Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

thespaceinvader posted:

You may have missed a critical rule with wars, i.e. you lose the number of resources minus your current stability. Also, you can and should be buying the wars as the militarily-trailing player, and thereby setting the war value low so no-one else can set it high.

But see previous comments about death spiralling. It's a game where you need a lot of everything - money for buying stuff, rocks for building stuff, food/stab for recruiting, military or stab for not dying, and you still need somehow to earn points. It's really hard to make it work well, and IME in a four player game someone winds up getting mega-hosed, every time.

WHAT!? Son of a BITCH.

You are absolutely correct that we didn't do that right. I wasted so much time trying to mitigate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Honestly, as 3D printing gets cheaper and cheaper, that's really going to start being an actual thing, I think. A significant subset of the serious board gaming population who can reliably produce their own pieces.

Making game pieces is not hard at all, you don't need a 3D printer. I doubt being able to make detailed minis will changes people attitude towards arts & crafts, the reason people don't print out their games and makes the pieces themselves today is a combination of laziness and consumerist culture. People like buying things, almost everything in our culture is designed to facilitate that. People get pleasure just from spending money, how many posters in this very thread have put up pictures of stacks of unopened games they have purchased (still in shrink wrap)?

3D Printing might take over the Warhammer crowd, they are already taking time to paint their minis, but I doubt it will take over boardgaming. Even with a 3D printer, assembling all the components/cards/boxart/etc of a game takes a non-zero amount of time, which most people won't bother with.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Oldstench posted:

Can't wait!

"Hey I got this new game! Let's pop it open."

"Cool. You read the rules. I'll print the board graphics, run to Michaels and get some mat boards and spray adhesive, and then build the board!"

"Jeff, can you feed these meeple files into the CNC and and then sand and paint them?"

"Sure thing!"

This is dumb, in this situation they'd print out the bits before game night.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 6, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Oldstench posted:

Can't wait!

"Hey I got this new game! Let's pop it open."

"Cool. You read the rules. I'll print the board graphics, run to Michaels and get some mat boards and spray adhesive, and then build the board!"

"Jeff, can you feed these meeple files into the CNC and and then sand and paint them?"

"Sure thing!"

Do you know what 3d printing is?

it doesn't need mat board, spray adhesive, CNCs, or sanding

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Echophonic posted:

WHAT!? Son of a BITCH.

You are absolutely correct that we didn't do that right. I wasted so much time trying to mitigate that.

Very commonly missed rule, makes the game a lot more balanced. Still not well balanced, but certainly possible to win by anything other than military at that point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you know what 3d printing is?

it doesn't need mat board, spray adhesive, CNCs, or sanding

:ssh: You can't 3D print cards and game boards with art on them

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are seriously recommending this...

seriously?

Some people can make good games but just have no artistic ability of any description. I dunno, there's something about programmer art I find vaguely charming but I still don't know if I want to drop money on the game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

3D printing, schmee-dee printing, where's my cheap high-quality home cardboard-counter printing+die-cutting solution?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No real nerd values 3D

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Apologies if my hyperbole made you upset. Feel free to 3d print all the dickbutts you can possibly deal with. Actually, I'd probably be willing to play Descent if all the characters and monsters were dickbutts.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Some people can make good games but just have no artistic ability of any description. I dunno, there's something about programmer art I find vaguely charming but I still don't know if I want to drop money on the game.

Same. I saw it was out on PC but for :10bux:, which seems like a hard sell. Unfortunately it's not out for Android and I don't have an iOS device, I would probably impulse buy it for 2.99.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ojetor posted:

Same. I saw it was out on PC but for :10bux:, which seems like a hard sell.

Yeah that's bullshit. gently caress the trend of just releasing your iOS game on Steam with no changes and then suddenly feeling like it's ok to charge loving triple for it just because it's on PC.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You guys need some standards.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys need some standards.

your red text avatar is pretty appropriate, go figure

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, Dream Quest is some fine art.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, Dream Quest is some fine art.

The art's definitely poo poo, but funnily enough games can be good in spite of terrible artwork. I mean, Dream Quest could be turgid piss for all I know but it's weird to be insistent on getting other people to dismiss the game instantly because of programmer art. Dismiss it all you like but trying to convince others to do the same is kinda odd. gently caress, I'm tempted to impulse buy it and enjoy it now to spite you.

i'm going to have fun and you can't stop me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You're taking my mocking the bad art way too seriously. It's laughably bad, and so I'm laughing at it. Enjoy it all you want.

I know games can be good despite bad art, just look at Tragedy Looper.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rutibex posted:

3D Printing might take over the Warhammer crowd

This is very unlikely. You can't 3D print talking to your minis, riding an imaginary horse around the table, or having a staredown with your opponent.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Apologies if my hyperbole made you upset. Feel free to 3d print all the dickbutts you can possibly deal with. Actually, I'd probably be willing to play Descent if all the characters and monsters were dickbutts.

I'll post my kickstarter for this shortly

Edit: the butt portion will also have nipples so they resemble breasts, I really want to tap my market to the fullest here

Hauki fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 6, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I got the magic hero scape game today, who wants to touch me. Tom Vasel and Sam Healy avatars want to get in on this?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

You're taking my mocking the bad art way too seriously. It's laughably bad, and so I'm laughing at it. Enjoy it all you want.

I know games can be good despite bad art, just look at Tragedy Looper.

Nice try novice, but don't mess with the maestro

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I got the magic hero scape game today, who wants to touch me. Tom Vasel and Sam Healy avatars want to get in on this?

If it doesn't come with a mountain of plastic terrain tiles, it ain't heroscape :colbert:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I had a game night recently and a friend brought 'camp grizzly' along and it's loving amazing, I love it and bought it. (we super lost!) Also, Jupiter Rescue which again, was hard and we died. Not sure if I want to buy that one though but it did seem fun.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Board Game Thread 4e: Actually, I'd probably be willing to play Descent if all the characters and monsters were dickbutts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is it actually a game or just the shell of a design waiting on tons of expansions to (milk) flesh the game out? The box looks pretty barren, and the terrain looks weak as hell compared to Hero Scape.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So it's basically Heroscape with a MtG shell?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Crackbone posted:

I don't think they've been particularly coy about that being the case since it's announcement, or at least that the engine was heavily inspired by HeroScape. I haven't seen final rules / verdict on it though, so it may be different enough outside the terrain's tile style. Hopefully fozzy will offer a nice write up once he has a chance to try it out!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I am going to wait to see how the expansions pan out, but I'm excited for it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everyone is wondering if they'll be blind packs or not. I'm just curious if the game is any good.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Crackbone posted:

Yes (this is what one of the developers flat out told me when inviting me to play test)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Heroscape, and this Magic game look cool in theory, but I bet it's so much of a pain to set up that it's not worth playing very often (unless you have a dedicated table for the terrain).

Bottom Liner posted:

Everyone is wondering if they'll be blind packs or not.

It's Wizards of the Coast, I don't think the idea of having non-random packs even entered their minds.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rutibex posted:

Heroscape, and this Magic game look cool in theory, but I bet it's so much of a pain to set up that it's not worth playing very often (unless you have a dedicated table for the terrain).
It is. Setting up even a simple map can take 30-45 minutes. Better hope you're going to play a few times.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Bottom Liner posted:

Everyone is wondering if they'll be blind packs or not. I'm just curious if the game is any good.

.... oh, gently caress. I didn't even think of that.

If it's random I'm not picking it up, I dont have the time/money for that kind of game anymore.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
Does anyone happen to have recommendations for pluck foam? I'm trying to find some that's about 2 inches deep so I can put two layers in one of the artist boxes. The dimensions are 16 1/2" x 13." It doesn't have to fit perfect or anything, I'm just having a hard time finding anything even close online. I'm in the US as well.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

It's Wizards of the Coast, I don't think the idea of having non-random packs even entered their minds.

It's not Wizards, it's Hasbro with one WotC guy there to double check any flavor they write.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I played through the Pathfinder card game with a friend, and it took a while to learn everything, I think I understand how to play with some caveats to some situations. Ideally: it seems when you encounter a henchman or have the chance to close a location, you need to close it asap and not dawdle, otherwise you run the risk of not being able to close it later and run out of blessings.

Regardless, we were both interested in playing it again, but with more people.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So my fiancée is significantly better than me at euro games. Every game we play, she destroys me. I enjoy playing them still, but I want to be at least a challenge. Is there a certain mindset or way of thinking that helps people become better, do I practice a bunch, or am I just hosed and have to accept she's just better at them than me? The games in particular I'm thinking of are ticket to ride, lords of waterdeep, and race for the Galaxy, which are three of our favorites.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Have you spent any time reading strategy for those games or others? TTR and LoW aren't particularly deep games as far as I'm aware so you should be able to find enough resources on them.

Edit: e.g.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread%2F142743

Memorise the routes, learn where the efficient routes and chokepoints are, control the pace of the game. Almost all Euros are primarily about resource efficiency so learning how to maximise that in one game will help you in others.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
In TTR - try to get high value tickets that travel across the country east to west. New York to LA is the standard, spend your first turn or two drawing tickets until you can get a few decent cards like this. Ditch the middle of the country North-South low value tickets if you can; ideally you want to be in contention for longest route as well. Plan a route that uses a lot of high-value (5 and 6 car) length tracks. Place your shorter tracks first so that it's harder for your opponent to block you; have an alternate path in mind in case they do anyway. If it's clear your opponent needs to go a certain way, consider laying down a 1 or 2 car track in the way to delay them. Early on, draw mostly facedown cards - it's likely you'll find use for every color anyway, and odds are you'll hit some locomotives. Count how many cars you need to finish all your tickets and consider taking more routes if you'll still have a bunch leftover. Keep track of how many cards you need to place enough cars to trigger the endgame, and if you are placing more efficiently (longer tracks) than your opponent, consider rushing the end so they are left with incomplete routes.

In RftG - Go military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

In RftG - Go military.

Don't do this without a really good reason in the base game, military is relatively weak.