Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks Ants posted:

I get on well with Aerohive gear.

Same. I think I still prefer Aruba gear, but Aerohive is decent, and I really appreciate what they did to knock Aruba licensing down several notches. I'm excited to see how HM-NG works out, it looks a lot better in the ways where Aerohive is really not all that good (historical analytics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kiwid posted:

The Air Fiber 5's look pretty cool, might give those a go.

A little late, but I installed a pair of AF5s last summer over a 1.25ish mile link. Working great considering my mounting locations are not the best.

blugbee
Mar 1, 2004
hi c-fut
Has anyone ever done any WiFi AP stress testing? I have access to http://www.ixiacom.com/products/ixveriwave but it's simulated clients and it requires shipping every AP we want to test overseas. I'm considering buying ~80-100 raspberry pi's and usb wifi dongles for evaluating AP performance using real WiFi connections. I would be automating the testing scenarios through scripting. Assuming that the budget isn't an issue, is there any reason why I should or shouldn't go ahead with this plan?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Only kinda enterprisey, I needed to get my internet to a house on the back of the property, so I tried This unifi/ubiqiti thing. It's working really nicely, no dropped packets, basically unnoticeable. I guess there are newer (not discontinued) models, but I cannot tell which one to get to just make it work.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

blugbee posted:

Has anyone ever done any WiFi AP stress testing? I have access to http://www.ixiacom.com/products/ixveriwave but it's simulated clients and it requires shipping every AP we want to test overseas. I'm considering buying ~80-100 raspberry pi's and usb wifi dongles for evaluating AP performance using real WiFi connections. I would be automating the testing scenarios through scripting. Assuming that the budget isn't an issue, is there any reason why I should or shouldn't go ahead with this plan?

Assuming your time isn't an issue you can try something like that, but you're still testing like... throughput to Raspberri Pi clients.

We have some of Ixia's VeraWave solution. There are a couple of radio modules that jack into a laptop that can simulate clients, and the WaveDeploy test suite with a mobile client that we can roll out to actual real world devices. You can have someone load it up and run the testing from their location (coordinated, not ad-hoc) and get measurements. It depends on your environment but with a huge BYOD type environ, being able to prove the client device has an issue seems to be as important as "clinical testing". We have done throughput and load testing, but it seems to take the real world to give you a lovely noise floor, and the multicast syncing app-du-jour to make a mess out of it.

Like I said run like 10 bluesocket APs for a LAN event that get demolished every year by the noise floor and jerks running file sharing applications that I can't manage at the AP (boo on that, capwap). Before all the kids show up it screams along just great with auto RF and power management. Similarly we have a ~3k AP Cisco deployment that I end up trying to troubleshoot on , and when the network is under load, sometimes you're just dead in the water with channel utilization. It doesn't take 100 clients to do that either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone had some time to see what Ruckus' Xclaim range is like? It's more or less Ubiquiti pricing but doesn't need a controller and is designed to be set-and-forget. Missing a lot of features but I think they are aiming for reliability over a long feature list.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: just saw this on Dlinks website, http://us.dlink.com/business-solutions/facebook-wifi/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What are people using on the smaller end (1-3 WAPs per site)? We're an MSP and have been standardizing people on Merakis but we're starting to get pushback on price from customers and our management.

A lot of the other "small business" stuff is all over the place (Cisco Small Business line I'm looking at you). :mad:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

What are people using on the smaller end (1-3 WAPs per site)? We're an MSP and have been standardizing people on Merakis but we're starting to get pushback on price from customers and our management.

A lot of the other "small business" stuff is all over the place (Cisco Small Business line I'm looking at you). :mad:
Ubiquiti all the way. Almost all of the functionality of the Merakis at the price point of the Cisco Small Businesses.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nexxai posted:

Ubiquiti all the way. Almost all of the functionality of the Merakis at the price point of the Cisco Small Businesses.

We moved away from Ubiquiti in the past for various reasons (which I don't actually recall), but maybe it's worth taking another look.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

We moved away from Ubiquiti in the past for various reasons (which I don't actually recall), but maybe it's worth taking another look.

Arubas are stronger then Merakis and don't require the yearly fees they are certainly worth a look. They also have great deals they ran buy 3 get 2 free for a while earlier this year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aruba are owned by HP now so anything they did that you liked will be stopped.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Aruba are owned by HP now so anything they did that you liked will be stopped.
I don't know why, but the way I read this in my head makes me laugh out loud. I can just picture some drunk guy overhearing a conversation in a bar and just talking to himself as he takes another shot.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Maneki Neko posted:

Make sure you're getting competitive pricing on the Meraki gear, especially if you're ordering a lot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anyone have recommendations for a requirement of up to 5 APs per deployment for temporary events where there won't be internet access for the devices to be cloud managed? I know the Cisco small business APs can do this but it's always seemed a bit poo poo and quite barren in terms of features like anything that can help diagnose RF issues.

I can spend Meraki money on the kit but I just can't always give it internet access. Am I looking at APs + controller or is there anything else worth looking at? I don't want to use UniFi because I've been burned too many times by it previously.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

IMO, it depends what you need to do. If you are dumping everyone to a flat LAN and don't need central auth, then you maybe can get away with just autonomous APs. Controller and AP deployments can maybe just set themselves up depending on if you are using travelling kit and the same setup at each location. I thought Cisco had some branch routers that would do a handful of their CAPWAP APs but I don't see them now. There are a couple of controllers in the 2000-esque series that are small and scale but are probably mucho Dolores. I don't know if they will let you run the VMWare controller locally with just a couple of licenses.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Partycat posted:

I thought Cisco had some branch routers that would do a handful of their CAPWAP APs but I don't see them now.

That'd probably be the Cat3650s.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-729449.html

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 7, 2015

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

First time using Ubiquity Unifi gear. I bought six Unifi Pro's and I'm currently setting up the controller software. Why are there "Networks" in the controller software? I'm not talking about the "Wireless Networks" section, but the "Networks" section itself.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 28, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kiwid posted:

First time using Ubiquity Unifi gear. I bought six Unifi Pro's and I'm currently setting up the controller software. Why are there "Networks" in the controller software? I'm not talking about the "Wireless Networks" section, but the "Networks" section itself.

Their controller software is designed to be used with some of their other Unifi branded products. Like routers, switches, phones, etc... Nothing put into the "Networks" tab actually does anything if you are only using the UniFi access points.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

stevewm posted:

Their controller software is designed to be used with some of their other Unifi branded products. Like routers, switches, phones, etc... Nothing put into the "Networks" tab actually does anything if you are only using the UniFi access points.

Ah ok, that makes sense. So does that mean that the dashboard is all good, I won't actually see the WWW/WAN/LAN circles light up green if I'm only using wireless APs?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Affirmative.... Here is mine for comparison. APs only.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is this considered good/optimal coverage (ignoring the bottom right corner of the building where they do not need wireless)?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a predicted coverage that doesn't take into account what the walls are made of, noise floor etc.

Looking at each box being an individual office I would say you have far too few APs, both in terms of coverage and in terms of throughput.

What sort of usage are you aiming for? It's probably suitable for people to get their iPads online.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a predicted coverage that doesn't take into account what the walls are made of, noise floor etc.

Looking at each box being an individual office I would say you have far too few APs, both in terms of coverage and in terms of throughput.

What sort of usage are you aiming for? It's probably suitable for people to get their iPads online.

I agree, I originally asked for approval for 9 APs but you ask for 9, you get 6. I should have asked for 12.

Not looking for insane throughput, just general web browsing and that's it. We got the Unifi Pros so we're hoping that the phones and poo poo prefer the 5ghz while the laptops are all forced to use 2ghz.

Everything is drywall so it shouldn't be too bad. However, we have a steel roof so I'm not sure how that will affect it.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 30, 2015

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

kiwid posted:

I agree, I originally asked for approval for 9 APs but you ask for 9, you get 6. I should have asked for 12.

Not looking for insane throughput, just general web browsing and that's it. We got the Unifi Pros so we're hoping that the phones and poo poo prefer the 5ghz while the laptops are all forced to use 2ghz.

Everything is drywall so it shouldn't be too bad. However, we have a steel roof so I'm not sure how that will affect it.

A steel roof won't have too much negative impact. It will likely cause reflection, causing more multipath, but that is less of a big deal in a MIMO implementation.

Is there a legend for what the different colors indicate on your heatmap?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Frabba posted:

Is there a legend for what the different colors indicate on your heatmap?

No, I was wondering that too and I've Googled for one but can't seem to find one.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone have any suggestions on good "how to do wireless" books for CCENT/CCNA-level people? We've got no one on our team who would really qualify as knowledgeable in this area and I figure now is a good time to plug that hole. Preferably something that runs the whole gamut from the theoretical side of things with the various 802.11 standards and all that jazz as well as the practical side with best practices for installation, positioning, and stuff like that.

I'm sure one of the CCNA Wireless books would cover it but something a bit less dry than the official cert guides would be great.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005WZ0SXW/

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I'm a big fan of the CWNA certification textbook.

e. http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Wireless-Network-Administrator-Official/dp/1119067766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438438928&sr=8-1&keywords=CWNA

Frabba fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 1, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Someone managed to scam Ubiquiti for over $46 million: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1511737/000157104915006288/t1501817_8k.htm

That's a lot of money, anyone more in-tune with the financial world able to comment on how much this is likely to affect them as a company?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

wolrah posted:

Someone managed to scam Ubiquiti for over $46 million: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1511737/000157104915006288/t1501817_8k.htm

That's a lot of money, anyone more in-tune with the financial world able to comment on how much this is likely to affect them as a company?

The company was holding the money offshore, so probably they're evading any tax repercussions as long as it "stays" there until the money is repatriated.

The share buy back program is probably going to get scrapped now since there's no extra cash sitting around.

Daily operations shouldn't be affected, but expect a round of belt tightening there and maybe a few layoffs and non-performing products being killed off. At an extreme they might start doing things like service contracts and the like to increase revenue/profit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti have a new range of AC access points out, prices are way more similar to the old UniFi line. They also seem to be doing something interesting with iOS/Android apps at least for the initial setup.

Probably going to pick up a couple of the dirt cheap Lite models.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
While I love Ubiquiti gear, they are notorious for launching products well before they are finished. I understand they want to get new products to market ASAP, but at least wait until more than half the features advertised are actually present before shipping!

I have a feeling the majority of the more "advanced" features being hyped up for these new models will not actually work until a alpha/beta firmware release a year from now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

Probably going to pick up a couple of the dirt cheap Lite models.

The UAP-AC-LITE is calling my name.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quick Cisco Meraki question:

We ended up going with a different vendor at work, so I pulled the demo unit they sent us off our network. I figured I'd take it home since I'm using some lovely D-Link wireless router. Problem is, for some reason it doesn't want to work.

If I connect it to my D-Link router, it boots up and works fine. Shows the new SSID's and such that I configured through the dashboard, status lights look good. However, if I connect it directly to my cable modem (some little Motorola one the cable company gives me), it never seems to go back online. I've tried powering down the cable modem in case it was locked to the MAC of my D-Link router, but it still never goes anywhere. The light just blinks orange which means 'AP can’t find an uplink'.

If I plug a laptop into the cable modem, it gets a public address via DHCP on the cable company's network and everything is fine. Should I just factory reset the Meraki and see what happens? Do I have to have another router on the network for this to work? I guess I could just disable wireless on my D-Link.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Obvious first question, does it have a static IP or VLAN set? What does the dashboard have to say about the unit?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sheep posted:

Obvious first question, does it have a static IP or VLAN set? What does the dashboard have to say about the unit?

It's setup for DHCP not static. It also shouldn't have a VLAN set on it.

Dashboard says:

LAN IP 1:
192.168.168.104 (via DHCP) (set IP address)
Gateway: 192.168.168.1; DNS: 71.10.216.1, 71.10.216.2 <-- That's the address of my D-Link and my ISP's DNS servers
Public IP: 68.x.x.x (68-x-x-x.­dhcp.­town.state.­charter.­com)

It also says it's unreachable for the last two days, which makes sense since that's the last time I plugged it in to the D-Link.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Weird. Have you tried rebooting the cable modem after plugging the Meraki AP directly into it? I know that TWC, in my area at least, uses sticky MAC addresses. Next suggestion would be factory reset the AP. I've had lots of IP address assignment-related issues with APs prior to the latest firmware update.

Edit: plug it into the modem, connect to the AP, and go to http://my.meraki.com or http://10.128.128.128 and see what it says? Make sure local status pages are turned on. I've never tried to hit my.meraki.com on anything but switches and security appliances before but the documentation says it should work.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 8, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Weird. Have you tried rebooting the cable modem after plugging the Meraki AP directly into it? I know that TWC, in my area at least, uses sticky MAC addresses.

Bob Morales posted:

I've tried powering down the cable modem in case it was locked to the MAC of my D-Link router, but it still never goes anywhere.

quote:

Next suggestion would be factory reset the AP. I've had lots of IP address assignment-related issues with APs prior to the latest firmware update.

In the middle of that right now.

quote:

Edit: plug it into the modem, connect to the AP, and go to http://my.meraki.com or http://10.128.128.128 and see what it says? Make sure local status pages are turned on. I've never tried to hit my.meraki.com on anything but switches and security appliances before but the documentation says it should work.

See the weird thing is, it doesn't even broadcast the SSID if it can't connect to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

See the weird thing is, it doesn't even broadcast the SSID if it can't connect to the internet.

That's fairly normal for Merakis, if I remember correctly. If it can't connect to their cloud server it won't provision.

• Locked thread