Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Broniki posted:

The crusade was triggered by game journalists showing that protecting their buddies and identity politics were their true priorities, not acknowledging the problems in the industry, calling out the people they liked for their lovely behaviour or, well, talking about games.

Actually the belligerent stupidity of Gamers is a problem in the industry that needs to be acknowledged.

quote:

No one went a-bloo-bloo-bloo to the statement "gamers are dead"[1] they just took it as an affirmation of how contemptible games journalists were as they threw out a dozen articles of reactionary[2] hissy-fitting over the other shoe falling.[3]

1. Lie.
2. Actually the opposite of the definition of reactionary.
3. If we define "the other shoe falling" as "a bunch of loathsome shitheads spazzing out" then yes they did respond to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Broniki posted:

The crusade was triggered by game journalists showing that protecting their buddies and identity politics were their true priorities, not acknowledging the problems in the industry, calling out the people they liked for their lovely behaviour or, well, talking about games.

Actually the crusade was triggered when an emotionally unstable man had a nasty breakup and aired all of his emotional dirty laundry regarding his ex, which then blew up from obscure gossip to some kind of allegation about collusion in indie gaming which turned out to be wholly unsubstantiated.

Broniki posted:

No one went a-bloo-bloo-bloo to the statement "gamers are dead" they just took it as an affirmation of how contemptible games journalists were as they threw out a dozen articles of reactionary hissy-fitting over the other shoe falling.

Op-eds about social movements and the labels gamers use to identify themselves do not count as journalism about video games. Nor are the opinions of a handful of persons on the internet indicative of some kind of conspiracy to censor gamers. It seems as if you're upset that gamers were criticized at all, which doesn't seem to be a very mature way to begin discourse about the way people discuss video games.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Broniki posted:

No one went a-bloo-bloo-bloo to the statement "gamers are dead"

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22gamers%20are%20dead%22&src=typd&vertical=default&f=images

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
As far as the Escapist goes, they also ran two articles about what devs think about GG. One was titled "What Developers Think About #GamerGate" and the other "What Female Developers Think About #GamerGate." They changed this when people pointed out that was pretty drat sexist. The Female article was all anonymous because no female devs wanted to become targets. The Male article was cherry picked GG supporters including people actually proven to be involved with the harassment. Also one of the dudes is making a Gorean RPG which is just such a perfect cherry on the poo poo sunday.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Actually the crusade was triggered when an emotionally unstable man had a nasty breakup and aired all of his emotional dirty laundry regarding his ex, which then blew up from obscure gossip to some kind of allegation about collusion in indie gaming which turned out to be wholly unsubstantiated.

They still routinely forget that it was unsubstantiated, and the mob mentality of GG reinforces its own selective memory. How I'm expected to trust these people to make good, ethical decisions is anybody's guess.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

And no, "this dude shagged this lady and then acknowledged her game in a 50 games list" doesn't approach that. Hell, even if it did it wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the unethical practices the Games Industry participates in.

And it's even portraying it like that is incorrect and more sensationalistic than the actual situation. Grayson's writings preceded their romantic relationship.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Broniki posted:

No one went a-bloo-bloo-bloo to the statement "gamers are dead"

They have and still do.

7c Nickel posted:

Also one of the dudes is making a Gorean RPG which is just such a perfect cherry on the poo poo sunday.

And yet this is the one example GG could give of being pro-feminist, or at least not rabidly anti-feminist at the expense of ethics. All pretty lol if you ask me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that is the thing I legitimately don't understand.

They talk about ethics and lack of censorship but every single time I see it comes up it is an argument in favor of censorship and poor criticism. By and large it seems to be saying that there is no place for politics in video game journalism which... like, how does this mesh with something like Bioshock or Spec Ops: The Line where the politics of the story are so deeply ingrained into it that praise or criticism can't reliably exist without discussing it. What is ethical games journalism and why is it a good thing?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I legitimately want to know what the intended goal of the non-misogynistic GG engine is. What is ethical games journalism?

For a lot of pro-GGto seems they just want a disclose and up front honestly between the game reviewers and developers. (Both indie and mainstream) That why posters in this thread keep referring to David Auerbach article How to kill GamerGate which stated as much and would have nipped most of the moderates at the very beginning.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

As far as the Escapist goes, they also ran two articles about what devs think about GG. One was titled "What Developers Think About #GamerGate" and the other "What Female Developers Think About #GamerGate." They changed this when people pointed out that was pretty drat sexist. The Female article was all anonymous because no female devs wanted to become targets. The Male article was cherry picked GG supporters including people actually proven to be involved with the harassment. Also one of the dudes is making a Gorean RPG which is just such a perfect cherry on the poo poo sunday.

To be fair, once people realized that there was someone on there that was involved with the abuse, they pulled his portion of the interview.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Archer666 posted:

To be fair, once people realized that there was someone on there that was involved with the abuse, they pulled his portion of the interview.

But I thought none of the online harassment comes from GamerGaters. Isn't that what GG has been saying the whole time?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Archer666 posted:

You mean once they got called on it. The guy who put together the articles had donated to said Gorean RPG's kickstarter. He knew exactly who he was pushing forward as the voice of game developers.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Since GamerGate said that GamerGaters don't do harassment, and GamerGate never lies, then that means they pulled his portion of the interview for no reason. That sounds unethical to me. Why would GamerGate support an unethical source for gaming journalism?

7c Nickel posted:

You mean once they got called on it. The guy who put together the articles had donated to said Gorean RPG's kickstarter. He knew exactly who he was pushing forward as the voice of game developers.

I'm surprised that Second Life isn't more popular with the GamerGate crowd. It seems like the perfect game for them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Did he disclose this journalist-developer relation within the article? Gamergate supporters within this thread have stated that donating to a patreon is enough for a conflict of interest.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

circ dick soleil posted:

Since GamerGate said that GamerGaters don't do harassment, and GamerGate never lies, then that means they pulled his portion of the interview for no reason. That sounds unethical to me. Why would GamerGate support an unethical source for gaming journalism?

No true gamer gator would do those things. Except for the people who started the movement, and named it. But stop talking about those people, or you are committing a fallacy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Broniki posted:

No one went a-bloo-bloo-bloo to the statement "gamers are dead" they just took it as an affirmation of how contemptible games journalists were as they threw out a dozen articles of reactionary hissy-fitting over the other shoe falling.

The initial article doesn't even mention gamers are dead. It states that gamers are over. Hell, this post even contradicts itself in that you state that they don't acknowledge problems in the industry, yet they prioritized identity politics as if diversity wasn't a problem in the industry. I guess it isn't a problem in your eyes, but maybe they feel that it is a big problem.

I mean the big loving elephant in the room is that there is that the largest gaming publication out there is owned by one of the largest video game retailers in the world.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

circ dick soleil posted:

But I thought none of the online harassment comes from GamerGaters. Isn't that what GG has been saying the whole time?

You should ask that to someone who actually is pro-gg.

7c Nickel posted:

Now, this I didn't know. It makes the whole thing a lot funnier. Yeah, lets put forward the guy who everyone knows is a crazy rear end in a top hat. Surely nothing can go wrong.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

circ dick soleil posted:

They still routinely forget that it was unsubstantiated, and the mob mentality of GG reinforces its own selective memory. How I'm expected to trust these people to make good, ethical decisions is anybody's guess.

There were chat logs that quinn confirmed though? By all reasonable accounts quinn emotionally and sexually abused her boyfriend and then a bunch of people covered for her with literal censorship followed by colluded smear campaigns. I was never quite sure when it turned into an ethics in video games journalism thing but as someone who was around when Eron's original manifesto went up the thing everyone was mad about was how everyone went to bat for a lovely person then tried to deflect all the criticism as misogynistic. Gamergate would have never been a thing if zoey got flung under the bus like tempkin did.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Neurolimal posted:

Did he disclose this journalist-developer relation within the article? Gamergate supporters within this thread have stated that donating to a patreon is enough for a conflict of interest.

I couldn't find anything about it on deepfreeze.it about his financial ties to the subject of that article. Is this another one of GamerGate's cover ups?

Archer666 posted:

You should ask that to someone who actually is pro-gg.

They're free to answer if they wish.

ArbitraryC posted:

There were chat logs that quinn confirmed though? By all reasonable accounts quinn emotionally and sexually abused her boyfriend and then a bunch of people covered for her with literal censorship followed by colluded smear campaigns. I was never quite sure when it turned into an ethics in video games journalism thing but as someone who was around when Eron's original manifesto went up the thing everyone was mad about was how everyone went to bat for a lovely person then tried to deflect all the criticism as misogynistic. Gamergate would have never been a thing if zoey got flung under the bus like tempkin did.

That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about the sleeping around for reviews that was proven to never have happened. Cool story though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

circ dick soleil posted:

That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about the sleeping around for reviews that was proven to never have happened. Cool story though.
Well yeah but it's clear that personal connections are what absolved her of all wrongdoing in the first place. It's not like they deleted thousands of reddit posts and circled the journalistic wagons on her for no reason. Sure maybe some stupid people have clung to misinformation in their attempt to articulate their grievances but the general complaints that zoe is a lovely person who abused her boyfriend then used her connections to manipulate the media narrative surrounding coverage of her is entirely accurate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Would you care to explain how the personal details of a woman's relationship connect with ethics in games journalism?

e: oh, I see that is mystifying to you as well. But I have an answer: misogyny.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Video games are fun and cool and a whole lot of people want to make them way more than they are, which is things that are fun and cool.

Edit: Depression quest was a loving terrible game. It has nothing to do with who made it. A nerd savior like Schafer could have made it and it still would be one of the worst "video games" ever made.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not like they deleted thousands of reddit posts and circled the journalistic wagons on her for no reason.

Well yeah, it's not like that at all.

Unless you were being sarcastic and are actually saying that this entire shitshow was started over deleted reddit posts. Which would make it even more pathetic than it already is.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gjoni (by his own admission) building a file on Quinn during and after the final days of their relationship by prowling her social media feeds, as well as the accounts that he physically abused her, do not exactly inspire confidence in his rambling screed.

When you have mutual accusations of abuse (as is the case between Quinn and Gjoni), you may want to try and suss out if someone's DARVOing before you pass judgment. One set of questions you can ask is "Which one is trying to pursue the other by forcing open lines of communication?" and "Which one is trying to get away from the other?". That can tell you a lot.

I doubt Quinn's "industry connections" are the reason she's secured a restraining order against Gjoni, and not vice versa.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 6, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Useful Distraction posted:

this entire shitshow was started over deleted reddit posts. Which would make it even more pathetic than it already is.

The large-scale suppression of any discussion about it certainly contributed, yes. It's curious just how much the topic upset your typical web forum moderator - even the places most open to the stupid and inane shuttered discussion because apparently this one topic was just too stupid and inane.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Knifegrab posted:

Video games are fun and cool and a whole lot of people want to make them way more than they are, which is things that are fun and cool.

Edit: Depression quest was a loving terrible game. It has nothing to do with who made it. A nerd savior like Schafer could have made it and it still would be one of the worst "video games" ever made.

If we begin from the premise that things are fun are always better than things that are not fun which are terrible then I suppose this follows but by that logic Transformers 4 is way better than Schindler's List.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

I don't think I misread it

The original post states that gamergate is still about Quinn, and will always be about Quinn because it started about Quinn. It's genetic fallacy in its purest form.

If that's what you read then sorry, but no, you did misread it. Look specifically at the quote (emphasis mine):

SedanChair posted:

Again, there is no "moving on" from what happened to Quinn. It is where the movement came from and where the name came from. If gamergaters disagree, it's time to disband their movement, stop using the name and scatter to the four winds.

Notice the use of past tense. Again, you can claim genetic fallacy if you wish, but you fall into appeal to coincidence, fallacy of division, sampling bias and really just several fallacies. I appreciate your desire for robust debate but please either provide it yourself or stop using random arse-grabs to try and deny others the ability to question your position.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Well yeah, it's not like that at all.

Unless you were being sarcastic and are actually saying that this entire shitshow was started over deleted reddit posts. Which would make it even more pathetic than it already is.

It did though, that's literally when it started. If the same communities and blogs that threw max under the bus gave Zoe the same treatment gamergate would have never been a thing. Instead zoe used her connections first to try and censor the issue, and then when that didn't work, to have an organized smear campaign that misrepresented people's grievances and characterized everything as misogynistic in nature. That's what created the original two sides, one full of the people who got poo poo on in a series of journal articles, the other full of people who took the onesided coverage as wholesale gospel. I think that's why it became more vague and about 'ethics in video game journalism', because the community felt really betrayed by the cronyism in how everything went down in the coverage.

Now if you want to make the argument that no one should have taken Zoe to task over what she did to Eron in the first place, perhaps that' fair I don't really have an opinion, but when it's come to males in the industry that have had similar complaints levied against them, the people who are trying to be 'and why is a woman's sexlife your business?' certainly were doing the exact opposite.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

A nerd like Schafer could have made it and it would have been worse

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BexGu posted:

For a lot of pro-GGto seems they just want a disclose and up front honestly between the game reviewers and developers. (Both indie and mainstream) That why posters in this thread keep referring to David Auerbach article How to kill GamerGate which stated as much and would have nipped most of the moderates at the very beginning.

I agree with some of his points but I disagree with others. I don't think all of the gaming press is crap. I think that there are quite a few people that are attempting to do what they can to advocate for the gaming industry to be more inclusive, which is something that has been at odds with GamerGate and it's accusations of censorship. Polygon must have changed its ethics values recently because it no longer mentions what he states in the article, which should make some of those moderates happy. The Kotaku stuff seems to be about a journalist donating to a Patreon account. I also think he makes the mistake of what most people made in this thread with, "Both sides are doing it!"

I also disagree that Gamergate will go away simply because you do all those things. I don't know if you can be a moderate on a hashtag as virulent as that and I don't think Gamergate came out of nowhere. As he cites Brianna Wu on, this kind of stuff was taking place long before GamerGate was a thing. And I think that now that GG is here, it will be here to stay as cover for that kind of thing.

Still, I do think people should take a look at that article.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

That's what created the original two sides, one full of the people who got poo poo on in a series of journal articles,

The people who made Quinn's phone (and those of her family members) ring off the hook with death threats, you mean.

ArbitraryC posted:

the other full of people who took the onesided coverage as wholesale gospel

The people who don't think you should make people's phones ring off the hook with death threats, you mean.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Supercar Gautier posted:

Gjoni (by his own admission) building a file on Quinn during and after the final days of their relationship by prowling her social media feeds, as well as the accounts that he physically abused her, do not exactly inspire confidence in his rambling screed.

When you have mutual accusations of abuse (as is the case between Quinn and Gjoni), you may want to try and suss out if someone's DARVOing before you pass judgment. One set of questions you can ask is "Which one is trying to pursue the other by forcing open lines of communication?" and "Which one is trying to get away from the other?". That can tell you a lot.

I doubt Quinn's "industry connections" are the reason she's secured a restraining order against Gjoni, and not vice versa.

darvo is literally exactly what quinn did to eron. His chatlogs were irontight and zoe herself admitted to pretty much everything when pressed on it, eron was an actual victim here and the refusal to treat him like one is just due to gender bias in how we view abusive relationships.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BexGu posted:

That isn't really what that article ends up saying as near as I can tell. It basically paints 'moderate' GGers as blameless innocent people who only want ethical games journalism without actually citing what ethical games journalism is beyond some pretty extreme examples.

I mean this article basically just says "these people don't have to make any concessions, everyone should concede to them." Which... I don't agree on because I still don't know what they want.

I mean even here and now this conversation is still about Zoe Quinn. Why aren't people discussing Activision or EA or Square-Enix or Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo? Why is a fairly no-name game industry person even being discussed if this is about ethics in game journalism?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 6, 2015

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

Instead zoe used her connections first to try and censor the issue

Wait, what now? Which connections, how did she censor "the issue?" I'd like to say I'm (sadly) familiar with gamergate, but this is news to me.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Supercar Gautier posted:

The people who made Quinn's phone (and those of her family members) ring off the hook with death threats, you mean.

The people who don't think you should make people's phones ring off the hook with death threats, you mean.

Yeah I mean there are bad people on all sides of things, death threats went both ways and several men who were pilloried on gawker and the likes got the exact same kind of harrassment. It's never a good thing but you're just being dishonest to characterize the entire movement as about it or to pretend like it's been an entirely one way street.

Several of the prominent cases of harrassment were also shown to be entirely fabricated and I recall groups looking into it showing the number of gg related threatening tweets were actually very low.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Wait, what now? Which connections, how did she censor "the issue?" I'd like to say I'm (sadly) familiar with gamergate, but this is news to me.
When eron posted his manifesto and people were talking about it friends of quinn were the ones to bar discussion of it on forums and actively deleted thousands of posts on the topic and such.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't really what that article ends up saying as near as I can tell. It basically paints 'moderate' GGers as blameless innocent people who only want ethical games journalism without actually citing what ethical games journalism is beyond some pretty extreme examples.

I think that is the issue I had the biggest problem with, and as far as I know, it seems to be what his main thesis revolves around.

While I don't disagree that there are moderates in the movement, at some point you can't keep rolling with this poo poo and come out untainted. There is nothing stopping moderates from carving out a 3rd path and going their own way while dumping the GamerGate moniker.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

When eron posted his manifesto and people were talking about it friends of quinn were the ones to bar discussion of it on forums and actively deleted thousands of posts on the topic and such.

Which friends, which forums? Proof?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ArbitraryC posted:

As far as I can tell, it was mainly the moderators at reddit who did this. I know GamerGate likes to paint Zoe as a slut but she couldn't have possibly hosed all those people.

Those "posts" included a bunch of her personal information and such, aswell. It was hardly proactive discussion.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Which friends, which forums? Proof?
Reddit was the main one I was reading about before gamergate was even a coined term but iirc it extended to some chan boards. But this was over a year ago and my memory is a bit hazy, the original thread in gbs had a pretty unbiased coverage of the meltdown but I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

As far as I can tell, it was mainly the moderators at reddit who did this. I know GamerGate likes to paint Zoe as a slut but she couldn't have possibly hosed all those people.

Those "posts" included a bunch of her personal information and such, aswell. It was hardly proactive discussion.
There were mods specifically related to zoe that got the ball rolling on that though, iirc there were leaked chatlogs for that too. It's stuff like this that a lot of people don't know about though because of how one sided the more mainstream coverage has been.

• Locked thread