Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hadaka Apron posted:

I'm sure that plenty of them were inappropriate, but I doubt that all of them were inappropriate. Sometimes you need a scalpel instead of a bludgeon.

If there were 20,000 posts like you say there were, and many if not most of them were inappropriate, I don't blame the mods for not caring enough to spend all day separating the good from the bad. Why was it so necessary to keep the posts? Were you storing all of your life's work in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

circ dick soleil posted:

There can't possibly be 20,000 abusive or illegal posts on the internet, right?

You make jokes but the loss of 20,000 reddit posts is basically akin to the destruction of the library of Alexandria. However will we reach the stars without u/goku1488 notifying us that a woman is an ugly slut

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I don't think Zoe Quinn literally slept with all of reddit's/neogaf's/whereever's mods to get the posts deleted, I think the mods were cut from the same cloth as her and like many of the journos decided to circle the wagons when they saw what they perceived to be "one of their own under attack". This, ironically, only made things worse as it created the image of a vast conspiracy rather than a bunch of morons making the same bad decision more or less independently.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can we all agree that Anita Sarkessan is detrimental to both sides of the equation. She provides an insanely strong strawman for the opposition (not saying that makes their argument good, its inherently a strawman) but she also actively weakens the strength of her own side by being so wildly ill-informed and emotion-bating.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Droid posted:

I don't think Zoe Quinn literally slept with all of reddit's mods to get the posts deleted, I think the mods were cut from the same cloth as her and like many of the journos decided to circle the wagons when they saw what they perceived to be "one of their own under attack". This, ironically, only made things worse as it created the image of a vast conspiracy rather than a bunch of morons making the same bad decision more or less independently.

Again, it's not about the truth, it's the perception of truth.

It seems that a campaign so devoted to ethics would want to clearly delineate the two. As far as I'm aware no attempt has been made to do so by anyone on this crusade.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hadaka Apron posted:

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that their heavy-handed actions made it look like she held enormous influence.

How is that her fault?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

The Droid posted:

I don't think Zoe Quinn literally slept with all of reddit's/neogaf's/whereever's mods to get the posts deleted, I think the mods were cut from the same cloth as her and like many of the journos decided to circle the wagons when they saw what they perceived to be "one of their own under attack". This, ironically, only made things worse as it created the image of a vast conspiracy rather than a bunch of morons making the same bad decision more or less independently.

This. My objection to those heavy-handed tactics are that they didn't work, and similar tactics have failed horribly in the past.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
This seems to be a pretty good blog about SJWs and their history on the internet, seems well sourced too: http://sjwar.blogspot.ru/

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hadaka Apron posted:

This. My objection to those heavy-handed tactics are that they didn't work, and similar tactics have failed horribly in the past.

You still haven't adequately explained how Zoe is responsible for this, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

In my opinion the spark that started the flame was the doublestandard in how Eron airing dirty laundry about their relationships was handled compared to the situations involving max and that other dude with a futurama avatar on twitter that got accused of raping a coworker. What I saw was a lot of people going "man zoe did some awful things to eron" and getting mad about it and their discussions getting censored and shut down. They then took advantage of a few shitlords harassing zoe to paint everyone who said anything negative about her as a misogynist. After the zoe fiasco both max and the futurama guy shared messages and threats they got, the futurama guy said people emailed him details of his kid's school schedules and their address and such, but you never saw gawker and the media tripping over themselves to paint everyone who was upset with the potential rapes as awful death threat sending people.

I think this frustration spread out in a lot of misguided ways and I stopped following gg shortly after it became more of a mainstream thing because it seemed like everyone involved was lovely, but I can empathize with the people who thought the whole situation was unfair at the start.

Dude, you can't even remember who half the supposed parties involved even are, how can we trust you to have an accurate recollection at all?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BexGu posted:

To bring it to ethics in game journalism do you agree/disagree with IGN's Standards of Practices(Not needed, too far, too little, etc)? They came about around October of last year: http://www.ign.com/wikis/ign/Standards_and_Practices Other Pro

I guess I'm not really clear what the point of it is. That is perfectly standard if perhaps a bit too loose in places for my tastes. If that is GG's end goal then they won before they even started, barring exceptions which are literally always going to be the case in any form of journalism. (Fox New exists after all.)

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

In my opinion the spark that started the flame was the doublestandard in how Eron airing dirty laundry about their relationships was handled compared to the situations involving max and that other dude with a futurama avatar on twitter that got accused of raping a coworker.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the situation here can hardly be called a double-standard, considering that between those people (Eron's ex, Max, "that other dude with a futurama avatar on twitter,") only one was subjected to a literal hate mob trying to destroy that person's name and reputation.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

One of the saddest things about this is that Eron appears to sincerely believe that if he manages restate his opinion or clarify it more clearly, presenting the most air-tight evidence imaginable or w/e everything will be fine when at this point it is far, far too late for that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Dude, you can't even remember who half the supposed parties involved even are, how can we trust you to have an accurate recollection at all?

I don't remember one person's name but I do remember screenshots of their tweets, the general context of their tweets, and even the avatar they were using at the time. I've been honest about details i'm muddy on but this isn't one of them and I'm sure someone who's followed the issue from the start knows exactly who I'm talking about.

e: if someone has a link to the original gbs thread I'm sure I could find the tweets if you're really that doubtful, I know they were posted several times.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Ddraig posted:

You still haven't adequately explained how Zoe is responsible for this, though.

Well, she's mentioned on her Twitter how she tried to get the Internet Archive to take down archives of pages where people talked about her:

https://twitter.com/thequinnspiracy/status/501723763851816961

And she was also in contact with a moderator of /r/games:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

The Droid posted:

One of the saddest things about this is that Eron appears to sincerely believe that if he manages restate his opinion or clarify it more clearly, presenting the most air-tight evidence imaginable or w/e everything will be fine when at this point it is far, far too late for that.

How can you still have sympathy with a guy who tried to literally destroy a woman's life because he wasn't mature enough to deal with a break up by siccing an internet hate mob, who went on to dox and harass her? Eron is an utter poo poo and i hope his attempts to repeal his restraining order fail.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Knifegrab posted:

Can we all agree that Anita Sarkessan is detrimental to both sides of the equation. She provides an insanely strong strawman for the opposition (not saying that makes their argument good, its inherently a strawman) but she also actively weakens the strength of her own side by being so wildly ill-informed and emotion-bating.

No, I disagree. I don't think she is misinformed. I do think her analysis is basic, but that has been her intended purpose ever since Fem Freq was stared since she believes that Feminism is for everybody.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't remember one person's name but I do remember screenshots of their tweets, the general context of their tweets, and even the avatar they were using at the time. I've been honest about details i'm muddy on but this isn't one of them and I'm sure someone who's followed the issue from the start knows exactly who I'm talking about.

Well I'm sure when the equivalent of the Bayeux Tapestry of this entire mess is created we can be sure that this knowledge will not be lost to the ages, as it appears to be now.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Useful Distraction posted:

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the situation here can hardly be called a double-standard, considering that between those people (Eron's ex, Max, "that other dude with a futurama avatar on twitter,") only one was subjected to a literal hate mob trying to destroy that person's name and reputation.

http://gawker.com/remember-when-the-cards-against-humanity-guy-was-accuse-1621559973 this was posted up as a followup like a year after the original max scandal. Yeah they are going out of their way to try and harm his career and bring negative attention to his door. The other guy as I said got literal threats concerning his home and family.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Knifegrab posted:

"Who cares about any of this, but can we agree that Anita is a bitch?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

No. Literally the only reason Anita Sarkeesan has any power at all is because of people's response to her. She was doing videos for way way before she started doing video game videos. The only reason she went from "person doing Youtube videos" to a public figure is because people responded in an absurdly disproportionate way.

There are hundreds of people on Youtube who express opinions I disagree with. Many of them express opinions I think are factually inaccurate or hyperbolic. The only reason Anita Sarkeesan matters at all is because her opposition won't shut up about her.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Anita Sarkeesian's arguments are often overly simple, even counterproductively so, but even if they had more nuance, she would still be saying things gamers didn't want to hear about their beloved games, and they would still act like babies and demand her blood.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hadaka Apron posted:

Well, she's mentioned on her Twitter how she tried to get the Internet Archive to take down archives of pages where people talked about her:

I don't think this is evidence of sufficient heft to back any claim at all.

I mean, it doesn't even account for the stuff that was deleted off of 4chan.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Chipp Zanuff posted:

How can you still have sympathy with a guy who tried to literally destroy a woman's life because he wasn't mature enough to deal with a break up by siccing an internet hate mob, who went on to dox and harass her? Eron is an utter poo poo and i hope his attempts to repeal his restraining order fail.

Please show me where Eron said "Get 'em, boys" and leased the hounds of twitter war.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Hadaka Apron posted:

*clutches pearls*

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

The Droid posted:

Please show me where Eron said "Get 'em, boys" and leased the hounds of twitter war.

It's totally just a coincidence that soon after the Zoe Post people started harassing her, it totally had nothing to do with Eron making a private matter personal.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That was the title of the article, people were discussing the article. Is that a problem?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The Droid posted:

He actually specifically said he tried posting it on SA (and the penny arcade forums?) first because he knew we were more against doxxing and letting the internet bleed into the realworld.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Droid posted:

I'm sure that post of him telling people which hotel she'll be staying at was just concern that she may accidentally get lost on her way between penises and forget where she is, and the kindly people on the internet could point her in the right direction like the loving, benevolent overseers they are.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chipp Zanuff posted:

It's totally just a coincidence that soon after the Zoe Post people started harassing her, it totally had nothing to do with Eron making a private matter personal.

Social Justice served imo.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Powercrazy posted:

That was the title of the article

No it wasn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powercrazy posted:

That was the title of the article, people were discussing the article. Is that a problem?

The title of the article was "Gamers are over".

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Chipp Zanuff posted:

First of all "Bad things happened as the result of something, ergo that was its intent" doesn't make sense.

Second of all, don't you mean "A private matter public"?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Why is this only seen as such an evil thing when it happened to zoe? The internet justice brigade has taken tons of villains to task over minimal evidence and normally people are quite in favor of an allegedly bad person getting their dues. Eron at least included chatlogs and actual evidence for his claims.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Hadaka Apron posted:

More like a moderator of games got in contact with her after poo poo was being posted about her? If there was some conspiratorial friendship web they wouldn't need to publicly message each other first.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I'm sure that post of him telling people which hotel she'll be staying

Please cite this post, I do not recall hearing of such a thing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Droid posted:

Much like how a man who places a briefcase with a dossier and $100,000 in cash on the table while sitting with a hired killer but doesn't actually ask him to kill someone isn't an accessory to murder, Eron never literally said "hey go harass this woman" so he isn't responsible because all he did was whip them into a frothing frenzy.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

The Droid posted:

First of all "Bad things happened as the result of something, ergo that was its intent" doesn't make sense.

Second of all, don't you mean "A private matter public"?

So clearly Eron never intended to get back at, to hurt, to inconveniance etc, a woman who recently broken up with and his intentions were pure and just etc etc. Bullshit.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Much like how a man who places a briefcase with a dossier and $100,000 in cash on the table while sitting with a hired killer but doesn't actually ask him to kill someone isn't an accessory to murder, Eron never literally said "hey go harass this woman" so he isn't responsible because all he did was whip them into a frothing frenzy.

By this standards anyone pointing out bad things a public figure is doing is inciting harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Why is this only seen as such an evil thing when it happened to zoe? The internet justice brigade has taken tons of villains to task over minimal evidence and normally people are quite in favor of an allegedly bad person getting their dues. Eron at least included chatlogs and actual evidence for his claims.

Yes this woman is clearly a villain for having sex with someone else other than Eron and thus deserves to be doxxed, have her life scrutinised by a bunch of anonymous fucks and have her name dragged through the mud.

• Locked thread