Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

hi I like final fantasy, whats your favorite final fantasy? :)

Saga Frontier 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Chrono Trigger is the best final fantasy

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rei_ posted:

It's funny because in FFV right now for FJF I had White Mage/Time Mage/Bard and by the time I got Dragoon I'm honestly just thrilled to have a class that I has a working Fight command because fights were EASY but they were LONG and drawn out and required several turns of setup if I wanted to get some serious dps going

And this is why you run from random encounters. :eng101:

(brave blade fans :frogout:)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CeallaSo posted:

If I had to pick one favorite, though, I guess it would be FFVII. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

FFVI for me, for the same reason.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my favourite is IX. everything about that game is charm and good writing, and I have beaten it upwards of 10 times without getting tired of it.

X-2, Tactics, and VIII are close behind though, in no particular order

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Square's already showing off the Type-0 PC port at SDCC. I'm going to be really annoyed that it's going to come out before Lightning Returns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm playing FFX2s last mission for the first time. I feel like I'm in over my head. Is there somewhere that explains some of this stuff?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Vagrant Story

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

corn in the bible posted:

Saga Frontier 2

Bless your heart.

Now I want to change my answer to Romancing SaGa.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
it's sad that not every game can be perfect, like final fantasy ix.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's sad that Final Fantasy IX can't be perfect.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Speaking of favorite non-Final Fantasy games, what did you guys think of Lost Odyssey? I thought it had a lot of the usual Sakaguchi elements, such as Gaea theory and a Studio Ghibli influence. And really long dungeons.

Tae posted:

Square's already showing off the Type-0 PC port at SDCC. I'm going to be really annoyed that it's going to come out before Lightning Returns.

Lightning Returns is coming this Fall. Let's see if they can hit it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sunning posted:

Speaking of favorite non-Final Fantasy games, what did you guys think of Lost Odyssey? I thought it had a lot of the usual Sakaguchi elements, such as Gaea theory and a Studio Ghibli influence. And really long dungeons.

i dug it. wasn't the best game i ever played, but the powerpoint slide stories were usually pretty good and the core idea was neat. i remember the combat being pretty decent too. got kind of burned out by about the middle of disk 2 though

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I enjoyed Lost Odyssey quite a bit.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The thread must not change.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

we must break the cycle of the crystals

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

It would be kind of interesting to put together "tier lists" going over the usefulness of the various jobs over different games. I'm not super familiar with FF3, X-2, 12 or the tactics games so I can't comment on those much.

Generally, as a rule, anything that has Haste in a Final Fantasy game is really good as that's a spell that's just always really good.

In FFXI, White mage, Red Mage and Bard were traditionally the in-demand support classes, Ninja and Paladin were the most used tanks, and DPS cycled around a lot with various nerfs and buffs, but Ranger was top dog for a good while. Puppetmaster and Dragoon were traditionally the butt of jokes and led pretty miserable lives.

FFXI was a Final Fantasy game made into an MMO, FFXIV is an MMO made into a Final Fantasy game. XI's actual mechanics are a lot closer to the actual single player games, for better or for worse. It was balanced about as well as one, which was not at all.

Final Fantasy games are often pretty broken if you know what you're doing. Half of the fun of Final Fantasy 5 is using exploits to cheese the gently caress out everything.

Currently redmage is largely ignored in 11. Most i have seen it do lately is solo higher tier hard mode battlefields. It gets no party play because their debuffs don't compare to other classes buffs/debuffs and there just isnt any alliance content where you fight a single target long term.

White mage was briefly mediocre as a healer, almost indistinguishable from scholar and redmage up until cureskin became a thing. Afflatus solace causes all cures to stick a short stoneskin effect on those cured, allowing for predicting hard hits and aoes.

Bard is still it's solid buffing self but now its 3 song or bust, 4 songs expected (relic horn, empy harp, and mythic dagger) for the higher difficulty content. Having those three parts is easily 600m+ in gil and months of content.

pretty soft girl posted:

Dragoon became pretty good in toau once they got reasonable equipment (not being able to equip haubergeon, yuck), had a real 2 hour, had wyverns that could survive a stiff breeze, and weapon skills that could stack up with the other dps classes. From what I understand dragoon has the potential to be the strongest dd by far in modern day ffxi, though they weren't anything to scoff at by the time I stopped playing in 2010.

Puppet master looked like it had potential at certain points due to high damage nukes that had zero hate, but it just seemed way too complicated to bother putting the time in. No idea if it ever became viable, no one really wanted to play it from a flavor or mechanics standpoint. At least they're not beastmaster, which I'm pretty sure square forgot was a class in 2005

Dragoon was never good. It was only briefly viable for merits in toau due to colibri and puks (piercing weakness and dragonkiller). In endgame content it was always second or third string to sam and other jobs, used to fill ranks when you just wanted to throw melee at something. The wyvern has always had issues and even now doesn't really benefit from pet augments like dedicated pet jobs smn and bst. Currently samurai is king melee dd due to store tp and the like though they can often be beaten by non melee and mage jobs like bst, blu, smn.

Puppet master has received a bit of a boost but it is still considered a 'meh' job. The recent yorcia delve event gave all pet jobs some downright insane augmentable gear with huge pet stats boosts but requires a relic/mythic/empy equivalent of gil invested to exploit. Jadey could probably comment on that one more since he is a mythic owner.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

man X2 had such a kickass combat system i wish they would bring that back just for funsies

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

frodnonnag posted:

Dragoon was never good. It was only briefly viable for merits in toau due to colibri and puks (piercing weakness and dragonkiller). In endgame content it was always second or third string to sam and other jobs, used to fill ranks when you just wanted to throw melee at something. The wyvern has always had issues and even now doesn't really benefit from pet augments like dedicated pet jobs smn and bst. Currently samurai is king melee dd due to store tp and the like though they can often be beaten by non melee and mage jobs like bst, blu, smn.

for stuff that wasn't HNMs during the toau era dragoons were fantastic, especially if they were decked out with the gear to maximize the effectiveness of healing breaths as DRG/RDM- you had an extremely mana efficient healer who wasn't exactly hurting for attack or accuracy against the sort of stuff that was being fought. I always found dragoons to be pretty drat good for stuff like Nyzul, Salvage, Einherjar, ZNMs, or anything else low-manned where you weren't dealing with mobs that were a billion levels higher than you. I'm not going to deny that Samurais were king at the time (I had a pretty well geared SAM and DRG at the time and my SAM got trotted out more often) but Seigan wasn't as reliable as people liked to think it was and SAM/NIN was a total slog to play that put up crummy numbers but was needed for the role they were expected to fill at certain events. If the wyvern could be kept up I preferred DRG/mage in one of the secondary melee parties to throwing another samurai at it, though I will admit it tended to be situational.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

man XI sounds like loving hell where it's like 'I guess I better just level every job unless I get stuck with one no one wants to play with'

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rei_ posted:

man XI sounds like loving hell where it's like 'I guess I better just level every job unless I get stuck with one no one wants to play with'

It was really bad in the early days when XP came in super super slow, the requirements to level were enormous, and certain classes were straight up garbage (DRG after the pentathrust nerf in 2004, Samurai before the 2H buff, Puppetmaster for a long time) but it tended to not be so bad after the first couple of expansions, though some classes really just never found a niche (like beastmaster).

The real poo poo show was leveling a job you thought would be fun and then being expected to shelve all of your other jobs for something that was not nearly as fun to play at end game as it was in the grind. RDM was my first job and it was played very differently in the 2003/2004 exp grind than it played at end game, and I really didn't have any fun with it after a year of level cap. I still had people asking me to bring it out in 2009 even though I sold all the gear for it to deck out my melee jobs. I know more than a couple of people who made the mistake of leveling bard and had to kiss the rest of their jobs goodbye forever, or picked up a thief's knife for their thief and were expected to show up as a job whose sole contribution was doing miserable damage, pulling things and losing exp that the rest of the group would not help recoup, and taking "lighthearted" abuse from the alliance when items didn't drop

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fungah! posted:

i dug it. wasn't the best game i ever played, but the powerpoint slide stories were usually pretty good and the core idea was neat. i remember the combat being pretty decent too. got kind of burned out by about the middle of disk 2 though

I enjoyed it well enough to consider a reformed 360 to replay it. It's a long game though, first time I played it I burned out halfway through disk 4.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sunning posted:

It was alright, grinded all the characters up, did all the bonus bosses, and never touched it again when finished. Tell you the truth I don't remember anything about the game, the main character had black hair?

If you got an xbox and time to kill, I would say give it a shot. I don't remember how combat happened but it was generally not annoying. I do remember long dungeons.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 7, 2015

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

It was really bad in the early days when XP came in super super slow, the requirements to level were enormous, and certain classes were straight up garbage (DRG after the pentathrust nerf in 2004, Samurai before the 2H buff, Puppetmaster for a long time) but it tended to not be so bad after the first couple of expansions, though some classes really just never found a niche (like beastmaster).

The real poo poo show was leveling a job you thought would be fun and then being expected to shelve all of your other jobs for something that was not nearly as fun to play at end game as it was in the grind. RDM was my first job and it was played very differently in the 2003/2004 exp grind than it played at end game, and I really didn't have any fun with it after a year of level cap. I still had people asking me to bring it out in 2009 even though I sold all the gear for it to deck out my melee jobs. I know more than a couple of people who made the mistake of leveling bard and had to kiss the rest of their jobs goodbye forever, or picked up a thief's knife for their thief and were expected to show up as a job whose sole contribution was doing miserable damage, pulling things and losing exp that the rest of the group would not help recoup, and taking "lighthearted" abuse from the alliance when items didn't drop

Beastmaster's niche is now pretty much. there's some newer content that is straight up "throw some BSTs at it". Thief is one of the top DD in alot of content now due to Mythic WS and putting out high numbers.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Rinoa is the only good character in 8.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should put Rinoa and her dog in the new Dissidia

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Help Im Alive posted:

They should put Rinoa and her dog in the new Dissidia

:yeah:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rei_ posted:

Yes and no. You can easily solo through most of the story content on almost any job using trust NPCs. Also you level up much, much faster than you do in XIV.

I generally do stuff with irl friends and goon linkshell members and almost never, ever play with randos so the fact that my two 99 jobs are Red Mage and Summoner honestly isn't much of a problem. If I ever bother to level any more jobs to 99, I've thought of doing Dragoon, Blue Mage or Paladin, not because they're "optimal" but because I think they'd be fun.

Also I learned the hard way that the only way to enjoy MMOs is to play them casually so hardcore endgame stuff isn't my thing. I don't see much point in trying to get the best gear with the biggest numbers possible when you can do 90% of the actual enjoyable stuff without it. Especially in a game that's really loving old.

On the flip side though, while I enjoy FFXI, if you don't have any friends to play it with and you're forced to play with random strangers, it's going to be completely impenetrable.

Honestly, I don't really enjoy playing online games with random rear end people in general because I just don't want to deal with douchebags in video games. I can't remember the last time I actually used xbox live. I kinda dislike playing games online in general and MMOs are kind of a weird exception for me. I tend to prefer playing games with people locally, and outside of fighting games and Mario Kart, that's kind of a lost art.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 7, 2015

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Excels posted:

man X2 had such a kickass combat system i wish they would bring that back just for funsies

X-3 a sequel starring Nooj, Gippal, and Baralai.

"N. G. B. In position. It's showtime boys"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I didn't even play FF:Dimensions, but I imagine double-cast there is just as game-breaking as it is in other games.

Red Mage is only good in the first act of each team and when you master them to get double cast, because you're right, that ability is just as good as it is in every game it appears in. But all of their other abilities and utility are GARBAGE. Dimensions could be disappointing just from that, because Red Mage gives you the Magic Sword commands, and coming from FFV's Spellblade to Dimension's Magic Sword is like going from a nuke to a pea shooter thinking that it looked like a nuke. I had such high hopes for it, but it's a complete letdown.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

gigglefeimer posted:

X-3 a sequel starring Nooj, Gippal, and Baralai.

"N. G. B. In position. It's showtime boys"

*profuse ejaculation*

Sunning posted:

I certainly liked the music!

But I'm of the opinion that if it were possible to cannibalize the best elements of Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant into a single game, we might have ended up with one incredible game instead of two disappointing ones.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
When I heard Lost Odyssey, I pictured something in my head that I think was actually The Last Remnant, which I only tried briefly.

I know Last Remnant was on PC, but I don't know if it was any good.

I'm assuming Lost Odyssey was not on PC?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Annath posted:

When I heard Lost Odyssey, I pictured something in my head that I think was actually The Last Remnant, which I only tried briefly.

xbox 360 exclusive.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like how Last Remnant basically tried to get around the problem of ATB-style combat being boring by adding a million characters in a battle and adding QTE's, in theory it was a decent idea but the way they executed it I never had any idea what the gently caress was going on in a battle. Flank attack, where the gently caress did that other squad come from?

Also the best FF game is clearly FF Record Keeper.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Annath posted:

Can't blame you. They were both JRPGs for the Xbox 360 running (poorly) on the Unreal Engine 3. Lost Odyssey was only released on the Xbox 360.

Maybe if there is enough demand, we'll see it on Xbox1 through BC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's strange that the Xbox 360 and Nintendo both had initiatives to make RPGs from a supposed dream team of talent. Which do you will aged better, Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon/Last Remnant or Pandora's Tower/The Last Story/Xenoblade Chronicles?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

It's strange that the Xbox 360 and Nintendo both had initiatives to make RPGs from a supposed dream team of talent. Which do you will aged better, Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon/Last Remnant or Pandora's Tower/The Last Story/Xenoblade Chronicles?

Blue Dragoon will forever be remembered for creating this song for Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpw-8vxZag

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The Wii ones for certain. Pandora's Tower is kinda eh but the other two are solid compared to the 360 where only Lost Odyssey was really any good. (Last Remenant improved on the PC version)

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Either VI or XII. I loved VI as a kid and it stayed with me, on the other hand I disliked XII when it released and grew to love it over time.

Tae posted:

Definitely the Wii titles,they just feel like they just have a much better execution while the Xbox series all feel more seriously flawed. Though I think I am alone in not really liking Xenoblade much. Its good, I just wasn't blown away or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

FFX, FF13 trilogy, FF8, FF6 in that order and FF6 only scores so high because of Sabin. X-2 would make this list but I hate the non-linearity and how it leads to there being a bunch of missable content.