Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Ddraig posted:

But not acted on. Funny, that.

Don't be obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Frankly it's a bit weird that the GG set feel the need to deploy an intimate knowledge of the sex lives of strangers to make some sort of point. Most movements for ethics in journalism aren't too concerned about that stuff.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Useful Distraction posted:

This doesn't prove that any of that coverage was false (which, in fact, it wasn't). But in all honesty, if you're accusing all major media, including foreign press, of portraying your movement in a false light, I'd strongly suggest that you rethink your position and consider that maybe, just maybe, it is you who is wrong, not the entire rest of the world.
That seems like a really ignorant view of media. It's pretty common to have false stuff spread like wildfire or people with the power/money/connections to change the narrative in their favor. In this case it isn't really that the coverage is false it's just that focused specifically on the negative aspects of gg and ignored the negative aspects of the other side. Very few articles were forthright about the scandal involving zoe in the first place and many dismissed complaints against her as a jilted ex lover thing while completely sweeping the whole abusive aspect under the rug.

I wouldn't really say I'm part of the gg side as I stopped following this issue after it seemed like it was going in circles, I just happened to witness the start of gg and am always floored at how well one side has managed to rewrite history of how it all went down.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

I hate yankees posted:

4chan is a lot bigger than SA and ethics in games journalism has been a thing with them for years.

This is one of the more absurd posts I've read on SA, and your avatar isn't helping.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Dredging up something from earlier, but Mark Kern is such a clown he got fired from a company he named after himself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems like a really ignorant view of media. It's pretty common to have false stuff spread like wildfire or people with the power/money/connections to change the narrative in their favor. In this case it isn't really that the coverage is false it's just that focused specifically on the negative aspects of gg and ignored the negative aspects of the other side. Very few articles were forthright about the scandal involving zoe in the first place and many dismissed complaints against her as a jilted ex lover thing while completely sweeping the whole abusive aspect under the rug.

I wouldn't really say I'm part of the gg side as I stopped following this issue after it seemed like it was going in circles, I just happened to witness the start of gg and am always floored at how well one side has managed to rewrite history of how it all went down.

What sort of person with money/power/connections is going to go to bat for some minor indie game developer with a twitter account?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

It did though, that's literally when it started. If the same communities and blogs that threw max under the bus gave Zoe the same treatment gamergate would have never been a thing. Instead zoe used her connections first to try and censor the issue, and then when that didn't work, to have an organized smear campaign that misrepresented people's grievances and characterized everything as misogynistic in nature.

Yes, I also remember when she became a sociopathic manipulator devil.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

So why are people using the name "Gamergate"?

You're going to sit here and attempt to pick apart anything I'm saying because attrition is the only way you can win an argument around here. Why does it matter why people are using the dumb hashtag? You literally cannot accept the fact that some people used that hashtag for something else besides slut shaming and that purpose is something that has clearly been documented for years.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

What sort of person with money/power/connections is going to go to bat for some minor indie game developer with a twitter account?

In this case i think it was more coincidence than anything, the smaller video game journals and blogs and such that zoe did have connections to had already circled the wagons and went for the "this is all about men in games harassing women' angle and as gender politics are kind of trendy right now it was a message that sold well coupled with fairly lazy journalism where the only investigation is rewriting other journal articles. There were a couple articles that did a more in depth dive to the origins of gamergate and usually they came across far more neutral and less dismissive.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

There is no conspiracy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It didn't take a smear campaign to make Gamergate look misogynistic, it took basic observational skills. There was a time when you couldn't click on the twitter profile of a gater without seeing the "five guys" meme.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

This is one of the more absurd posts I've read on SA, and your avatar isn't helping.

It's true, I'm sorry that's shocking to you. Feel free to google the many videos they've made over the years pertaining to games journalism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I hate yankees posted:

Why does it matter why people are using the dumb hashtag?

Because they could be using any other hashtag.

Using a symbol that has discriminatory history tends to make people think that you support that discriminatory history.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

Very few articles were forthright about the scandal involving zoe in the first place and many dismissed complaints against her as a jilted ex lover thing while completely sweeping the whole abusive aspect under the rug.

...do you think that news articles generally spread ex-lover's allegations as fact? Hey, remember that whole SPJ code of ethics thing that gamergaters are all about?

quote:

Minimize Harm

Ethical journalism treats sources, subjects, colleagues and members of the public as human beings deserving of respect.

Journalists should:

– Balance the public’s need for information against potential harm or discomfort. Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance or undue intrusiveness.

– Show compassion for those who may be affected by news coverage. Use heightened sensitivity when dealing with juveniles, victims of sex crimes, and sources or subjects who are inexperienced or unable to give consent. Consider cultural differences in approach and treatment.

– Recognize that legal access to information differs from an ethical justification to publish or broadcast.

– Realize that private people have a greater right to control information about themselves than public figures and others who seek power, influence or attention. Weigh the consequences of publishing or broadcasting personal information.

– Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity, even if others do.

– Balance a suspect’s right to a fair trial with the public’s right to know. Consider the implications of identifying criminal suspects before they face legal charges.

– Consider the long-term implications of the extended reach and permanence of publication. Provide updated and more complete information as appropriate.

Well gee, I wonder why the nefarious mainstream media didn't spread some nobody's allegations of cheating, and instead went with this absurd harassment "narrative?"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One thing I remembered about GamerGate is one of the more vocal people "leading the charge" is PressFartToContinue, a guy who creeped on Dodger, who runs the PressHeartToContinue YouTube channel, to the point he doxxed her and contacted her parents because he was "worried about" her or something.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s2fjne

The dude also tried to harass TotalBiscuit because TB called him out on it and told him off on a few occassions.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nh2uij

GamerGate is about the ethics in games journalism, as defined by people who have a history of being creeps on the internet.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

computer parts posted:

Using a symbol that has discriminatory history tends to make people think that you support that discriminatory history.

Symbols mean different things to different people

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Knifegrab posted:

Can we all agree that Anita Sarkessan is detrimental to both sides of the equation. She provides an insanely strong strawman for the opposition (not saying that makes their argument good, its inherently a strawman) but she also actively weakens the strength of her own side by being so wildly ill-informed and emotion-bating.

It's totally clickbaiting or viewbaiting or whatever, but I have a hunch that the majority of FemFreq's views come from MRAs and GamerGaters looking for something to get angry about.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Maybe it's only been made to look like it has a discriminatory history? From what I recall there were plenty of donation drives and such for female devs under gamergate, they actively doxxed and fought harassers, and all the sites that discussed gg stuff specifically had rules against harassment and such.

I mean there are plenty of people who say or do obnoxious stuff in the name of almost any social cause but generally it's seen as lazy to characterize an entire group based on the actions of a few.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

Oh yeah, that'll work because you can control who uses a hashtag.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe it's only been made to look like it has a discriminatory history? From what I recall there were plenty of donation drives and such for female devs under gamergate, they actively doxxed and fought harassers, and all the sites that discussed gg stuff specifically had rules against harassment and such.

The origin of the hashtag has a discriminatory history.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

...do you think that news articles generally spread ex-lover's allegations as fact? Hey, remember that whole SPJ code of ethics thing that gamergaters are all about?

Well gee, I wonder why the nefarious mainstream media didn't spread some nobody's allegations of cheating, and instead went with this absurd harassment "narrative?"

But the same websites (talking about gawker and such) were totally willing to drag dudes like max through the mud off even less evidence and didn't instead take the narrative that the lady posting the allegations was harassing him.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

I hate yankees posted:

It's true, I'm sorry that's shocking to you. Feel free to google the many videos they've made over the years pertaining to games journalism.

Nah, I'm good.

The Droid posted:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The GamerGate tag was first coined by Adam Baldwin, in a tweet with a link to the "Five Guys" video. There's no separating that history. It didn't "evolve" into something else. It didn't change for the better.
It got worse and expanded in scope.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArbitraryC posted:

It's pretty common to have false stuff spread like wildfire...

See: any Max Temkin related article on a Gawker owned site.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I hate yankees posted:

Oh yeah, that'll work because you can control who uses a hashtag.

Obviously there's some reason why GamersGate in particular was chosen.

The Droid posted:

Like Swastikas, the Confederate flag...

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

But the same websites (talking about gawker and such) were totally willing to drag dudes like max through the mud off even less evidence?

So are you mad about people not considering Zoe's ex a credible sourse, or Gawker (I doubt there's a "and such") discussing the allegations against Tempkin?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Unfunny Poster posted:

One thing I remembered about GamerGate is one of the more vocal people "leading the charge" is PressFartToContinue, a guy who creeped on Dodger, who runs the PressHeartToContinue YouTube channel, to the point he doxxed her and contacted her parents because he was "worried about" her or something.

It's really odd when people do those kind of things and lack the self-awareness to realize that it really makes you come off as being a rapist. But thanks to GamerGate you're no longer allowed to call anything rapey except for rape itself.

I'd want to see this guy get his rear end kicked by some girl's understandably pissed off ex-cop father and then cry on the internet about how he got beat up by a radical feminist white knight and it's time to fight back and blah blah blah.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 7, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

Why are we here on sa being made to answer for some minor fraction of the gg movement that sends threatening emails?

"Minor". You know this would be hilarious if I didn't know you believed this.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

computer parts posted:

Obviously there's some reason why GamersGate in particular was chosen.

Like Swastikas, the Confederate flag...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bullfrog posted:

The GamerGate tag was first coined by Adam Baldwin, in a tweet with a link to the "Five Guys" video. There's no separating that history. It didn't "evolve" into something else. It didn't change for the better.
It got worse and expanded in scope.

It evolved in the sense that a cancer can metastasize.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

So are you mad about people not considering Zoe's ex a credible sourse, or Gawker (I doubt there's a "and such") discussing the allegations against Tempkin?

I am mad that it was handled in a complete opposite manner and then they turned around and got on their high horse to say that the people doing the same poo poo they do all the time were bad people inciting harassment or whatever. This is what bunch of people were mad about in the beginning. "Censorship" and 'doublestandards' were two of the chief complaints I read about constantly when the whole scandal started.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean there are plenty of people who say or do obnoxious stuff in the name of almost any social cause but generally it's seen as lazy to characterize an entire group based on the actions of a few.

So you do support doxxing and harassing. Well I'm glad you could at least finally admit it outright.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

circ dick soleil posted:

It's really odd when people do those kind of things and lack the self-awareness to realize that it really makes you come off as being a rapist. But thanks to GamerGate you're no longer allowed to call anything rapey except for rape itself.

The interesting bit, and I didn't notice it until I linked them, but the first Twitlonger is from July 2014. That's around a month before GamerGate kicked off isn't it? :tinfoil:

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

ArbitraryC posted:

I am mad that it was handled in a complete opposite manner and then they turned around and got on their high horse to say that the people doing the same poo poo they do all the time were bad people inciting harassment or whatever. This is what bunch of people were mad about in the beginning. "Censorship" and 'doublestandards' were two of the chief complaints I read about constantly when the whole scandal started.

Not trying to be glib, but I genuinely can't tell what you're trying to say here.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

"Minor". You know this would be hilarious if I didn't know you believed this.

well it seems literally everyone on the vaguely pro gg side of SA have not been involved in sending harassing letters to people. I mean what % of the movement do you think has personally done something that constitutes harassment and how would you compare that to the whatever person is getting pilloried this week on twitter for saying or doing something that could be interpreted as bigoted.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Not trying to be glib, but I genuinely can't tell what you're trying to say here.

Women being harassed is considered harassment, which is bad because men may have faced false allegations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

well it seems literally everyone on the vaguely pro gg side of SA have not been involved in sending harassing letters to people. I mean what % of the movement do you think has personally done something that constitutes harassment and how would you compare that to the whatever person is getting pilloried this week on twitter for saying or doing something that could be interpreted as bigoted.

You can't be stupid enough to think that GG is actually fighing against Twitter outrage culture. GG is Twitter outrage culture.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

Are you pulling some kind of "who among us hasn't told someone to kill themselves via tweet" glass houses throw stones kind of argument? I don't think that's going to turn out well for you if so.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

I'm saying that I think the whole thing is super hypocritical in how it was handled. I don't think zoe should have been harassed anymore than I think max should have been, I'm just pointing out that the people pretending to be morally outraged about harassment in this incidence actively encouraged it in others and I'm sure will continue to do so in the future.

Who What Now posted:

So you do support doxxing and harassing. Well I'm glad you could at least finally admit it outright.
You are impressively disingenuous, I was saying that under any sort of official context of the movement (so much as there can be one) harassment is against the rules and they do whatever they can to minimize it. In general I do not support doxxing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm saying that I think the whole thing is super hypocritical in how it was handled. I don't think zoe should have been harassed anymore than I think max should have been, I'm just pointing out that the people pretending to be morally outraged about harassment in this incidence actively encouraged it in others and I'm sure will continue to do so in the future.

People aren't actually outraged by how Quinn etc are treated: they're merely 'pretending'. They are false and manipulative.

There is no conspiracy, ArbitracyC.

• Locked thread