Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

Soooooo, I have a few questions regarding wich armor should I use since I have the Alva set upgraded to +5 and farmed to get the Elite Knight to +5 aswell. After some farming, got the full Alonne Knight set wich from what I see, looks really nice when it comes to physical damage but nothing great against magic and is slightly heavier than the Elite Knight one.

Right now I'm after Iron Keep and going to head to Shaded woods and I'm wondering what set should I stick upgrading. I mainly go with 1h+shield or "powerstance" two normal weapons like the bandit axe, battle axe, morning star and longsword. I have a claymore and bastard sword but looking at the overall faster combat in DS2, not even the Zwei can cut it. I rather have faster weapons and powerstance two of them than going with a huge rear end sword (I can't stand the greatsword).

I love the bandit axe (have a dark damage one) with a fire battle axe and they own bones and the damage from the morning star is awesome with that bleed damage added but should I focus on these weapons? Atm I have them all between +4 and +6 but I'm kind of confused if I should just use normal versions or infused with elemental damage. In DS1 was simpler since I mostly used a claymore then a lighting halberd for like 90% of the game.

Wear armor that looks good. Don't upgrade your armor until you've found an armorset that you're comfortable with and have fully upgraded your weapons.

The axe moveset is really good and fun, but I'd advise against infusing it unless you have a good reason to (ie., your primary scaling stat is elemental.) Generally all infusing it will do is give it a split damage type and reduce its effectiveness. As for what weapons to focus on, find something that you enjoy using and just run with it. There are very few weapons that are outright bad, and it's generally pretty obvious why when you run into one.

Just as an aside, for my Scholar run (which I technically haven't finished yet, I still need to grind through the DLC areas) I wound up picking up the Greatsword, which I absolutely love. It's really slow so you absolutely need to account for that, but it hits so loving hard, it's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Soooooo, I have a few questions regarding wich armor should I use since I have the Alva set upgraded to +5 and farmed to get the Elite Knight to +5 aswell. After some farming, got the full Alonne Knight set wich from what I see, looks really nice when it comes to physical damage but nothing great against magic and is slightly heavier than the Elite Knight one.

Right now I'm after Iron Keep and going to head to Shaded woods and I'm wondering what set should I stick upgrading. I mainly go with 1h+shield or "powerstance" two normal weapons like the bandit axe, battle axe, morning star and longsword. I have a claymore and bastard sword but looking at the overall faster combat in DS2, not even the Zwei can cut it. I rather have faster weapons and powerstance two of them than going with a huge rear end sword (I can't stand the greatsword).

I love the bandit axe (have a dark damage one) with a fire battle axe and they own bones and the damage from the morning star is awesome with that bleed damage added but should I focus on these weapons? Atm I have them all between +4 and +6 but I'm kind of confused if I should just use normal versions or infused with elemental damage. In DS1 was simpler since I mostly used a claymore then a lighting halberd for like 90% of the game.

In terms of armor, the formulas are like 5 Phys. Defense = -1 damage, and 10 Elemental Defense = -1% damage. That means that you should stack physical defense, but have Quartz + Dispelling rings on hand (maybe Flash Sweat and Magic Barrier if you can use them) to tank elemental damage as needed. Elemental defense caps out at 890 (you have 100 inherent defense against all elements) for 99% damage reduction. Of course though, looking good is what REALLY matters. Just find a set that looks good, while being mindful of weight, and wear that.

Elemental weapons are usually worse than physical ones. Even if it has a higher listed attack rating, the damage is split and has to go through two defenses, and since elemental defense is percentage based, elemental damage is not particularly valuable. You generally want to make a character that uses physical OR one specific element, and finding a weapon pre-infused and upgrading that to Magic/Fire/Lightning/Dark, like the Heide Spear or Roaring Halberd. Dark Souls is a series where you never want to be wishy-washy, and DS2 has mechanics that encourage specialization even more. Find your favorite equipment and stats, and just focus on those.

You should post a screenshot of your character sheet and loadout for critique if you want real help.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few palestones to revert the infusions so I'll use them.

What's the to-go site to post builds and items? So I can post later when I'm at home my setup.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

If you do the Dark ending, are you locked out of The Heir achievement for that playthrough?

No. I did that yesterday and got the trophy.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few palestones to revert the infusions so I'll use them.

What's the to-go site to post builds and items? So I can post later when I'm at home my setup.

Here, probably. We've got lots of resident experts on all the games in the series. Hell, I could probably give you all the setups you'd need alone.

Stargate posted:

No. I did that yesterday and got the trophy.

Alright, sweet. This game takes goddamn forever, especially with all the DLCs, so I haven't actually had a chance to finish it since the Dark ending became a thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Here, probably. We've got lots of resident experts on all the games in the series. Hell, I could probably give you all the setups you'd need alone.

Sorry I meant a good talent calculator (ala MMO ones and so) wich is SoTFS updated because some items changed like the stat bonuses on the Zwei. I didn't explain myself correctly.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Sorry I meant a good talent calculator (ala MMO ones and so) wich is SoTFS updated because some items changed like the stat bonuses on the Zwei. I didn't explain myself correctly.

Ah, this site has basically all the stats and information you'll ever need. Just plug whatever in there and you'll know how everything will fall.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I haven't finished SOTFS yet and I didn't even know there's a Dark ending now. :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

I haven't finished SOTFS yet and I didn't even know there's a Dark ending now. :v:

Yeah, the whole point of the Scholar update was to add the missing plot to the second half of the game. DS2 leaves such a sour taste in my mouth because even with all the updates and addons, it's still clearly unfinished and unpolished. If only their development time didn't get all hosed up :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is pretty funny when you try to use a new bonfire and it literally explodes with exposition

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

It is pretty funny when you try to use a new bonfire and it literally explodes with exposition

I jumped out of my skin the first time that happened.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stargate posted:

I jumped out of my skin the first time that happened.

I ran away and stood at a safe distance for about 5 minutes trying to figure out if it was a boss or not. Then I plinked it with some arrows and nothing happened so I bravely ventured forth.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I remember seeing it in a trailer (I think?) so I knew it was gonna pop up somewhere but it still startled me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

First time I saw it was after the Old Iron King at the primal bonfire. I hadn't found the key to the DLC area yet so I just assumed that it was one of those statue things from the DLC.

I still haven't started the DLC stuff but I really should since the last thing I did was kill the Giant Lord.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ok, I'm at home and this is my guy after a lot of soul farming (I usually have the Covetous Silver ring +1 to get more souls and unequip stuff to be lighter).

Note that on the rings, I have the +1 versions and looks like the calculator thinks I'm using the +2 so I have slightly less hp and sta recovery.

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/20219

I have the following stuff as alternative for that:
-Alva set
-Alonne Knight set
-Dark Leather + bandit mask set
-Claymore and Bastard sword
-Zweihander and Greatsword
-Large club
-Stone ring
-Ring of Giants
-Ring of the Evil eye +1
-Old Leo Ring
-Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
-Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +1
-Silvercat ring
-Redeye ring.

I think that's it.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

There was a lot of really good discussion about Miracles and Hexes recently, but not a lot of discussion about Sorceries. What are the "elite" Sorceries for PvP and/or PvE? What are the ideal weapons other than Blue Flame?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Blue flame isn't an ideal weapon. It can't buff itself which negates a lot of the reason to use sorcery to begin with. It's a decent enough sword and catalyst though. Also, counter-intuitively, infusing it with Raw is strictly better than infusing it with Magic (as in all of the Raw scalings are superior to Magic scalings).

In PvE you can stock up on Soul Spears and wreck a bunch of poo poo that way, though they're only going to be really useful in the mid to end game. Soul Spears are not very useful in PvP because they're really easy to dodge unless there's a shitload of lag. You can use Homing Crystal Soulmass to be an rear end in a top hat I guess? but again the strategy for dodging that is fairly reliable.

I mostly use heavy homing soul arrows. Not so much to actually do damage (although the timing will nail somebody reaction-dodging them in a way that regular soul arrows or soul spears won't) but to put pressure on somebody trying to put distance between me and them, e.g. because they overcommitted to an attack and need to recover stamina.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are only two Soul Spear items in the game from what I remember, and they only get two casts at base attunement. You can't really stock up on casts of that.

Also irritating is that there's only one way to get Crystal Souls Spear (which also only has two casts), and it requires killing Freja in NG+ or burning an ascetic. Her NG+ soul can also be used for the Moonlight Greatsword, so magic users have to fight Freja three times to get everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For pvp Soul Shower does a lot of poise damage now and staggers the enemy a good bit (or did, don't know if they nerfed it back down, wouldn't be surprised) and can be handy if you're trying to land something that isn't soul spear now (too slow of a windup now). Soul Greatsword can work too. I also got surprising mileage out of the homing soulmass/pursuer spells when combined with Chameleon. No one expects the Battle Barrel! Not a lot really works in pvp though. Sorceries are mostly trivial to dodge when it isn't lagging. I've never really tried Soul Flash or Focus Souls though so can't speak on the dlc sorceries.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Soul Flash is sorta good as a last ditch "oh poo poo he's on top of me" thing, sort of. Focus Souls just sucks though, which is a shame because it looks cool as hell.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Soul greatsword is cool because it can clip around corners and through walls/doors.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gologle posted:

Soul Flash is sorta good as a last ditch "oh poo poo he's on top of me" thing, sort of. Focus Souls just sucks though, which is a shame because it looks cool as hell.

It can be quite good in PvP as a follow-up if you land a backstab. I've one-two slain some people using that combo

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Any of the boss soul weapons worth a gently caress if I'm doing a two-handed blunt/miracles/hex build? A shield-less paladin, kinda. Right now I'm 2H a Mace with a Chime equipped in the other hand to break out when necessary. I'm trying to keep my SM down so I'm looking to see what boss weapons might be worth picking up.

I'm mainly putting souls into STR/FTH/INT/ADP/ATN, probably to softcap on each with more if necessary.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheHoosier posted:

Any of the boss soul weapons worth a gently caress if I'm doing a two-handed blunt/miracles/hex build? A shield-less paladin, kinda. Right now I'm 2H a Mace with a Chime equipped in the other hand to break out when necessary. I'm trying to keep my SM down so I'm looking to see what boss weapons might be worth picking up.

I'm mainly putting souls into STR/FTH/INT/ADP/ATN, probably to softcap on each with more if necessary.

If you're willing to get 12 dexterity the Roaring Halberd is really fun to use, though it's not blunt. Sacred Chime Hammer would fit too, but I've never used it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheHoosier posted:

The Crypt Blacksword and Roaring Halberd are both incredibly hard-hitting for hex builds. The Blacksword pretty much has a greathammer moveset despite techiically being a sword. Although getting it is pretty obtuse: you have to use an ascetic on The Rotten and you'll get a new soul in addition to the normal Soul of the Rotten.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
All four of the "great soul" enemies are like that to be clear. On bonfire intensity 2 they have a second unique soul to give up.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So like what weapons do you guys use? Every time I play the game I ended up going back to greatsword + shield.

I'd say the T1 greatswords are Mirrah and Throne Defender.
the T2 greatswords are Claymore and Throne Watcher.

I've tried rapier, but I don't really like it because of the shorter range and lower damage per hit. Spears seem kind of boring because it's just thrust attacks, although I haven't tested all of them. I've also tried halberds, but they're more hassle than they're worth. I wish there were two uchigatanas per play through.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I also love greatswords. Straight swords are just about as good. I hate PvP and am awful at it, but my impression is straight swords have the advantage against other players while great swords a little better against monsters. Every kind of sword is really good. The only ones I haven't used much are katanas, but a lot of people seem to recognize them as the best weapon category by design.

You can try the spear, silverblack spear of partizan for a more versatile spear moveset. The Syan halberd is also a nice, versatile halberd.

Caesti are lots of fun and worth a play through by themselves. Match them with a big weapon with large, sweeping attacks to make up for their weaknesses. I went with an curved greatsword, which was also really cool.

Even if you don't like the rapier, try it matched with a curved sword in your off hand. It makes up for all the weaknesses of the rapier itself, since the L1's stack up damage really fast and give both horizontal and vertical coverage that you can't get with the rapier.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm actually enjoying the poo poo out of smaller weapons in this game (well, smaller as in straight swords, axes and that stuff) instead of greatswords, ultras or big rear end clubs. My actual setup is Bandit axe + Red Rust Scimitar on off-hand (the one from Vengarl's head after beating his body), is loving awesome, the Scimitar has great and fast strikes hard to dodge and a parry animation while the Bandit Axe has to be my favourite weapon in DS2 so far. The Varangian sword also owns and is very usable both 1h+shield or with another weapon to create a really nice moveset.

I ended infusing my claymore with lighting because I reached Duke's Dear Freya and had no elemental weapons (well, the old rear end fire longsword) and I had the NPCs taking it so I could just 2h the thing and smash freely most of the time.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Totally missed the Executioner's Chariot on my first NG, so I figured I'd pay him a visit on my 2H/Miracle/Hex NG character. It's kinda hilarious to watch the skellies get Mesala'd over and over again.

Don't give up, skeleton!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it normal to be this hilariously bad at speccing characters, leveling weapons, finding areas and finding items? So many things to miss. Its pretty hard to tell what will still be useful in the later parts of games.

I feel a pang of guilt every time I have to consult the wiki.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Wow those DLC bosses. 5-10 minutes of perfect dodging while slowly and tediously plinking away at a giant health bar is not a good time. I hope DS3 does not follow suit.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avocados posted:

Is it normal to be this hilariously bad at speccing characters, leveling weapons, finding areas and finding items? So many things to miss. Its pretty hard to tell what will still be useful in the later parts of games.

that's the newbie dark souls experience!

just do an entire run without guides, just go by messages on the ground and put a summoning sign when you enter a new area so you can be called and see the dungeon in a safe way.

after you do your first run then look at a guide and be amazed at all the poo poo you missed and be amazed.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Rapiers are pretty one of the best weapon classes in the game. You can win a fair amount of pvp matches just by putting on the Leo ring+ring of blades+any kind of buff and countering peoples attacks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Avocados posted:

I took a look at my very first Dark Souls II character that I made, completely blind, and got through almost all of the game with. I never leveled up Endurance.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mans posted:

that's the newbie dark souls experience!

just do an entire run without guides, just go by messages on the ground and put a summoning sign when you enter a new area so you can be called and see the dungeon in a safe way.

after you do your first run then look at a guide and be amazed at all the poo poo you missed and be amazed.

I'm on my third playthrough and still finding poo poo I didn't see before. It's insane but it does keep things fresh.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm really not sure at this point if my cleric build is gimped. I sorta built everything around lightning like in DS1 but these things are better off as incidental arrows for far off targets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Miracles used to be amazing and then most offensive miracles were nerfed into the ground to the point of uselessness. From way overcompensated on "balancing" them and have never bothered to make them more worthwhile since then.

You can still make use of lightning-infused weapons though, and some of the best weapons in the game are ones with very low status requirements so you're not ruined or anything. You just might want to put your levelups into different stats, since around the time the DLCs came out it became very clear that from only wants you to play this game a single way.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
So, I got Scholar of the First Sin only a little while ago, having loved Dark Souls 1.

Having played Dark Souls 1 on PC, I immediately checked if there was a dsfix available. Turns out there was, ds2fix64. Since the original was pretty much mandatory, I downloaded it and put it in my folder like I was asked.

Was playing away happily, but noticed that it was very hard to summon/get summoned. Eventually got summoned by someone, did some jolly co-op. Later the guy messages me, asks me if I'd been banned, since apparently he thought he'd been 'softbanned' for using a cheat engine. Wasn't sure what that was about.

In the meantime I've looked this up, and apparently you can get softbanned for using any mods, even ds2fix64 (which, if I understand right, is only there to stop other peoples' hacked items from crashing your game).

Admittedly, I can't be SURE I've been softbanned - but juding from the lack of summon signs/invasions and the fact that the guy that messaged me said he'd been using a cheat engine, it's not looking good. I've emailed Namco Bandai to confirm.

I specifically waited for Scholar of the First Sin before buying and playing - I'm feeling an immense sense of disappointment right now. Am I just up poo poo creek without a paddle because I played a game without reading every forum/reddit/whatever post about it beforehand and discovering a utilitarian bugfix mod would get me banned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Soul Reaver posted:

So, I got Scholar of the First Sin only a little while ago, having loved Dark Souls 1.

Having played Dark Souls 1 on PC, I immediately checked if there was a dsfix available. Turns out there was, ds2fix64. Since the original was pretty much mandatory, I downloaded it and put it in my folder like I was asked.

Was playing away happily, but noticed that it was very hard to summon/get summoned. Eventually got summoned by someone, did some jolly co-op. Later the guy messages me, asks me if I'd been banned, since apparently he thought he'd been 'softbanned' for using a cheat engine. Wasn't sure what that was about.

In the meantime I've looked this up, and apparently you can get softbanned for using any mods, even ds2fix64 (which, if I understand right, is only there to stop other peoples' hacked items from crashing your game).

Admittedly, I can't be SURE I've been softbanned - but juding from the lack of summon signs/invasions and the fact that the guy that messaged me said he'd been using a cheat engine, it's not looking good. I've emailed Namco Bandai to confirm.

I specifically waited for Scholar of the First Sin before buying and playing - I'm feeling an immense sense of disappointment right now. Am I just up poo poo creek without a paddle because I played a game without reading every forum/reddit/whatever post about it beforehand and discovering a utilitarian bugfix mod would get me banned?

Are you within the window to steam refund it?