Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does anyone have any particular healthy / salad-y places to recommend for food during Gen Con?

We always eat a ton of good but junky food and I would like to be a bit healthier this year and was wondering if there were some recommendations for places that are actually healthy and tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Peas and Rice posted:

By the bye, the goon who ran the awesome Dungeon World game last year - are you doing that again this year? I'm gonna crash with a generic since I'm sure it's all full by now.

If you were in my minotaur game the last year or two, I'm not running it this year. At least not officially. I'm bringing the DW stuff just in case, but I've got a pretty full schedule this year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There's a twitter hash tag that's like #genconpug or something similar for finding open games as well. Between that and our Group me, you should never be bored. As for food, I'm probably hitting up a nearby grocery store and filling up on healthy snacks that will keep me going then walking somewhere nearby for dinner each night. I'm big on salad bars and low carb food, so if you want to be dinner buddies hit me up.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Wait, are you guys trying to suggest that 3am Steak & Shake runs are in fact not healthy?
(Totally guilty of this, on multiple occasions. Need to find some better options myself!)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Walking to Steak and Shake at 3am last year the morning of/before/whatever 3am Thursday is called, a sandwich fell from the sky (or possibly the parking structure) about 20 feet in front of me. A guy walking the other way and I looked at the sandwich, looked at each other, and shrugged.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Len posted:

Who all got into that NSDM on Thursday? And what should we do that's less awful than the "Do you have stairs?" to identify each other for maximum COLLUSION purposes?

I'll be there with 1d6+1 of my non-goon buddies.

We should raise our chalices and shout "For the Lady!"

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Sigma-X posted:

Does anyone have any particular healthy / salad-y places to recommend for food during Gen Con?

We always eat a ton of good but junky food and I would like to be a bit healthier this year and was wondering if there were some recommendations for places that are actually healthy and tasty.

There's a Subway a couple of blocks from the convention center. Maybe not healthy but certainly salady.

I'm doing a majorly budget trip this year, considering taking the jug of change in my room, hit Coin Star to convert it and get a Subway $25 gift card and live off that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pez posted:

There's a Subway a couple of blocks from the convention center. Maybe not healthy but certainly salady.

I'm doing a majorly budget trip this year, considering taking the jug of change in my room, hit Coin Star to convert it and get a Subway $25 gift card and live off that.

Yeah I'm aware of it but it will be a pain in the rear end to convince my crew to hit subway often. I'm flying in so it'll be tricky to hit a grocery store beforehand too but I might be able to convince someone to give me a ride.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oops forgot this already-open reply window

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

You too could have the power of... power. http://amzn.com/B00BQ5KHJW I get 12 full charges on an iPhone 6 out of one charge of this battery pack. Has two ports, so share your power with a friend!
ADDED TO MY WISHLIST

Man, I have GOT to get back to my loyal fans on my gay webcam stream, nobody buys me anything anymore.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Thanks, will do. I look forward to meeting my fellow Goons in between what is turning out to be a buddy comedy road trip with me and my boss.
This sounds like a good story.

rex monday posted:

So my job situation just changed and I can't go to GenCon this year. I see that it's a couple weeks past the refund date. Is there anything I can do to unload a couple of tickets?
Quit your job!

ALSO: JUST RELEASED A NEARBY ROOM AT THE CONRAD, FEEL FREE TO TRY TO GRAB IT IF YOU ARE FABULOUSLY WEALTHY

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My buddy (an Indianapolis native) and I are all signed up and ready to go now! We registered for a few events on Friday/Saturday, but I'm hoping we can find some cool PUG stuff with goons late into the night. I'm getting into Indy on Wednesday, so we'll be at nerd/goon trivia, too! How easy is it to use the PUG game room and find people to play with?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

There's a "free play" area where you can just check out board games and play to your heart's content. Grab generic tickets and show up at events that sound interesting; chances are, you'll still get to play.

By the bye, the goon who ran the awesome Dungeon World game last year - are you doing that again this year? I'm gonna crash with a generic since I'm sure it's all full by now.

I'll be doing a DW game this year if you're interested in that, its full up now but bring a generic along! Its this one - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557.

It will mostly be me making fun out of AD&D

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'll be doing a DW game this year if you're interested in that, its full up now but bring a generic along! Its this one - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557.

Ah yeah that's the game to crash. Because I'll be there too.

Also print out a Princess playbook if you want to see hilarity.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ritorix posted:

If you were in my minotaur game the last year or two, I'm not running it this year. At least not officially. I'm bringing the DW stuff just in case, but I've got a pretty full schedule this year.

That's the one. Bummer you aren't running, but it sounds like there's a good alternative. Your game introduced me to and shaped me love to DW and *World games, so thanks!

quote:

I'll be there. :getin:

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Len posted:

Who all got into that NSDM on Thursday? And what should we do that's less awful than the "Do you have stairs?" to identify each other for maximum COLLUSION purposes?

I did as well.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I have an extra True Dungeon ticket that I bought. It turns out my friends chose another time, so I want to offload this one. I feel gross making a profit on it, but is there a way I can sell it for cost or trade a game for it somewhere?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Rusty Kettle posted:

I have an extra True Dungeon ticket that I bought. It turns out my friends chose another time, so I want to offload this one. I feel gross making a profit on it, but is there a way I can sell it for cost or trade a game for it somewhere?

You can pretty easily get generics from someone for it. While they are technically tied to a name none gives a poo poo if they in fact match up.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sigma-X posted:

Silly as it sounds, the Marriott Downtown's hotel restaurant is pretty solid for this (source: me race training the last three years). Good protein-y breakfast buffet, too. Patachou is also good for a light breakfast (if you want it), but it's generally pretty busy due to Proximity.

We're doing Cerulean on Thursday night for Fancy Dinner, and it looks pretty up that slot as well. Skipping Milktooth because my wife is a vegetarian and that menu don't lend well to that.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

well, i do have a hole in my schedule and my wife'll be doing scalemail with her niece so

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Any requests for custom character sheets, while I'm here? I usually do random assignments but if you want a certain sheet in the mix, let me know.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Backno posted:

You can pretty easily get generics from someone for it. While they are technically tied to a name none gives a poo poo if they in fact match up.

Dang. I already got a bunch of generics. I'll be willing to take a loss for a board game or cash.

Maybe I'll just go to the same thing twice. I'll be really good at it the second time and impress everyone with my mad wizarding skillz.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Len posted:

I bought that portable battery that was mentioned in the thread so hopefully I'll be on the group me this year. The girlfriend and I are both suffering from a case of the poor so can be bodies for any game that needs people.

Just 16 more work days. I'm excited.

I'm in that, and I think I have a button with the grenade logo on my badge holder.

I'd say we're going to ruin this thing, but the last time I was in an NSDM game of the Cold War, the Israeli PM (ironically, I hope) quoted Hitler and a sitting US Senator helped smuggle a Soviet nuke into Atlanta, so we can really only improve things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CellBlock posted:

I'm in that, and I think I have a button with the grenade logo on my badge holder.

I'd say we're going to ruin this thing, but the last time I was in an NSDM game of the Cold War, the Israeli PM (ironically, I hope) quoted Hitler and a sitting US Senator helped smuggle a Soviet nuke into Atlanta, so we can really only improve things.

Stories like that are why I had to do an NSDM this year. I'm also in that doomsday one that's at 12am.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Poop, I just realized that's when the only Delta Green game I could get into is running.

I'm up for a pickup game of DW if we organize one on GroupMe. I have a couple of friends (one goon, one non but cool) who'd love to play too.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
So, I'm semi-new to Gencon this year. I'm local, and on a whim, I went on Sunday last year, but only hit the exhibitor's hall. My wife and I are both going for all 4 days, and we want to learn to play a lot of new games, with the aim of potentially purchasing them if we like them. However, we seem to have missed the boat on most of the events that teach the games we want to learn. Are there usually a lot of pick-up games of that nature that we can use generic tickets for, or are we limited to what's being demo'ed in the exhibitor's hall?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JetSet posted:

So, I'm semi-new to Gencon this year. I'm local, and on a whim, I went on Sunday last year, but only hit the exhibitor's hall. My wife and I are both going for all 4 days, and we want to learn to play a lot of new games, with the aim of potentially purchasing them if we like them. However, we seem to have missed the boat on most of the events that teach the games we want to learn. Are there usually a lot of pick-up games of that nature that we can use generic tickets for, or are we limited to what's being demo'ed in the exhibitor's hall?

Post in the thread and the group me a bunch and you'll find things easily. People bring games and buy games and end up wanting bodies to play them. I've played a whole bunch of games that way down there some were fun but not worthy of buying and then there was Space Alert that I ended up scavenging the vendor hall for a copy because it was that fun.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
goon gencon challenge

I am at a games and education conference this weekend and was lucky enough to be introduced to a Project called siftr. This web based app is perfect for documenting events like gen con, so I challenge you all to add in images while you aRe at the con and before to help out fellow goons and posterity.

Just enter a throw away email and start taking images and entering commentary, other people can also enter comments on your images, take pics of cool things at gen con, good pLaces for food, good places to park whatever. Hell, we can even have scavenger hunts to do things like photograph and geocode 5 instances of gender bending sailor moons in costumes too smAll for their frames,

Take images, Add them to the app and help your fellow goons navigate the con. It will be great for a shared experience and future years in Indianapolis.

http://siftr.org/Gencon2015/

If anyone has questions let me know. I can also add in more tags than what are in there, so if there is a category that you believe would be worth filtering by let me know. Certainly nice to weed out everything but the food options when you are hungry, etc.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Poop, I just realized that's when the only Delta Green game I could get into is running.

I'm up for a pickup game of DW if we organize one on GroupMe. I have a couple of friends (one goon, one non but cool) who'd love to play too.

Hit me up on GroupMe and we'll see. I love DW and its the only game I love to run as much as play.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Any requests for custom character sheets, while I'm here? I usually do random assignments but if you want a certain sheet in the mix, let me know.

I mean, I prefer random :shobon:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm thinking I might look into mini games again this year. I want one to play with the girlfriend. Last year me and a friend picked up some Dark Age minis so I plan to take her by the demo booth there. And I've got some really old Privateer Press stuff so we'll demo that. I also might check out Mantic and Dropzone Commander. Maybe Mercs and Infinity (if they'll let me demo it this year). Am I missing any worth checking out? Warhams are out because of the price.

Ideally something easy and affordable. She's never played a miniature game before but she's a trooper and is willing to try whatever.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
X-Wing is a pretty awesome minis game. You can technically play with just the starter set.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sigma-X posted:

X-Wing is a pretty awesome minis game. You can technically play with just the starter set.

Oh yeah that, Armada and the D&D one all sound fun. Does FFG do demos and does it involve waiting in that long line to do them?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Len posted:

Oh yeah that, Armada and the D&D one all sound fun. Does FFG do demos and does it involve waiting in that long line to do them?

They do demos, and yes, usually their demo area is pretty full. New games always have lines (Armada last year for example), but if you can't get in to actually play a demo or you don't want to wait, it's usually pretty easy to perch next to an active demo and just watch for a while.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Merauder posted:

They do demos, and yes, usually their demo area is pretty full. New games always have lines (Armada last year for example), but if you can't get in to actually play a demo or you don't want to wait, it's usually pretty easy to perch next to an active demo and just watch for a while.

I watched Bruno Cathala demo Abyss for Wil Wheaton last year.

Someone came up during the demo to ask for the autograph of....Bruno Cathala. I thought that was cool.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Merauder posted:

In terms of demos, I would avoid anything with Plaid Hat. Last year, even with Dead of Winter, they insisted that their demos be full games (which can take an hour plus, obviously) so there was a lot of waiting around for nothing going on since it was the 'hotness' of the show.

Kotae
May 22, 2007

how cute!
Just thought I'd pop in the thread and say hi, excited for my third GenCon!

I'm a little late on event registration this year though, is there any that people absolutely recommend that may have spots open? I'm pretty open to most events, especially board game/tcg/ccg. Otherwise I'll try pugs, which is something that'll be my first year actually attempting to do..!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Everything good was full the day registration opened. Just get generic tickets and join the Groupme/#genconpug on Twitter

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can you guys recommend a good hotel to stay at that's not too pricey?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's also a number of events that are open for whatever reason:
All open RPGs
All open Board Games

And there's apparently a fairly big backlog of events yet to be added this year:
All open RPGs added this month
Open Board Games added this month

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Can you guys recommend a good hotel to stay at that's not too pricey?

At this point you either A) weasel your way into sharing someone else's room or B) get a room near the airport (or similarly remote location) and drive/shuttle in.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, and that's not even a terribly recent thing; We got our room two months ago and still have to drive 20-30 minutes to the hall. Which sucks real bad, if you've only stayed in walking distance you have no idea how worse it is to have to coordinate driving and curfews and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

....curfews?

• Locked thread