Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Better not be using a damage meter because the devs know they know how to play their class they made. Git Gud

I did leave my damage meter on while doing experts with a machnist, their damage wasn't too far behind mine as a blm. I also failed to look at their gear in comparison to mine so this whole comment could be pointless.

Mch damage also is really bursty (+Their AOE isn't awful) so in dungeons it can be really hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fancy Corndog posted:

I wonder if they're keeping track of crossbar space. I mean, if they want controllers to continue to be a way to play the game they kind of need to put a ceiling on the number of unique abilities available.

I guess they could start adding traits that revamp existing skills (even to the point of creating new animations), but idk. Are there any other MMOs that have aimed to be played with a controller like this one?

Depending on how many shared hotbars you have, controllers should have access to more than enough abilities for each class.

You have eight "sets" of hotbars available to you. Each set has sixteen spots to assign actions. By default, four sets are class specific. 16x4 = 64. Is there any class that has even close to 64 specific actions?

e: at lvl 50, my SCH has 28 unique actions

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Kibner posted:

You use nearly 64 combat actions for a single class?

e: 128 actually 16 each for R1 + Y/X/A/B/up/down/left/right

No, the number is 32. ABXYUDLR for L2, R2, L2+R2, R2+L2. 8 buttons times 4 sets.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Opposing Farce posted:

No, the number is 32. ABXYUDLR for L2, R2, L2+R2, R2+L2. 8 buttons times 4 sets.

Each set has sixteen actions RT + Y/X/A/B/up/down/left/right and LT + Y/X/A/B/up/down/left/right. There are four class specific sets by default. 4x16 = 64.

e:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 6, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So which one of you is Taruto Shippuden?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Terra not showing up when we already have Ultros would be a shame.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also Locke insisting he's a thief treasure hunter

My only issue with FF6 cameos is that they'd look like the Amano art, rather than outfits inspired by the (vastly superior and canonically correct) sprite art.

also please don't remind me that I don't have Terra in FFRK, bonus quest plz DeNA

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kibner posted:

Each set has sixteen actions RT + Y/X/A/B/up/down/left/right and LT + Y/X/A/B/up/down/left/right. There are four class specific sets by default. 4x16 = 64.

e:

I cant even comprehend how you play with a controller. I tried it once I couldn't even attack.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Kibner posted:

You have 8 cross hotbars to work with total, and by default three of them are class-specific and five of them are shared (but you can just change that setting). Realistically, though, swapping hotbars on the fly in combat is awkward and I don't like to do it, which is why I keep all of my combat skills on either my first bar, which stays up most of the time, or my second bar, which I can get to by holding both triggers. That gives me 32 slots to work with, which as of Heavensward happens to be exactly enough to hold most classes' combat skills without any room for shared/utility stuff like sprinting, limit break, etc. (That stuff got moved over to a shared hotbar that I can switch to and from by tapping R1.)

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 6, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tenzarin posted:

I cant even comprehend how you play with a controller. I tried it once I couldn't even attack.

It's pretty easy, tbh.

J
Jun 10, 2001

jim truds posted:

Join TPT. The chat is really chill and no one there comes off a mouth breathing barrens idiot. We also have a ton of new players and it is kind of cute when they run into different poo poo in the game for the first time.

Yeah TPT is chill as heck so far and helped me out when I got near the end of haukke manor and my whole party who didn't say a word the entire run just upped and returned back to the beginning and I had no clue what the heck they just did or how to do it. Turns out I wasn't the only one who had that happen.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Anyone have the lv 60 DRG rotation that is goon approved? I keep reading bad information or questionable stuff like it's possible to do geirskogul four times to a training dummy in a minute instead of actual fights. I dunno I'm terrible at this game don't play with me.

Also how do you do proper DRG AoE for packs? I feel stupid single targeting stuff down or mashing FT + RoT.

And how do you do that slick hotbar sliding action in that one gif posted 50 pages ago so I can fix my 32 bazillion buttons in my hotbars.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

It's pretty easy, tbh.

In the same way it's easy to eat a lunch with your arms around your neck. You get used to it, but it's not what normal people do voluntarily. :v:

But really, I have a gamepad and I tried really hard to play this game with it, because having an MMO I could play from my couch would be pretty rad, and the most I can manage is fishing and playing sub-15 characters. I'm amazed by people who manage to do actual content with it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ghostinmyshell posted:

Anyone have the lv 60 DRG rotation that is goon approved? I keep reading bad information or questionable stuff like it's possible to do geirskogul four times to a training dummy in a minute instead of actual fights. I dunno I'm terrible at this game don't play with me.

Also how do you do proper DRG AoE for packs? I feel stupid single targeting stuff down or mashing FT + RoT.

And how do you do that slick hotbar sliding action in that one gif posted 50 pages ago so I can fix my 32 bazillion buttons in my hotbars.

I dunno about goon-approved, but I've found that Geirskogul is difficult to use even three times per BotD cooldown in a real fight--You don't often get the "free" Geirskogul right before refreshing BotD because you have to save it for when the boss jumps. Even in something like T8 I would likely hold off on using Geirskogul unless I have 24+ seconds of BotD--22 seconds is the bare minimum, but it's really tight and you can miss it even on a training dummy if you get a lag spike or something.

If you're asking for something more fundamental, the rotation of GCDs is now HT->Chaos Thrust->4th->Phlebotomize->Full Thrust->4th->repeat, much simpler than before. This clips Chaos thrust but it's better than letting it fall off. If BotD is down for whatever reason, slide back into the old rotation with two Full thrusts for every Chaos Thrust, which clips Phlebotomize, but again it's better than letting it fall off.

The AoE rotation is just Heavy Thrust->Ring of Thorns->spam Doom Spike. Treat Geirskogul as a 60-second cooldown by just using BotD and immediately losing it. Though, in many pulls it makes sense not to pop BotD like that so you have it ready for the next, non-AoE pull.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno about goon-approved, but I've found that Geirskogul is difficult to use even three times per BotD cooldown in a real fight--You don't often get the "free" Geirskogul right before refreshing BotD because you have to save it for when the boss jumps. Even in something like T8 I would likely hold off on using Geirskogul unless I have 24+ seconds of BotD--22 seconds is the bare minimum, but it's really tight and you can miss it even on a training dummy if you get a lag spike or something.

If you're asking for something more fundamental, the rotation of GCDs is now HT->Chaos Thrust->4th->Phlebotomize->Full Thrust->4th->repeat, much simpler than before. This clips Chaos thrust but it's better than letting it fall off. If BotD is down for whatever reason, slide back into the old rotation with two Full thrusts for every Chaos Thrust, which clips Phlebotomize, but again it's better than letting it fall off.

The AoE rotation is just Heavy Thrust->Ring of Thorns->spam Doom Spike. Treat Geirskogul as a 60-second cooldown by just using BotD and immediately losing it. Though, in many pulls it makes sense not to pop BotD like that so you have it ready for the next, non-AoE pull.

Everything in this post is correct.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Truga posted:

In the same way it's easy to eat a lunch with your arms around your neck. You get used to it, but it's not what normal people do voluntarily. :v:

But really, I have a gamepad and I tried really hard to play this game with it, because having an MMO I could play from my couch would be pretty rad, and the most I can manage is fishing and playing sub-15 characters. I'm amazed by people who manage to do actual content with it.

It's honestly just muscle memory. I prefer it to the keyboard because once you have a setup that works for you and know where all of your skills are you have instant access to everything you need in a much more compact space than you get with a keyboard, and for me at least it's a lot more intuitive than some kind of ridiculous 36-button mouse would be. Also I like the character/camera movement better with the sticks.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 6, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Truga posted:

If only there was a time machine to go back to Titan normal queues near release when half the group had controllers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I find it easier to move around on a controller, by a ton. I've also always had problems hitting the right keys on a keyboard (even easy ones like 3 vs 4 I'll screw up), but I have no such problems with a controller.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

If only there was a time machine to go back to Titan normal queues near release when half the group had controllers.

Titan normal is just moving around and using your 2 dps skills, I can do that fine.

cheetah7071 posted:

I find it easier to move around on a controller, by a ton. I've also always had problems hitting the right keys on a keyboard (even easy ones like 3 vs 4 I'll screw up), but I have no such problems with a controller.

Yeah, this is me, but vice versa.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

The controller implementation for this game is semi-miraculous and has spoiled me so bad I can't even play it with kbd+mouse. And I've been playing MMOs that way since EQ1's launch day.

It isn't perfect, and I'll still sometimes turn off Fists of Fire instead of activating Internal Release because I hit the triggers too fast and called up the wrong alt bar, but once you are familiar with where your skills are at it just sort of works. The only real lovely part is trying to quickly choose a specific target in a giant pile of monsters while I'm tanking, since scrolling through agro lists with a dpad mid-fight will never be not clunky.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hotbar talk: :stare:

I'll just keep using my Razer Naga and modifiers...

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

anyone know what ilevel we're going to need for the next bump? Like am I okay at 160 or should I push it to the end?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pksage posted:

My only issue with FF6 cameos is that they'd look like the Amano art, rather than outfits inspired by the (vastly superior and canonically correct) sprite art.

also please don't remind me that I don't have Terra in FFRK, bonus quest plz DeNA

Terra's not really worth using in FFRK until we get her crystal since non-RM characters are going to be pretty badly gimped vs a devotion-equipped Vivi or Golbez (once we get him). :ssh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Algid posted:

.01 seconds/10 points unless things changed in HW.

Of course it's changed since HW, or people would be casting a lot faster. It's .01 seconds for every ~26.5 points over 354 now.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

J posted:

Yeah TPT is chill as heck so far and helped me out when I got near the end of haukke manor and my whole party who didn't say a word the entire run just upped and returned back to the beginning and I had no clue what the heck they just did or how to do it. Turns out I wasn't the only one who had that happen.

Yeah, that happened to me the first time I did Haukke. I also stupidly messed up in the Praetorium when I didn't get a key to the magitek armor because I thought only one person in the group had to do it. Then everyone got in their armor and rode off without me. I usually watch videos of dungeons before hand but that was the one time I didn't.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I hit level 30 on my lancer and the lancer guild quest is asking me to get to level 15 on a marauder to make a dragoon. Is there any reason to level up the regular classes beyond what's required? How does that work exactly?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

So I hit level 30 on my lancer and the lancer guild quest is asking me to get to level 15 on a marauder to make a dragoon. Is there any reason to level up the regular classes beyond what's required? How does that work exactly?

Dragoon is really just a better lancer. You level both at the same time. Job is just a silly distinction on most classes (arcanist actually has 2 specializations).

e: It's quite a bit better lancer though, so you should unlock it preferably before you continue doing other things, except what the guy below said about chocobro.

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 7, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You will eventually want cross class skills, But you don't really need to worry about that for a while.

If you haven't you should unlock your Chocobo before switching to another class to level!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Verisimilidude posted:

Dragoon is a lancer.
You have to have the sub job level 15 to get the advanced ones.
You can use some abilities from other classes, you prob just want mercy stroke from marauder.
You get 100% bonus exp from characters below your highest character level. Is this 100% bonus only if you have a lvl 50 already?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BERGfu posted:

anyone know what ilevel we're going to need for the next bump? Like am I okay at 160 or should I push it to the end?

Are you planning on doing Alex or not

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Just cross class skills. Marauder gets mercy stroke which is some extra free damage once in a while on an enemy that's at <20% hp. Dragoon gets skills from marauder and pugilist but leveling pugilist isn't required (but getting it to lv12 gives you Internal Release which is a decent dps cooldown)

e: slowpostin'

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are you planning on doing Alex or not

I'm planning on it but I was part of the pre expansion newbie rush so I am kind of limited on how I can get law tomes

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

BERGfu posted:

I'm planning on it but I was part of the pre expansion newbie rush so I am kind of limited on how I can get law tomes

Tomes come very quickly. Once you can start doing the rank 3 hunt marks from the clan board daily do those too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BERGfu posted:

You're going to probably want full 170 minimum for alex. I'm assuming anyways.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

cool thanks

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

Yeah, it's a wow clone alright. I hope they work on that in the future, there's really a couple things they could pull out and nobody would notice (hi ruin 1 since broil, just put that kind of poo poo behind traits goddamn).

Of course, my MX518 is dying (or rather, the cable is giving out, *again*, the mouse is still working just fine), so I ordered a G600 for the extra buttons, which should cover me for the next expansion or two. :v:

:( :respek: :(

I found the G502 to be a good replacement, even though I don't use any of the extra buttons beyond what the 518 had. I am now pretty attached to the tilt-wheel and infiniscroller, though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What's a server that isn't population-locked that a new player might start on with a decent goon presence? Not sure I have the patience to wait for Excalibur.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Devor posted:

What's a server that isn't population-locked that a new player might start on with a decent goon presence? Not sure I have the patience to wait for Excalibur.

Goblin has a goon population of 1.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Summoner AoE again, after the first dotted Bane and Painflare should I wait until Bio II is about to expire before putting up a new set and using Bane again, delaying use of Dreadwyrm Trance? Or should I put up a new set of DoTs (clipping) and Bane as soon as possible?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Hi guys, I decided to start reading this thread again. What bad opinions have people developed while I was away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Someone hoped you'd post more.

• Locked thread