab for not dying, and you still need somehow to earn points. It's really hard to make it work well, and IME in a four player game someone winds up getting mega-hosed, every time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, as 3D printing gets cheaper and cheaper, that's really going to start being an actual thing, I think. A significant subset of the serious board gaming population who can reliably produce their own pieces.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Honestly, as 3D printing gets cheaper and cheaper, that's really going to start being an actual thing, I think. A significant subset of the serious board gaming population who can reliably produce their own pieces.

Can't wait!

"Hey I got this new game! Let's pop it open."

"Cool. You read the rules. I'll print the board graphics, run to Michaels and get some mat boards and spray adhesive, and then build the board!"

"Jeff, can you feed these meeple files into the CNC and and then sand and paint them?"

"Sure thing!"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Oldstench posted:

Can't wait!

"Hey I got this new game! Let's pop it open."

"Cool. You read the rules. I'll print the board graphics, run to Michaels and get some mat boards and spray adhesive, and then build the board!"

"Jeff, can you feed these meeple files into the CNC and and then sand and paint them?"

"Sure thing!"

Because the most likely scenario is that people would wait until they want to play a game to utilize the technology, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I know there's already a lot of tutorials for molding and copying 40k minis, though that's probably just because of the combination of "insanely popular" and "absurdly overpriced".