Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope it's not a translation thing, and ManGator is planning on stopping by Pawn Stars on his way to the next floor. I bet Rick has a friend who knows all about cocky turtle asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-154/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=235

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Bam the Fisherman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMJ4-ai1I

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I feel its about time Bam finally becomes ludicrously powerful like the other irregulars but I suppose it kind of messes with the story if he's that much more of a monster than the regulars

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's always great when Rak reverts to giant-mode :allears:

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
"Bros before eel bowls" - Rak Wrathraiser, 2015

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-155/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=236 Oh hi there, old friend.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-156/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=237

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nut shot. :allears:

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Shugojin posted:

Nut shot. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCDY5XhZng

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-157/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=238

Hoaqin revealed, and somewhat explained.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do Slayer candidates have to be irregulars or is there some other reason they can be one?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Jose posted:

Do Slayer candidates have to be irregulars or is there some other reason they can be one?

Baam has been the only irregular slayer candidate so far, other slayer candidates have just been really really strong. If I remember right it's only Zahard that can't be killed by a regular, so the other slayers would be for fighting the heads of the other families.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hirethor posted:

Baam has been the only irregular slayer candidate so far, other slayer candidates have just been really really strong. If I remember right it's only Zahard that can't be killed by a regular, so the other slayers would be for fighting the heads of the other families.

Yup - there's one Slayer position available for each of the respective family heads, and a final one (which needs to be an irregular) reserved for Zahard. That's why Baam (and to an extent, Rachel) is such a big deal. The only Irregulars to have come after Zahard's troupe, to my memory, are Urek, Phantaminium, Baam, and Rachel - and the first two were already so powerful that FUG couldn't possibly have controlled them.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Sarcophallus posted:

Yup - there's one Slayer position available for each of the respective family heads, and a final one (which needs to be an irregular) reserved for Zahard. That's why Baam (and to an extent, Rachel) is such a big deal. The only Irregulars to have come after Zahard's troupe, to my memory, are Urek, Phantaminium, Baam, and Rachel - and the first two were already so powerful that FUG couldn't possibly have controlled them.

And Enryu, the guy who made the Thorn.
http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Enryu

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, Enryu, Urek, and Phantaminum are the only irregulars besides (probably) Zahard and his group and Baam/Rachel.

Of those three, Urek founded his own organization. Enryu killed a floor guardian, making the Thorn, (which was not even thought to be possible) and then vanished. Phantaminum just showed up one day and beat the poo poo out of everyone then got up to Zahard himself before turning around for no reason. No one knows what his deal is. However, apparently he is something SIU called an Axis User which sounds like some Dark Tower-class fourth wall loving bullshit :catstare:

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Never read that before. So is it OK to compare an Axis user to someone like The Beyonder or other godlike entities from Marvel?

Note: I'm not too big into Marvel but I watch top 10 Strongest marvel characters on youtube, sometimes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No, their power is literally narrative. There is absolutely nothing a non-Axis user can do against one. Only another stronger Axis user can impose a stronger narrative to overwrite them. It wouldn't matter if you were the strongest and smartest people on the planet fighting a moron that happened to be an Axis user, he wins because his overwrites your life. As the writer said, Phantaminum could totally derail the ToG plot if he wanted to.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Fortunately its been inducated that he wont factor into the story, hes really just part of the background and history. Some of the other irregulars might play a role though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

New chapter lives up to the thread title.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Mangator is too cute :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up on the last like ~100 chapters and was wondering something: how are Baam and all the others paying for food/lodging while they train for all these tests and stuff? Is Khun really rich? Given Wangnan's back story it doesn't seem like regular's get all this stuff automatically paid for.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up on the last like ~100 chapters and was wondering something: how are Baam and all the others paying for food/lodging while they train for all these tests and stuff? Is Khun really rich? Given Wangnan's back story it doesn't seem like regular's get all this stuff automatically paid for.

Koon is rich, Baam may have money left over from FUG (when it was just him and the new group they mentioned that they were all living on his expense), otherwise maybe they do odd jobs along the way? Or take stuff from the people they beat up?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
There have been references to "Test points" as a form of currency throughout the story, and Koon is also rich.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another question that popped up: Why did Androssi (and I guess other people like Anak that are also super old) wait hundreds of years to start climbing the tower? Like, they were hundreds of years old when the story begins, so they had to have been doing something during that time. I would say "training so they could climb more easily", but it seems like climbing itself is way more time efficient on that front.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The main thing that makes no sense is how there are so many people on each floor. Because each person on a given floor has to have passed the floors below, yet passing each floor is some super difficult thing.

Are there quintillions of people on the lower floors, because it's the only explanation for how there are enough people for a crowd to exist at say, the workshop battle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shakugan posted:

The main thing that makes no sense is how there are so many people on each floor. Because each person on a given floor has to have passed the floors below, yet passing each floor is some super difficult thing.

Are there quintillions of people on the lower floors, because it's the only explanation for how there are enough people for a crowd to exist at say, the workshop battle.

To be fair, you could have, say, a million people on floor X and have that be only a tiny fraction of several billion (and we know the tower is some huge planet-sized entity).

That being said, it doesn't make since how people like Androssi and some of Baam's other companions have managed to have trouble with tests while other mooks have supposedly passed the same tests.

edit: I just got to soon after Baam joins up with that martial arts guy. I like him, he seems pretty chill.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 21, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Androssi and Anak are Regulars, they didn't wait to start climbing the tower, they had to wait to be chosen by Headon.

A lot of Regulars climb to floor X, then give up settle down and have kids. Every floor has a large population of people who were born there but never chosen to climb. They are restricted to certain parts of the level where they were born, and most cannot advance in society. Depending on their family's status and power they could be treated better than the average Regular, as second class citizens or as serfs.

You don't need to climb the tower to be powerful, but powerful people are usually chosen to be Regulars and the testing process usually filters out the really weak ones, like Rachel. The shut-in princess that Yuri goes to visit for intel is not a Regular, she was not chosen and cannot leave the level she's on, Ranker but she's still an extremely powerful and influential individual as her giant array of lighthouses lets her spy on every level of the tower.

The test difficulty is also arbitrary, as we saw with Quant's test vs Lero-Ro's. We only see one group of characters being tested as a time, but each floor has dozens of testers running different tests simultaneously. Weaker Regulars can climb the tower by attaching themselves to a more powerful group or individual, having an influential family, or just getting lucky. Stronger Regulars can get held up by bad luck in opponents, or by pissing off the testing staff. Strength is also relative, a lot of the nameless mooks that we see on the higher levels could have slaughtered the entire cast back on level 2.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 21, 2015

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Avulsion posted:

The shut-in princess that Yuri goes to visit for intel is not a Regular, she was not chosen and cannot leave the level she's on, but she's still an extremely powerful and influential individual as her giant array of lighthouses lets her spy on every level of the tower.

Wait what? Do you have a source for that? I was under the impression she'd have to make a contract with a guardian of her floor to use shinsoo for the lighthouse; which wouldn't be a privilege an unchosen person would have.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sarcophallus posted:

Wait what? Do you have a source for that? I was under the impression she'd have to make a contract with a guardian of her floor to use shinsoo for the lighthouse; which wouldn't be a privilege an unchosen person would have.

I'm sure I read it somewhere more authoritative, but this the closest thing I can find to a source now: http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Jaina_Repellista_Zahard

edit: I'm probably wrong about her not being a Regular

Ho could use Shinsoo in his/her/hir flashbacks. Controlling Shinsoo makes you immortal, and freezes you at around the age where you got past basic training. Anak and Androssi are 300 years old, but definitely don't look it. Laure is also 142.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 21, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, so I'm guessing part of the reason Androssi is so much stronger than most other regulars is that she had a few hundred years to train before being selected as a regular. Was she chosen as a Zahard's Princess before becoming a Regular or after? Also, even though she's a lot stronger, it seems a lot more impressive for some of the other, younger Regulars (like, say, Hatsu) to be a fraction of her power at like 1/10 of her lifespan.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, so I'm guessing part of the reason Androssi is so much stronger than most other regulars is that she had a few hundred years to train before being selected as a regular. Was she chosen as a Zahard's Princess before becoming a Regular or after? Also, even though she's a lot stronger, it seems a lot more impressive for some of the other, younger Regulars (like, say, Hatsu) to be a fraction of her power at like 1/10 of her lifespan.

Before, she was already a Princess on the 2nd floor which is really the first for Regulars. She's super powerful because Zahard gave her power. It's not really clear what's involved in a Regular starting to climb the Tower because the only POVs we've had are Baam and a flashback of Rachel watching Baam.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm at the part where Baam is losing his poo poo and Wangnan and Yeon are fighting Cassano.

So am I correct in thinking that, say, Quant (as a ranker) could wipe the floor with every one of the people involved in this fight? I'm wondering why FUG doesn't just send a single ranker along to completely nip any problems in the bud. Like, it's hard to think that anything going on is "serious business" when none of the parties involved can or are willing to devote rankers to the issue.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

I'm at the part where Baam is losing his poo poo and Wangnan and Yeon are fighting Cassano.

So am I correct in thinking that, say, Quant (as a ranker) could wipe the floor with every one of the people involved in this fight? I'm wondering why FUG doesn't just send a single ranker along to completely nip any problems in the bud. Like, it's hard to think that anything going on is "serious business" when none of the parties involved can or are willing to devote rankers to the issue.

Basically FUG aren't strong enough to take on Zahard and the 10 Families in a straight up fight, and the only reason they are allowed to exist is because they (pretend) to follow the rules of the Tower, and the rules say Rankers aren't allowed to mess with Regulars during tests. FUG and Wolhaiksong even go so far as to leave powerful Regulars stationed at lower levels in the tower so they can help out more promising Regulars during tests.

No matter how strong you are, there is (almost) always someone in the Tower who is stronger.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Avulsion posted:

No matter how strong you are, there is (almost) always someone in the Tower who is stronger.

I really like this about ToG. It's the typical Shonen/seinen thing, except it's straight part of the setting. Even the ten families seem to only be held in check due to Zahard.

I just wish the different combat roles stayed more important. Because right now it's lightbearers and everyone else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I think I'm able to put my finger on one of the few kind of inconsistent things I've noticed about Tower of God's setting. It seems really bizarre that Baam and the other main character have come into contact with so many 10 Family members. Even if the elder Koon (who I think is supposed to have the most wives) sired a child every single day, it still wouldn't explain coming across multiple of his children in both a relatively limited time and while traversing floors which supposedly have millions of regulars on them. I understand it being much better from a narrative standpoint to display the characteristics of some of the different families and what have you, but it doesn't jive with Tower of God's stated scale.

The one potential explanation for this that I could see being valid is if irregulars like Baam literally draw other important people to them through through the force of their fate, or something.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ytlaya posted:

So I think I'm able to put my finger on one of the few kind of inconsistent things I've noticed about Tower of God's setting. It seems really bizarre that Baam and the other main character have come into contact with so many 10 Family members. Even if the elder Koon (who I think is supposed to have the most wives) sired a child every single day, it still wouldn't explain coming across multiple of his children in both a relatively limited time and while traversing floors which supposedly have millions of regulars on them. I understand it being much better from a narrative standpoint to display the characteristics of some of the different families and what have you, but it doesn't jive with Tower of God's stated scale.

The one potential explanation for this that I could see being valid is if irregulars like Baam literally draw other important people to them through through the force of their fate, or something.

Baam's Bizarre Adventure.
Irregulars draw other irregulars to them!
Oh My God!
Rachel pushes Baam. Roundabout begins to play.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

How many members of the 10 Families have they met by accident? Baam met Blue Turtle, Laure and three Princesses on the first and second floors (and I'm not so sure that was an accident) and Yeon on the 20th. Blue Turtle recruited Ran and Novick, and may have sought them out on purpose. Gameboy Koon only showed up on the second floor because Yuri was looking for Baam. Ha Yura ran into the group because of Emily's meddling (or she might be working for her relative Princess Ha Yuri Zahard).

The leaders of the 10 families are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of years old. They have a lot of kids and grandkids, so many that most don't even know each other. In addition to wealth and influence, members of the 10 families seem to be physically superior to the average person. Most people don't make it to the top of the tower, and those that do usually take centuries, or millennia, to get there. Baam and company are blitzing through the tower at a relatively high speed and spending most of their time in testing areas or high end residential districts, as opposed to living in a shanty town and working menial jobs to raise the funds to take on the next test.

Finally, there's Headon, the Guardian of the First Floor who chooses all the Regulars and set this entire story in motion. I don't think it was a coincidence that there were two Princesses, a megalomaniacal Koon, a FUG Guide and a few others with anti-establishment views in Baam's second floor group.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Soylentbits posted:

Baam's Bizarre Adventure.
Irregulars draw other irregulars to them!
Oh My God!
Rachel pushes Baam. Roundabout begins to play.

I want to watch this anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

TheRagamuffin posted:

I want to watch this anime.

Didn't Jojo play Roundabout as an OP/ED song? That was awesome. A TOG anime would kick all kinds of rear end