Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Kyrosiris posted:

You have Mystic Knight.

Petrify the piece that casts it with Break Blade. :)

Haha I will never stop learning things about this game, jeez.
Thanks! :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poulpe posted:

Haha I will never stop learning things about this game, jeez.
Thanks!

Quite welcome! It's not 100% finished yet, but Mega64's awesome Simplified Boss Guide is really good and presents pared down boss statistics and status vulnerabilities instead of status immunities (leaving you to parse what's not present from a list of immunities).

Hell, I refer to it for most things nowadays, boss-wise; I only use the Algorithms Guide for hard stat numbers (magical M, attack power, defenses/evasion) or the bosses' AI routines.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Aegis Shield is much better for the final areas, but you can get another one in Istory. The only fight before that where you'd really want it is Exdeath, and that fight is pretty easy with a Beastmaster anyway. I'd rather save myself the hassle of grinding for Flame Rings in World 1.

2 aegis shields is twice as good as one aegis shield. here's the thing, you can get flame res from replenishable sources but it's a giant pain in the rear end to get more than two aegis shields and aegis is a lot more valuable overall

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fungah! posted:

2 aegis shields is twice as good as one aegis shield. here's the thing, you can get flame res from replenishable sources but it's a giant pain in the rear end to get more than two aegis shields and aegis is a lot more valuable overall

True, but this team has much better options for the second ability slot than Equip Shield, so you don't need more than one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

True, but this team has much better options for the second ability slot than Equip Shield, so you don't need more than one.

Yes but why on earth would you wish Fork Tower on a team whose most potent non-reset-triggering ability is Red Mage rod-boosted -aras?

Like christ that's a stone's throw removed from just waiting out his MP.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I was looking at that boss guide, and while I beat Marissa or w/e, Falter never showed up??

Also, any prostrats i should be working towards with Knight and MK? Or should I just wait till I get all my jobs?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

So I was looking at that boss guide, and while I beat Marissa or w/e, Falter never showed up??

Also, any prostrats i should be working towards with Knight and MK? Or should I just wait till I get all my jobs?

Forza only shows up if Magissa gets through her AI loop (i.e. she has to pass the second line of it) and has less than 300 HP. I'm pretty sure with Knight first job you had Two-Handed by that point and just turned her into a stain before she got a chance to take a second action, much less a third.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes but why on earth would you wish Fork Tower on a team whose most potent non-reset-triggering ability is Red Mage rod-boosted -aras?

Like christ that's a stone's throw removed from just waiting out his MP.

Red Mages have access to Silence. Just mute the bastard and beat on him till he's dead.

Edit: Or, if you want to be fancy, Berserk him with the Power Staff and laugh at him while Guard completely nullifies all of his attacks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Red Mages have access to Silence. Just mute the bastard and beat on him till he's dead.

Even a Hasted Red Mage does not act twice within a 30 ATB window. Omniscient is Heavy, and Silence lasts precisely gently caress all on him.

quote:

6.6) STATUS DURATION DETERMINATION

1) Status Duration = Spell Duration + (Attacker Level / 4). Max Status Duration = 255.
2) If Spell ignores Target modifiers to duration, do not follow any more steps.
3) If the Target is Heavy type, Status Duration = 30; do not follow any more steps.

The reason it works for Mystic Knights is because the mute is part of the swing of the sword. No such dice for Red Mages, unless you really wanna gamble on Mage Masher procs.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Even a Hasted Red Mage does not act twice within a 30 ATB window. Omniscient is Heavy, and Silence lasts precisely gently caress all on him.

You don't need to keep him permanently silenced (though you could with two hasted characters). Make sure that two characters have their turn up, silence him, and them immediately attack. Rinse and repeat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Kyrosiris posted:

Quite welcome! It's not 100% finished yet, but Mega64's awesome Simplified Boss Guide is really good and presents pared down boss statistics and status vulnerabilities instead of status immunities (leaving you to parse what's not present from a list of immunities).

Hell, I refer to it for most things nowadays, boss-wise; I only use the Algorithms Guide for hard stat numbers (magical M, attack power, defenses/evasion) or the bosses' AI routines.

It says Black Mage has Poison for Garula, though, which it Does Not. :mad:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

You don't need to keep him permanently silenced (though you could with two hasted characters). Make sure that two characters have their turn up, silence him, and them immediately attack. Rinse and repeat.

Or... not bother with Fork Tower. I'd rather just think laterally and, you know, use the tools my team has available (like instant death aquathornes) and bypass poo poo I have no need for (like Fork Tower due precisely to aforementioned Power Staff).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

that sounds insanely tedious considering his next best physical attacker after the knight is a beastmaster

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Forza only shows up if Magissa gets through her AI loop (i.e. she has to pass the second line of it) and has less than 300 HP. I'm pretty sure with Knight first job you had Two-Handed by that point and just turned her into a stain before she got a chance to take a second action, much less a third.
Sort of, no two hand but her damage was laughable and I just wailed on her for a few turns
I think guard is just letting me bumble through this game. It took two random encounters after the water crystal to get to Two-Handed.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Aegis Shield is much better for the final areas, but you can get another one in Istory. The only fight before that where you'd really want it is Exdeath, and that fight is pretty easy with a Beastmaster anyway. I'd rather save myself the hassle of grinding for Flame Rings in World 1.
What would really be the point of doing Fork Tower, etc. with this party?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Or... not bother with Fork Tower. I'd rather just think laterally and, you know, use the tools my team has available (like instant death aquathornes) and bypass poo poo I have no need for (like Fork Tower due precisely to aforementioned Power Staff).

I mean, if you don't like doing Fork Tower, then fair enough. I like the late-game dungeons (except for the Great Sea Trench), so I don't mind doing them, and I'd say with this team it's worth visiting Istory Falls anyway for the Rune Blade/Enhancer, but if Mustard Iceman doesn't care about that, I'm not gonna tell him how to play the game.

Fungah! posted:

that sounds insanely tedious considering his next best physical attacker after the knight is a beastmaster

Beastmaster's a solid physical fighter, and by this point you can catch monsters that release for an insane amount of damage.

Edit:

Mustard Iceman posted:

Aside from the stuff in Istory Falls (Aegis Shield, Enhancer, Rune Blade, Reflect Ring), the Defender and the Wonder Wand. Plus some more money, I guess, if you need it.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 7, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hadn't realized that my party's inability to equip shields means I'm not going to have Aegis later on. Ouch, the Void is gonna hurt.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mustard Iceman posted:

Ostensibly I'd say the Wonder Wand but Red Mages have Staff access and thus can use a Power Staff to berserk Shinryu.

Maybe the Defender, but holy hell that's a stretch (esp. with one of Red Mage's sole points of pride being "I can cast Protect pretty drat fast").

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Can someone give me some advice for how to take on Omega? My party is Monk, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, and Chemist, and is around level 42.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Time Mage, Best Mage

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Black Mage Knight posted:

Can someone give me some advice for how to take on Omega? My party is Monk, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, and Chemist, and is around level 42.

How To Murder Omega With Chemist, gently caress It I'm Lazy edition: Berserk him with Blessed Kiss. Revive through his damage while you try to plug him with Thundaga Spellblade Chicken Knife.

How To Murder Omega With Chemist, Fight It Out edition:

0) Your Geomancer is the one that will murder Omega for you, due to highest magic score.
1) Everyone comes into the fight with a reflect ring and floating via Levisalve
2) Omega's first action is completely nullified by reflect rings.
3) Your team mixes onto your Geomancer: Dragon Kiss, Dragon Defense, Hasty-Ade, Goliath Tonic
4) Omega uses Wave Cannon. Ignore your non-Geomancer flunkies.
5) Geomancer saves their life with X-Potion. Two flunkies use Dragon Powers on the Geomancer to help level, and the third uses Resist Fire to null Flamethrower
6) Alternate Dragon Powers and X-Potions (as needed) until the Geomancer is level 255.
7) Alternate Turtle Soups and X-Potions (as needed) until you drop six Turtle Soups on him, reducing his Magic Defense to 2.
8) Use Succubus Kiss as your offense, but only when a Wave Cannon is not the next attack on his agenda (lest you get combo'd out by Mustard Bomb + Wave Cannon). Pay attention to Omega's AI routine to sniff this out.
9) Golden Gear get

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Currently at the Barrier Tower with a Thief/Zerk/Beast/Samurai team. How much Reflect Rings do I need to grind for W2 Exdeath?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Four Characters with Catch can end the battle with Exdeath in the first round by releasing Yellow Dragons, but that takes quite a bit of grinding. Having two characters with Catch is much more reasonable, though, and that can take him down to about 14'000 HP. From there, Zeninage will do somewhere around 1500-2000 damage unless you're at a low level, and the Berserker does decent damage as well. Plus, you'll have the Aegis and Ice Shield helping you out.

Basically you shouldn't need any Reflect Rings with this team. Maybe one if you absolutely want to be on the safe side.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You'll probably want one or two if you decide to do Fork Tower for Omni, at the very least, though I don't think that team really needs Fork Tower stuff anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It might possibly be worth it for the Titan Axe and the second Aegis Shield. Even then, you can steal Reflect Rings in Phoenix Tower, which I find less tedious than hoping for them to drop, or, if all else fails, you could go the Mage Masher/Zeninage route for Omniscient.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That's run #6 down. Today I learned that Flare Blade adds its +100 attack after Frog and Mini's stat reduction, meaning I had midgets and amphibans making GBS threads out 1000 damage attacks without breaking a sweat. :allears:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So where do I get blizzara? Liquid flame is not so easy with knight/MK

Like I do decent damage but I am losing the arms race.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nasgate posted:

So where do I get blizzara? Liquid flame is not so easy with knight/MK

Like I do decent damage but I am losing the arms race.

You can buy ~ara spells in the magic shop in Karnak. If you skipped it for being locked, that was just until you were thrown in jail.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

ERROR

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Unless you have two shield users or you're sucking so horribly on MeatDeath that you need to block Condemn or someshit, the Flame Shield offers a lot more utility until you can get the second shield. In particular, a knight with both flametongue and flame shield is essentially self sufficient.

It's by no means a super optimal decision but if you don't have the patience to grind out flame rings it's completely viable and acceptable. The Aegis is amazing, but moreso when you're dealing with the prospect of being blasted in one hit rather than enduring constant wearing attacks (as you often do before Cleft)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
In all three of my runs I've beat the abductor and opened the chest of crazy purple knockout gas.

PREPARE THE GIANT MIRROR!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That was the longest time it took to finish a fiesta run. Didn't help I'm trying to deal with 3 or 4 things simultaneously. Still, 2 of the other things should be done soon, and I can at least do half of my normal fiesta output.

Berserker Risk, White Mage, Berserker, Geomancer, Samurai. Everyone but Lenna Level 30, who was 28. Beat Shinryu. Shell was obviously a godsend for finishing it despite eating multiple Almagests and Grand Crosses. A pretty sloppy finish, but its good enough.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Still on my first run from yesterday. I beat garula with lv9 white mages all equipped with normal staffs because I forgot where the healing staff/flail were. Don't do this it sucks.

Got a lot better afterward, got Monk, then Mystic Knight, then Summoner, so I figure now's the game to do all the summoning sidequests.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Berserker Clutch is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX9JeMRjzY4&t=1121s

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zerk Clutch was my first ever Fiesta win... which is the sole reason i still have this image from, uh, 3 years ago. :v:

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
This is my first Fiesta win, too. Zerk Clutch Club represent.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Triple Crown victory!

Here is the party I ended up with:

First time joining the Fiesta and first time ever beating the game. Thank you to Kyrosiris for the Omega stratagy.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

When I kill the back part of NED with Odin, do the other parts return with full HP?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Mustard Iceman posted:

When I kill the back part of NED with Odin, do the other parts return with full HP?

Kill it last.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Come to Shinryu's Inflatable Zombounce House in the next 10 hours if u want an asskicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
Any thoughts on synergy between Ninja/Bard/Ranger/Dancer? I'm tempted to re-roll the Dancer or pick up some sort of caster via job fair.

• Locked thread